Lingard to join West Ham on loan

OleBoiii

This is incredible. Lingard and Moyes combining to knock out everyone from the CL spots. Who would have thought that 1 year ago :lol: :lol: :lol:
Imagine if we get a CL without Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham! :eek: Just throw City down there, and it's a dream come true.

Sara125

Not watching the match as I have work to crack on with but good for him! He is really showing his naysayers (I was one of them :nervous:)

Jev

Unless someone is willing to pay 50 million for him, we should give him another chance. You don't sell the most in-form player in the Premier League for 30 million.

He deserves another chance to be honest. Clearly has it in him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I saw Michael Caulfield explain the situation with players and how a lot of managers and clubs don't understand psychology.
I am not sure if United has one but could now understand why talented players fall off.
Players like Martial, Lingard, Greenwood are talented players and if they don't perform to their capabilities for a long time then something else is wrong.
The club has a bit of a toxic smog around it. Ole is/has done well to remove a big part of that, but the atmosphere will always be pretty volatile. Manchester United’s club expectations + fans + neutral fans + the media/pundits constantly on your back = a very difficult time where every mistake you made is magnified to the nth degree, whilst anything positive you do is expected.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For context: prior to this gameweek Lingard was overperforming his xG to a greater extent than Lionel Messi. And now he's scored again.

That tells us two things: 1) He's doing very well. 2) It would be very stupid to change your mind on him based on this brief, insanely unsustainable period of form.

Great for us if we want to cash in on him shortly. Bad for us if we use it as a basis for bringing him back to the club.
Re 2) If you consider this run of form in isolation he’s the best/most productive player in the league, bar none. Literally nobody has been as prolific as he has been for West Ham. He’s out-performing Kane, Bruno, De Bruyne, Salah. Everyone.

Nobody seriously thinks he’s that good, though. So I’m not sure there’s any need to drag xG into the discussion. We all know this is unsustainable. He is playing very very well though. His all round performances have been excellent for close to a third of a season. For which he deserved all the praise he is getting and has given Ole a tough decision to make.

Real Name

It's a win win situation. Either we well him and his pice has risen nicely or we give him another chance.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doesn’t mean he can’t improve, but as of today no one can argue he has been anything but a flop for us.
He's hardly played though... Personally, I'd hold off on those conclusions you're coming to.

Redlyn

Never thought I’d say this but maybe we give him another chance? In covid times tight budget and with VDB being a total flop we need a back up for Bruno.
Imagine having a half season like this and going back to man utd dungeon to barely ever see the light again. If I am him I'm not renewing.

Castia

Unless someone is willing to pay 50 million for him, we should give him another chance. You don't sell the most in-form player in the Premier League for 30 million.

He deserves another chance to be honest. Clearly has it in him.

Or we don't take the money and his value completely plummets because he can't get a game ahead of Bruno and he's got 1 year on his contract.

30m is a good price for Jesse. 40m + Lingard for Rice is even better.

slored1

What happens if Moysie knocks United off?
Hats off to him if he does that. Would mean that West Ham finishes on 75 points or so, which would easily be the most impressive achievement the Premier League since Leicester in 2016.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
For context: prior to this gameweek Lingard was overperforming his xG to a greater extent than Lionel Messi. And now he's scored again.

That tells us two things: 1) He's doing very well. 2) It would be very stupid to change your mind on him based on this brief, insanely unsustainable period of form.

Great for us if we want to cash in on him shortly. Bad for us if we use it as a basis for bringing him back to the club.
His non-penalty xG + xA per 90 will be comfortably ahead of Bruno in the league after today, unless Bruno does something wild against Spurs. Smaller sample size than Bruno of course, but Lingard has great underlying numbers too.

No Love

Will it make you think twice about tearing other players apart regularly?
Should it? Or does my post not suggest I’m impartial and willing to both criticise and praise players when I feel it is warranted?

El Zoido

Remember when clowns on here said he was championship level :lol:
To be fair he put in some truly chronic performances for us. Teams play different against West Ham than against us, but fair play to him. Always quite liked the guy, and he’s scored some terrific goals in his career. Any player that scores a cup final winner for us should have a place in our hearts.

city-puma

So pleased for him. His career has not been always smooth. Spent so many years on loan in early stages, established in our first team, got personal/family distraction, and now found his form back.
Any player needs to be played in a right setup to bring the most out.

Eriku

The club has a bit of a toxic smog around it. Ole is/has done well to remove a big part of that, but the atmosphere will always be pretty volatile. Manchester United’s club expectations + fans + neutral fans + the media/pundits constantly on your back = a very difficult time where every mistake you made is magnified to the nth degree, whilst anything positive you do is expected.
Agreed. Not everybody is cut out for the pressure that comes with a club like this. Worse still, we can experience lasting turmoil and be significantly weakened, and we’ll still have the same expectations surround us.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Imagine if we get a CL without Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham! :eek: Just throw City down there, and it's a dream come true.
Today just makes it even more likely that we get the same top 4 as last season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The fundamental issue is, can Jesse produce this level of form at United? I have my doubts. He’s 28 now, so – given the choice between being an also ran at United or being the main man at West Ham...

I think this is one of those rare scenarios where a permanent move would suit all parties involved very well, even more so for United if we can use Lingard as leverage for Rice, someone who should be a pressing need.

hungrywing

Seems like everything goes through him in that West Ham team. One of the reasons Fernandes has been very good for us, and one of the reasons Lingard has been every inch as good as him if not much better since he left us for West Ham.
Yes, this is likely a big part of it in addition to the 'no parked buses' aspect. He's higher in the 'pecking order' there and has his choice of shots/actions. Here, he was way down the order and it affected his decisions.

He's doing well, but it's probably premature to say we should value him to a greater extent than Messi.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The fundamental issue is, can Jesse produce this level of form at United? I have my doubts. He’s 28 now, so – given the choice between being an also ran at United or being the main man at West Ham...

I think this is one of those rare scenarios where a permanent move would suit all parties involved very well, even more so for United if we can use Lingard as leverage for Rice, someone who should be a pressing need.
Agreed.

OleBoiii

I know that he's in the form of his life, but he's had a few 2-3 month spells where he's been really good for United as well. It's a bit unfair to act as if he was always useless and suddenly turned into Messi.

Consistency, mental health, wanting more playtime, and the fact that Bruno is much better, is what lead to us loaning him out. It was always the right choice for all parties. Stop trying to sour a story that is supposed to be of the happy sort! Just be happy for Jesse and move on.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
More open space + fewer expectations + less pressure = lingard on fire

Clearly its a psychological with him. I bet martial would be smashing in goals as well with the likes of west ham since he's also an emotional type of player.

Red Stone

People on here pretending like he wasn't the worst player on the pitch more often than not in his last couple of seasons here because he's suddenly playing well again. He's doing well now, but he hit similarly unplayable levels of form for us too, quickly descended into the dumps again and stayed there for long enough to be lambasted by fans, benched and subsequently (and finally) loaned out.

If he adds a few million to his price tag by crushing it for West Ham that's all well and good for us, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that he's suddenly some perennial world-beater fit to start for a team aiming for the title. Every player has purple patches. Lingard's are purpler than most, but also few and far between.

Oranges038

Nice to see him finally playing well again and looking like he's enjoying his football.

But let's not forget how truly awful he was for the most part. No way would I take him back based off a few of decent months at West Ham. Should be looking to cash in on his form and get rid altogether. Perhaps West Ham might want him permanently.

chiz2kul

Folks saying "wEsT hAm LeVeL" are clearly delusional. Its quite curious that players leave United and then are able to excel to their full potential. Speaks to coaching and confidence - or lack thereof - provided. I remember the level of vitriol and insults he received during his poor run of form, even here on this forum. So happy for him and he absolutely deserves to stay at West Ham.

zedian

Re 2) If you consider this run of form in isolation he’s the best/most productive player in the league, bar none. Literally nobody has been as prolific as he has been for West Ham. He’s out-performing Kane, Bruno, De Bruyne, Salah. Everyone.

Nobody seriously thinks he’s that good, though. So I’m not sure there’s any need to drag xG into the discussion. We all know this is unsustainable. He is playing very very well though. His all round performances have been excellent for close to a third of a season. For which he deserved all the praise he is getting and has given Ole a tough decision to make.
Player goes to play for a manager who believes in him, knows where to play him in a team performing really well. None of this applied at United. The Not surprised he's doing well for the Hammers.

RedDevilRoshi

He’s made just as huge a impact at West Ham as Bruno Fernandes made when he arrived here last year. Absolutely delighted for him!

Based on his current form since joining West Ham, anything under £40M is gonna be an absolute steal if we were looking to sell him this summer. He’s been the in form player in the league since January.