Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I reckon Kate is undercover and it’s being kept from Steve. His promotion was only temp because AC12 already have a DI in Fleming
Yeah this is my theory too. Kate tipping off about the investigation was a classic UCO trust move. There’s also no obvious reason why she’s seducing her. Either she’s actually under cover or she smelt a rat early on and is positioning herself to be.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah this is my theory too. Kate tipping off about the investigation was a classic UCO trust move. There’s also no obvious reason why she’s seducing her. Either she’s actually under cover or she smelt a rat early on and is positioning herself to be.
Read that theory in the Mirror so I disregarded it.

Brophs

The One and Only
There is some comically bad acting in this series. Davison's ginger boss would genuinely look out of his depth on Hollyoaks. Kelly McDonald beating up her car at the end also looked like some sort of improv helmetry.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There is some comically bad acting in this series. Davison's ginger boss would genuinely look out of his depth on Hollyoaks. Kelly McDonald beating up her car at the end also looked like some sort of improve helmetry.
Still not as bad as this

But yeah those two you mentioned definitely stuck out.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I genuinely laughed out loud when she started hitting the windows. It was like they were doing a take of her in the car as it was submerging in a lake but shot it on land from the wrong angle outside the car and didn’t bother with any CGI water

Brophs

The One and Only
I genuinely laughed out loud when she started hitting the windows. It was like they were doing a take of her in the car as it was submerging in a lake but shot it on land from the wrong angle outside the car and didn’t bother with any CGI water
:lol:
Just watched it back. She's not really hitting the car at all. She's basically just high fiving different parts of the inside of her car.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Just watched it back. She's not really hitting the car at all. She's basically just high fiving different parts of the inside of her car.

The big reveal at the end of this series will be that the phone released 3 caffeinated wasps into her car

AgentSmith

She's a bit rubbish is Kelly MacDonald
I’ve seen her in a few other things and she was actually pretty good.

The bad acting seems to be a constant throughout the show so I think it’s probably more to do with the script and constant police jargon.

Hastings and Lindsey Denton seemed to be the only ones immune to it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Nothing like a good old fashioned Hastings "there's only one thing I'm interesting in catching.. bent coppers". You can see it coming a mile away but that doesn't stop the semi :drool:

Oggmonster

The bad acting seems to be a constant throughout the show so I think it’s probably more to do with the script and constant police jargon.

Yeah they've definitely started playing up to the catchphrases and little quirks people picked up on when it first started. The bent coppersl ine was dead forced last night and that bleeping for the interviews gets longer and more annoying by the series. It's still enjoyable though and it's started better than the last series did.

AgentSmith

Yeah they've definitely started playing up to the catchphrases and little quirks people picked up on when it first started. The bent coppersl ine was dead forced last night and that bleeping for the interviews gets longer and more annoying by the series. It's still enjoyable though and it's started better than the last series did.
People love to shit on Kate and Steve but how much can anyone really do with lines of dialogue detailing police procedure or having to awkwardly say ’mate’ to each other 12 times an episode?

Even De Niro would look shite detailing Section 4 Paragraph B Bulletpoint 16 of the 1967 Criminal Law Act.

Oggmonster

People love to shit on Kate and Steve but how much can anyone really do with lines of dialogue detailing police procedure or having to awkwardly say ’mate’ to each other 12 times an episode?

Even De Niro would look shite detailing Section 4 Paragraph B Bulletpoint 16 of the 1967 Criminal Law Act.
:lol: :lol: Exactly. The acting isn't that bad (it isn't great either) but it's all really forced dialogue, the way they speak isridiculously unnatural.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Best character out of all the series of line of duty

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Only started watching this series but the script seems really poorly written to me.

I only watch it because the Mrs has been watching since the beginning, but there's been a few moments now where I've glanced at her during an episode as if to say "that was weird". Mainly the script - like when that Farida Jatri is just stood at the end of the road in plain sight, with her hood up (super undercover!) staring at Davidson. Laughable, especially from a police officer. Then when Davidson is being Interviewed by AC-12 and it all seems a bit awkward, especially when the top dog sergeant guy (Hastings?) keeps making quips in response to her answer like "well, I'm thinking the same thing Davidson", followed by Davidson looking suspicious.

Who the hell has written this?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Between The Lines has started running again on BBC Four. It was must-watch TV back in the 90s so I'll give it another watch to see if it's aged well. If you like LOD then it's worth trying this too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Only started watching this series but the script seems really poorly written to me.

I only watch it because the Mrs has been watching since the beginning, but there's been a few moments now where I've glanced at her during an episode as if to say "that was weird". Mainly the script - like when that Farida Jatri is just stood at the end of the road in plain sight, with her hood up (super undercover!) staring at Davidson. Laughable, especially from a police officer. Then when Davidson is being Interviewed by AC-12 and it all seems a bit awkward, especially when the top dog sergeant guy (Hastings?) keeps making quips in response to her answer like "well, I'm thinking the same thing Davidson", followed by Davidson looking suspicious.

Yeah it's weird how its swings multiple times an episode from being really good to quite cringe.

Oggmonster

The early series weren't like that. It's only got really obvious the last couple of seasons...since stuff like that Line of Duty bingo etc went viral they play up to it a bit.

The dialogue has never been great though, the story and twists are the best part to it.

Massive Spanner

Mercurio is great at tense scenes like the interviews and confrontations but christ is he poor at personal scenes between characters. Kate and Steve are both good actors but what can you do with dialogue like that? Every time they say "mate" I die a little inside.

I also think it would be a better show if seasons were self contained. Right now there's so much being pulled up from previous seasons and they're trying to intertwine it all into the current story and it just comes across as confusing and forced. I really couldn't give a feck about H at this point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Mercurio is great at tense scenes like the interviews and confrontations but christ is he poor at personal scenes between characters. Kate and Steve are both good actors but what can you do with dialogue like that? Every time they say "mate" I die a little inside.

I also think it would be a better show if seasons were self contained. Right now there's so much being pulled up from previous seasons and they're trying to intertwine it all into the current story and it just comes across as confusing and forced. I really couldn't give a feck about H at this point.
Hearing the word gaffer makes my testicles go back up inside me.

it’s the nature of these types of shows, a bit like 24. Leave your brain at the door.

it’s enjoyable, but I don’t know how it’s got so popular.

Massive Spanner

Hearing the word gaffer makes my testicles go back up inside me.
Also I really don't get why Martin Compston couldn't just use his Scottish accent seeing as Hastings is using his Irish accent and all the guest stars have used their own accents. Like has there ever been a single thing in the show that relied on him being English? Bizarre.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also I really don't get why Martin Compton couldn't just use his Scottish accent seeing as Hastings is using his Irish accent and all the guest stars have used their own accents. Like has there ever been a single thing in the show that relied on him being English? Bizarre.
I always think this :lol: Maybe they didn't want Irish and Scottish accents both firing at the same time and potentially confusing audiences? No idea.

Massive Spanner

it’s the nature of these types of shows, a bit like 24. Leave your brain at the door.

I think that's a bit harsh. Season two and three are fantastic and one and four are really good too. I'd say season five is when the quality of the show started to skydive.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also I really don't get why Martin Compston couldn't just use his Scottish accent seeing as Hastings is using his Irish accent and all the guest stars have used their own accents. Like has there ever been a single thing in the show that relied on him being English? Bizarre.
Speaking ahead of the sixth series airing - he said: "It’s a funny one because a lot of people always ask ‘why isn’t Steve just Scottish?’.

"It was never a discussion. Like, the brief came through for a London detective and I went into the audition and did a London accent, as is my job as an actor, and got the part.

AgentSmith

Well there was that one thread of a story line where they tried to paint Steve as a potential Caddy suspect that relied on a ‘South East accent’ as one of the pieces of evidence. Apart from that, no.

Deery

Dreary
For some reason I have a found memory of the dude with the scouse accent.

Steve was with his wife last night.
John Corbett.

I wonder if Steve will twig that Hastings give her the 50k he was quite suspicious last night.

Oggmonster

I think you've kind of answered your own question. It's enjoyable, you don't have to think ito much when watching it (it's perfect for a Sunday evening) but is still pretty tense and an interesting show. Not everything is going to be a Sopranos. The Wire etc where you've got to properly watch. Plenty of TV is good to drift in and out of.

I think the earlier series were less like that. I think it got more popular and became TV peoples mum would watch and not shut up about (similar to Peaky Blinders) and potentially ruin it for everyone else. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Peaky Blinders though...

I thought that, it's weird. I heard an interview with him where the role asked for a London police officer so he auditioned as that and it just stuck. Suppose it's a bit late to change after 1 episode really!