Lingard: RedCafe Enemy #1?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
From what I've noticed and it might just be me but is the amount of hate for Lingard on here warranted?

In recent threads Lingard's name has not been mentioned in many positive contexts, I would go so far as to say that Lingard is now the most despised United player on here even more so than Fellaini. I'm not a big Lingard fan but I can definitely appreciate the times when he comes in and does a job defensively or tactically. Furthermore he's made some big contributions in big games.

I do hope we replace him with a more talented winger but I think he's good enough to be squad player who is occasionally used when needed. Mou trusts him, the lads love him and he's virtually a local lad.

People are frustrated that like Fellaini before him, Lingard is at best a squad player but he is keeping far more talented players like Miki and Martial out of the team because of his workrate.

When we play as a pedestrian hard working team with zero flair it's frustrating to watch players like Lingard who embody that.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
He might've surpassed Fellaini as the go to blame target. Opinions tend to be a bit extreme on here.

He's a great squad option and Mourinho relies on him and trusts him for a reason.

Trizy

Hating him as a person, no. Hating him based on his ability is justified.

The blame should be on Jose though as we can all see that Lingard offers nothing and is completely shite yet he still plays. You would agree that might be fair IF we had no other options, however we have one of the best youth players in the world in Martial!! Lingard just isn't good enough and not United standards. The more he plays the more people will hate him because of it.

Similar the way people turned on Fellaini and Rooney. Not up to standard but won't seem to feck off.

rednotled

People are frustrated that like Fellaini before him, Lingard is at best a squad player but he is keeping far more talented players like Miki and Martial out of the team because of his workrate.
Whats that saying 'hard work beats talent until talent starts working hard' - onus is on them to up their workrate no?

Trizy

He might've surpassed Fellaini as the go to blame target. Opinions tend to be a bit extreme on here.

He's a great squad option and Mourinho relies on him and trusts him for a reason.
Great option as/of what? Giving the other team the advantage? :lol:

red thru&thru

Lingard is a Manchester United player. He is a player all United fans should support. It's amazing how two top managers consistently play/played him.

People just like to moan. Our club is based on our youth products. Plastic fans need to understand that.

Kostov

I don't hate him, i could never hate a Manchester United player. Simply i don't rate him and can't see a use of him in the team other than being homegrown. All the hate Fellaini got over this 4 years but he's a better player and offers something different. Generally i think he's been a better servant to the club than Lingard.

Eddy_JukeZ

Lingard is a Manchester United player. He is a player all United fans should support. It's amazing how two top managers consistently play/played him.

People just like to moan. Our club is based on our youth products. Plastic fans need to understand that.
Winning takes precedence over youth products.

MDFC Manager

I've heard people say that Lingard is the equivalent of the likes of Ji Sung Park. Which is obviously doing a huge disservice to JSP.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I like Lingard as a squad player, I just don't like the role he's been given by Mourinho.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
He embodies the mediocrity that often shows in our squad.
I'm not a fan of him, but I do believe the wrath he receives in the caf is unwarranted. But then again, people wanted Mata sold a year ago on this forum. Who would ever want to sell mr. Cuddles?!

AlecHDR

Great option as/of what? Giving the other team the advantage? :lol:
Is that why Mourinho sends him out to play? To give the other team an advantage?

Or is it more likely that you are misjudging him or exaggerating some of his worse performances?

I know which of the two options sounds more likely to me.

Kapardin

Managers can also make wrong decisions, which is why van Gaal was sacked and Jose finished 6th (and I am a fan of Jose, btw).

The club is based on winning. We are not a crèche for developing kids. The kids will get a chance automatically if they have world class potential.

POF

Martial is a far more talented player but if he had Lingard's movement he would be infinitely more dangerous.

He is an extremely useful squad player, versatile, scores important goals and is very effective in a counter attacking set up. United has/had a very static attack (Ibra, Martial, Mata) and Lingard adds a different dimension as a link player.

Ideally you would want someone with those attributes with more quality but until someone like that comes along he'll be a useful option.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Nicky Butt and Phil Neville got the same shit at times.
I suppose we need a scapegoat.

AlecHDR

Managers can also make wrong decisions, which is why van Gaal was sacked and Jose finished 6th (and I am a fan of Jose, btw).

The club is based on winning. We are not a crèche for developing kids. The kids will get a chance automatically if they have world class potential.
We are also not PSG and can't stack starting positions and the bench with superstars. Lingard is at the same level as many squad players that SAF used over the years, effectively.

AlecHDR

When we play as a pedestrian hard working team with zero flair it's frustrating to watch players like Lingard who embody that.
If this was actually the reason, i.e. Lingard starting more often than he should, shouldn't the criticism be sent Mourinho's way? Or Woodward's way? Lingard doesn't pick himself.

Kapardin

We are also not PSG and can't stack starting positions and the bench with superstars. Lingard is at the same level as many squad players that SAF used over the years, effectively.
There are squad players who can do a better job than Lingard though. His cup goals not withstanding, his league performances are hardly "effective". Its' not black and white.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Nicky Butt and Phil Neville got the same shit at times.
I suppose we need a scapegoat.
He's the hero Manchester deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A defensive winger.

Eddy_JukeZ

Scoring winners in finals don't count then.
Yes, he contributed to that FA Cup win and he has contributed, but we've got better players than him who see nearly the same amount of gametime as Lingard does.

AndyJ1985

Don't know why you need to make it personal. He's a mediocre footballer who will end up at a team in the bottom half of the table within a couple years. Most of us can see this. Doesn't mean we hate the guy, or he's a "public enemy", or he's a scapegoat, or we have an agenda. That's making it personal and throwing such accusations around is childish.

Fact is not every player we have is good enough. It's OK to acknowledge that and be critical of them as players. Doesn't mean we hate them and want a public execution ffs. Just means we want to see better players at United so our team performs better and we get back to competing in the CL with the best teams, like we used to.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes, he contributed to that FA Cup win and he has contributed, but we've got better players than him who see nearly the same amount of gametime as Lingard does.
Who can't be arsed to put the effort he does in, or follow instruction from their manager.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Being a football manager must be the easiest job in the world if so many of you sorry lot reckon they can do it better than the current pros.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I like him, he doesnt have the raw talent that some others do but has comfortably contributed more than most of our attacking players and is in the side on merit.

prtk0811

He's the hero Manchester deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A defensive winger.
:lol:

Robbie Boy

Didn't know there was another one :p
Well they all take the exact same trajectory: People that rate him think anyone that doesn't rate him is a "hater" and people that don't rate him think that anyone that rates him is a "fanboy". If you don't rate Lingard it must mean that you want a squad full of superstars, yada, yada, yada.... There's no middle ground with him.

Fact is, people don't rate him, it's that simple and it's easy to see why. Not sure why it always has to become personal as if people are following him around everywhere he goes slapping him with a wet fish.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
:lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought I was the only one who thought this.
Maybe it's because I'm not from Manchester, but I really don't care who's in our starting XI as long as we win.

And giving youth /youth products playing time if they jeopardize/decrease our chances of winning is not the way to go about it.

Hawks2008

Enemy number #1? If anything he's the player with the most apologists on this site. These apologists always say things like "oh but he's from the academy", "he grafts/puts in a shift", "he scored 3 times in finals" as if it makes up for his woeful end product and his minimal positive impact on our play. He is our worst wide player yet often starts ahead of players with more talent and output because of work rate (it isn't Lingard's fault Mourinho is spineless but he is symptomatic of our cautious approach)

I've seen people say "if he had a flashy name everyone would love him". On the contrary, if he wasn't from the academy no one wold be making excuses for him. If his name was Jesé Lingardinho and we bought him for 15-20m from the Portuguese league and had the same output and limitations he currently has, the 't0p red' types wouldn't defend him and would be seen for what he is, the one of the worst players in the squad.

Being a football manager must be the easiest job in the world if so many of you sorry lot reckon they can do it better than the current pros.
It has to be one of the most nepotistic professions on the planet. Almost every manager is an ex pro, almost all of whom were taken out of school at an early age and generally have very low education levels. By and large they are not tactical or management geniuses. Its a very small talent pool they are taken from. I think it's a poor assumption that non footballers couldn't do the job if the door was open to them and that non footballers can't ever know better than them.

rpg

When a player keeps playing poorly and keeps getting picked for games, that's when the hate comes. It has nothing with bearing the surname of Fellaini, Rooney, Lingard.

TheBiggest

He's a great player...works his socks off and is the epitome of everything our club stands for.

Can't stand United fans giving out about him.

Red_toad

Lads taken Rooneys crown. Someone needs to the one who gets blamed for everything, or that's how a lot on the Caf go on. Season not even started and the moaners are seeking out targets.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

QFT

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
At a time when player loyalty is at an all time low it gives me great pride to see this kid play for us. He's far from average, he's given us some great games, and some so so games, but who hasn't over the last 5 years?
We've got so many foreigners support us, and they will probably never understand, but this kid is one of us, and I love him. One of my favourite players, I hope he stays and does great for us.