Lingard to join West Ham on loan

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Hope he keeps doing well and we get a good fee for him in the summer.

Jam

Very happy for the lad, glad he's playing well and with a smile. Hope this continues!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Nah. You gonna give him a new contract? We going to give him a pay rise?simple fact is he won't have the space he has playing for us.

Sell him while he has value.
He gets the space because West Ham get the ball forward much quicker than we do, one of my gripes why we struggle against a low block, we play the ball to our forwards feet who then pass back to our midfielders or most of the time to our CB's, that closes all the space in the opponents half, therefore why Lingard looks lost.

Amir

Let him go. At this stage of his career he should be playing as much as possible rather than be a squad player with us.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Let him go. At this stage of his career he should be playing as much as possible rather than be a squad player with us.
Then who do we keep as squad players? We need squad players that aren't teenagers.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s doesn’t matter If he scores 20 we should still sell him now. His value will never be higher (with us) and he needs to be playing every week at 28. I have a feeling he’ll taper off majorly and revert to past form levels next season once he gets comfortable at West Ham and teams figure them out and nobody will mention bringing him back again

United Hobbit

I hope they sign him, he's currently doing well for them- I thought he would be suited to a smaller PL club

I hope this doesn't make us extend his contract or anything- hopefully it will have got people interested in buying him.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Was so mediocre today against a strong opposition.

Sloppy passes, slightly at fault for their second goal. Back to being bang average.

Glad he's getting time at West Ham. Hope we get an offer from them for him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Sloppy passes, slightly at fault for their second goal. Back to being bang average.

Well that’s a load of bollox. He played well. Got an assist and involved in all of West Ham’s best attacking football. Almost assisted an equaliser in injury time as well, with a quality cross from deep.

Amir

Then who do we keep as squad players? We need squad players that aren't teenagers.
We do. But until he left four weeks ago, Lingard could barely get any time on the pitch. So obviously we didn't need him desperately.

People have been bigging Solskjaer up for doing things the Fergie way. That included letting good squad players (Butt, Phil Neville) go when they got older and deserved to play more rather than sit on our bench for long periods.

RashyForPM

Patently untrue. Sloppy passes yes, but he got an assist and put in a peach of a cross in the last minute which Diop should have scored from. He was fine, definitely better than Fornals at least.

Mr. Ant

It's quite clear the pressure playing for United got to him after he lost form and his confidence.

He found his level and I hope they will want to buy him in the summer if Ed doesn't ask for too much money.

We should let him leave like we let Smalling leave. Good players but not good enough for us. Jesse certainly benefits from playing consistently and he won't get that chance here.

AgentSmith

He gets the space because West Ham get the ball forward much quicker than we do, one of my gripes why we struggle against a low block, we play the ball to our forwards feet who then pass back to our midfielders or most of the time to our CB's, that closes all the space in the opponents half, therefore why Lingard looks lost.
West Ham rarely play against low-block defences.

Their team is the perfect platform for Lingard. He wouldn’t maintain this form at United playing second fiddle to Bruno.

We should cash in while we can and so should Lingard, it’s the best option for both parties.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Patently untrue. Sloppy passes yes, but he got an assist and put in a peach of a cross in the last minute which Diop should have scored from. He was fine, definitely better than Fornals at least.
I'm not comparing him to West Ham players. He was fine for West Ham.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near United when we face teams like City.

Amir

Meanwhile, the team that will win the league have a bunch of squad players of a similar age (i.e. in their prime). These two things might be connected.
We clearly need "Lingards". But at this stage, both because of his history with and and his age, I'd look at other players filling that role

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Meanwhile, the team that will win the league have a bunch of squad players of a similar age (i.e. in their prime). These two things might be connected.
What City have is a bunch of £40m-£50m squad players, who realistically would be starting for all their rivals. No one even comes close to having that sort of quality on their bench, it's nothing to do with them being in their prime, it's to do with the fact they can afford to have a squad of such quality in a way no other team can.

Lingard had his chances here, far more than he ever deserved, he wasn't good enough and he was never going to be the difference between us winning a league title and us fighting for top 4.

Raven

Looked fantastic today, he was absolutely waltzing past players as if the weren't there. Hope he can keep this level and enjoy the rest if his career.

RashyForPM

I'm not comparing him to West Ham players. He was fine for West Ham.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near United when we face teams like City.
Neither would I so fair enough. West Ham, Everton or Arsenal (seriously) is about his level. Upper midtable team.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

Their team is the perfect platform for Lingard. He wouldn’t maintain this form at United playing second fiddle to Bruno.

We should cash in while we can and so should Lingard, it’s the best option for both parties.
That is very true, but my point was that we tend to play the ball backwards at almost every occasion, even when we have an opportunity to get an early ball into the box. West Ham tend to get players forward quickly, and utilise the space, apart from these odd occasion, we don't.
I agree that a permanent move is in every party's interest.

sillwuka

I'm glad he's doing well, a number of Premier league teams will want to bring him in at the end of the season.

I don't think Jesse will cope well with being a squad player again, it's safe to say his United career is over and I personally think it's best for his mental health.

van Nistelrooy

What a shock people are in for if he comes back into the fold next season and try to understand why he has become a waste of space again.

He suits West Ham and this patch will fade away before long.

Fitchett

I'm really glad he is doing well but we shouldn't be surprised OR get carried away.

We have good players, that much should be obvious. If you took players that get stick on here (sometimes from me!) like Lingard, Rashford and Martial and put them into mid-table teams who are afforded more space in-behind the opposition they would be very effective.

The trouble is, we play teams who put ten behind the ball and that's why they sometimes struggle

These three posts sum up perfectly why Lingard is performing much better for West Ham, than he does for us. There's nothing to suggest that Lingard would replicate his West Ham form if he returned to us. Either cash in with a good price or use as a part ex deal for Rice in the summer.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
People wanting Lingard back and involved in the first team squad would want to jettison him out of the club a few months from here.

Let him leave. We've had his best years here. It's time for both to part ways.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

No need to bash lingard or call this a patch of form. It's great that he is doing well for West Ham.

We don't need him here, so this loan has been perfect for us. His value has gone up, and Wham won't be the only club after him this summer.

SirScholes

And because he isn’t good enough for us**
Players like him do better in small teams because the opposition aren’t as motivated and also don’t defend in as many numbers

Silverman

Delighted for him but he's best suited to a counter attacking team so he's best to leave.

I know a lot will say we are a counter attacking team but we have to try and break teams down plenty of times as well so we're a bit 50/50 imo.

Brightonian

He gets space because teams do not show up to West Ham planning to park the bus.

Unless you think it's because Noble and Soucek move the ball more smartly under that champion of progressive football David Moyes than Pogba and Bruno do under Ole?

Last edited: