Ligue 1 | French Football 2021/22

CraftySoAndSo

I'll have to look that up, I'd not heard about that.

Yeah, Diaby is another one. Maybe Poch can start doing that next season, but I'm yet to really see him do that at PSG.
Here's the link to reddit with the whole leak Megathread: Romain Molina's claims against PSG from his latest video. : soccer (reddit.com)

Here's the Kalimuendo one
  • Kalimuendo was loaned to Lens past season with a 1.5 million euros buy-option, at the summer transfer window PSG paid 1.5 million euros to Lens to cancel the buy option thinking they could sell him for more and when the summer window almost ended PSG sent him back on loan to Lens.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm in Paris next weekend so considering whether to try to get tickets for the PSG vs. Marseille match - is the PSG website the best option for tickets? They are very expensive with fees, etc., but I'm sure that's the same for all resellers, plus this is last minute so I guess I'm unlikely to find cheaper.

Anywhere else I should try first?

Charlie Foley

Briand 90th minute winner VAR-ed in the build up. 7 minutes stoppage time. If bordeaux don’t win this (they were 2-0 up) I reckon they’re going down, despite ASSE’s tough run coming up

bucky

Harsh red for Lens. 0-0 PSG v Lens with 60 minutes played. Apparently Poch was booed.

Idxomer

Fofana has impressed me in both games against PSG, could easily see him in the PL.

Pintu

Really brave this Lens team. Equalising with 10- men.

PSG fans already started celebrating…

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe left his shooting boots at home today. Major props to Lens for their performance.

facchiano

Does Seko Fofana have the same midfield responsibilities as his namesake in Monaco Youssouf Fofana? Or is he more of a box-to-box midfielder?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's such a shit-show, the ultras left before the end of the game to celebrate outside, they get boo'd when they just wrapped up the Ligue 1 title, this whole culture of CL or bust is just terrible for any fanbase or players to go through.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's nice to get our tenth consecutive title, oh no wait that's Bayern, our 10th overall title. We get to put a cute little star somewhere on our jersey for next season. That's as good as a CL, right?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
No one cares for this title.

PSG fans don’t care because they know it’s a given that they will win it 9/10 times.

It’s essentially a league cup for them, the most important trophy and the only one that matters for PSG is the CL.

Your not going to impress the PSG fans or anyone by beating the mighty RC Lens or clermont foot.

Pocho

If only CL matters they will fail big time for years. It 's not easy and you need a great defence and Team. Not a bunch of superstars.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
No one cares for this title.

PSG fans don’t care because they know it’s a given that they will win it 9/10 times.

It’s essentially a league cup for them, the most important trophy and the only one that matters for PSG is the CL.

Your not going to impress the PSG fans or anyone by beating the mighty RC Lens or clermont foot.
10th title, which matches St Etienne. It has some historical relevance IMO, though I can't speak for their fans.

The fact that it's only their 10th just reminds you how young a club PSG are and how recent this overwhelming dominance is. Also, winning the league is better than not winning the league, like last season.

However, Marseille still get to hold that European Cup victory over Paris fans. It was so long ago but they've done it and PSG haven't. It reminds me of Celtic and Rangers a little bit in that sense.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
10th title, which matches St Etienne. It has some historical relevance IMO, though I can't speak for their fans.

The fact that it's only their 10th just reminds you how young a club PSG are and how recent this overwhelming dominance is. Also, winning the league is better than not winning the league, like last season.

However, Marseille still get to hold that European Cup victory over Paris fans. It was so long ago but they've done it and PSG haven't. It reminds me of Celtic and Rangers a little bit in that sense.
And that same season, it's very likely St. Etienne goes down to Ligue 2 which would be a huge shame for such a club.

SportingCP96

Supports

Ya I understand that but St etienne titles just like OM and OL or lille hold much more value.

Paris only don’t win the title if they don’t want too, they are at a completely different reality and level then anyone else in that league. They can go on cruise control and win the title. They will have double the titles then anyone in France in the near future.

Also it is inevitable PSG will win the CL eventually. Throw enough shit at the wall it will stick eventually.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Ya I understand that but St etienne titles just like OM and OL or lille hold much more value.

Paris only don’t win the title if they don’t want too, they are at a completely different reality and level then anyone else in that league. They can go on cruise control and win the title. They will have double the titles then anyone in France in the near future.

Also it is inevitable PSG will win the CL eventually. Throw enough shit at the wall it will stick eventually.
Who do you blame for them not winning the title last season?

ti vu

Leonardo. His feud with Tuchel leading to the German sacking. Poch despite even this title triumph is very underwhelming. Likely had Tuchel stayed for last season, they would not have lost the title to Lille. The point gap is too close, and because there was no getting to know the league like with Poch, PSG highly unlikely drop as too many point to relegation battlers.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Leonardo. His feud with Tuchel leading to the German sacking. Poch despite even this title triumph is very underwhelming. Likely had Tuchel stayed for last season, they would not have lost the title to Lille. The point gap is too close, and because there was no getting to know the league like with Poch, PSG highly unlikely drop as too many point to relegation battlers.
What doesn't get mentioned enough though is how brilliant Lille were, especially in the second half of the season, they just didn't lose and then immediately got picked apart once they won the title. You're right about the issues, but I don't think Tuchel would have won the league since Lille just didn't drop points.

Bondi77

Why do the top players go and play for this shithouse club when they are in a league where winning the title is a given.
I know they pay obscene wages but the top players make a fortune anyway regardless of where they play in Europe so surely they would want to play in a competitive league where they would be testing themselves.

SportingCP96

Supports
It’s an anomaly, hence why I said 9 out of 10 times they win it. Their will always be that one. I can comfortably and confidently say PSG will win 95% of the league titles in France without getting out of first gear.

Look how even last season without PSG being that good or playing at their best Lille still had to be dam near perfect to win it.

PSG fans are not impressed with a ligue 1. They should be winning it every single season because they have zero competition.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why do the top players go and play for this shithouse club when they are in a league where winning the title is a given.
I know they pay obscene wages but the top players make a fortune anyway regardless of where they play in Europe so surely they would want to play in a competitive league where they would be testing themselves.
Champion's league, Paris night life, a competitive team, owners ready to spoil them rotten, I can keep going if you want? There's only a couple of competitive leagues (not 1 or 2-horse races), and the PL is quickly in danger of being out of that club depending on how City go, and there's only so few clubs that have space available for all those players.

Only money talks now anyways, so the PL might become more competitive thanks to another limitless pit of money buying a new team, and Ligue 1 would need that as well to turn into a competitive one, but there's really no incentive with how far behind the league is commercially, it's just not viable unless you have a limitless pit of money.
Bayern is in no danger of really finding competition with their 10th consecutive title. If anything, Serie A might quickly becomes the more interesting out of all the top leagues. Let's say Mbappe joined City, would it really be much more competitive for him than being at PSG? Maybe, but it's minimal at best.

Bondi77

Champion's league, Paris night life, a competitive team, owners ready to spoil them rotten, I can keep going if you want? There's only a couple of competitive leagues (not 1 or 2-horse races), and the PL is quickly in danger of being out of that club depending on how City go, and there's only so few clubs that have space available for all those players.

Only money talks now anyways, so the PL might become more competitive thanks to another limitless pit of money buying a new team, and Ligue 1 would need that as well to turn into a competitive one, but there's really no incentive with how far behind the league is commercially, it's just not viable unless you have a limitless pit of money.
Bayern is in no danger of really finding competition with their 10th consecutive title. If anything, Serie A might quickly becomes the more interesting out of all the top leagues. Let's say Mbappe joined City, would it really be much more competitive for him than being at PSG? Maybe, but it's minimal at best.
You make valid points and your first sentence could easily be substituted with the three London clubs but the Champions League would have to be earned instead of a given.
I know it won't change as money talks but I just wonder about clubs like Bayern and PSG when the players must only really look forward to about 25% of their games in a season and that has never been the case in England.
In my opinion Citeh and the scousers will have their cycle just the same as we have and Arsenal had and Chelsea had and that is what makes the league the best.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You make valid points and your first sentence could easily be substituted with the three London clubs but the Champions League would have to be earned instead of a given.
I know it won't change as money talks but I just wonder about clubs like Bayern and PSG when the players must only really look forward to about 25% of their games in a season and that has never been the case in England.
In my opinion Citeh and the scousers will have their cycle just the same as we have and Arsenal had and Chelsea had and that is what makes the league the best.
Well Bayern, and the Bundesliga in general is different than PSG or Ligue 1 in the sense that German players don't really move abroad as much, so even though Bayern is also almost a guaranteed win, I would assume it's considered the epitome far more than for a French player to think PSG (or another club in Ligue 1) is that.

I'm not as convinced as you about the cycle for the PL, I think they're in danger of falling in the same trap themselves but at least there's far more money being trickled down throughout the league to have more options to do something about it, at least in theory, but I think all it really does is just increase the wages and narrows down the top teams even more. It's essentially been a semi 2-horse race lately if we ignore the weird COVID season (which City still handily wrapped up). If they get Haaland and he's past his injury woes, it's going to be bad for the PL's competitiveness IMO, but I honestly hope to be wrong. As much as I think some PL fans are insufferable, it's a great league to watch at times.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention, you also have to remember that the PL doesn't appeal to everybody not because they think it's hard, but because they don't like the style of play there. Benzema is a brilliant player, would absolutely do a job in the PL, but he's repeatedly said he doesn't like the league and wouldn't want to ever play there. It's also personal preferences.

SportingCP96

Supports

Considering the fact that it is almost impossible to win 3 EPL titles in a row let alone 10 means it’s just not true.

For all of City’s dominance they struggle to win back to bAck titles.

What makes the EPL the best is their are zero east games. At any given weekend the last placed team can beat the first placed team or a bottom half team will go to a contender and beat them 3-0.

Just a couple years ago Aston Villa beat pool 6-1.

In terms of competitiveness nothing comes close to the EPL that is why it is universally considered the greatest league in the world.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Considering the fact that it is almost impossible to win 3 EPL titles in a row let alone 10 means it’s just not true.

For all of City’s dominance they struggle to win back to bAck titles.

What makes the EPL the best is their are zero east games. At any given weekend the last placed team can beat the first placed team or a bottom half team will go to a contender and beat them 3-0.

Just a couple years ago Aston Villa beat pool 6-1.

In terms of competitiveness nothing comes close to the EPL that is why it is universally considered the greatest league in the world.
Considering City could win 4 of the last 5 by the end of this season, I'll say it happens within the 2020's, definitely wouldn't use 'almost impossible' for that scenario. The PL is becoming a 1 1/2-horse race for the past 5 years, that's already half a decade. Could that change? Sure, with the money the PL generates, a club like Chelsea, Newcastle, or United can find a way to compete, but that's all hypothetical right now.

Your scenario about Aston Villa applies to basically any league out there, even Bayern got pasted by Borussia Mönchengladbach 5-0 in the cup, but they play the same league as well, same for PSG or whatever other dominant team you want to talk about. It's as rare in the PL as it is in those other leagues, but it happens and is in no way an indicator of strength because those bottom 10 teams are just as bad as those from other leagues IMO, they're a park-the-bus bunch more often than not that are tough to break down but will eventually fold 9 times out of 10, just like with any other league bottom 10 sides dealing with a contender.

It's not as competitive as you make it out, there's a pretty sizeable gap between City/Liverpool and the rest of the league, with City having a big chunk of the titles over Liverpool in that time.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Not even PSG’s own players or fans give a shit about winning that dead rubber of a league. Tons of fans left with 15 minutes to go and the stadium was completely empty ten minutes after full time. Players didn’t do a lap of honour, no applause, nothing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a total fecking embarrassment of a shit show. That club begins and ends with Qatari oil money, from the players to the “trophies”. There’s zero substance beyond that.