Lingard to join West Ham on loan

RedDevilzFox

Wlll he's currently backing it up by being the most in-form and productive player in the league...
Yes we should completely ignore last 4 years of dross now because he scored a few goals for west ham. So much so we are literally defending him with examples of Brazilian footballers and Ronaldo and mbappe.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yes we should completely ignore last 4 years of dross now because he scored a few goals for west ham. So much so we are literally defending him with examples of Brazilian footballers and Ronaldo and mbappe.
It's more that these things have no baring on how good a footballer is or can be. They can be seperated.

Keefy18

What about the many (many) Brazilian footballers that have danced for celebrations? And loads of footballers these days are into their social media - thats just the times we live in. I mean Ronaldo literally has the most Instagram followers of anyone in the entire world.

Also Rashford form was at its best in the first half of the season - when Jesse was still at the club.
It's not so much he has a social media profile, its how that profile is portrayed to the public.

He's shown himself to be immature, irresponsible and the club warned him about his behavior on social media.

Since those incidents he's barely had a regular spot in the team.

It's not a coincidence.

kerryman

Wlll he's currently backing it up by being the most in-form and productive player in the league...
His stats since joining WH are astonishing, 8 goals and 3 assists in 9 games! Can't remember any player having such an impact so quickly at a new club.

MrBrightside1989

This loan has worked out well for United. If the club, as I expect, sell lingard he has gone from a £10m player (January) to being easily worth £25m, or a valuable trading chip if the club want to move for Rice, Kane etc etc.
Or the club can keep him, and have a fit, hungry Lingard who may be able to make an impact, although this may be difficult for him as he is unlikely to displace Fernandes as a 10. (Plus I don't think he is good enough for where we want to be)

Last edited:

jem

I might be confusing you with another poster but aren’t you on some peculiar personal crusade to pretend Bruno’s been a lot less good than everyone else thinks he has?
The fact that we even have such posters is mindboggling. Check out what that Canagel character has had to say about Bruno. Beggars belief and is the definition of agenda.

jem

Lingard is being talked about as someone on a hot streak because he has a body of work before joining West Ham that supports this idea.

Bruno is completely different in that he brought his United form with him from his previous club. Then he has been consistently productive at his current club for much much longer than Jesse has.

The difference is so marked it makes your downplaying of Bruno’s impact much more bizarre than anyone dismissing Lingard’s current form as unsustainable. I might be confusing you with another poster but aren’t you on some peculiar personal crusade to pretend Bruno’s been a lot less good than everyone else thinks he has?
And yes that poster also has a habit of posting in Bruno's thread, using yawn-inducing metrics to downplay his achievements.

lysglimt

Scout
I hope we sell him to West Ham - they "deserve" to have him after completely re-igniting his career. So I hope they can give us £25-30 million - because I have a feeling someone else will bid as much

CG1010

My main issue with him is that he tends to lose confidence very easily and it goes on across a large stretch of games. In those games he stinks the place completely - hiding behind opposition players and never showing up for the ball, cowardice in passing, lack of pressing, etc. Its problematic for talented players like Martial but for players like Lingard who want to claim a place as a player who can do a job, reliability is a very important criteria. This is why he cannot be another Park/O-Shea for us.

Obviously we don't know what all might be going on in his personal life and how he is coping with them, so commenting on only what we have seen on the pitch in last few years.

Ranchero

There are lots of average players like lingard who look decent in poor teams and would be poor in our team
Well done for playing well in a few games, same about the previous few seasons he was awful, there is a reason he is no longer wanted/needed at the club
Oh man, Lingard looks good in a poor team? That's the West Ham side that are currently fourth. Poor? Only need one word to describe this. Begins with 'n' ends in 'e' and has 'onsens' in the middle.

Ranchero

I was having a nice relaxing bath having done my back in. I was listening to Talksport (wasn't the reason I did my back in), and my pleasure was interrupted by some fan suggesting that we could use Lingard as a bargaining tool to get Declan Rice.
Declan blimmin Rice? They should be paying us good money plus Lingard to take that overrated CDM off their hands. Which player do West Ham miss when he is missing? Rice? No. They just beat Leicester? Lingard? You bet.
It is an utterly daft trade, and I don't want Declan Rice who will not be good value. Please. No Declan Rice.

SirScholes

Oh man, Lingard looks good in a poor team? That's the West Ham side that are currently fourth. Poor? Only need one word to describe this. Begins with 'n' ends in 'e' and has 'onsens' in the middle.
I think the whole season has been enjoyable as a whole but the standard isn’t great is it.
the top 4 used to be Utd Chelsea Liverpool/Spurs city arsenal (once upon a time) who all reached finals/semis of the CL, are you telling me forthplaced West Ham are amongst those teams in terms of talent?
but Hey, let’s go off your logic and get moyes to manage us while we’re at it

SirScholes

His stats since joining WH are astonishing, 8 goals and 3 assists in 9 games! Can't remember any player having such an impact so quickly at a new club.
Not as astonishing as going a whole season without a goal or assist

justsomebloke

What’s just bizarre for me is that Bruno was already being talked about as an all-time great, impactful signing and getting comparisons with Cantona by the end of the last season

Lingard is looking like delivering even more on the field than what Bruno did, is potentially going to actually carry West Ham to a far more unlikely achievement, yet people dismiss it and talking it down as just some good form.
That's not bizarre at all. We already know what Jesse Lingard can and can't do for us. And what went down was that we were utterly awful when we had Lingard for a no 10, and instantly became literally unbeatable in the PL when Bruno Fernandes arrived to replace him. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team being changed so radically by the arrival of a single player as we very obviously were by the arrival of Bruno. West Ham was good without Lingard, and continue to be good with him.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
It would be interesting to see what Jesse wants to do. Does he want to stay at WH where he's a star and everything is in place for him, or does he want to try his luck in a "bigger" club? Or does he want to give it another go at United? I can't imagine the latter being an option.

I would stay at WH if I were him. Perfect club for him.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I was having a nice relaxing bath having done my back in. I was listening to Talksport (wasn't the reason I did my back in), and my pleasure was interrupted by some fan suggesting that we could use Lingard as a bargaining tool to get Declan Rice.
Declan blimmin Rice? They should be paying us good money plus Lingard to take that overrated CDM off their hands. Which player do West Ham miss when he is missing? Rice? No. They just beat Leicester? Lingard? You bet.
It is an utterly daft trade, and I don't want Declan Rice who will not be good value. Please. No Declan Rice.
Disgusting, I bet that soured the ombeeonse of your candle lit bath under dim lighting.

stevoc

You could have just said nonsense it's not a swear word.

West Ham aren't a poor team but they are a poorer side than United. It's obvious Lingard can be the main man there which he would never be at United.

rollingstoned1

He might have put his troubles behind him but lingard can't complain that he didnt get a chance here if we decide to let him go which would all things considered be the right move. Him and Pereira had the chance to seal their spot and stake a claim for being on the fringes of the first team squad which they utterly failed at. People were harsher on Jlingz than Pereira because he is more talented than him. He isn't that old that he can't have a productive career at a club like w ham and be in the england squad if he wants it badly enough. Of all the players we have who aren't quite upto the mark he is easily the most sellable and that Is despite the wages he is reportedly being paid.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
His last say 10 appearances for United were really, really bad. I remember he couldn't even properly control a somewhat difficult pass to him many times. Then there is the stat of 1 goal in 16 months (I think that is correct). Sell and move on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
West Ham paid about £25m a piece for the 3 others they have doing an inferior version of what Jesse does for them - and two of those were signed from Championship clubs. If there are multiple interested parties, we should be getting £30m at least for him. Any kind of replication of this form in the Euros and that’s £35m. One year left or not. It’s pay it or miss out.

Gator Nate

Better than james.
Better than this version of martial
Better than old man mata
Better than overplayed/playing thru injury rashford
Better than dvdb

How can people not see he has a place in our squad?

Youre prob among the same fans who said lukakku wasnt good enough and wanted pogba to leave. You probably turning on ddg too.
Assuming your assessments are correct, they are still immaterial.

He's not playing forward, so it doesn't matter if he's better than James, Martial or Rashford. Mata hasn't been in the squad for months; being better than him might get you on the bench and not on the field. DvdB hasn't been on the field much since he arrived; being better than him might still keep you on the bench and not on the field.

Except for their game against Leicester, he's played the same position in a 4-2-3-1 as Bruno. That's the only positionally comparable player in our lineup, but you don't mention him.

Truth is, he's good enough for a backup to Bruno. Truth also is, he doesn't want to be a backup. It's just better for both sides that we get a good deal for him to move on.

Oh, and Lukaku wasn't good enough, Pogba wants to leave (then he doesn't, then he does, then he doesn't, then we just get tired of the drama), and DDG has been on a statistical decline to mid-league for the last three years (as shown in other threads) while we have possibly the best up-and-coming keeper in the league supplanting him.

justsomebloke

Assuming your assessments are correct, they are still immaterial.

He's not playing forward, so it doesn't matter if he's better than James, Martial or Rashford. Mata hasn't been in the squad for months; being better than him might get you on the bench and not on the field. DvdB hasn't been on the field much since he arrived; being better than him might still keep you on the bench and not on the field.

Except for their game against Leicester, he's played the same position in a 4-2-3-1 as Bruno. That's the only positionally comparable player in our lineup, but you don't mention him.

Truth is, he's good enough for a backup to Bruno. Truth also is, he doesn't want to be a backup. It's just better for both sides that we get a good deal for him to move on.

Oh, and Lukaku wasn't good enough, Pogba wants to leave (then he doesn't, then he does, then he doesn't, then we just get tired of the drama), and DDG has been on a statistical decline to mid-league for the last three years (as shown in other threads) while we have possibly the best up-and-coming keeper in the league supplanting him.
They way he's currently playing at West Ham, you'd think he's good enough for a backup to Bruno. But the way he played here, he was nowhere near an adequate backup for Bruno.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
At 29 he's better off playing a pivotal role at a good club rather than be a bench guy for a major team. It's his last 2-3 years at his physical peak and he's never really had a proper consistent role with his team.

Gator Nate

They way he's currently playing at West Ham, you'd think he's good enough for a backup to Bruno. But the way he played here, he was nowhere near an adequate backup for Bruno.
Even I would argue that he's good enough for a backup to Bruno. But as a professional footballer who's starting every match for fourth place West Ham, why would he want to move (back) to a team where he knows he'll only ever be the backup?

USREDEVIL

We have almost won the lottery with his form. We need to cash that check asap.
It's like having some random stock suddenly shoot up. Are you going to cash out before that stock goes back to where it belongs? Or are you gonna be naive and greedy, hold on to it and and try to squeeze some more profit out?

Chairman Steve

I would cash the feck in this summer and hope this honeymoon/purple period lasts until the end of the season and West Ham finish in European positions to get that price as high as possible.

mu4c_20le

We have almost won the lottery with his form. We need to cash that check asap.
It's like having some random stock suddenly shoot up. Are you going to cash out before that stock goes back to where it belongs? Or are you gonna be naive and greedy, hold on to it and and try to squeeze some more profit out?
More like the stock is trying to reach the moon but the SEC keeps halting trading to keep the price capped.

cyril C

This. Elite level strikers are few and far between, if we don’t get Haaland who are we realistically going after that will improve our attack?

We should put everything into going after Haaland and if he turns us down then grab Sancho for the wing with a backup option at Striker instead of Haaland. OR go all in on Kane but Levy and Kane’s injuries mean I can’t be arsed with that saga really.
Why would he agree to be a backup when he can start for the hammers?
Money. If I remember correctly, Lingard is on 85K reaching 100K if CL qualified. Will West Ham match his aspiration? Noble is currently on 50K and I bet no-one else in West Ham have anything close to 80K. So he will have to take a pay cut in order to fit into the squad, even as the highest paid member.

Mr Smith

The thing is, we have seen this kind of form from Jesse before. Remember 17/18, when he scored screamers every week for about 2 months? We know it doesnt last. He'll have periods of good form and then drop off. We're just very lucky he's found all his form right when we loaned him out and are looking to sell. Cash in now and see if we can get Rice in the deal.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I hope West Ham know the difference between tourism and immigration. Just saying.

red4ever 79

Even I would argue that he's good enough for a backup to Bruno. But as a professional footballer who's starting every match for fourth place West Ham, why would he want to move (back) to a team where he knows he'll only ever be the backup?
Exactly this. People cant seem to get into their heads that footballers perform better when they play consistently, plus they probably want to play every game. Had the same conversation about Garner yesterday, a poster thought it would be better for him to come back and assume the Matic role, being in the squad sometimes, whearas surely the player benefits more from another loan deal if Ole is not going to start him (unlikley)

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We should cash in on him now or live to regret it, if we can get 30m from any buying club, that would go down as the best piece of deal we've done in a while knowing is contract with us only last a year now, there's no need bring him back.

Red Comet

Better than james.
Better than this version of martial
Better than old man mata
Better than overplayed/playing thru injury rashford
Better than dvdb

How can people not see he has a place in our squad?

Youre prob among the same fans who said lukakku wasnt good enough and wanted pogba to leave. You probably turning on ddg too.
No doubt Lingard is having the form of his life at West Ham. It's very simple actually. Teams don't set out to defend deep against West Ham. Just look at the how Leicester and Wolves and the goals scored by Lingard during those games. He's great when given that much space to operate in. As opposed to us - teams know how devastating we can be on the counter and thus is a lot more cautious and defend deep when playing us. Lingard is not good at unlocking defences, we've seen that again and again.

Now that his stock is at all time high, we should really cash in and move on.

SAF is the GOAT

I'll say just this :

9 great games won't change years of a constant bad form.

I wish him good luck in WH but tbh that's his level.

justsomebloke

The thing is, we have seen this kind of form from Jesse before. Remember 17/18, when he scored screamers every week for about 2 months? We know it doesnt last. He'll have periods of good form and then drop off. We're just very lucky he's found all his form right when we loaned him out and are looking to sell. Cash in now and see if we can get Rice in the deal.
I certainly would not mind that!