Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm enjoying it a great deal. Fun enough to suspend my disbelief and for once the summary preview at the beginning is useful (I normally hate them).

Funniest bit was when they superimposed the Liverpool skyline onto what was rather obviously a NI location.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm enjoying it a great deal. Fun enough to suspend my disbelief and for once the summary preview at the beginning is useful (I normally hate them).

Funniest bit was when they superimposed the Liverpool skyline onto what was rather obviously a NI location.
Haha yeah a lot of it is filmed in Belfast.

didn’t really enjoy ep1 but ep2 was much better. I like it more when ted Hastings is involved.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You’ve made me aware of something that was annoying me without realising it. All the real life plot lines made me feel like I’d seen it before. It felt a bit stodgy and bolted on. That despite the fact that her actual reports didn’t sound at all like something that would make it to air.
My wife said that last night.
which was amazing as she’s barely speaking to me

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, I couldn’t agree more with this. Every season they seem to be wrapping up the H plot, only to implausibly extend it even further with yet another secret big bad. It’s gotten boring now, and a bit ridiculous that every case theyve worked on just happens to be part of the same conspiracy (well, as ridiculous as whatever city this is having at least 12 anti corruption units!)

It’s gotten so convoluted now it’s become quite a chore to keep up with, plus you’re never quite sure whether any name mentioned is new, or someone you’re supposed to have remembered from season 2.

The writing was a lot better in the earlier seasons, when they didn’t need to do this, plus Mercurio seems to have deliberately drawn the last few season’s plots from real events and conspiracies (The pedo stuff was very rooted in the Elm Guest House conspiracy IIRC and this seems to be solidly Jill Dando territory, right down to a mentally disadvantaged bloke taking the fall) so I don’t know whether that makes them seem inherently that much sillier when they end up with Kate riding on the side of a garbage truck or whatever..(Did that actually happen or did I dream that?)
There was an obvious nod to Laura Koonsberg in there too.

United Hobbit

Ooh that was more like it

Would a drugs test pick up codeine?

Speculation, person talking to CHIS in pub

I think it was Ryan, hence why Terry was too scared to tell them during the interview, he was close but too scared. Also, notice the chat room Jo was on at the end, I was waiting for the person she was talking to to put "definately "

Speculation re Steve

hope I'm wrong but I think he's going to commit suicide, or take a bullet for someone

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Was good tonight Davidson in direct communication with H.

arnie_ni

Is it the final season? Feels like it's all coming to an end.

Is buckles the fall guy or has he been set up entirely?

United Hobbit

Is it the final season? Feels like it's all coming to an end.

Is buckles the fall guy or has he been set up entirely?
It does feel like the last one, but I thought there was another series after this? It feels a bit like the last Harry Potter book, when all the little things scattered through the earlier books suddenly show why they were significant...

arnie_ni

It does feel like the last one, but I thought there was another series after this? It feels a bit like the last Harry Potter book, when all the little things scattered through the earlier books suddenly show why they were significant...
I'm just not sure how they squeeze another one out of it. They can't catch another cop working with the OCG and it not be H, can they?

Riz

It’s gotten so convoluted now it’s become quite a chore to keep up with, plus you’re never quite sure whether any name mentioned is new, or someone you’re supposed to have remembered from season 2.
Yeh this is the part I’m struggling with the most. I watched the first season when it came out, which is almost a decade ago now, where as a lot of mates I know who’ve binged it in recent years are now far more clued up on who everyone is. I’ve forgotten whole storylines from the earlier series let alone all the character and operation references. :lol:

Zen

3 was where they all started to connect everything no? 1 & 2 worked well as standalone seasons more or less, but 3 started to drop in them all being connected and it's been about that ever since really, any time they try and sell any of the 3 leads as bent... I find it hard to buy though, but kinda let it go as I'm hoping none of them actually are, they'd want you to believe it.... yet at the same time, remember the past 5 seasons, it wouldn't add up.

I find it mad Ryan's a rozzer, look how easy Steve found his history in the newest ep. I'm pretty certain most people know how strenuous the application process is.... and this isn't exactly based not in the modern age. Oh well.

It's still good viewing, and being only 6-7 episodes helps that massively, but 1-2 are pretty different shows to 3-6.... but that's generally what happens with success.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Ok mad theory time

John Corbett had converted Ryan to the "good" side. John knew he was gonna get killed eventually so told Ryan to do it and gain the trust of the OCG. It's like an almost reversal of the caddy.

Ted and Kate are actually in on this which is why Ryan's links to the gang haven't been reported yet.

I also think Kate has been sent "under cover" to make sure Ryan is ok.

The woman killed last night was actually the bent one and Ryan was instructed to kill her

My prediction is Ryan was given a list of bent coppers by John.

arnie_ni

Ok mad theory time

John Corbett had converted Ryan to the "good" side. John knew he was gonna get killed eventually so told Ryan to do it and gain the trust of the OCG. It's like an almost reversal of the caddy.

Ted and Kate are actually in on this which is why Ryan's links to the gang haven't been reported yet.

The woman killed last night was actually the bent one and Ryan was instructed to kill her

Would be absolutely shite if they did this.

No way Steve and Kate let him kill people, bent or not.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ok mad theory time

Oooo I like this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ok mad theory time

So many holes in that. Like they’d sanction murder?

United Hobbit

One of the 2 is I think.
I think Steve. His line yesterday about the job being all he lives for...

Mad speculation

Ryan has Kates card marked you could see he could tell she's got him sussed. I think Steve will either be suspended or desk duties only after being made to see a doctor following his drugs test picking up the Coedine. If his back injury can't be fixed and he can't go on active duty again, I think he takes a bullet for Kate....

Moby

Dick
I think Steve. His line yesterday about the job being all he lives for...

Mad speculation

Ryan has Kates card marked you could see he could tell she's got him sussed. I think Steve will either be suspended or desk duties only after being made to see a doctor following his drugs test picking up the Coedine. If his back injury can't be fixed and he can't go on active duty again, I think he takes a bullet for Kate....
This isn't Titanic.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
So many holes in that. Like they’d sanction murder?
Ted is certainly nowhere near perfect. Whilst he probably wouldn't sanction murder, he's decided to sit back a little and wait for things to play out.

The fact they have evidence of who Ryan is/was but haven't reported it yet seems odd, especially when they need every bit of ammo so prove there's dodgy goings on.

Zen

There's probably no more holes in that than any other way they could probably go at this point....

Moby

Dick
The fact they have evidence of who Ryan is/was but haven't reported it yet seems odd, especially when they need every bit of ammo so prove there's dodgy goings on.
I had binged all the previous seasons not long ago so found it hilarious how that little shit went on to join the police department despite his record. At the time it looked nothing more than giving someone a second chance and he didn't appear much apart from getting recruited.

Now that he's been added to the thick of things let's see what they come up with. They pointed at Buckells in yesterday's episode although that seems an obvious misdirection.

TheGame

I had binged all the previous seasons not long ago so found it hilarious how that little shit went on to join the police department despite his record. At the time it looked nothing more than giving someone a second chance and he didn't appear much apart from getting recruited.

Now that he's been added to the thick of things let's see what they come up with. They pointed at Buckells in yesterday's episode although that seems an obvious misdirection.
Didn’t they reference that someone altered his record so his past didn’t appear when he was checked when joining the police.

arnie_ni

Didn’t they reference that someone altered his record so his past didn’t appear when he was checked when joining the police.
They did. Juvenile records are also sealed in real life anyway

cyberman

Ted is certainly nowhere near perfect. Whilst he probably wouldn't sanction murder, he's decided to sit back a little and wait for things to play out.

All they have is evidence something is going on, they can use him as a way to see what actually is or he becomes just another low ender who is replaceable.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Just watched it, my thoughts:

Steve’s drug test will come back clean. He knew Hastings was going to try to get him on gardening leave so he went cold turkey and will come back all ok much to Hasting’s dismay.

Hastings still has financial issues and he’s using the scouse woman to hold/launder funds to keep them clear from his creditors.

Buckells isn’t involved in it, he’s just a bit of a bell end and the witness was carefully selected to implicate him and the evidence planted in his car - a bit convenient it was all in his car and not somewhere safer and AC-12 will think the same but happy to go along with it to make Davidson relax a bit.

Zen

They did. Juvenile records are also sealed in real life anyway
I don't think this is overly true. It's a minor point, and someone high being bent is how they'll sell it obviously, but it almost certainly wouldn't happen in real life. It's hardly like he's hiding being a youth offender in a different area of the country.... the officers that dealt with him are right there :lol:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I don't think this is overly true. It's a minor point, and someone high being bent is how they'll sell it obviously, but it almost certainly wouldn't happen in real life. It's hardly like he's hiding being a youth offender in a different area of the country.... the officers that dealt with him are right there :lol:
They actually said during the episode that someone probably hid it or overlooked it intentionally - the same person that groomed him for the role.

Probably H or as they’re known now “The fourth person”.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
One thing I noticed. When they interview the Down syndrome guy does he say “Ian did it”?

First time round I just thought he was struggling to say “he did it” but when Davidson watches it back I swear he says Ian did it.

I know Buckle is called Ian but I can’t imagine him committing a murder.

Deery

Dreary
One thing I noticed. When they interview the Down syndrome guy does he say “Ian did it”?

First time round I just thought he was struggling to say “he did it” but when Davidson watches it back I swear he says Ian did it.

I know Buckle is called Ian but I can’t imagine him committing a murder.
Yeah I heard Ian too but didn’t know who Ian was so never thought much of it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The woman Steve keeps going to see, she mentioned she’d invested in a hairdressers. Isn’t that what Laverty had done in season 1 on behalf of the OCG?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fair play to Steve. two ft tall, personality of a balloon and a dick that can't inflate, yet still gets all the lovely ladies.

Also what's the deal with him just casually rocking up to Liverpool all the time for a quick chat? Isn't it like a four hour drive from London?