Lingard to join West Ham on loan

youngrell

Tend to agree the club could certainly have been more savvy and ruthless with the loan system and players who have not been good enough for us. Even if we pay their wages still, to put the min the shop window is a much better way to get a permanent move for them.

One thing I will say though, is that the club pride themselves in looking after our players. I don't think it's been part of our makeup to just use players as commodities like some clubs do, so this has likely played a part in some of our business in the loan market.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I wish him well. I'm surprised no one mentioned both goals were pretty lucky as the keeper got a hand on each.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I wish him well. I'm surprised no one mentioned both goals were pretty lucky as the keeper got a hand on each.
True. He really played well though, was a threat throughout and linked up really well with the other attackers. Also the first goal was well controlled and hit, tough to keep out. The keeper should have stopped the second. It was a good match actually, two decent teams.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Nah, I thought they were well taken. Powerful, dipping shots that Martinez couldn't do much about even though he got a bit of his hand to them.

NotThatSoph

The first goal was very, very good I thought, both controlling the ball with his chest and the finish. The second one maybe their keeper could have done better, but he took his shot very quick which always makes it harder to save.

AgentSmith

Nah, I thought they were well taken. Powerful, dipping shots that Martinez couldn't do much about even though he got a bit of his hand to them.
The first one Martinez should probably do better with. Plus the touch he gets on it definitely ends up lifting it over McGinn sliding in on the line. The second one should be a save every single time.

Still a fantastic performance given Lingard’s inactivity this season. West Ham’s style of play with that front 3, backed up by Rice and Soucek, seems the perfect set up for him.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Would be a truly negative and daft thing to concentrate on wouldn't it? His overall influence even if he hadn't scored was great.
I only saw the highlights so I can't comment on his performance for the whole match.

Lentwood

Makes you wonder - why did we hold onto Lingard until now? We started without Mata, Van de Beek and Pogba on Tuesday and he would still have been nowhere near it.

He could have been loaned in Summer, already have five goals and assists and we could have made it permanent for £20m in January

We’re making progress off the pitch but we’re still learning

stevoc

Makes you wonder - why did we hold onto Lingard until now? We started without Mata, Van de Beek and Pogba on Tuesday and he would still have been nowhere near it.

He could have been loaned in Summer, already have five goals and assists and we could have made it permanent for £20m in January

We’re making progress off the pitch but we’re still learning
Maybe no one wanted him then, maybe he didn't want to leave the North-West in the summer but has changed his mind now.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Please god no. Hopefully he does well and we can get a decent fee for him but we shouldnt be bringing him back

Knowing us we will probably give him a massive new contract adter he has a few good games for west ham
Why would we not keep him? He was very good for us until last season.. hes home grown also. He a great player to have if he can get back into form

AgentSmith

Maybe no one wanted him then, maybe he didn't want to leave the North-West in the summer but has changed his mind now.
That’s one of the major reasons I like Smalling so much.

As soon as it became clear to him he wasn’t going to be first choice (e.g. after we signed Maguire and Ole made him and Lindelof the starting pair) he pushed for a move to be a starter elsewhere.

And he didn’t take an easy option - moved himself and his family to a new country with a new culture and language in a completely different league.

Compare that to Jones, Rojo, Romero etc. who are seemingly content watching from the stands while collecting a cheque to do so.

Eternitiy

Because Jesse is in his prime and needs to play every week, not good enough for us.

Mata is over the hill and can teach our players something, a good experienced player in the dressing room.

James is young and deserves the opportunity to prove he can make it at United.
Fair points, but I really don't think James has the quality required, sorry to say.

If James is selected, it's usually in games in which we'll play on the counter, I think Lingard offers more in those sorts of games.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
More of this and many clubs will want him in the next transfer window :)
we might actually get a solid fee for him. I feel like we haven’t used the loan system very well over the last few years but I also understand there’s always an element of chance to how these things turn out. Fair play to Moyes for taking the chance. He’s got them playing very well.

RedDevil@84

Woodward in summer 2021: We are delighted to announce the contract extension.......

bsCallout

Fair points, but I really don't think James has the quality required, sorry to say.

If James is selected, it's usually in games in which we'll play on the counter, I think Lingard offers more in those sorts of games.
I agree but James is young enough to deserve the opportunity and the chance to improve. We gave Lingard plenty of time and opportunities.

Matt851

Why would we not keep him? He was very good for us until last season.. hes home grown also. He a great player to have if he can get back into form
He wasnt very good for us until last season, even if he was thats 1.5 seasons of not doing anything. He has always been a streaky player who has decent runs of form followed by long periods of nothing. Frankly he isnt good enough for us, even as a squad player and would be best served playing regularly somewhere else at this stage in his career. I wish him all the best but there is no way we would keep him

hobbers

Because he's obviously not good enough for a club that has any sort of ambition to win titles. Neither as a starter or as a squad player. And he's proven this beyond doubt with his performances and lack of output over many seasons, not just the last two where he's been especially awful, but including those under LVG and Mourinho where he got a lot of game time.

In his United career in Premier League games he's scored or assisted once every 250 minutes..... no bloody wonder we haven't got anywhere near the top of the table in seasons where he's been featuring regularly.

van Nistelrooy

Keeper should have had both of them.

The second especially was a howler and a stroke of good fortune for Lingard.

RashyForPM

Nobody is paying 25 m for Lingard he is not a youngster and he would be in his last year of contract as well we would do well to get even 15m for him and you are living in fantasy land if you believe Pereira or Chong would fetch anywhere near 20m combined .Williams might go for in and around 10 m if we are lucky.
This undervaluing of players by both fans and directors are why we always get screwed for low fees. Is Solanke a £17m player? No! Chelsea also always do other teams over when selling players. I’m definitely not living in fantasy land because players far worse than the likes of Chong and Pereira have gone for more than £10m. I mean, Schneiderlin went for £25m to Everton. As for Williams, I’m starting to think £10m was too little as well. Guy is a mid-table level LB/RB as he showed last season and is English. Saints were desperate for him in January.

Raveneye

As I said before his debut, I really don't like this loan. How does Ole see Mata and James as better options than Lingard? Inexplicable, something must have happened behind the scenes for Lingard to have been frozen out. We all know Lingard isn't a perfect player, but he offers clever link up play, movement, and versatility. Mata is simply pointless at this phase of his career, no idea how he's still at the club, and James is just not United quality, never was, never will be.
In addition to what everyone else said, Juan Mata's contract runs out in the summer. There's no point loaning out someone of his experience and quality for 6 months just to lose him entirely. Better to keep him around the younger players and let them see how what a consummate professional who knows what it's like at the top can teach them.

stevoc

This undervaluing of players by both fans and directors are why we always get screwed for low fees. Is Solanke a £17m player? No! Chelsea also always do other teams over when selling players. I’m definitely not living in fantasy land because players far worse than the likes of Chong and Pereira have gone for more than £10m. I mean, Schneiderlin went for £25m to Everton. As for Williams, I’m starting to think £10m was too little as well. Guy is a mid-table level LB/RB as he showed last season and is English. Saints were desperate for him in January.
We didn't sell him though so where are you getting this fee from?

Also what age was Solanke when he moved 21?

stevoc

I’m talking about my prior valuation for him.
Fair enough, personally i'd be delighted and surprised in equal measure if we get more than £10-15m for Lingard.

Solanke was 22.
Not that it matters but Wiki says he was 21 at the time he moved to Bournemouth from Liverpool. But 21/22 doesn't really alter the point i was getting at, at that age you are buying potential. At Lingards age clubs know what they're getting.

C'est Moi Cantona

Always liked Lingard, always thought he was an easy target, and always thought he was underated, and said so on here many times, so I'm very happy he's started so well at West Ham, just as long as West Ham stay at arms length for top 4 then long may it continue,

RashyForPM

Fair enough, personally i'd be delighted and surprised in equal measure if we get more than £10-15m for Lingard.

Not that it matters but Wiki says he was 21 at the time he moved to Bournemouth from Liverpool. But 21/22 doesn't really alter the point i was getting at, at that age you are buying potential. At Lingards age clubs know what they're getting.
The thing is, with Lingard, everyone knows he is a good player. Everyone. Yesterday, 2017-18, good patch in 2015-16, 2018 World Cup - proof is in the pudding. Yes, he is 28, but for a player like him who has bounds of stamina and intelligence, he can carry on into his 30s, albeit clubs may not think about that. Maybe not £25m as I said just now because he only has a year left on his contract, but if he fires West Ham into Europe, which he certainly is capable of, £20m is more than feasible imo.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
we might actually get a solid fee for him. I feel like we haven’t used the loan system very well over the last few years but I also understand there’s always an element of chance to how these things turn out. Fair play to Moyes for taking the chance. He’s got them playing very well.
West Ham play a little more direct than us, not long balls as such, but they stick the ball into channels for Antonio to get onto, and support quick from midfield. We tend to play the ball into feet most of the time, and then lay the ball back to the deeper midfield players or CB's. I wish that we would take a chance sometimes, and play a quick ball into the channels, just to get the opponents defence wondering what we are going to do next.
West Ham's play suits Jesse a lot more than United's, he would make a forward run with United but not get the ball, only to his feet, which is not his strength.

Ali Dia

West Ham play a little more direct than us, not long balls as such, but they stick the ball into channels for Antonio to get onto, and support quick from midfield. We tend to play the ball into feet most of the time, and then lay the ball back to the deeper midfield players or CB's. I wish that we would take a chance sometimes, and play a quick ball into the channels, just to get the opponents defence wondering what we are going to do next.
West Ham's play suits Jesse a lot more than United's, he would make a forward run with United but not get the ball, only to his feet, which is not his strength.
that’s a problem I have with us when we play with Pogba and Bruno. We are often too direct but also too slow and frustration inevitably builds as moves break down. Neither is exactly an effective defender after they lose it either. Pogbas long ball from midfield or cross from the right into the box isn’t effective as martial Greenwood and Rashford aren’t the kind of player to fight to get on the end of a scrappy cross and Bruno I think would like it to feet won as high up the pitch as possible. We give the opposition way too much time to get dug in.

croadyman

Yeah a few more goals and that might become a real possibility with a goal at The Etihad thrown in there hopefully

stevoc

The thing is, with Lingard, everyone knows he is a good player. Everyone. Yesterday, good patch in 2017-18, good patch in 2015-16, 2018 World Cup - proof is in the pudding. Yes, he is 28, but for a player like him who has bounds of stamina and intelligence, he can carry on into his 30s, albeit clubs may not think about that. Maybe not £25m as I said just now because he only has a year left on his contract, but if he fires West Ham into Europe, which he certainly is capable of, £20m is more than feasible imo.
Yeah those patches of his were great.

Yeah probably not £25m. If i had to put £20 quid on it i would say we might get £10m-£15m at a push. £20m for a player like Lingard in this climate, at his age with only a year left on his contract would be one of the deals of the century. Hope you are right.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

if this loan spell goes well he holds all the cards. If we are asking for too much this summer he will just sit tight. Our hand will be forced to sell on the cheap or let him go for free the following summer. I hope we don’t end up offering him a new deal. His wages are too big now for a squad player and he should be a regular somewhere at this stage in his career.

Redlyn

Lingard memes are a riot in the match hightlights video.

“I am a Lion, but Jesse... Jesse is a lion-eater” Zlatan

" When i went to moon, Lingard was already dancing over there " -Neil Armstrong

“I have few regrets, but one is that the boy is not German” Franz Beckenbauer

"I thought I have seen it all,until I saw Jesse Lingard play" -Peter Drury

"Sometimes i dream about winning the Lingard award" - Puskas

I'm happy for him.

Giggs86

Glad to see our young promising prospect doing well on loan. Can't wait until he gains some experience under his belt and comes back to light this place on fire.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
£10m could be a realistic fee.

Anustart89

£10m could be a realistic fee.
Agreed. It would mean £15m for the club though since his last year of contract would cost £5m in wages, so we should take an offer around £10m if anyone is willing to pay this summer.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So pleased for him because it’s been obvious for a while he needs to move as he wasn’t good enough for United.

I think he’s at the perfect team with the perfect manager for him and it’s nice to see him happy on the pitch and playing well.