Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

bakalhau

This is one of those rare 'WOW' moments for me. Can't believe this day has come. A monumental feck up by Barcelona, incredible a player like this doesn't retire in Barcelona despite him and the club wanting that to happen. He is going completely free of charge too, zero euros Barcelona will pocket out of his exit.

I have no words, but I'm excited to finally see Messi play somewhere else. I think he is very resistant to change, he's just been so happy living in Barcelona too, worst context possible having to change, not because he wants to, but because he's forced to.

Both parties lose in the short term. Let's see medium and long term.

Edit: reading some posts here yeah, I can agree this could all be a plan by Barcelona. While I'm still shocked at any rate, I think I'll only truly believe and wrap my around it when he finalizes a deal with someone else.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal
Without Messi Barcelona would ended the season without Copa del Rey and 10th in La Liga, the defense was horrid, he was the pichichi and the assist leader, what more do you want from him?
Remember when this was a commonly held view
for why it was ok for Barça to pay him 2 million a week, because without him they’d be a miles worse team :lol:
Meanwhile in Spain, they look likely now to better their league position from last season.

Looking forward to their end of year books soon and that 31% reduction in revenue :p

RedDevilMachine

for why it was ok for Barça to pay him 2 million a week, because without him they’d be a miles worse team :lol:
Meanwhile in Spain, they look likely now to better their league position from last season.

Looking forward to their end of year books soon and that 31% reduction in revenue :p
What are you talking about? The only reason why Barca is doing better now is because they finally have a competent manager.

Plus signing the likes of Ferran Torres and Aubameyang helps a lot
Was also always an option. One most of us said, save the money, get rid of the big earners and bring in a couple of smart signings. Apparently though without Messi, they’d be mid-table.

Gotta be glad as a Barça fan that Laporta wasn’t as daft as many on here. Done a cracking job.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Plus signing the likes of Ferran Torres and Aubameyang helps a lot
This pretty much, check the team compared to Koeman last game in charge.

Freeing the wages up by not renewing Messi allowed them to bring in fresh blood for the team.

Freeing the wages up by not renewing Messi allowed them to bring in fresh blood for the team.
Someone gets it.

The point is, they didn’t need to pay Messi 2m a week to be the 3rd best team in La Liga. They needed a better manager, and much fecking smarter upper management that understood that 2m a week for anyone is stark raving bonkers and doing way more harm to the club than good. I bumped this thread because it’s still unfathomable for me that we had posters arguing that Barça were right to pay him that.

They are in such better shape than one year ago, and a good Summer will put them right back amongst the best.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Was also always an option. One most of us said, save the money, get rid of the big earners and bring in a couple of smart signings. Apparently though without Messi, they’d be mid-table.

Gotta be glad as a Barça fan that Laporta wasn’t as daft as many on here. Done a cracking job.
They were on their way there under the last manager and they were dumped out of the champions league at the group stage.

Of course they might be turning a corner but they are still some way off being an elite club.

Of course they might be turning a corner but they are still some way off being an elite club.
As they were with Messi.

I reckon this Summer will put them back in a great position, they are looking better all the time and have been clever in the market again. Utterly ridiculous to put the pressure of 2 million a week for one player on the club.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They were trash under Koeman because everybody was injured tbf

Zen

Just think if they managed to get Auba for free instead of paying like, what, £20m on Braithwaite for Messi to line up.

Barcelona 2021-22 is arguably one of the bentest things in the history of sport to me.

jm99

How do all the people who said that Messi brought in 30% of revenue and sponsorship was dependent on him and him alone, explain the Spotify deal they signed which was the biggest ever I think. I mean obviously having someone like Messi will attract sponsors but my feeling is that Barcelona is a huge club and they're not going to have 30% of their revenue because of one player and making those claims is just fanboying

RedDevil@84

How do all the people who said that Messi brought in 30% of revenue and sponsorship was dependent on him and him alone, explain the Spotify deal they signed which was the biggest ever I think. I mean obviously having someone like Messi will attract sponsors but my feeling is that Barcelona is a huge club and they're not going to have 30% of their revenue because of one player and making those claims is just fanboying
Lot of it is because there has always been this nonsensical notion that Messi is some epitome of righteousness. Apart from his obvious talent, he was someone who was a very good boy, who does only good things, looks out for the club over himself. Like Blatter said "A nice boy you could take home". Not to say that he was an a*hole. But the thought that he could be a normal footballer who wants to make max money for himself, because he could, even if it meant draining the club financially, seemed unacceptable. So the need to come with things like he is responsible for 30% of revenue.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

That part was the biggest bs, apparently Barcelona and the whole La Liga was going to go bankrupt as soon as he left and PSG was going to recoup all his salary on shirt sales alone.

nomdeplume1325

Someone gets it.

The point is, they didn’t need to pay Messi 2m a week to be the 3rd best team in La Liga. They needed a better manager, and much fecking smarter upper management that understood that 2m a week for anyone is stark raving bonkers and doing way more harm to the club than good. I bumped this thread because it’s still unfathomable for me that we had posters arguing that Barça were right to pay him that.

They are in such better shape than one year ago, and a good Summer will put them right back amongst the best.
For £2m per week (if that is accurate) they could have had the 5 highest paid players in the premises league (excepting Ronaldo). Messi was a generational talent, possibly a once in a lifetime sort, but at the end that contract did FC Barcelona more harm than good.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Now I'm angry the didn't continue paying him to stay :mad: