Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yes. I have a memory of thinking he was very good at the time, but I can't really remember the storyline at all.
Thought that whole storyline was crap and Stephen Graham was pretty annoying in every scene.

arnie_ni

Thought that whole storyline was crap and Stephen Graham was pretty annoying in every scene.
Unless I'm thinking of the actor being good in something else. I'm all over the place but I have a memory of thinking he was good in something I've seen.

Just assumed it was line of duty

Oggmonster

It seemed dead forced from what I remember. Athlough I think he just wanted to be in the show so they wrote a part for him...just seemed like they had no idea what to do with hiom but it was a pretty big actor so they let him in the show. Think he's also Steve's mate from outside the show so that pronbably helped.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Unless I'm thinking of the actor being good in something else. I'm all over the place but I have a memory of thinking he was good in something I've seen.

Stephen Graham? He's in loads, great actor. Boardwalk Empire and The Virtues are two great performances of his. He's good in The Irishman too.

He was a bit crap in LoD though, phoned it in a bit.

Deery

Dreary
Yes. I have a memory of thinking he was very good at the time, but I can't really remember the storyline at all.
He was okay, was an undercover cop in the OCG wanted to bring down H but inevitably got his throat cut by Ryan. Hastings give his wife 50k of dodgy money I think Steve will find out. :eek:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I just remember him playing every scene as aggressive and horribly scouse. I know he is actually scouse but still.

Deery

Dreary
I just remember him playing every scene as aggressive and horribly scouse. I know he is actually scouse but still.
Yeah he seemed very aggressive in it think it was meant to do with all the pressure of being undercover and very scouse.

I quite liked Lisa though the black girl that was his handler in the OCG and she knew who H was so I hope they bring her back.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

He was very good in this is england

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I think you've kind of answered your own question. It's enjoyable, you don't have to think ito much when watching it (it's perfect for a Sunday evening) but is still pretty tense and an interesting show. Not everything is going to be a Sopranos. The Wire etc where you've got to properly watch. Plenty of TV is good to drift in and out of.

I think the earlier series were less like that. I think it got more popular and became TV peoples mum would watch and not shut up about (similar to Peaky Blinders) and potentially ruin it for everyone else. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Peaky Blinders though...

I thought that, it's weird. I heard an interview with him where the role asked for a London police officer so he auditioned as that and it just stuck. Suppose it's a bit late to change after 1 episode really!
Thats fighting talk

Oggmonster

Yeah he seemed very aggressive in it think it was meant to do with all the pressure of being undercover and very scouse.

I quite liked Lisa though the black girl that was his handler in the OCG and she knew who H was so I hope they bring her back.

Hope not...that would mean she's failed the kids she was teaching!

arnie_ni

He was okay, was an undercover cop in the OCG wanted to bring down H but inevitably got his throat cut by Ryan. Hastings give his wife 50k of dodgy money I think Steve will find out. :eek:
So that's why Steve was asking those questions. Can't mind that at all. Whered the money come from?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
So that's why Steve was asking those questions. Can't mind that at all. Whered the money come from?
They only found 50k of the 100k that investor blokey gave hastings, so he gave the other 50k to the scouse woman, when he found out the undercover copper was the son of the woman he loved in NI

arnie_ni

They only found 50k of the 100k that investor blokey gave hastings, so he gave the other 50k to the scouse woman, when he found out the undercover copper was the son of the woman he loved in NI
Oh yes that brings back some memories.

Was that Hastings ex wife that came in to see him in the lobby and all you heard was hmrc?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can anybody explain the back story with the young police officer from last nights episode, the one that picks up Davidson after her interview and Kate Fleming recognises earlier in the episode?

Just a brief rundown, bearing in mind I haven't watched previous series and won't know any names.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can anybody explain the back story with the young police officer from last nights episode, the one that picks up Davidson after her interview and Kate Fleming recognises earlier in the episode?

Just a brief rundown, bearing in mind I haven't watched previous series and won't know any names.
I think he was a kid in an OCG from season one. Looks like he's been sent to join the police to work undercover for them.

Deery

Dreary

He was a young drug runner for the OCG got an innocent guy killed and then got promoted and killed John Corbett by cutting his throat similar to how the guy was found last night, seems he’s been planted in the police force.

He has run in’s with the police before and bite an officer’s finger when he was younger so maybe Kate recognised him from when he was a child.

arnie_ni

He was a young drug runner for the OCG got an innocent guy killed and then got promoted and killed John Corbett by cutting his throat similar to how the guy was found last night, seems he’s been planted in the police force.

He has run in’s with the police before and bite an officer’s finger when he was younger so maybe Kate recognised him from when he was a child.
Was he involved in the kidnapping of Steve as well?

I thought that's why he 100 percent tried to hide from him but he wasn't worried about Kate.

He knew Steve would recognise him

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Oh yes that brings back some memories.

Was that Hastings ex wife that came in to see him in the lobby and all you heard was hmrc?
Im not sure, I thought it was the scouse woman, and thats why steve went to see her?

Deery

Dreary
Was he involved in the kidnapping of Steve as well?

I thought that's why he 100 percent tried to hide from him but he wasn't worried about Kate.

He knew Steve would recognise him
Yep. He that’s right tried to cut his finger off with a bolt cutter.

ChrisNelson

What about Hastings, could he be 'seeing' Steph Corbett? At the start of Steve's visit there was a semi-big deal made of the fact that she has Sky Sports... as if to try and get us thinking who it might be for, because it's clearly not for her

cyberman

What about Hastings, could he be 'seeing' Steph Corbett? At the start of Steve's visit there was a semi-big deal made of the fact that she has Sky Sports... as if to try and get us thinking who it might be for, because it's clearly not for her
I think its because a new tv and sky sports sub is expensive so she has money from somewhere?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I actually thought it was more a dig at the cost of Sky Sports :lol: Steve was wondering how she could afford all that stuff.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think its because a new tv and sky sports sub is expensive so she has money from somewhere?
Is a new TV really that expensive nowadays? Certainly not something to make you stop and think. Could understand if she was in a homeless shelter but she had a nice house anyway. Just seemed forced to me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
She confirmed herself as a football fan shortly after when she ribbed Steve about his team not being in Europe. Stop being sexist.

ChrisNelson

Is a new TV really that expensive nowadays? Certainly not something to make you stop and think. Could understand if she was in a homeless shelter but she had a nice house anyway. Just seemed forced to me.
Just struck me that it could be sending a message there's another person that's regularly visiting the house - after all we know Hastings has been living in a hotel after splitting from his wife. I will be keeping my eye on it!

cyberman

Maybe for a single mother? Not sure but It could just be bad writing. Just get a firestick and add a bit of realism!

Moby

Dick
She looked nervous right when Steve was entering the living room. We know Steve's a top class detective and just as she feared he noticed an expensive new toy for someone living on life insurance money, with a bloody sports subscription to boot which we all know costs an arm and a leg in the UK.

I'm telling you son, there's no smoke without fire, and what I see here is a bloody mushroom cloud.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
She looked nervous right when Steve was entering the living room. We know Steve's a top class detective and just as she feared he noticed an expensive new toy for someone living on life insurance money, with a bloody sports subscription to boot which we all know costs an arm and a leg in the UK.

I'm telling you son, there's no smoke without fire, and what I see here is a bloody mushroom cloud.
:lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just struck me that it could be sending a message there's another person that's regularly visiting the house - after all we know Hastings has been living in a hotel after splitting from his wife. I will be keeping my eye on it!
When Hastings comes to work in a football top in the next episode you know you’re onto a winner. :lol:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance

We're sucking diesel now.

Look mate if you criticise 24 again I’ll get @Solius to serve you a reg-15.
its not a criticism. Loved 24 Back in the day. It was groundbreaking, maybe not ground breaking, but popularised the one story arc.

you did have to suspend reality though. Iy need to say Kim getting chased by he Cougar in S2 :lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I also think it would be a better show if seasons were self contained. Right now there's so much being pulled up from previous seasons and they're trying to intertwine it all into the current story and it just comes across as confusing and forced. I really couldn't give a feck about H at this point.
Yeah, I couldn’t agree more with this. Every season they seem to be wrapping up the H plot, only to implausibly extend it even further with yet another secret big bad. It’s gotten boring now, and a bit ridiculous that every case theyve worked on just happens to be part of the same conspiracy (well, as ridiculous as whatever city this is having at least 12 anti corruption units!)

It’s gotten so convoluted now it’s become quite a chore to keep up with, plus you’re never quite sure whether any name mentioned is new, or someone you’re supposed to have remembered from season 2.

The writing was a lot better in the earlier seasons, when they didn’t need to do this, plus Mercurio seems to have deliberately drawn the last few season’s plots from real events and conspiracies (The pedo stuff was very rooted in the Elm Guest House conspiracy IIRC and this seems to be solidly Jill Dando territory, right down to a mentally disadvantaged bloke taking the fall) so I don’t know whether that makes them seem inherently that much sillier when they end up with Kate riding on the side of a garbage truck or whatever..(Did that actually happen or did I dream that?)

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, I couldn’t agree more with this. Every season they seem to be wrapping up the H plot, only to implausibly extend it even further with yet another secret big bad. It’s gotten boring now, and a bit ridiculous that every case theyve worked on just happens to be part of the same conspiracy (well, as ridiculous as whatever city this is having at least 12 anti corruption units!)

It’s gotten so convoluted now it’s become quite a chore to keep up with, plus you’re never quite sure whether any name mentioned is new, or someone you’re supposed to have remembered from season 2.

The writing was a lot better in the earlier seasons, when they didn’t need to do this, plus Mercurio seems to have deliberately drawn the last few season’s plots from real events and conspiracies (The pedo stuff was very rooted in the Elm Guest House conspiracy IIRC and this seems to be solidly Jill Dando territory, right down to a mentally disadvantaged bloke taking the fall) so I don’t know whether that makes them seem inherently that much sillier when they end up with Kate riding on the side of a garbage truck or whatever..(Did that actually happen or did I dream that?)
You’ve made me aware of something that was annoying me without realising it. All the real life plot lines made me feel like I’d seen it before. It felt a bit stodgy and bolted on. That despite the fact that her actual reports didn’t sound at all like something that would make it to air.