Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

redtilded121

i get that incompetence self interest and general chaos are the reason behind things and not a big conspiracy but there must have been a better way than that episode.
joins the list with GOT'S dexter battlestar galactica poor endings . it is difficult especially if you don't want to do the fairytale endingbut if you plan your story arcs like orphan black and ds9 the endings work better

youngrell

Was a massive let down.

I’m not too bothered about them wanting to end it by showing corruption will go on or whatever, but to have their final interrogation, for which the show is built on, to be Buckells saying ‘no comment’ throughout was a huge damp squib.

I hope it doesn’t return now.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Surely there has to be another season? It was a truly awful episode and I agree with others that the acting was shamefully bad at times. I just don’t see how they can leave it there now. Surely one more season where they hunt down the chief.

arnie_ni

Think it was just the awful acting from buckles that ruined it more than anything.

Shockingly bad

Think it was just the awful acting from buckles that ruined it more than anything.

Shockingly bad
it really is so bad. Just hash a look through his TV work, and there doesn’t seem to be anything of note in there.

clearly it wasn’t mapped out for him to be significant from the beginning.

Jacko21

What a strange finale. The episode as a whole felt completely off.

Think the writers tied themselves up somewhat with the concept of “H”. They set themselves (and the audience) up for a fall. It’s as if they got so sucked into amping up the reveal that they forgot we were only ever after the “4th man” - another go-between. But expectations were set. The audience wanted the kingpin.

cyberman

Apparently it was meant to be a 90m finale but had so much filmed that they split it in 2. That seems to be why it was such a non event. Having such a low key ending looks worse in a low key episode

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Apparently it was meant to be a 90m finale but had so much filmed that they split it in 2. That seems to be why it was such a non event. Having such a low key ending looks worse in a low key episode
Makes sense. If so they just made the wrong call because there definitely wasn’t too much vital material to trim it to 90 mins.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So are we to assume that the morse code finger taps which gave us H were just the nervous system of a man who was dying after being shot?

So none of these these highly analytical police officers once thought that basing core knowledge of the investigation on the twitches of a dying man was absolutely ridiculous?

Moby

Dick
Imagine if the last two episodes were actually put together, breaking the record of the number of 'No comment' responses in one TV sitting. :lol:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I reckon the next season will have Hastings still trying to bring the top man down from outside the system, looking ever more deranged and eventually getting offed by OCG.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think there will be 1 more season. Maybe they are all working different departments whilst consulting with Ted. The new boss will eventually come round to their thinking, help them take down Osborne and then she becomes head copper. The twist will be that she was the head bent copper and that’s how the show will end forever

AgentSmith

I think ‘H’ ended up being Line of Duty’s equivalent of the White Walkers in Game of Thrones.

This overarching omnipotent threat that always distracted from what actually made the show good and required a conclusion that would inevitably disappoint or make no sense.

Having said that, this tweet would’ve made for an infinitely better twist than the 6 seasons of edging we got to get blue balls with bucking Buckles...

United Hobbit

It felt like such a let down, the no comment was infuriating and took up so much time.

When you look back at finales such as urgent exit required....

hobbers

I think I might have had a nightmare involving that final CGI lift scene.

Zen86

I think ‘H’ ended up being Line of Duty’s equivalent of the White Walkers in Game of Thrones.

This overarching omnipotent threat that always distracted from what actually made the show good and required a conclusion that would inevitably disappoint or make no sense.

Having said that, this tweet would’ve made for an infinitely better twist than the 6 seasons of edging we got to get blue balls with bucking Buckles...

I thought it might’ve been him when they were building it up. Never, ever did I imagine as mundane a reveal as Buckles.

United Hobbit

Just reading another thread on another forum- someone is completely right in that there was no shock moment this season that made you gasp or had massive tension eg Ros nearly getting chopped up/ Dot's urgent exit required/Steve's fingers nearly getting chopped off/ Georgia being thrown out the window/ John Corbett having his throat slit

Nothing. Even the biggest cliff hanger of the shooting was nullifies by seeing who survived due to them being in as yet unseen scenes in the trailer...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The IP thing was idiotic too. They really hired James Nesbitt to be a photograph.

Was Buckles just booting up the ol’ laptop and using Nord VPN? And the investigators were completely fooled by that until the plot requires them to be like oh wait actually it’s in the U.K.! (Dun dun dunnnnn)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No one, absolutely no one over years told him how to spell ‘definitely’? A senior police officer? Not even spell check?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also when they had Hastings as a red herring for H he was shown to spell definitely wrong. Suddenly in this episode he’s like “Check out the spelling of definitely”.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
No one, absolutely no one over years told him how to spell ‘definitely’? A senior police officer? Not even spell check?
The whole thing around that word was stupid as feck. He’s obviously watched Mindhunter and wanted to bring some of that into it but instead of using any sort of complex profiling of his overall syntax and lexicon, they honed in on a single word.

Imagine that going to court?! The defence lawyer would ask 1000 people to spell ‘definitely‘ and 150 would write down “definately“. A search on this forum alone has 25+ pages and only a handful are from this thread.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Also when they had Hastings as a red herring for H he was shown to spell definitely wrong. Suddenly in this episode he’s like “Check out the spelling of definitely”.
To be fair I think this was a nod to the fact that Hastings knew how to imitate H all along, which is one of the questions that him writing it like that raised when he was a suspect.