Lindelof - new DM?

Mylock

I've watched Lindelof over the last few seasons and have come to the opinion that he could make a top-class DM. I believe what we need is a player who can close down space, tackle, can pass through the lines, composed on the ball, and is a good reader of the game; Victor has all these attributes; he's far more suited to the DM role than CH as he is not physical enough or good enough in the air for the role. It's a Carrick like the player we need, and Lindelof could be worth a go in the position.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
No. Takes a whole different level of technical ability to play as a midfielder for Manchester United. I remember a few years ago when we all wanted Rio to play as a #6 and he was out of his depth when we tried him once in midfield. Rio was twice the player VNL is.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No. Playing good passes from CB is different from playing as a DM.

podurban2

No, and I doubt we will ever see it. Victor will be a good squad player and step in when we want to play three at the back. Nothing more than that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will RedCafe’s obsession with playing players out of position ever end? It was Wan Bissaka just before Lindelof.

Who’s next? Dan James at RB?

darioterios

What about the ability to receive a pass under pressure from potentially every direction though?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hate these threads so much. Just because a player has 1/2 attributes that are required for a position doesn’t mean they could play that position. There’s like hundreds of other things to consider and that means hundreds of reasons why not.

Red00012

——————GK—————————

James - Maguire - Matic - Fred

————— Lindelof——————

Caf logic

podurban2

——————GK—————————

————— Lindelof——————

Caf logic
It’s a very small amount of posters that think this is a good idea. Not sure why you would call it ”caf logic”.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
——————GK—————————

————— Lindelof——————

Caf logic
Im interested to know what @Dante thinks of having Dan James up front, Fred in goal and former Leeds player Gary Kelly on the opposite wing to Lindelof.

youngrell

Until he’s tried there, you never know, but it’s a massive ask for any CB.

Playing passes from the back when you only have to worry about what is in front of you is so easy compared to having potential opponents from any and every angle, not to mention less space and time on the ball to make those passes.

SirAnderson

Was wondering when this thread would be made. It comes from the pity of seeing Lindelof losing his place to Varane, and wanting him to still play rather than be a rotation player.
End of the day, don't play players out of their position because you feel for them. He has never played in that position, and only Ole and the coaches would know if there is a remote possibility he could make that move, so a bit pointless considering it here.

Polar

I've watched Lindelof over the last few seasons and have come to the opinion that he could make a top-class DM. I believe what we need is a player who can close down space, tackle, can pass through the lines, composed on the ball, and is a good reader of the game; Victor has all these attributes; he's far more suited to the DM role than CH as he is not physical enough or good enough in the air for the role. It's a Carrick like the player we need, and Lindelof could be worth a go in the position.
Not a change.. Maybe in 99/2000, but not today. He does neither have technical skills, aggression or the work rate needed to be a good DM:(

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No but if Rice could play that role, why not Lindelof. (always thought Rice is like a CB playing in midfield)

R'hllor

God forbid we have him on a bench, so lets try to force him into some other position.

It's a whole different thing to be always facing the play as a CB than to be in midfield where you need to always know what's all around you. I can't think of a single CB who would be technically competent enough to play midfield.

A-man

He has some of the attributes and has played there when he was younger (much younger), but think he’s too old to re-learn. But we’ll never know until it’s been tried.

I’ve seen some suggest he should play more RB as well. For me that’s a position where he’s close to useless, just like the other CBs we have. Ok to fill in when we get an unexpected injury during a game or so, but should be last alternative.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
God forbid we have him on a bench, so lets try to force him into some other position.
My thoughts exactly, must shoehorn him in. What happens if we buy a DM will we try to shoehorn him into keeper then? At some point people need to admit that he’s a bench player at United

Abraxas

Will RedCafe’s obsession with playing players out of position ever end? It was Wan Bissaka just before Lindelof.

Who’s next? Dan James at RB?
I actually don't think this is the most ridiculous idea! Well, I wouldn't try him as a right back but as a wing back, he might do a job. Uses most of his best attributes - workrate, running power, less focus on the final output and more on what he can do to offer an outlet.

Lindelof as a midfielder is a load of rubbish, far too cumbersome and slow thinking.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Stop proving my point, lads

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
who are you taking out of the team to put lindelof in midfield? :lol: