Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I saw that bit about the forensics coordinator accidentally 'killing' Huntley and so much of it seemed forced, to the point of taking the mick out of the viewers. Apparently we're considered to be undiscerning Gogglebox plebs who'll buy any old cliffhangery crap when it comes to storylines.

Alternatively, I read too much crime fiction...and that makes nearly everything seem incredibly predictable:

DCI Steel shows up at a crime scene. Professor Fergus Brandy of Leicester University is already there, dressed like Siegfried from All Creatures Great and Small, all tweeds and glasses perched halfway down his nose.
"What have we got, Fergus?"
"It's too soon to state, definitively. I'll have something for you in two weeks, Inspector."
"So, tomorrow morning then?"

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Did Arnott try and get with a witness in a past series? Wondering if that new guy was having a pop at him. Also wondering if new guy is the Jimmy (Jamie) that Roz's husband was ringing, he's a bit of a random addition if he doesn't link in to it elsewhere.

As an aside, hard to take Jamie from The Thick of It seriously, keep expecting him to lose it in very elaborate ways.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Did Arnott try and get with a witness in a past series? Wondering if that new guy was having a pop at him. Also wondering if new guy is the Jimmy (Jamie) that Roz's husband was ringing, he's a bit of a random addition if he doesn't link in to it elsewhere.

As an aside, hard to take Jamie from The Thick of It seriously, keep expecting him to lose it in very elaborate ways.
Yeah he got off with a few iirc, then main one being Keeley Hawes character in Season Two that compromised the case against her.

I don't get that ending though, we're supposed to believe that Roz' husband is Balaclava man? I mean that's some seriously massive coincidence isn't it? Unless it turns out Roz is in on the act with him, but again, her dialogue so far (especially with him) doesn't exactly lend credence to that being the case.

It's still really entertaining but it does seem like it's abandoning all sorts of realism this season for pure shock value and twists.

SteveJ

Scout
It's still really entertaining but it does seem like it's abandoning all sorts of realism this season for pure shock value and twists.
See Lost, Sherlock et al. While I understand that shows have to keep viewers watching episode after episode, it's such a bloody cheap trick to snare viewers with deceit if the writers haven't even worked out resolutions to the endless twists. Sure, there has to be deception to an extent (red herrings etc etc) but this particular kind of thing essentially makes fun of viewers...who aren't quite as gullible as those in TVLand like to think.

Massive Spanner

See Lost, Sherlock et al. While I understand that shows have to keep viewers watching episode after episode, it's such a bloody cheap trick to snare viewers with deceit if the writers haven't even worked out resolutions to the endless twists. Sure, there has to be deception to an extent (red herrings etc etc) but this particular kind of thing essentially makes fun of viewers.
Sherlock really was on another level in Season 4, though :lol:

I still have faith in this though, I assume it wasn't actually the husband who attacked Steve, although, again, a bit of a weird coincidence that he was in the building. You'd have to assume he's dead though.. right? Right? Then again they brought Roz back from the fecking dead earlier so who knows.

SteveJ

Scout
:lol:

And another thing!
*everyone dies of boredom*
Re: the recent scenes featuring Huntley and the forensics coordinator - a detective under investigation due to revelations from the coordinator surely wouldn't be at a forensics examination of her accuser's murder? I'm surprised that she wasn't suspended immediately, never mind being onsite where she could potentially conceal evidence. Sheesh...

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah he got off with a few iirc, then main one being Keeley Hawes character in Season Two that compromised the case against her.

I don't get that ending though, we're supposed to believe that Roz' husband is Balaclava man? I mean that's some seriously massive coincidence isn't it? Unless it turns out Roz is in on the act with him, but again, her dialogue so far (especially with him) doesn't exactly lend credence to that being the case.

I don't think he is Balaclava Man but I could be wrong. The car going to Ifield's, if it actually went there, can be explained as Roz might drive it given its her husband's.

With regards to the ending the lift stopped on the 3rd floor when Nick Huntley has his office on the 5th. So he would have had to have get changed pretty quickly, ran down two flights of stairs and intercepted the lift which would be even more far fetched given he was still on the phone to Arnott as he got into the lift.

Then again he might not have been on the 5th floor amongst all those boxes but if that was the case why not simply avoid Arnott and leave as opposed to kill him.

I'm not sure who Nick kept ringing for his legal advice. Think that's important.

:lol:

And another thing!
*everyone dies of boredom*
Re: the recent scenes featuring Huntley and the forensics coordinator - a detective under investigation due to revelations from the coordinator surely wouldn't be at a forensics examination of her accuser's murder? I'm surprised that she wasn't suspended immediately, never mind being onsite where she could potentially conceal evidence. Sheesh...
Yeah she'd had been suspended immediately or at least banned from getting involved in the evidence chain.

SteveJ

Scout
Well if a gonk like me could figure that out, there must be loads of viewers who similarly don't buy it.

Ubik

I don't think he is Balaclava Man but I could be wrong. The car going to Ifield's, if it actually went there, can be explained as Roz might drive it given its her husband's.

With regards to the ending the lift stopped on the 3rd floor when Nick Huntley has his office on the 5th. So he would have had to have get changed pretty quickly, ran down two flights of stairs and intercepted the lift which would be even more far fetched given he was still on the phone to Arnott as he got into the lift.

Then again he might not have been on the 5th floor amongst all those boxes but if that was the case why not simply avoid Arnott and leave as opposed to kill him.

I'm not sure who Nick kept ringing for his legal advice. Think that's important.

Yeah she'd had been suspended immediately or at least banned from getting involved in the evidence chain.
They were moving offices down to the third earlier in the ep, Arnott seems to have just looked at the sign on the door (which still said fifth) without remembering. Whether he's actually balaclava man I'm not sure, as they had an earlier red herring when the forensics guy puts one on to get the tools, but I'm not sure who else would have a motive for attacking Arnott.

Also, why isn't Roz just getting some antibiotics for that wrist? Surely the guy's DNA isn't going to be extracted from just going to A&E?

TheReligion

Abusive
They were moving offices down to the third earlier in the ep, Arnott seems to have just looked at the sign on the door (which still said fifth) without remembering. Whether he's actually balaclava man I'm not sure, as they had an earlier red herring when the forensics guy puts one on to get the tools, but I'm not sure who else would have a motive for attacking Arnott.

Also, why isn't Roz just getting some antibiotics for that wrist? Surely the guy's DNA isn't going to be extracted from just going to A&E?
They'd be a record of her having treatment though which she wants to avoid.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Love DS Arnott, hope he isn't dead. Dogged little shit that gives zero fecks. Love it when he starts twisting the screw in interviews.

Massive Spanner

Love DS Arnott, hope he isn't dead. Dogged little shit that gives zero fecks. Love it when he starts twisting the screw in interviews.
I only just found out that the actor is proper Scottish. Fair fecks to him, he pulls off the accent really well.

Zen

I wouldn't be surprised if Lennie James returned from the dead at this point.

SteveJ

Scout
Ding dong, Dennis Wise is dead.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just had a thought, would be a huge plot twist but what if it turns out Fleming is a dirty copper? She was in line for promotion and Arnot was getting the nod ahead of her.

She gave the nod to where Arnot was heading and dispatched the hit man.

Would kind of make sense as a plot device though. The crooked ring of cops working above them throughout the whole show have placed their puppets inside AC12 along the way.

Not sure how they would explain killing the caddy and bringing down that dirty old cop. Maybe the caddy was seen as useless when his cover was blown and the dirty old cop was someone easily sacrificed to keep her inside.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I bet @Mockney was frothing over that interview scene.

More vintage LoD right there.

Ubik

Just caught ep, great episode. No idea who that balaclava bloke is now! Though was getting irritated during her interview that no one was noticing her dead arm. Someone needs to check Ifield's DNA at the other scene and notice that the white fibres are there too.

SteveJ

Scout
I was reading summaries of all the series' episodes recently, and have concluded that it's the silliest show on earth. No matter how implausible it is though, LoD is absolutely compelling...so much so that even I'm interested.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I was reading summaries of all the series' episodes recently, and have concluded that it's the silliest show on earth. No matter how implausible it is though, LoD is absolutely compelling...so much so that even I'm interested.
As modern day cop dramas go it's more grounded than most surely?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doesn't even need to be strictly grounded in reality, just don't do stupid unrealistic stuff whilst remaining compelling and smart. Must admit I thought that episode was fcuking great... Thought I had it all sussed an then LoD does it's thing.

SteveJ

Scout
I'm probably picking on it for poor reasons, which is as silly as bemoaning ghost stories for having well-worn clichés when those very clichés are the reason I watch or read them. The constant 'Detective X is dead...no, now he's alive again...and he's not corrupt but was working undercover for three seperate departments with differing agendas' does get on your bits a little though. Still, twists and turns are engrossing, and bring out the detective in us all.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm probably picking on it for poor reasons, which is as silly as bemoaning ghost stories for having well-worn clichés when those very clichés are the reason I watch or read them. The constant 'Detective X is dead...no, now he's alive again...and he's not corrupt but was working undercover for three seperate departments with differing agendas' does get on your bits a little though. Still, twists and turns are engrossing, and bring out the detective in us all.
I thought this season was pretty sub par up until the interview scene which was fantastic.
I agree, it's been ok but not spectacular. That last episode got me back on board tho...

Zen

I'm certainly starting to see it as more of a Brit24 this year.....I'm somehow getting the feeling that all these new characters and stuff are going to somehow, magically be connected to the first 3 series, despite them seemingly tying those 3 years up last year. But when 24 got this daft and silly(ramped up even more because American feck yeah)....it was still 24 fecking episodes. This is only 6 episodes, keeps it a bit more tighter.