Lindelof signs new contract until 2024 (+1)

0le

Good to get him tied down. Gomes next please.

Revan

Assumptionman
His current contract was valid until 2021, with plus one year option. This club is weird :lol:
Cause it worked well offering contracts to Herrera and De Gea only in the last 18 months of the contract, right? Lindelof fully deserved a new one, considering the progress he has made. He came as a young player, but for the last 18 months he has been an undisputed first choice. He is also young and doesn't get injured so it is a relatively risk free contract extension.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Strange first replies in here! This is great news, despite what many think I believe the club are heading in a really exciting direction. Lindelof has proven his quality over the last season despite what his critics say and it’s great news that he’s signed up long term. I truly believe we will look back at the Maguire and Lindelof partnership as one of our best ever.
With your username your believe is rather dodgy

Gopher Brown

In my time watching United I've been lucky enough to see 3 top quality partnerships.

Bruce & Pallister
Vidic & Ferdinand
Jaap & Stam

We'll be lucky if Maguire & Lindelof come even close.
Stam never really had a truly great partner though. He played with Berg, Johnsen, Brown and Silvestre really, I’d say Johnsen was his best, but he was prone to the odd bout of dodge.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really like where United are going with players in/out. It's great to see a long term plan being put into effect. Not having to worry about key players moving on over the next 3/4 years HAS to be a good thing. Once the Pogba issue has been resolved we can fully push on to the next phase. Lindelof will come good I'm sure of it. This is great news.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Strange first replies in here! This is great news, despite what many think I believe the club are heading in a really exciting direction. Lindelof has proven his quality over the last season despite what his critics say and it’s great news that he’s signed up long term. I truly believe we will look back at the Maguire and Lindelof partnership as one of our best ever.
Wtf are you smoking? He’s the most overrated defender we’ve had since Phil Jones rocked up as Duncan Edwards reincarnated

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
How could anyone think that his deal is negative :houllier:

We have now a good long-term CB basis with him, Maguire and hopefully Tuanzebe.

Shaw must improve his form or a new LB next summer then our defence would look very solid for the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Ban

Whooooooooosh.

Currently we're on joint fewest goals conceded and joint highest number of clean sheets in the league. And that's with Lindelof having some dodgy moments. Which are out of character based on form over most of last season.

Looks like we might have finally sorted out our defence and they're all here on long term contracts. Great stuff.
Agree. ;)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Wise wisdom from Trust In Januzaj.

There is a bit different between "one of our best ever" and "best partnership since Rio and Vida" don't you think so?
Well not really considering if they are our best partnership since Rio and Vidic they are likely to have been consistently good over a prolonged period of time which will in turn mean they are one of our best ever partnerships. As other posters have highlighted theres only actually been 3/4 world class CB partnerships at Utd, I think Maguire and Lindelof have the potential to be that well revered.

LoneStar

Good news, that's hopefully going to be a well settled back 4 (plus GK) now. Worst case scenario, he would be 3rd choice, but we have far higher priorities in other areas.

I hope we buy a midfielder at least in January, and then heavily invest in both attack and midfield next summer.

TrustInJanuzaj

With your username your believe is rather dodgy
Yeah fair enough you're free to believe what you want, the reality is we are never right 100% of the time, only time will tell if this time i'm right or wrong.

TrustInJanuzaj

Wtf are you smoking? He’s the most overrated defender we’ve had since Phil Jones rocked up as Duncan Edwards reincarnated
I disagree, from what I see Lindelof is hugely underrated by supporters and rivals. People always say "what are his world class attributes" personally I think is composure on the ball is brilliant and will only get better with more games/confidence. Additionally, for all the critique of his aerial game his defending on the deck is phenomenal as he's strong both positionally and with his awareness. Does he need to be stronger in certain situations? Of course he does but he's still a very young defender and I have no doubts he will continue to improve.

Kamprad

Great news!
I’m swedish and in the swedish newspapers I think I’ve found the reason they give him a new contract so soon. There was apparantely a paragraph in the old contract saying Victor wasn’t allowed to hurt his head or take part in activities where head injurys could occur. The paragraph didn’t specify where and why this wasn’t allowed(outside of football) and this is said to be the reason why Victor hasn’t been able to win aerial balls or participate in offensive corners. But with this new contract the problem has finally been dealt with and Victor is looking forward to play his game the way he want to without restrictions.

Reactions: golden_blunder

AshRK

Great news!
I’m swedish and in the swedish newspapers I think I’ve found the reason they give him a new contract so soon. There was apparantely a paragraph in the old contract saying Victor wasn’t allowed to hurt his head or take part in activities where head injurys could occur. The paragraph didn’t specify where and why this wasn’t allowed(outside of football) and this is said to be the reason why Victor hasn’t been able to win aerial balls or participate in offensive corners. But with this new contract the problem has finally been dealt with and Victor is looking forward to play his game the way he want to without restrictions.
Surely that cannot be correct. He is signing for a football club to play football and not participate in modelling.

bludsucker

In my time watching United I've been lucky enough to see 3 top quality partnerships.

Bruce & Pallister
Vidic & Ferdinand
Jaap & Stam

We'll be lucky if Maguire & Lindelof come even close.
I know jaap stam was good. But he wasn’t that good that he could be called a partnership all by himself.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Great news!
Well that's strange...

I honestly can't see how that could ever be true though.

Were any credible Swedish news outlets reporting this?

Alabaster Codify7

I don't think this was necessary until the summer. If he continues to make mistakes and cost us points with his complete lack of physical presence, he'll be yet another second stringer earning big money (if the club has ambition, of course, to replace him in the starting 11). If he'd improved this season by all means extend him, but yet again our club jumps the gun on things that are not pressing matters.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Great news!
:lol:

Assuming you’re joking

mu4c_20le

Great news!
:lol: post of the year candidate

stu_1992

Good news, albeit surprising news. Wouldn't have expected him to be next in the pecking order for a new deal, but I'm not complaining. Has come a long way as a player since his beginning here, although he has looked a bit shaky at the start of this season, hopefully he settlles down again and himself and Maguire can form a good partnership.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: I admire the optimism, but that's mad.
Mad, isn’t it? Understandably from his username, seems like it wasn’t that long he follows United.

Anyway with this contract. I’m glad the club is starting to do the sensible thing. It seems like after getting shafted by DDG, Shaw, Martial, Rashford, and Herrera contracts, they learn their lesson. Although it took a fecking long time to learn it.

Denis79

Great news!
Haha :lol:, joke right?

davidmichael

Well that kind of came from nowhere but good news regardless, he’s still only young for a centre back and will hopefully only get better so we’ve got him tied down now for what should be his prime years.

finneh

Good news. Hopefully on top of clearing out expensive deadwood Ole has implemented a system of offering new contracts at 3 years and selling at 2 years if not agreed (I suspect Pogba will be next - sign or sold).

Offering contracts at 18 months and consequently players going for nothing was plain stupid. Plus it's cheaper - I imagine he'll have got maybe a 10-15% uplift along with a modest sign on fee... Leave it another year and he'd be looking for twice that.

crossy1686

career ending
Seems like a pay rise due to the Maguire deal and him being first choice partner, along with maybe one of the big boys sniffing around. Barcelona were interested last year weren’t they?

Makes sense to tie him down to a big contract.

vanderstar

Predictable. This is what we all feared when Ole took over. He's only interested in looking after his countrymen.
"We" as in the caf?! feared that Ole ONLY was interested in looking after the Norwegians at the club? This must be the silliest post ever.

I think it's great that Lindelof(Swedish) is secure. Defensive issues hopefully in the past so we can repair our midfield.

mancave bear

Great. Then we dont get another De Gea situation : )

Last edited:

Dread Devil

Good news, I think he will become a great defender alongside Maguire. It’s nice to see some stability and planning rather than last minute panic.

Reactions: Penna