Ligue 1 | French Football 2022/23

BuddaBuddy

Supports
Spurs
Apologize if this is the wrong place to post, but an own thread seems a bit over the top even though my question is Ligue 2 related.
Anyways: Can someone provide insight into what's going on with St. Etienne?
Any chance of next season being better?

Sad to see them struggling near the bottom of Ligue 2, even with 2 wins on the bounce..

Zen

I'm not even sure who half of these PSG players are.... some depth.

Supports
Barcelona
Why did they hire Galtier? What did he actually achieve in his managerial career?

stu_1992

I just thought it was funny how every bad result or performance was highlighted and there was talk about how Galtier is proving Poch to be out of his depth. They started well, no doubt but I wasn't impressed with them in the CL group stage despite mostly good results, nor in their recent games. It doesn't vindicate his struggles but his criticism was over the top on here imo
Honestly I think that's partly because he was considered a contender for United then. It was long rumoured he wanted United and United wanted him. So anything good or bad was used as ammo for/against that. As it turned out he had a bad time there, so the thread was quite negative.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Why did they hire Galtier? What did he achieve in his managerial career?
His achievements from Lille and Nice were pretty impressive. Especially since he brought Lille to win the league over PSG in 2020/2021. He also upgraded Nice from 9th place in 2020/2021 to 5th place in 2021/2022. To be fair, his style of coaching wasn't attacking or fascinating in people's eyes like Klopp, Pep, or ETH. His style of coaching is a bit pragmatic. Anyway from what I've seen, he seems to give a lot of chances to youngsters.

Charlie Foley

If Poch was in charge his thread would have been bumped so many times this season. Even after Galtier's positive start many said Poch was holding them back.

He may still go onto win the CL this season but I don't think the job is as easy as some make out.
Well no one on here calls for Galtier to manage us, a LOT of people were calling for that with Poch and for a while it looked certainty possible, so of course his struggles are going to attract more commentary.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
:lol: Whoever decided that Galtier is a good fit for PSG deserves to be sacked. Poor guy is just another one in a classic Cowman Setien at Barca situation ..totally out of place..

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
PSG highlights were awful today.
Donnarumma produced what DDG used to between 2014-2018, and still they conceded 3.

Charlie Foley

Awful loss for Bordeaux today. Going to be really disappointing if they don’t make it back up this year. The league reduction making it much more tense

avgp_1

Assist and now a goal for Cherki. Harsh on Lens, they have looked more dangerous

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I remember seeing a lot of comments in the summer about PSG fixing their midfield with all these players.
We fixed nothing. We've been purchasing bland midfielders after bland midfielders for almost a decade now, our transfer choices are terrible. The owners never realized we should have bought 1 great midfielders instead average ones we (over)paid 30M each.

This club has no vision at the moment, the fact that we're even considering extending Messi's and Ramos' contracts when we have no leeway regarding our payroll is ridiculous.

avgp_1

It looks tricky for Lens now. They have to improve away from home to get that CL spot

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Marseille to win the league?
The game against PSG in 10 days will be very important. If PSG looses, everything is up for grab even if I think it'll still be hard for Marseille as Tudor's style requires a lot of energy and they might fall flat in april or so. On top of that, it's likely PSG will be eliminated by Bayern in the CL so we'll only have ligue 1 to focus on.

avgp_1

This has been a fine turn around from Auxerre. You wouldn't think they are 19th looking at this performance