Lindelof signs new contract until 2024 (+1)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Predictable. This is what we all feared when Ole took over. He's only interested in looking after his countrymen.

stubie

I'm not sure he's that good - I think he only looked good in comparison to the dross around him. But we have much more pressing areas of the squad to address and far worse players than him, so it makes sense to keep him around.
He will improve alongside Maguire

Ban

I don’t really have time to go trawling through my post history but if you want to go ahead. I just distinctly remember being called a Liverpool fan for saying how good Klopp is and the potential that squad has. I’d rather wait and see if this latest prediction comes off, I think Lindelof and Maguire will form our best partnership since Rio and Vida by a mile .
It's just a joke mate. :)

jackal&hyde

He was probably on relatively low wages and now he is a undisputed starter, so it makes sense. There is supposed interest from other big clubs so it's a good move by the club. Very happy with this!

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Probably to adjust his wages too which were, supposedly (if we are to trust the internet), close to 1/3 of what Maguire makes p/w? After all, he's without a shadow of a doubt a regular starter for Solskjaer. Seems the logical thing to do for the dressing room atmosphere to remain good. Good player, happy he's willing to commit his future to the club for the longterm and be a part of the new team we're trying to build. And so glad that we've finally decided to move on from Jones-Smalling, one of the best calls Ole has made thus far.

redcafe_reader

Strange first replies in here! This is great news, despite what many think I believe the club are heading in a really exciting direction. Lindelof has proven his quality over the last season despite what his critics say and it’s great news that he’s signed up long term. I truly believe we will look back at the Maguire and Lindelof partnership as one of our best ever.
Wise wisdom from Trust In Januzaj.

I don’t really have time to go trawling through my post history but if you want to go ahead. I just distinctly remember being called a Liverpool fan for saying how good Klopp is and the potential that squad has. I’d rather wait and see if this latest prediction comes off, I think Lindelof and Maguire will form our best partnership since Rio and Vida by a mile .
There is a bit different between "one of our best ever" and "best partnership since Rio and Vida" don't you think so?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Disagree, it's about time we started signing players up to new contracts 2 years before they're about to expire

Though I guess with the one year option this one is 3 years... but still, i'm all for the club sorting contracts out earlier going forward.
Yes, it's basically 3 years and I recon he's got a payrise. Payrise for what exactly?

romufc

Don't rate him at all... what has he done to deserve a new contract? He can't even head a ball!
I guess you only watch Highlights of Manutd games?

He only has to deal with 1 header a game which he misses right?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yes, it's basically 3 years and I recon he's got a payrise. Payrise for what exactly?
Maybe he learnt how you head a ball on Monday and this was his reward?

Reckon a cinema gift card would have been more suitable

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Predictable. This is what we all feared when Ole took over. He's only interested in looking after his countrymen.
Whooooooooosh.

Currently we're on joint fewest goals conceded and joint highest number of clean sheets in the league. And that's with Lindelof having some dodgy moments. Which are out of character based on form over most of last season.

Looks like we might have finally sorted out our defence and they're all here on long term contracts. Great stuff.

Gandalf

Convenient during renewal talks eh?

It's probably the right time to do it otherwise we end up over a barrel like De Gea. Hopefully it's not ridiculous money so that we can shift him later on because we'll want better than him to be competitive again.
Pretty reliable sources in Spain confirmed the Barca interest was real, seems once they knew De Ligt was not coming they zeroed in on Lindelof but we gave them a pretty firm no.

So far as the contract, he was supposedly on 75k a week and we were offering to double that to 150k. Those were the numbers floating around a couple of weeks ago so presumably it is in that range which is again pretty much par for an established first team player at this club.

izec

Should have done this policy earlier. I am neutral on Lindelöf, but it is better to tie players down earlier than let them run down their contracts. If we want to keep him long term, good decision

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Some people here seems surprised. I'm sure this was mentioned in papers and online for awhile. I'm pleased - I think he's by far our best CB to play alongside maguire. I always felt he would be good and he looks so much better not playing next to Smalling or Jones

Tarrou

good decision, its starting to feel as if the club knows what its doing again

redshaw

Makes sense. He's first choice now and was brought in to progress so wages would've been lowish.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
By the way, central defenders are a partnership. They will take time to gel properly and there's bound to be teething problems. So far this season these have been most evident with mistakes from Lindelof but we've every reason to hope the partnership will to go from strength to strength. Considering their ages, this improvement could continue over the length of this new contract.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pretty reliable sources in Spain confirmed the Barca interest was real, seems once they knew De Ligt was not coming they zeroed in on Lindelof but we gave them a pretty firm no.

So far as the contract, he was supposedly on 75k a week and we were offering to double that to 150k. Those were the numbers floating around a couple of weeks ago so presumably it is in that range which is again pretty much par for an established first team player at this club.
Yes his agent, talking to 'Mundo Deportivo'.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Excellent news. Lindelof is getting better and better. There have been rumours of Barcelona sniffing around him, which doesn't surprise me. He'd be excellent in their system. We don't want players going into the last two years of their contracts.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
By the way, central defenders are a partnership. They will take time to gel properly and there's bound to be teething problems. So far this season these have been most evident with mistakes from Lindelof but we've every reason to hope the partnership will to go from strength to strength. Considering their ages, this improvement could continue over the length of this new contract.
I really don't think he has made any mistakes. Not in the way the caf thinks anyway. He lost two headers. Are those mistakes, or him just not being that great in the air? One of those was to a 6'5" behemoth btw.

True, but CBs aren't the only partnerships in a team tbh x

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So in every 2 years he will renew his contract here, if that's the new policy.
Great.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I really don't think he has made any mistakes. Not in the way the caf thinks anyway. He lost two headers. Are those mistakes, or him just not being that great in the air? One of those was to a 6'5" behemoth btw.
I thought he fecked up quite badly against Crystal Palace. He lost a header to a fairly short player and if he wasn’t certain of winning the header he shouldn’t have competed for it. The moment he got beaten he was completely out of the game.

Agree the “mistake” vs Soton wasn’t too bad.

dove

I thought he fecked up quite badly against Crystal Palace. He lost a header to a fairly short player and if he wasn’t certain of winning the header he shouldn’t have competed for it. The moment he got beaten he was completely out of the game.

Agree the “mistake” vs Soton wasn’t too bad.
He didn't win the header but it happens, you can't win every single one of them. The problem was that there was literally no cover from the teammates.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So in every 2 years he will renew his contract here, if that's the new policy.
Great.
It doesn't seem right but it's the way the game is going. Agents will drag these contract discussions out for months and we end up in De Gea and Herrera situations.

If we started negotiating this time next year it would soon be approaching one year remaining, a few months before he can discuss leaving for nothing with foreign clubs. We're approaching this situation with Pogba (although i expect he'll be leaving instead).

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I do really like the direction we're going in off the field. Finally getting rid of players who aren't good enough/don't wanna be here, and bringing in/extending the contracts of good, young players who want to play for the club.

For all the talk of lack of direction that has been labelled at this club for season after season (and rightly so), we seem to be on to something here.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
People moan when we let contracts run down to two seasons. People moan when we renew contracts early.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why are people criticizing this? If Barca want him in a few years he will be premium IF he doesnt stay here and become a top player which is doable.
Yesterday I read harsh criticism that the club waited until the last minute to extend players, now Im reading harsh criticism that the club extended a player way before his contract runs out.

Manchester United, where everything you ever do is wrong to someone.

Charlie Foley

In my time watching United I've been lucky enough to see 3 top quality partnerships.

Bruce & Pallister
Vidic & Ferdinand
Jaap & Stam

We'll be lucky if Maguire & Lindelof come even close.
Alright he was good but he wasn’t “two people” good

Amerifan

Should have done this policy earlier. I am neutral on Lindelöf, but it is better to tie players down earlier than let them run down their contracts. If we want to keep him long term, good decision
Agree. Even if we don’t decide to keep him the contract gives us negotiating power. Smart move assuming reasonable wages.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Don’t really have a problem with Lindelof signing a new deal, however I do believe he will become more of a squad player for us in the next few seasons and we will sign a replacement to partner Maguire.

Not saying he is a bad player, but I don’t rate him as highly as the majority do on here it seems.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yesterday I read harsh criticism that the club waited until the last minute to extend players, now Im reading harsh criticism that the club extended a player way before his contract runs out.

Manchester United, where everything you ever do is wrong to someone.
Yep apparently she should let players we bought for £40M run their contracts down all the time

Gandalf