Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And Lingard has been at least as poor in the last 4 but somehow manages to keep his place - at least with Martial something might happen, it's almost a certainty that nothing will happen with Lingard, everyone is amazed when he actually does something good, that's probably why it stands out more to some on here.
Like I said sample size is too small. 6 league games before that he played only 38 mins. He is squad player and he is playing like one with the quality and number of mins he is playing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
And Lingard has been at least as poor in the last 4 but somehow manages to keep his place - at least with Martial something might happen, it's almost a certainty that nothing will happen with Lingard, everyone is amazed when he actually does something good, that's probably why it stands out more to some on here.
You don't help yourself when you make such utterly bullshit comments as this.

If our strikers actually made runs into the box he could have an assist almost every game with the balls he's played across the front of goal that no fecker runs on to.

Lingard is a good player who some people just don't like for whatever reason and spend all their time exaggerating everything less than good and ignoring everything good. Every match thread it's the same group of people who will go mental at a misplaced pass from him but say nothing when the same comes from another player, yet will completely ignore it when he plays a dangerous ball or makes a good run.

It's agenda driven posting in the extreme and it's fecking dumb.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Like I said sample size is too small. 6 league games before that he played only 38 mins. He is squad player and he is playing like one with the quality and number of mins he is playing.
We looked much better in December, really playing well and Lingard was nowhere near the team and have regressed more and more since Lingard popped up to score in the cup final and now becoming much more of a regular. It's not all his fault but we just don't look as fluid, we are too congested with him in the team.
Thursday night when we scored, well set up with spaces between the players, where was Lingard, nowhere near the play with 6 players in front of him.

People say his running is his biggest asset, apart from poor technical ability and poor shooting plus, this is my biggest gripe, if I was playing I be shouting at him to get out of the way. His main asset is his effort and his love for the club - we need much more than that

Paul the Wolf

You don't help yourself when you make such utterly bullshit comments as this.

If our strikers actually made runs into the box he could have an assist almost every game with the balls he's played across the front of goal that no fecker runs on to.

Lingard is a good player who some people just don't like for whatever reason and spend all their time exaggerating everything less than good and ignoring everything good. Every match thread it's the same group of people who will go mental at a misplaced pass from him but say nothing when the same comes from another player, yet will completely ignore it when he plays a dangerous ball or makes a good run.

It's agenda driven posting in the extreme and it's fecking dumb.
It is not agenda driven, it is having a poor player playing for the team and if you can't see that, then that's your choice, a lot of people can see it, some can't

roonster09

Scout
We looked much better in December, really playing well and Lingard was nowhere near the team and have regressed more and more since Lingard popped up to score in the cup final and now becoming much more of a regular. It's not all his fault but we just don't look as fluid, we are too congested with him in the team.
Thursday night when we scored, well set up with spaces between the players, where was Lingard, nowhere near the play with 6 players in front of him.

People say his running is his biggest asset, apart from poor technical ability and poor shooting plus, this is my biggest gripe, if I was playing I be shouting at him to get out of the way. His main asset is his effort and his love for the club - we need much more than that
We are not debating Lingard's quality isn't it? That would be completely different topic and I more or less agree. Lingard is not that good a player.

My point was about him being squad player.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is not agenda driven, it is having a poor player playing for the team and if you can't see that, then that's your choice, a lot of people can see it, some can't
I guess Mourinho is just blind then, or perhaps just not as knowledgeable as you.

Paul the Wolf

We are not debating Lingard's quality isn't it? That would be completely different topic and I more or less agree. Lingard is not that good a player.

My point was about him being squad player.
But that's my point, he's not a squad player, squad players don't make so many starts and squad players don't earn salaries at this level

roonster09

Scout
But that's my point, he's not a squad player, squad players don't make so many starts and squad players don't earn salaries at this level
Again you are just going in circles. Your sample size was too small, it's like saying player is not a squad player because he started last game. He has played only 33% of the total mins.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not bang on because it's not their goals that are being compared. Martial is a better player at 20, Lingard is an average player at 24.
If he were he'd be playing more. Also, we shouldn't conflate natural talent with having a football brain, positive attitude, and great work ethic. Each of them is required for a player to reach their potential.

prath92

Not true at all. Martial has been mostly anonymous whenever he comes on. Plus he doesn't work hard for the team in ensuring a defensive shape. Lingard makes attacking runs and creates chances or takes shots. Plus he is willing to run down opponents and close them down.

As of now anyone can see that lingard is a much better option than martial

Paul the Wolf

Not true at all. Martial has been mostly anonymous whenever he comes on. Plus he doesn't work hard for the team in ensuring a defensive shape. Lingard makes attacking runs and creates chances or takes shots. Plus he is willing to run down opponents and close them down.

No comment

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

And Jesus wept

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Agreed. It's quite clear that Mourinho sees it this way as well.

manutddjw

Even if you leave out the debate of whether he's good enough to be here, I don't understand how anyone can look at the wage we're paying him and say we did good business.

What other club would give him that much? If he were on a free, maybe another club in the top 6 would take him, but he damn sure isn't being paid that much. We were in a position of strength when negotiating his deal and I can't for the life of me see how we came up with that figure.

Not a good move by us. Agents know their stuff and when someone like Lingard is making that much, any agent worth their salt will demand something similar.

AndyJ1985

Even if you leave out the debate of whether he's good enough to be here, I don't understand how anyone can look at the wage we're paying him and say we did good business.

What other club would give him that much? If he were on a free, maybe another club in the top 6 would take him, but he damn sure isn't being paid that much. We were in a position of strength when negotiating his deal and I can't for the life of me see how we came up with that figure.

Not a good move by us. Agents know their stuff and when someone like Lingard is making that much, any agent worth their salt will demand something similar.
From what I can see most people who have justified his wage have done so on the basis that it's because we're a rich club, so by default we pay players more than anywhere else. It's pretty stupid reasoning if you ask me. We shouldn't pay more than a players worth just because we can afford it, that's a terrible way to run any business. As you say it's a bad move and it further sets a precedent when it comes to agents taking us for mugs in future.

prath92

And Jesus wept
No one is saying he is De Bruyne but the stats show that he does create chances. Plus he is reliable to at least make an effort and at least defend even if he has a bad game which martial won't. So being off form it's kind of understandable why martial is benched for lingard.

prath92

Every team has players like that. Chelsea has batshuayi at 70k a week not even making the bench at times. Arsenal have the likes of Wilshere at 90k as well. City have a whole host of average players earning high salaries.

So paying lingard 75k a week isn't that shocking.

devips

Lingard is absolutely devastated. He rues the day he accepted the increased wage resulting from United management's ineptness and his agent's diabolical machinations. He humbly thanks certain Redcafe members for wasting so much of their own time to show him the unfairness of it all.

Meanwhile, he is crying all the way to the bank.

shield

No one is saying he is De Bruyne but the stats show that he does create chances. Plus he is reliable to at least make an effort and at least defend even if he has a bad game which martial won't. So being off form it's kind of understandable why martial is benched for lingard.
I like his work rate too.

I remember that Manchester City match at the start of the season where his performance was criticized a lot but he had kept running and had managed set up a sitter for Zlatan, at 2-1 down, after pressing their GK into committing an error and Zlatan had messed it up. Very underrated part of his game.

He is very similar to Dele Alli in his pressing and movement. Have a feeling that Mourinho rates him a lot and wants to work with him and that is why he has been awarded with a contract.

illReD

If he were he'd be playing more. Also, we shouldn't conflate natural talent with having a football brain, positive attitude, and great work ethic. Each of them is required for a player to reach their potential.
Playing time is not synonymous with ability, numerous examples can be used to debunk that claim. I don't see anything to suggest he has a good football brain and at 24, he's not getting younger.. A positive attitude is great, but it's not winning us many points & I fail to see the logic behind prioritising work ethic over flair in an attacking role for a team that is lacking that particular trait..

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Playing time is not synonymous with ability, numerous examples can be used to debunk that claim. I don't see anything to suggest he has a good football brain and at 24, he's not getting younger.. A positive attitude is great, but it's not winning us many points & I fail to see the logic behind prioritising work ethic over flair in an attacking role for a team that is lacking that particular trait..
Having a positive attitude and great worth ethic in training are obviously prerequisites to being selected on match day. If the manager doesn't see the player training to his maximum ability, he isn't likely to select him. So far this year, Martial has looked more like a slightly better version of Memphis than the 2nd coming of Henry. He should be performing significantly better, not worse, than last year if we are to believe last year was anything more than a first year fluke.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like his work rate too.

I remember that Manchester City match at the start of the season where his performance was criticized a lot but he had kept running and had managed set up a sitter for Zlatan, at 2-1 down, after pressing their GK into committing an error and Zlatan had messed it up. Very underrated part of his game.

He is very similar to Dele Alli in his pressing and movement. Have a feeling that Mourinho rates him a lot and wants to work with him and that is why he has been awarded with a contract.
Stop it please

illReD

Having a positive attitude and great worth ethic in training are obviously prerequisites to being selected on match day. If the manager doesn't see the player training to his maximum ability, he isn't likely to select him. So far this year, Martial has looked more like a slightly better version of Memphis than the 2nd coming of Henry. He should be performing significantly better, not worse, than last year if we are to believe last year was anything more than a first year fluke.
They've played the same amount of games with Martial contributing to nearly twice the amount of goals... In a team that is lacking goals I'd rather us have the slightly better version of Memphis playing week in week out and hopefully gaining the confidence to recreate the so called first year fluke than sticking with and praising Lingard because he runs a lot.. I like the lad, but he's not good enough & if Jose really rates work rate above productivity then there are harder workers with more productivity than Lingard to not warrant giving him a £100,000 a week contract that is going to give basically any player we approach with talent the license to ask for far more than that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They've played the same amount of games with Martial contributing to nearly twice the amount of goals... In a team that is lacking goals I'd rather us have the slightly better version of Memphis playing week in week out and hopefully gaining the confidence to recreate the so called first year fluke than sticking with and praising Lingard because he runs a lot.. I like the lad, but he's not good enough & if Jose really rates work rate above productivity then there are harder workers with more productivity than Lingard to not warrant giving him a £100,000 a week contract that is going to give basically any player we approach with talent the license to ask for far more than that.
Martial has 7 goals and Lingard has 5 in roughly the same amount of fixtures.

Moreover, the manager obviously disagrees with your assessment of things. He may be giving Martial the tough love treatment because he knows he is capable for far more than what he has demonstrated in training and on the pitch. Now it's Martial's turn to reciprocate and prove why Mourinho was wrong to not select him more. So far he hasn't done that. Let's see if he has what it takes to break through that barrier.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Moreover, the manager obviously disagrees with your assessment of things. He may be giving Martial the tough love treatment because he knows he is capable than far more than what he has demonstrated in training and on the pitch. Now it's Martial's turn to reciprocate and prove why Mourinho was wrong to not select him more. So far he hasn't done that. Let's see if he has what it takes to break through that barrier.
And minute-wise, Martial has played 20% more than Lingard (1907 vs 1591). Starts and amount of appearances never tell the whole story.

stevoc

Moreover, the manager obviously disagrees with your assessment of things. He may be giving Martial the tough love treatment because he knows he is capable for far more than what he has demonstrated in training and on the pitch. Now it's Martial's turn to reciprocate and prove why Mourinho was wrong to not select him more. So far he hasn't done that. Let's see if he has what it takes to break through that barrier.
Martial has 8 goals and 7 assists to Lingards 5 & 3.

Paul the Wolf

You equated the two as if trusting one meant trusting all managers. Moyes was (is) an idiot, Mourinho is not.
So when Fergie signed Bebe or Djemba-Djemba or Taibi, etc etc and the list goes on - who was the idiot there - difference is Fergie recognised his mistakes and corrected them - has Mourinho the ego to allow himself to admit to a mistake? unlikely ,no he'll compound it by giving a poor player a bumper contract and pick every opportunity to validate his opinion by dropping players like Martial and Shaw at the earliest opportunity.

Fergie was the best but he still made mistakes, everyone does

Status
Not open for further replies.