Lingard to join West Ham on loan

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't really see any upside to this, he's hardly going to 'develop' there, he has a short contract so any resale value will be limited, West Ham are doing well and could end up rivialing us for a top 4 spot, and we could still yet have needed him this season, even more so given the the EL is about to start again.

If he was going abroad with an obligation to buy then maybe at a stretch, but to a rival, for £1.5 million and a bit in wages, then I'd rather he was still here.
He plays badly, we earnt 1.5mm + his wages for a player that wouldn't play anyway.

He plays well? we potentially sell him for 10m+ which is something we'd never get right now. It's a win win to be honest.

UmbroDays

Really hope he does well. I live a 5 min walk from the London stadium so I’ll be giving him some extra support.

Acole9

Outstanding
Ole saying hes going there to build his confidence so he can come back and play for Utd. Bullshit or real?

“We want Jesse to come back here revitalised and having shown at West Ham how good a player he is, of course,” the United boss said of Lingard, whose contract was recently extended until 2022.
“He’s just been unfortunate with a couple of issues — some periods that he had to stay away from us with the Covid and isolation, with the close contact.The rest of the team has done well. We’ve had little to no injuries and he’s not forced his way into the team, unfortunately.
I just want him to go there and enjoy himself, show how good a player he is and come back. He a Man United player through and through.”
I'm sure he said something fairly similar when Smalling went on loan to Roma. I think he has a soft spot for him because he worked with him in the reserves and just wants to be respectful I guess.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Looks like he's bulked up a bit. He'll find far more space to attack with that West Ham side, and his movement and energy will be really useful for Moyes. For a change he won't have the pressure to score or assist playing in the hole or on the wings - let's see if that lets him express himself. He does have moments of quality in him when he's not making runs to hide behind opposition defenders. Hope he does well and they sign him in the summer.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Looks like he's bulked up a bit. He'll find far more space to attack with that West Ham side, and his movement and energy will be really useful for Moyes. For a change he won't have the pressure to score or assist playing in the hole or on the wings - let's see if that lets him express himself. He does have moments of quality in him when he's not making runs to hide behind opposition defenders. Hope he does well and they sign him in the summer.
Hes a good player and will do well. Received ridiculous levels or abuse on here.

RedDevilzFox

Hes a good player and will do well. Received ridiculous levels or abuse on here.
I have no idea what rationale people use to make statements like this. By any metric he has been rubbish for United, barring a handful of performances. And this is a 28 year old we're talking about.

AgentSmith

Good luck to him, hopefully he can rediscover some form to get his career back on track / secure us a decent transfer fee in the summer.

The second part is the main basis for Ole’s comments I believe. Extended the contract and stating publicly that we want him back are just part of the song and dance that goes on with transfers.

I actually think he’ll suit that West Ham system if he’s slotting straight in as the no.10 behind Antonio with two more creative players either side of him in Bowen and Benrahma.

Moyes has built a really solid team all over the pitch.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No hatred or anger at all, he made the most of his career at United, but the fact he is still here at 28 is crazy and shows you how far the standards have dropped since Ferguson.

Players of that level in the team every week was a real low point and I’m hoping this is yet another sign of progress made.

I wish him all the very best for the rest of his career and hope he plays himself into a good move and a great salary in the summer.

Cecc07

Great news. I can't think of a more frustrating and awful player who played so much games for United. I will celebrate a little now and much more when he moves permanently.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ole saying hes going there to build his confidence so he can come back and play for Utd. Bullshit or real?
Bullshit, essentially.

If Lingard were in Ole's future plans, he wouldn't have been shipped out on loan.

He's had his chance - and he's failed to grab it.

If West Ham aren't interested in a permanent deal, United will look for other buyers (or others interested in a loan, at worst). If Lingard plays another minute for United I'll be very surprised.

stevoc

It's an incredibly weird comparison anyways. They play different positions, different skillsets, totally different players so why even pick Fred to pick on? Might as well compare and think we should sell McTominay instead of Lingard because he has scored less goals or something.

Freds quality on the ball is superior to Lingard in a deeper midfield role, and probably not that far off if they switched positions. I think Fred would be better as a 10 than Lingard would be as a 6. Fred is a better workhorse 6 than Lingard is as a workhorse 10 or 8.
Because it's ok to shit on any United player, just don't dare talk shit about our Jesse. He's local you know.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Because it's ok to shit on any United player, just don't dare talk shit about our Jesse. He's local you know.
To me it's not very complicated just get him away from the club as he isn't good enough. That is why he isn't playing because he sucked last season. I really don't get why there is even a discussion to be had about that. It's super weird.

stevoc

To me it's not very complicated just get him away from the club as he isn't good enough. That is why he isn't playing because he sucked last season. I really don't get why there is even a discussion to be had about that. It's super weird.
Not just last season mate.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not just last season mate.
Well even if I tend to agree, last season was the last chance and he was worse than ever before. He couldn't deal with the pressure from Ole of stepping up into being a United regular and he fell through heavily. I have hopes he can get his career back on track at West Ham, so that he can be sold.

stevoc

He was never amazing but he was decent enough for a squad player before that. It was only the first half of last season that he was truly rubbish, and then he got dropped once we bought in Bruno and basically hasn't played in the 12 months since.
Let's be honest he was awful for most of the 18/19 season as well.

He hasn't been a decent option since 16/17 except when he had that purple patch in late 2017 where he was actually good. But its been a sharp decline since then. Over 3 years now of mediocrity.

And for much of the last 2 seasons mediocre performances would have been an improvement on what he has been producing in some matches. There were games where he genuinely looked like he'd never played at the top level before. Which is why I assume solskjaer stopped even considering him good enough for the bench.

el3mel

Really weird. He has been terrible for most of his time here but his goals gallery for us has some stunning strikes. Anyone watching this video without actually watching full matches for him will want his club to sign this lad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Very happy for him. Hope he keeps it up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Delighted for him. Not sure if he'll come back with a squad player role or if he'll just as a starter at West Ham (best idea for him imo), but I hope he has a great season there.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Here he is destroying Grealish too