Lingard to join West Ham on loan

Crustanoid

We all know that Woodward has been watching MOTD and Twitter and put 2+2 together and got 29.

We’re giving him a new 6year contract

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Better than james.
Better than this version of martial
Better than old man mata
Better than overplayed/playing thru injury rashford
Better than dvdb

How can people not see he has a place in our squad?

Youre prob among the same fans who said lukakku wasnt good enough and wanted pogba to leave. You probably turning on ddg too.

Chief123

Better than james.
Better than old man mata
Better than dvdb

Youre prob among the same fans who said lukakku wasnt good enough and wanted pogba to leave. You probably turning on ddg too.
Lukaku wasn’t actually good enough for us. The mistake was not selling him. The mistake was not getting an adequate replacement.

Lingard has had long enough at Utd to prove himself. He never quite cut it. Playing for West Ham is a totally different kettle of fish than for Utd. 90% of teams Utd face are against teams who will sit deep. That doesn’t happen against West Ham. Don’t get carried away with the hype.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Lukaku wasn’t actually good enough for us. The mistake was not selling him. The mistake was not getting an adequate replacement.

Lingard has had long enough at Utd to prove himself. He never quite cut it. Playing for West Ham is a totally different kettle of fish than for Utd. 90% of teams Utd face are against teams who will sit deep. That doesn’t happen against West Ham. Don’t get carried away with the hype.
Im not saying hes a world beater.. but hes a perfectly good player to have in our squad. (Assuming he wants to be a squad player) Especially if we want to challenge on all fronts. hes better than options we currently have. Even if we recruit well this summer. Our squad is still looking thin.

MattJ166

A couple of my mates are West Ham fans and whilst being shocked/happy that he's producing the goods on the scale that he is they stated that they wouldn't pay over 30m for him for various reasons (could just be another purple patch, 1 year left, 28 etc). The mere fact that they would be happy paying 30m when he looked like he'd go for 15m at one stage is gold though.

I don't mind the lad but I think it's best for both parties if he leaves to new pastures, i'll love him a little bit more if he also gets us an extra 30m or a swap with Rice

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid and Inter Milan are monitoring Jesse Lingard's situation before the summer transfer window. The 28-year-old England and Manchester United midfielder is impressing on loan at West Ham. (ESPN)

No one picked up on this yet this morning then?

stevoc

Im not saying hes a world beater.. but hes a perfectly good player to have in our squad. (Assuming he wants to be a squad player) Especially if we want to challenge on all fronts. hes better than options we currently have. Even if we recruit well this summer. Our squad is still looking thin.
Why is he on loan then?

Why wasn't he better than what we have when he was here?

If you think about it those questions answer themselves. He's in great form but people are getting carried away, 3 good months for West Ham doesn't guarantee anything for a player as wildly inconsistent as Lingard if he came back.

stevoc

Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid and Inter Milan are monitoring Jesse Lingard's situation before the summer transfer window. The 28-year-old England and Manchester United midfielder is impressing on loan at West Ham. (ESPN)

It was posted yesterday i think.

Martialfc

Anyone that wants him back hasn’t got a clue. He’s so heavily average and has a negative influence on the others around him. Get him out of my club ASAP. I don’t want to watch him do his cringey little dances when he scores a goal every 12 games. Bruno has replaced him and look at the quality difference I hope we take our money and run. Is it any coincidence that Rashford is having two good seasons which coincides with Jesse being phased out the team? One to think about..:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I'm so happy for him and for the club - he should fetch us at least £30m given the form he's in.

red4ever 79

Why is he on loan then?

Why wasn't he better than what we have when he was here?

If you think about it those questions answer themselves. He's in great form but people are getting carried away, 3 good months for West Ham doesn't guarantee anything for a player as wildly inconsistent as Lingard if he came back.
Exactly this. People have short memories and are very reactionary when something goes well. Club were right to loan him out, as he isnt getting anywhere near our starting line up. The loan move has also done him the world of good. Hopefully we get a good price in the summer for him

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’d have to throw my nutter opinion here. Lingard has never been that bad a player as the cafe would like us to believe. His role at United was never to solely be a creative outlet but do a job on the opposition, just like we are seeing with Dan James right now.
That’s a role he’d willing take on at United because he wants to get in the team. We’ve previously seen this Lingard playing for England, nothing new here. The defensive responsibilities he has at West Ham is way more minimal.
Coming back to United won’t do him any good because it’ll be back to the way we used him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, we either sell him or Van de Beek this summer. It will likely be Lingard. But we need a back up 10, and there should be no circumstance where Lingard is retained and VDB is still here as it would just be unnecessary. Both probably have a not too dissimilar market value now, and I wouldn’t be fussed which of the two we kept. In fact, Lingard is probably of more use.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Leverage for Rice would be best for all concerned, that’s for sure.

If it’s straight sale for a few million quid which may or may not be sensibly spent (or spent at all) then I’m more than happy to keep him as a squad player.
As a squad player do you think the manager will give him the creative freedom he has at West Ham?

Leverage for Rice would be best for all concerned, that’s for sure.

If it’s straight sale for a few million quid which may or may not be sensibly spent (or spent at all) then I’m more than happy to keep him as a squad player.
Even in a years time, Lingard and his reps will point to this spell to show what he can do. So he will have lots of takers then. No point bringing him back, he wouldn’t sign a new contract, and we would forgo £30m for a squad player who would rarely play.

I’m excited for him that he’s doing well. Sometimes players need a new start. Pleased for him. But it’s win/win for everyone for him to go in the summer.

RedDevilzFox

Hope he goes to Real Madrid. It will be akin to signing Julien Faubert, they got a lot of flak for that. It was funny as hell.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Anyone that wants him back hasn’t got a clue. He’s so heavily average and has a negative influence on the others around him. Get him out of my club ASAP. I don’t want to watch him do his cringey little dances when he scores a goal every 12 games. Bruno has replaced him and look at the quality difference I hope we take our money and run. Is it any coincidence that Rashford is having two good seasons which coincides with Jesse being phased out the team? One to think about..:
One of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. (and I should know I've wrote a few of them! :lol: )

Claiming that Jesse is a bad boy, toxic person in the club because he likes to dance and do silly goal celebrations? What? Negative influence?! What on earth are you talking about?! Claiming that Jesse leaving has lead to Rashford playing better?! Beggers Belief!

redshaw

Thing is he played regularly here, too regularly and didn't produce. His poor form was supposedly down to problems at home, he was given sympathy and multiple chances, this went on for a long time.

For those that follow him closely, are his family problems behind him? Did it take being finally frozen out for him to solve them. Are they on hold while he's in London. What happens soon as he's back in the north west as a squad player, do his family problems start to form again.

What's telling might be that properly dropping him has made him sort his life out and refocus, I'd argue it should've been done a lot sooner rather than 1-2 years of chances kicking the can down the road in a comfort zone. This is supposed to be Manchester United and I said at the time he should be given a break away from playing and not be constantly picked while he has issues at home to solve. We would have a player ready to play now if we did that instead hoping things would change.

I'm really pleased he's playing well but taking him back depends on the situation of his home problems and whether they will start again once back.

tomaldinho1

Better than james.
Better than old man mata
Better than dvdb

Whisper it around here but he must be close to even outperforming Bruno in the same role, in a similar setup but with worse players....8 goals (no penos), 3 assists in 9 games is world class.

With Lingard, though, you can't help but think he should push for a move. United was probably too comfortable for him, he was a sub/squad player who'd been with the club since he was a boy, earning £100k a week - he looks so much more alive and switched on with WHUM - and he only would be coming back to be competition/depth for Bruno anyway. His form is amazing and he's back in the England fold - sure he won't win major trophies with WHUM (not that it's guaranteed with United either mind) but he's their star player, they'll be Europe (likely EL) and he's 30 in couple of seasons.

Reckon we'll swap Lingard for Diop. Diop/Maguire would be a monster pairing for me.

poleglass red

this loan spell has worked out well for Lingard, his stock has been raised via his goalscoring exploits. At best for us he is a squad player, at West ham he would be a major player for them. I think the best scenario as others have probably already said is use him as leverage for Rice.

RedDevilzFox

One of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. (and I should know I've wrote a few of them! :lol: )

Claiming that Jesse is a bad boy, toxic person in the club because he likes to dance and do silly goal celebrations? What? Negative influence?! What on earth are you talking about?! Claiming that Jesse leaving has lead to Rashford playing better?! Beggers Belief!
He is probably not a negative influence, he is just crap player who had a purple patch once every 2 years. Hope he stays at west ham or signs for real madrid, they need him more than we do.

Jezpeza

Yes. He could be a back-up to Bruno. Which VdB is not now and never will be.
not pleased with VDB but Lingard is a kick and rush footballer. He is doing well in West Hams side because they suit him. Did you not see leicester playing up on the halfway line against west ham? No one plays like that against us. He proved for years Hes not much good against a low block. When it gets tight and technical and he needs to have vision and play creative passes he just isnt able, he isnt that kind of player

Robertd0803

Him being linked with Arsenal is so funny, can you imagine some of the goons on that Youtube thing having to talk him up after Lingard dancing at the Emirates :lol: :lol: :lol:

Positive leverage for Rice and West Ham can have him for a decent fee, otherwise see what other offers we get. You cant tell me he isnt appealling to a lot of teams right now. We certainly arent obliged to sell him to West Ham just because hes doing fantastically well for them.

I can see us pricing him and them out of a move though and he ends up back to square one with us next season.

Keefy18

Better than james.
Better than old man mata
Better than dvdb

It doesn't matter if he is better than some of those, he still isn't at the level we require to win leagues.

Yes his run of form is fantastic, but folks like you seem to forget that over a 4 year period at United his avg numbers were

41 apps
7 goals
4 assists

Basically if he stayed for another 4 years at United we'd get 6 goals roughly for every year from him.

The sensible thing to do with Lingard now is cash in on this short burst of form from him and use it to invest in a better player than him or free up a spot for one of the younger lads to step up like Diallo or Pellistri etc etc.

Last edited:

Keefy18

You must suffer from short term memory loss.

He was an absolute cabbage across social media for years, it got to the point where he was warned about his conduct by the club.

https://talksport.com/football/5618...er-furious-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-social-media/

Jezpeza

It doesn't matter if he is better than some of those, he still isn't at the level we require to win leagues.

Yes his run of form is fantastic, but folks like you seem to forget that over a 4 year period at United his avg numbers were

41 apps
7 goals
4 assists

Basically if he stayed for another 4 years at United we'd get 6 goals roughly for every year from him.

The sensible thing to do with Lingard now is cash in on this short burst of form from him and use it to invest in a better player than him or free up a spot for one of the younger lads to step up like Diallo or Pellistri etc etc.
Yeah i wouldn't worry, he’s going. If he was remotely part of our plans he would have played this season and he wouldn't have been loaned out.

the whole Man Utd stance on it is that we have to come out and say he could have a future here etc etc to keep his value up. No good for his price if we say ‘dont give a shit what hes done at west ham dont want him back ever please buy him’.

we tried similar with sanchez, Ole was saying ‘hes going to be an important player here next season’ right to the point we paid him off to disappear before pre season even started.

Keefy18

Yeah i wouldn't worry, he’s going. If he was remotely part of our plans he would have played this season and he wouldn't have been loaned out.

the whole Man Utd stance on it is that we have to come out and say he could have a future here etc etc to keep his value up. No good for his price if we say ‘dont give a shit what hes done at west ham dont want him back ever please buy him’.

we tried similar with sanchez, Ole was saying ‘hes going to be an important player here next season’ right to the point we paid him off to disappear before pre season even started.
Oh no I totally agree.

It's standard for so many supporters to ignore his 4 years of average performances for us in favor of a dozen decent games now.

There's no real upside at all to keeping Jesse, better off cashing in and moving forward.

OleGunnar20

Surprised people are calling for his return. Short memories it seems.

Jesse's doing great at West Ham under hugely different circumstances than hed be afforded here.

I'm equal parts suprised and happy for him but returning would be a terrible idea for all parties. He'd go back to being a utility backup, a small fish in a big pool unsuited to the huge pressure that comes with being a United player.

He's found his niche and is thriving. He should hold onto that and we should be pleased to get a bit of cash from what last year seemed like a bit of a wasted paycheck.

Everybody wins.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hammers fans seem to think it shouldn't be more then £25mil... personally I think we should be able to get £30m, whether that be from West Ham or not.

I do think he needs to move on from us, yes he's a good player, but we don't play the football that suits him...

Declan Rice for £20m + Lingard would be a great deal for all involved I think.

Martialfc

It’s all about attitude. Can you imagine Roy Keane doing such things? Can you imagine Harry Kane? Cavani? Football is all about attitude. Name one top player that acts like Jesse? Jesse isn’t a bad boy toxic like Mario Balotelli. He’s a 28 year old immature idiot that is more interested in his social media following than his football career. I for one think Rashfords run of form is because he’s having less influence from idiots like him.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It’s all about attitude. Can you imagine Roy Keane doing such things? Can you imagine Harry Kane? Cavani? Football is all about attitude. Name one top player that acts like Jesse? Jesse isn’t a bad boy toxic like Mario Balotelli. He’s a 28 year old immature idiot that is more interested in his social media following than his football career. I for one think Rashfords run of form is because he’s having less influence from idiots like him.
Ronaldo and mbappe made trademark celebrations too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What about the many (many) Brazilian footballers that have danced for celebrations? And loads of footballers these days are into their social media - thats just the times we live in. I mean Ronaldo literally has the most Instagram followers of anyone in the entire world.

Also Rashford form was at its best in the first half of the season - when Jesse was still at the club.

RedDevilzFox

What about the many (many) Brazilian footballers that have danced for celebrations? And loads of footballers these days are into their social media - thats just the times we live in. I mean Ronaldo literally has the most Instagram followers of anyone in the entire world.

Also Rashford form was at its best in the first half of the season - when Jesse was still at the club.
They backed up their shit with skill and performances. Jesse backed it up with that god awful Jlingz clothing line.