Lingard gifted coats and few other items to Whalley Range afc

Gator Nate

The story here is not that Jesse Lingard did something nice to someone. It's that a tiny football club were visited by someone they all wish they could be, a successful player in one of the worlds biggest clubs, who helped them out with some kit, and gave them invaluable online exposure. For a lot of the players this is one of the hightlight of their football career, to meet someone they watch on TV, to many from their favorite team. He didnt HAVE to do this, he did this because he wanted to. The club thanked him, Jesse gave them more exposure than they would have dreamed of.
You're spot on that this club just had a huge spotlight put on them and that should only be looked at as a positive. That could possibly be worth as much to them over the next year as the equipment he donated to them. I do think that Lingard did a nice thing is part of the story and he does deserve recognition. I also think it's sad that we live in a society where a win-win situation can't be appreciated for what it is by everyone observing.

M15 Red.

Jesse's mates with some of the players so decided to help them out. Simple. All this "he's doing it for clicks" rubbish from the poster above is just pure spite. I know for a fact that Jesse's helped out plenty of people in Manchester in the past without seeking any attention for it. He might not be good enough to play for United and he can come across as childish on social media etc but he's a good lad who isn't shy with his time or his money.

Reactions: SteveJ

Fully Fledged

If he had more of his admirable charity and community work hit the news and less of filming teenagers masturbate with pillows, no one would have an issue.

He does plenty of good. But for a 27 year old I expect more maturity and a better group around him to control the message that he sends out to young admierers
Why? I'm 53 and love a laugh. Rutting a pillow is not my kind of humour but who does it hurt?

Sterling Archer

Why? I'm 53 and love a laugh. Rutting a pillow is not my kind of humour but who does it hurt?
It doesn't hurt anyone. But isn't that the idea of image? Both a players image and club image? There's always back and forth, some think fans and managers shouldn't care. Others think public figures, professional athletes should be mindful of their image. To each their own.

Fully Fledged

It doesn't hurt anyone. But isn't that the idea of image? Both a players image and club image? There's always back and forth, some think fans and managers shouldn't care. Others think public figures, professional athletes should be mindful of their image. To each their own.
I don't have this big thing about celerity. As long as a player does the job on the pitch let them be a young adult. I don't see footballers as role models they are people doing a job.
As I said I'm now in my 50's I know when to have a good time and when to reign it in because I have to set an example. The average 20 something doesn't have that experience to do that. I know that there are 20 somethings on here who do have that ability but they are extremely intelligent not your average footballer.
Anyway I'm on my way out to act more irresponsibly than someone my age should. I plan on enjoying my Friday night.

Rossa

I dont know about negative, but its not like its a selfless gesture. Its your typical run of the mill "look at me, Im helping out the poor folks" stuff most "celebs" do. You dont think its funny that theres always someone there with a camera for all these selfless acts of kindness?
I hate these replies. Have you done better, less selfless acts? It's like when rich people donate millions to charity, and people go, it's only for publicity and anyways he can afford it. You must be one altruistic good guy!

Great from Lingard. I hope more footballers have such egotistical streaks; donating to less fortunate footballers and playing football with kids in the street. It might just be that everyone today has a camera as well, like on a phone... so he might not even have taken or asked for photos.

Mike Smalling

What a thread :lol:

Good stuff from Lingard, though. He has done a good thing - there are just some people you cannot please.

Sterling Archer

I don't have this big thing about celerity. As long as a player does the job on the pitch let them be a young adult. I don't see footballers as role models they are people doing a job.
As I said I'm now in my 50's I know when to have a good time and when to reign it in because I have to set an example. The average 20 something doesn't have that experience to do that. I know that there are 20 somethings on here who do have that ability but they are extremely intelligent not your average footballer.
Anyway I'm on my way out to act more irresponsibly than someone my age should. I plan on enjoying my Friday night.
That's the thing. It used to be that nobody cares about your Friday or any other night. But now if you wind up on social media having sex with a blow up doll, mouthing off to a police officer of show up to a costume party in offensive attire your employer is entitled to fire or reprimand you. That's the reality of this digital era with cameras everywhere. And it is more responsibility on public figures like athletes. You may disagree about whether it's pertinent and okay for an employer to react to an employee's life outside of work if it's not directly affecting it. In the end it's a club matter, the rest of our opinions are like I noted 'to each their own'

Also, thank you for having a very reasonable and appropriate opinion. I was worried it might be another numpty telling me I can't get annoyed with anything Jesse does because Marcus Alonso killed someone in a DUI incident.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Working in the local area, I have heard dozens of stories about Jesse Lingard that haven’t been promoted. One of the people at my work got his sick kid a load of signed goodies through Jesse and that never come up in the press. He actively helps out the local community. Smalling, Rashford and Mata are all amazing for it.

Dan_F

Working in the local area, I have heard dozens of stories about Jesse Lingard that haven’t been promoted. One of the people at my work got his sick kid a load of signed goodies through Jesse and that never come up in the press. He actively helps out the local community. Smalling, Rashford and Mata are all amazing for it.
Whatever he’s paying his PR team it’s too much. Not that I need to see lots of contrived shit about rich people giving stuff away, as I know most footballers are pretty generous, but it’s better than half the stuff he does now.

Fan owned United

You can only please some of the people some of the time. Its a touch of class in my eyes from the lad, I'm sure all the Whalley lads where over the moon.

Erebus

Sometimes I just despair. People in this world try and do some good and all they get is criticism.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I dont know about negative, but its not like its a selfless gesture. Its your typical run of the mill "look at me, Im helping out the poor folks" stuff most "celebs" do. You dont think its funny that theres always someone there with a camera for all these selfless acts of kindness?
Yeah, it's clearly an organised photo shoot, as it's not like everyone in the world has a phone that can take photos.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
That's not just limited to charities and rich people. Not a single person on earth does it for any reason other than to make themselves feel good.
Everyone is selfish and self absorbed. The difference is that some are honest and others deny this for a false sense of virtue.
And so? If a deed produces a positive outcome why analyze the intent? To prove you are enlightened? Yes, human beings are selfish and no that isn't ground breaking. So the feck what.

The pseudo philosophers calling out virtue signaling always make themselves look silly.

Jimmy_Bond

I remember when he mucked up the final challenge he did on Soccer AM (I think?) he paid the fans their train fare home which was a couple of hundred kid.

He seems a bit of an idiot, and not someone I personally would probably enjoy having a pint with, but his heart is certainly in the right place as others have said.

Erebus

That's not just limited to charities and rich people. Not a single person on earth does it for any reason other than to make themselves feel good.
Everyone is selfish and self absorbed. The difference is that some are honest and others deny this for a false sense of virtue.
That is simply not true. History is full of people who have given all, including their lives, to help others. It might not be something many do, but to claim that no-one ever acts in a wholly altruistic way is simply wrong.

Rish Sawhney

That is simply not true. History is full of people who have given all, including their lives, to help others. It might not be something many do, but to claim that no-one ever acts in a wholly altruistic way is simply wrong.
That doesn't make it not selfish. I may give my life to protect my country or my child, but that's a completely selfish act as well. Anyways my point wasn't to diminish what Lingard did - it was a response to the people criticizing Lingard saying he's doing this as a selfish act for publicity. I think this was a genuinely nice thing to do - he really doesn't get much out of it apart from a couple of nice tweets but those people were probably helped a lot - but its not really that altruistic.

M15 Red.

This man knows. Rashy + Lingzy = Smashy & Nicey.

stepic

I find the platitudes a little much. He’s on what, £100k a week? Which is roughly what you would earn in 2 years on a pretty decent salary. That’s something like £750 a week.

What’s the cost of the kit and stuff? £2k? Let’s say it’s £5k for kicks. That’s the equivalent of giving £38 to charity.

Add to that they’re wearing his brand and he’s being photographed for doing it. What a hero.

Working class people give far more than this millionaire, comparatively speaking. And do it anonymously. They are the heroes.

Halftrack

I find the platitudes a little much. He’s on what, £100k a week? Which is roughly what you would earn in 2 years on a pretty decent salary. That’s something like £750 a week.

What’s the cost of the kit and stuff? £2k? Let’s say it’s £5k for kicks.

That’s the equivalent by the above measures of giving £38 to charity.

Add to that they’re wearing his brand and he’s being photographed for doing it. What a hero.

Working class people give far more than this millionaire, comparatively speaking. And do it anonymously. They are the heroes.
He only gave a gift worth a few thousands at best? Might as well have spat in their faces, the cheap bastard.

Flytan

And so? If a deed produces a positive outcome why analyze the intent? To prove you are enlightened? Yes, human beings are selfish and no that isn't ground breaking. So the feck what.

The pseudo philosophers calling out virtue signaling always make themselves look silly.
No I agree it's a good deed. I'm simply replying to some guy who said that celebrities always do this for publicity. I just added it's the same for everyone who does it.

SaintMuppet

Lingard could save a baby from a burning house and people like you would be angry at him. It's honestly embarrassing that you get wound up by some fecking Instagram posts. Same for the losers on here who give out about what him.or Rashford is wearing.

They haven't killed anyone for God's sake.
They have killed any semblance of fashion sense.......

But yeah I tend to agree. I can’t stand Lingard, I think he is an utter dick but he is not a murderer and does not deserve the level of hate he gets from some.

But you have to agree he makes it hard to like him..........

stepic

He only gave a gift worth a few thousands at best? Might as well have spat in their faces, the cheap bastard.
He gave £38 equivalent and got filmed doing it. If you think that’s worthy of praise and adoration then so be it. Lots of people give more than that to charity earning a hell of a lot less and they’re not marketing their own brand by doing so. People get suckered in by pound values way too much. He’s a freaking millionaire, this is small change to him.

If you base things on pure financials only, then someone donating 0.2% of their weekly income to charity is more generous than someone giving 20% just because they happen to earn more money by doing some arbitrary thing. That’s ridiculous.

Halftrack

He gave £38 equivalent and got filmed doing it. If you think that’s worthy of praise and adoration then so be it. Lots of people give more than that to charity earning a hell of a lot less and they’re not marketing their own brand by doing so. People get suckered in by pound values way too much. He’s a freaking millionaire, this is small change to him.

If you base things on pure financials only, then someone donating 0.2% of their weekly income to charity is more generous than someone giving 20% just because they happen to earn more money by doing some arbitrary thing. That’s ridiculous.
I haven't praised him, but I think praising him for it is far more appropriate than attacking him for it, or trying to make him out as some cheapskate for only giving a couple of thousand quid, based on the assumption that this is the only thing he's given. A couple of posters in this thread have said that he does small things like this all the time, without seeking plaudits for it, so he's probably a decent bloke. But I guess this one gift he gave was only 0.3% of his total income, so he might as well not have given anything for all the good it did.

I get what you're saying; that people are far too willing to heap praise for giving, what is to them, pocket change. And I tend to agree. But if it helps people out, it's a good thing, and people should be able to recognise it as such without others going "well actually the gift was worth the equivalent of pocket lint to him, so it'd be like you giving someone your garbage."

Mindhunter

Lingard needs a head wobble. His should leave the publicity stunts to his entourage and concentrate on his football more. Most of the time he looks like Pac-Man on the pitch - moving about aimlessly as the game passes him by. And here he is wasting his time while he United career is on the line. Hehe.