Lindelof an option for DM?

sugar_kane

In terms of attributes he’s not dissimilar to Daley Blind (I actually thought Blind was better but that’s for another thread...) who played that position quite a bit.

Given Lindelof’s shaky start to the season at the back and our lack of options at DM it could be a good fit. He has a good eye for a pass and his biggest weakness is aerial where his duties would decrease (albeit not entirely) in midfield.

This could give game time to Jones/Tuanzabe (or Smalling if he’d stuck around) and from what I gather he has played the position before.

I know Pereira has also played there but I think that may have just been José being an awkward bastard as Pereira can’t time a tackle for shit.

Marcelinho87

No.

We need to stop forcing players out of position. If they are not good in enough in their supposed natural position then feck them off, we need to be more ruthless.

Bwuk

No - plus then who do we play next to Maguire? Have faith in Tuanzebe or Rojo/Jones...

Jimmy_Bond

The sad thing is Blind is a better DM and a better CB than Lindelof.

Scotty McT

Do other clubs create dynasties out of playing players in the wrong position or is it just United.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, don't think he will do well as a DM.

Denis79

Think he has the passing and football intelligence for the DM role but isn't brave, agressive nor physical enough.

Bestietom

In terms of attributes he’s not dissimilar to Daley Blind (I actually thought Blind was better but that’s for another thread...) who played that position quite a bit.

Given Lindelof’s shaky start to the season at the back and our lack of options at DM it could be a good fit. He has a good eye for a pass and his biggest weakness is aerial where his duties would decrease (albeit not entirely) in midfield.

This could give game time to Jones/Tuanzabe (or Smalling if he’d stuck around) and from what I gather he has played the position before.

I know Pereira has also played there but I think that may have just been José being an awkward bastard as Pereira can’t time a tackle for shit.
Don't agree with playing another player out of position. We may stick with Matic in a double with McTominay until we maybe bring someone here in January, or hope Garner is ready.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Oh my fecking god. Please stop with this mad obsession of suggesting using every single player out of position.

ICHM

Is this a joke, no he would not make a good DM. He's a second rate centre half who should be in the bench.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like this idea. He has good passing, interceptions and tackling, but lacks aerial ability. I think he'd make for a great DM if given time to adapt to the role.

People on here love to dismiss ideas but history shows sometimes a change of position greatly benefits a player. Bale started as a left back, Henry was a left midfielder, many more examples too.

Skills

Snitch
Lindelof doesn't do anything with the ball. Maguire would be a better DM than him, but he's obviously the best CB at the club.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I like this idea. He has good passing, interceptions and tackling, but lacks aerial ability. I think he'd make for a great DM if given time to adapt to the role.

People on here love to dismiss ideas but history shows sometimes a change of position greatly benefits a player. Bale started as a left back, Henry was a left midfielder, many more examples too.
You have named 2 players here, both attacking. You cant just take a player who has been trained at a certain position for 10 years and expect him to adapt to a position. There is a reason why defenders tend to mature later than attacking players, in defence its your ability to read the game and also your positional awareness that often makes the difference, both of which usually take time.

shayanr

I'll prefer Lindelof in 3-5-2 but it will only work if we have attacking full backs

Kurton

Don't understand our club and fanbase's obsession with playing players out of position. Either we play them in their natural position or if they are not good enough, sell them. Haven't we learned enough from Mata, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, recently Pogba, Young, Lingard, James (till the last game) and many more. Players are not as effective if we don't play them in their natural position.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No.

We need to stop forcing players out of position. If they are not good in enough in their supposed natural position then feck them off, we need to be more ruthless.
Aside from fans making threads on here about centre backs and fullbacks at DM and midfielders as strikers, when did we last player anyone out of position?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Aside from fans making threads on here about centre backs and fullbacks at DM and midfielders as strikers, when did we last player anyone out of position?
I'm guessing people are possibly thinking about Valencia and Young moving from wings to full backs. Maybe Martial playing out wide. But to be fair none of those would bother me too much.

I think trying to find 2 people to play that role at the base of midfield is your issue, 4231 doesn't feel right to me, I think you'd be better off in a 433 and that would remove the issue to certain extent.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You have named 2 players here, both attacking. You cant just take a player who has been trained at a certain position for 10 years and expect him to adapt to a position. There is a reason why defenders tend to mature later than attacking players, in defence its your ability to read the game and also your positional awareness that often makes the difference, both of which usually take time.
Lahm went from full back to DM in his late twenties. Desailly went from CB to DM and back again in his mid twenties and thirties.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Tuanzebe has actually played a DM type role for us in the last game of the 16/17 season vs Crystal Palace, where he played really well.

I think he'd be a better fit there, but I'm not a big fan of playing him all over the place and would rather play him where we see his future being, which is probably at CB.

SambaBoy

Massive difference in the two positions. Without any previous experience, I think it would be too difficult to slot into DM at one of the biggest clubs in the world. In addition, he hasn't really shown much to suggest he would be a success in that role. Hasn't shown an expansive passing game and isn't aggressive enough.

TRUERED89

Try it in a cup game! and see what happens, not like we're spoilt for options. Matic, Mct, Fred, Garner..

Scotty McT

Pep was pretty good at it with Barca
Touché. With United over the past ten years we've seen some truly baffling positional choices like Fergie playing Rafael and Park in central midfield, or the fact that two bang average converted wingers were at one time our first choice full backs. Pep does seem to have an amazing ability to spot that a player can play in another position at a high level.

Cabin Clown

Doesn't have anything close the distribution level needed to play as a DM.

LuessiT

Massive difference in the two positions. Without any previous experience, I think it would be too difficult to slot into DM at one of the biggest clubs in the world. In addition, he hasn't really shown much to suggest he would be a success in that role. Hasn't shown an expansive passing game and isn't aggressive enough.
He's featured as a DM for Benfica on occasions. So he does have some experience.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
eee no? Midfielders should play in midfield and he is our 2nd best central defender, so he needs to play in defence. Don't waste time to invent some 2022 meta.

iHicksy

I've just realised that Jonny Evans and Lindelof are actually very similar players. For some reason this has shocked me.

Reynoldo

defensive midfielder to CB, not the other way round though. and he was able to do it because Barca dominated possession so much.
He didn't do it because Barca were crap and lacked synergy as a team. Much easier to do it when your team is nearly unbeatable.
And I should prefaced my comment in saying that I was in no way advocating the OP's idea I was merely answering that specific posters comment. But yes, agree totally, its much easier to make brave moves like switching players positions when your team unit as a whole is a finely tuned machine. For us to do it now the way things are going would be a(nother) major risk.

Skills

Snitch
Dalot has probably played as much at RW for as RB

Ekeke

Would be a very mediocre DM, Blind was better there and a much better passer. But yes it stops him being such a big weakness in the team

stevoc

Now that you mention it that could really work but then that leaves a gap in defence which has got me thinking.

Lingard an option for CB?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No.
This, 1001%, this..!!

Marcelinho87

Young - LB/RB - Wouldn't happen anywhere else.
Valencia - RB - While he became decent there it was just a cop out so the club didn't have to spend and went on far too long.
Mata - RW - Never has been good out there.
Rojo - LB - Same as Mata

No doubt there is more but this was quickly off the top of my head.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Even as a defensive option in midfield, Lindelof has so missing attributes. Aggression, for starters. Ability to see passes coming and cut them out early. Pace to react on counters and make a last-minute tackle. Can he resist a high-press? Can he at least make Matic's half turns? Can he run with the ball for at least 10 yards?

Blind had good anticipation, and used to make some handy interceptions as a consequence. He was very composed under pressure as well and his positioning made up for his lack of pace. His off the ball movement was underrated and most of all, his passing was brilliant. How many of these attributes does Lindelof share?

In short, no. I don't think Lindelof would be the answer to our CB/DM problems.