Lingard as one of two DMs?

Stadjer

He already has the attacking contribution stats of a defensive midfielder. No goals and hardly any attacking contribution

Craig Ward

Wow. To think people who suggest this actually watch football.

Insane.

I've now heard our DM should be:
Jones / Shaw / Rojo / TFM / Tuanzebe and now Lingard.

Here's an idea:
Actually sign a midfielder? Just a thought

Lingard and Jones should NEVER be seen in a utd shirt again

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Absolutely 100% re Garner. Why not just give him a go, he could not have been any worse than Andreas yesterday so what have we got to lose!
Garner, from his play so far, is clearly not ready. You could ruin his career if you force the issue.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Wow. To think people who suggest this actually watch football.

Insane.

I've now heard our DM should be:
Jones / Shaw / Rojo / TFM / Tuanzebe and now Lingard.

Here's an idea:
Actually sign a midfielder? Just a thought

Lingard and Jones should NEVER be seen in a utd shirt again
Sign a midfielder. Wow, I'm sure no on thought of that before. Or perhaps they have and it is has been very hard to sign a good midfielder. Do you really think we didn't try to sign any CMs this past summer?

Who else should not wear the utd shirt again? As I said before, I just so respect people who list player after player that should be gone without any thought on replacements. In your business of employment, would your company survive if you just purged 1/3 of all the people because they don't meet some standard of quality?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's all very well talking about signing a midfielder but it's well over a month away before we even could and there's no guarantee we can get anyone half decent in January. Lingard certainly lacks massively in attacking output but credit to him he did ok when he came on yesterday. If it keeps Pereira out of the central midfield then I'm all for giving it a go. I'd love Garner to get the nod but I just don't think he's physically ready for the tough away Prem games, particularly if we've also got other teenagers on the pitch as well. It's a lot of responsibility on the likes of Maguire and Fred to battle for the younger lads against players like Sheffield have.

Craig Ward

Sign a midfielder. Wow, I'm sure no on thought of that before. Or perhaps they have and it is has been very hard to sign a good midfielder. Do you really think we didn't try to sign any CMs this past summer?

Who else should not wear the utd shirt again? As I said before, I just so respect people who list player after player that should be gone without any thought on replacements. In your business of employment, would your company survive if you just purged 1/3 of all the people because they don't meet some standard of quality?
I'm sure there have been many attempts at signing players, which we aren't aware of. That's a board issue and cause for great concern with this club.

Ole had 2 fit CM's in his last game, and he got absolutely slammed for picking them. The amount of injuries can't be helped but when you have Pogba, McTom, Matic missing that will make a difference. Signings or not, Ole can only pick what he has available.

This thread is "Lingard as a DM"

Has he played there before? Not to my knowledge
Any evidence that he can? His best attribute is "running around making space" so - I'd say no. He seems to me to lack basic skills of a footballer, nothing at all to demonstrate he can run a game from midfield. So the suggestion is absurd

I haven't got the time or energy to debate why Jones/Rojo/Shaw shouldn't be used as our DM - it's frankly not a consideration any man utd fan should ever have.

Who shouldn't be seen in a utd shirt again?
Jones
Lingard
Pogba
Young
Mata
Smalling
Sanchez
Matic

Realisation is this: Our squad is a mess. It needs an overhaul. Continuing to play some of our current squad will get us mid table consistently.

We are in transition.

Now i'm not some clown who thinks you can just "get rid of them all" without a course of action. This is why I've been highlighting the need for Ole to have at least 3 summer transfer windows.

Think of the scale of the job, to change upwards of in total 12-15 players from squad he inherited from Jose, to a new squad of new players while implementing youth and new coaching etc all under the scrutiny that 1 bad result = clamouring for you to be sacked.

I understand that while some players here are not good enough, Ole has no option but to play them. It is what it is until they can be sold/replaced.

But if anyone tells me playing Lingard out of position as a DM is a genuine viable option then they have 110% lost the plot.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's all very well talking about signing a midfielder but it's well over a month away before we even could and there's no guarantee we can get anyone half decent in January. Lingard certainly lacks massively in attacking output but credit to him he did ok when he came on yesterday. If it keeps Pereira out of the central midfield then I'm all for giving it a go. I'd love Garner to get the nod but I just don't think he's physically ready for the tough away Prem games, particularly if we've also got other teenagers on the pitch as well. It's a lot of responsibility on the likes of Maguire and Fred to battle for the younger lads against players like Sheffield have.
Yesterday he did well but it wasn’t the game to judge. It’s like the Newcastle game last season when we were 2-0 down and Pogba was playing as CB spraying passes. Lingard doesn’t have passing range to play DM role, lacks physicality and more importantly he lacks awareness of what’s going around him. He has one good attribute that a CM needs, he moves and creates angles to receive passes which is basic stuff but something our players struggle with.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yesterday he did well but it wasn’t the game to judge. It’s like the Newcastle game last season when we were 2-0 down and Pogba was playing as CB spraying passes. Lingard doesn’t have passing range to play DM role, lacks physicality and more importantly he lacks awareness of what’s going around him. He has one good attribute that a CM needs, he moves and creates angles to receive passes which is basic stuff but something our players struggle with.
Don't disagree, and if an actual CM is fit then great, but I wouldn't rule out starting him there if not.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It would be just for the sake of keeping him in the club. Decisions like this one are delaying much needed progress.

Remember Jose's experiment with Pereira as DM ? It already failed back then.

Anustart89

You want your defensive midfielders to contribute to 3-4 goals in a season, so for that reason I'm out.

billybee99

Would rather try TFM, Axel, or ....

Garner

Just play Garner. There's no way Jesse does a better job than Garner. That's literally what Garner is, except he's also a good passer.
This. This. This. Garner is actually a midfielder for Christ's sake. He is sitting there on the bench rotting. I realize that he's a teenager and all but why the hell is he in the squad if he can't be used in an emergency situation like this when we're missing Pogba and McSauce and we're playing a promoted team? Rashford became a star under similar circumstances when we were down to bare bones in attack and LVG threw him into the fire.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
It sounds weird to think this but why not? He did pretty well after Greenwood came on and moved back with Fred. He certainly did better than Andreas. His days as an AM should be almost over as he has not scored in 27 matches and, I think, has one assist in the same time period. He is athletic, can run all day, and has a decent enough touch.

This is the sort of move that could make him useful again. The big question, though, can he minimize giving the ball away in dangerous positions?
Hell No, just because we had to play him in a game where Perreira was beyond atrocious doesn't warrant him any start, nevermind DM even, he should be benched until he proves to deserve a place in the starting 11, there are other players who deserve it more now, he has been doing feck all for more than 2 years now.

Kostov

How about we try and sell the tosser, we can make the buying club a deal, buy Jesse and we give you Andreas Pereira for free.

Paul_Scholes18

I think it might work better than what people think. He can run pretty well with the ball and his passing is decent. Need to read the game better I guess, but he could potentially learn that. In easy games we could try it out. Play him against Astana in that role as a test.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Garner, from his play so far, is clearly not ready. You could ruin his career if you force the issue.
I agree. Maybe in certain games he could be useful but I wouldn't want him as a guaranteed starter. He's got great potential and I think he could make it but as you say if we force the issue it could ruin him.

Williams is another one with great potential but against Sheffield he was awful. These 2 are very young and still have a great deal to learn. They shouldn't be thrown in the deep end to see if they can swim because more often than not they won't.