Lindelof signs new contract until 2024 (+1)

ICHM

I am saddened that we felt the need to extend him, just don't think he is of the required standard, backup at best. We need another starting CB with Maguire. Rojo and Jones need offloading this season.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I am saddened that we felt the need to extend him, just don't think he is of the required standard, backup at best. We need another starting CB with Maguire. Rojo and Jones need offloading this season.
There are far more pressing needs than our defence over the next 2-3 windows. Apart from a couple of bad moments the defence has been very good so far this season

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm fine with this. Lindelof is good and has plenty of room to improve. I'd not be against bringing in a tip top class partner for Maguire but Rojo, Jones and Bailly can go before the Swede.

Stevondo8

So of the current first choice xi, thats at least 9 tied down for a while (back 5 + Rashford, James, Martial and Scott, not 100% sure how long Shaw is contracted for though). That’s the foundations of a solid squad. If we focus on midfield signings/contract renewals for the next 2 windows then we might be getting somewhere.

Shalashaska

I'm guessing he got a decent pay rise as well as the additional years.

I think with Maguire coming in for such big money, he wanted the club to back him as first choice for a few years (which he likely will be).

I would much rather have him settled, focused and tied into a contract rather than a year down the line hearing a load of rumours that he is off and leaving us floundering looking for another solid CB.

We shouldn't let a single player under 30 get down to 2 years on their contract, because this is when they can cause issues. We bemoan losing Herrera, but look how many times that has happened to Arsenal. City give out contracts left right and centre and because of that they never lose players they want to keep.

Zlatattack

He had a good season for us last season. Hopefully him and Maguire will gel this season. Given time we might have a Manchester United quality centre back pairing. I'm glad he's signed - we need less drama at this club. He's no Rio or Vidic, but then who is? We're not the team we used to be, but he's a good player who'll improve and hopefully help the club improve too.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We do have other pressing issues in midfield and RW which hopefully get addressed in the next summer window.

After that I’d like to trade in lindelof for a better cb as soon as budget allows it

TrustInOle

I feel Victor has been written off to soon by many fans on here. He is still young in terms of a defenders peak years as alot of it is experience, which he has failed to gain a consistent partner for throughout his stay in english football.

I see a young defender, who has comfortable having the ball into feet and coming out from the back, has an eye for making covering runs, which perfectly partners Harrys no nonsense, head first style.

Another thing worth mentioning is, he is one of the players ive not seen slacking off and walking about the pitch. Plays with passion, and slowly you can see you pride and determination that a United player should show. Very glad he is tied down long term, and once the balance of the whole squad settles in, we are gonna have a very strong and technically gifted defence, which the caf has been crying out for.

Amerifan

His old salary was £75k/week.
His new salary is £120k/week.

Sportac updates theirs very quickly.
I remember they had already updated De Gea salary from £200k/w to £375k/w one or two days before official announcement.
That explains the discrepancy between the sites. Thanks!

Fully Fledged

His current contract was valid until 2021, with plus one year option. This club is weird :lol:
He get's to the end of next year with 1 year left plus the option and we start complaining that we let our players get into the last year of their contract like Herrera. It's always better to renegotiate when the player is amicable to renegotiating.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hasan Cetinkaya: "They [Barcelona] contacted Ed Woodward on numerous occasions with concrete offers [for Lindelof]. I had a meeting with Matt Judge, to try to make a transition. But they just said: 'There is no chance. Victor is one of our best players'." [Aftonbladet]

poleglass red

I just can't see what this lad brings. He's poor in the air, can be bullied physically, isn't quick and he's not great with the ball. I've tried to like him, and was glad for him when his performances got better after his initial horror shows for us, but even his better isn't good enough for me anyway. Ideally we need someone to partner Maguire who has a bit of pace about him. He seems like a decent fella and that, but for a team who is rebuilding I don't see him at the heart of our defence for the forseeable.

Fosu-Mens

I just can't see what this lad brings. He's poor in the air, can be bullied physically, isn't quick and he's not great with the ball. I've tried to like him, and was glad for him when his performances got better after his initial horror shows for us, but even his better isn't good enough for me anyway. Ideally we need someone to partner Maguire who has a bit of pace about him. He seems like a decent fella and that, but for a team who is rebuilding I don't see him at the heart of our defence for the forseeable.
Both Lindelof and Maguire got limitations that makes our defence vulnerable against certain type of players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hasan Cetinkaya: "They [Barcelona] contacted Ed Woodward on numerous occasions with concrete offers [for Lindelof]. I had a meeting with Matt Judge, to try to make a transition. But they just said: 'There is no chance. Victor is one of our best players'." [Aftonbladet]
Supremely managed by Lindelöf's agent.

As if he had even a snowballs chance of going to Barcelona!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Someone said it right, when comparing him to Jonny Evans. Perhaps slightly better on the ball.
There was a really weird swing on the café from being horrified at seeing him in the lineup to suddenly rating him as a definite starter. I never understood that, even with the rest of our centre backs.

Lovely guy for sure, but so is Mata.

Infra-red

There is no way he managed to say any of that with a straight face.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Protecting his value obvs