Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
From what I can gather both parts are responsible as some people think Messi is blameless in collecting all that money from that contract he was offered. Of course they were negotiations and an agreement happened when the club was able to match Messi's demands so he also has been an active factor in all of this. The institution holds more responsibility in handling their finances like that, specially when it comes to players that aren't half as good as Messi and also collecting enormous wages but it's silly to state that Messi's camp has nothing to do in his contract being what it is.

Is questionable if he's worth it that much specially when it cripples the ability of the club to sign other players but this still has been very petty from Barcelona to leak it and throw him under the bus like that. I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish with this as it makes everyone involved look bad.
Oh don’t even get me started on Barca’s obnoxious decision making in this ordeal but my post was themed around Messi being a money greedy player end of the day. Players make sacrifices to remain a one club player. This man showed no patriotism in demanding such sums.

I almost think Neymar got Messi even more greedy with his last contract renewal as Messi must’ve thought he deserves way more than whatever Neymar got offered at PSG.

As for barca leaking the contract, not sure where you got that info from? I don’t think it’s Barca leaking it. I think it must be an employed associate either at his lawyers firm or someone working at La Liga. There were only 4 contracts printed. Messi had one, barca one, La Liga one & Messi’s lawyers Firm.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I summed it up but I don’t want to get in trouble for posting it. Here’s a snippet though:

Barca received €71.6 million from “normal” ticket sales for games, which was up 17.6 per cent on the previous year, when visitor numbers to the Catalan capital were affected by a terrorist attack in August 2017. They also took in €22 million from VIP and hospitality, a rise of 16 per cent on 2017-18, with Barca themselves claiming that more than 250 companies brought over 35,000 guests to the stadium to see games. Each “normal” year, they sell 900,000 tickets for games and 15,000 VIP packages.

This combined €93.6 million from match days is much higher than the €60.88 million which Barca took in from their club socios in 2018-19, of which just over €40 million was for season tickets. Overall, it means that the 900,000 one-off visitors who bought a ticket for just one game are more valuable to Barca financially than their 110,000 socio members, who are very unlikely to buy a new shirt every time they visit the stadium.

Maybe not that many socios would decide against renewing were Messi to leave but how many of the day-trippers making a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage might decide to change their destination should their favourite player now be performing elsewhere?
Always said as a football fan that the only downside I've had as a Man Utd fan is that i've missed out on watching Messi regularly at Barcalona too often. I think it would a cherished memory for anyone to say they watched him at Camp Nou at least once in their life time. I'm sure there are tons of non-barca fans who have made the pilgrimage just to see him and bought a shirt with his name on it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Oh don’t even get me started on Barca’s obnoxious decision making in this ordeal but my post was themed around Messi being a money greedy player end of the day. Players make sacrifices to remain a one club player. This man showed no patriotism in demanding such sums.

I almost think Neymar got Messi even more greedy with his last contract renewal as Messi must’ve thought he deserves way more than whatever Neymar got offered at PSG.

As for barca leaking the contract, not sure where you got that info from? I don’t think it’s Barca leaking it. I think it must be an employed associate either at his lawyers firm or someone working at La Liga. There were only 4 contracts printed. Messi had one, barca one, La Liga one & Messi’s lawyers Firm.
Worth mentioning that Messi claimed he could've earned more in his career had he switched clubs. According to him he decided against money at multiple contract renewals because he wanted to stay at Barca.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As for barca leaking the contract, not sure where you got that info from?
Well, there are some reports of him considering demanding people from the club who knew about his contract, the club also immediately released a statement saying they didn't leak it which is kind of funny and, personally, it leads me to believe it was in fact someone from the club. It's not a very smart decision but this are the same people that didn't let him leave when this summer already, it could also been someone from Messi's camp but that would be even weirder.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Always said as a football fan that the only downside I've had as a Man Utd fan is that i've missed out on watching Messi regularly at Barcalona too often. I think it would a cherished memory for anyone to say they watched him at Camp Nou at least once in their life time. I'm sure there are tons of non-barca fans who have made the pilgrimage just to see him and bought a shirt with his name on it.
I live in Canada but have flown across the pond to see him seven times in my life time and it was truly amazing. Like seeing Michael Jordan or something. It’s a weird aura and everytime he had the ball at his feet the entire stadium knew we’d have the potential to view something special. Saw Ronaldo in Italy as well and it was also very exciting.

What frustrates me in this thread is I’ve seen just about every single Barca match over the last ten years and to me there is no question he deserves it. We’ve had some amazing players obviously, but without Messi I’m not even sure we win the one in 2006 where he got injured as he was great before the injury, let alone winning anything since then of significance.

I still think people underrate how much he carried Barca in that 2019 season especially.

shahzy

He hates being painted as a villian, surely he'll be leaving Spain after this. We should sign him.
For that much money? Screw that. Even prime Messi isn't worth that. You could get 4 players and pay them 500,000 a week each or 8 at 200,000 which is 8 world class players (my maths could be off here I didn't fully read the numbers). Barca are straight up idiots for bending over this much

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Former disgruntled board member leaked it, from barto’s regime. Hence why the current board members blasted the leak.

It’s also why Messi is suing the person who leaked it and not the club.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
For that much money? Screw that. Even prime Messi isn't worth that. You could get 4 players and pay them 500,000 a week each or 8 at 200,000 which is 8 world class players (my maths could be off here I didn't fully read the numbers). Barca are straight up idiots for bending over this much
Dumb take. We use our other money on terrible contracts, Messi has absolutely been worth it. And if you read the athletic article I posted a page back they break down why his contract is definitely worth it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Will be enjoyable watching Barcelona drop down to their previous level before the Messi-doping era.

Josep Dowling

Once again, they were more or less fine before COVID hit. They are in so much trouble now because of a literal unpredictable world catastrophe

They won two titles and made a CL semifinal because of him. Almost entirely because of him

Their wage bill for the football section was €443M last season, and that including significant COVID-induced paycuts. In 18/19 was €501M. For a comparison, Real Madrid's was €362M in 18/19 and €378M in 19/20(again with a significant cut). In 18/19 barcelona would have had the highest wage bill in the world by a good €50/60M even if you excluded Messi's salary from the equation

The problem isn't how much they pay to the one player who actually earns it. It's how much they pay to everyone else...
True but have you thought given his salary, the other players will know how much he’s earning and demand more? It’s the same situation United ended up in after signing Sanchez. It doesn’t create good squad harmony when there is such disparity between player wages.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What interest would Messi have in leaking it? Lawyers could literally lose their jobs - permanently - over it, and la liga, again, what for?(for the record la liga is the one possible source el mundo denied)

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Barcelona before messi 1 champions league and a team know only because of the players they had wich didnt deliver much -Cruyff, Maradona, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho-
Barcelona with Messi 4 mor champions league and one of the most popular temams in the world

btw, Sport Magazine said that because of messi, Barcelona made, after paying his wages over one hundred millions euros a year

not only selling shirts, or selling the publicity, but also every summer game pays 50 percent less if messi is not playing

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/messi-genera-cuesta-11489183

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
19/20 accounts say ;

Revenue 855m
Expenses 955m
Op Profit -100m
Finl costs -28m
Net Loss -128m
Yes, 19/20 is the first COVID stricken season, when FFP was relaxed to help clubs deal with it. Otherwise this season's CL would have been Real Madrid, Atletico and noone else! :lol:

Teja

Does he make more with image rights, sponsorship deals etc? That's a pretty insane number, player wages will probably come down quite a bit assuming lower sponsorship $, matchday revenues etc

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It’s also why Messi is suing the person who leaked it and not the club.
Yeah he's suing the paper I think that leaked it and also some people from Bartomeu party who were aware of the contract, can't really blame him on that but the damage is done.

Monkey bus

It’s impossible to say that Messi’s contract is too big. Whose contract do you compare it too? What would it cost to buy another Messi? What were other clubs offering him at the time to force Barca to offer him those numbers?

Hasn’t he taken a 70% pay cut along with the other Barca players sine C19 anyway?

I’m looking forward to seeing the fallout though. Shambles of a club.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
In my personal opinion, that is way too much money for any athlete to make in just a span of 4 years. I mean Mahomes just signed a contract for almost half a billion but he’s supposed to make that sum over the course of 10 years, not 4. Huge difference!

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Messi fight with the club and demanded a contract of this much value? Apparently he refused previous offers for this last contract and demanded more?

Why does anyone need so much money to begin with? I hold him partially responsible for Barca’s troubles. For all his one club ambitions, it came at a huge price. Almost considered blackmail.

And I don’t believe he was worth this contract either. He’s not superhuman enough to have won them CLs during this contract and only managed 2 league titles. The club would’ve had a better chance of winning, a much much better chance, had they let him go and used the funds to build a new team for the next decade. Instead of being in shambles as they are now.

They make clubs like Arsenal look like a better type of downfall to suffer as a fan. At least the club isn’t almost bankrupt and not even able to pay players wages ffs.

I’d have imagined Barca might be bought out and have new owners but who in their right mind would even want to buy the club now? Also correct me if I’m wrong again but they’re half owned by their supporters which also makes that almost impossible too.

Edit: Going forward I’ll have a tough time looking at Messi and respect him. Behind that baby face, I see a cold money-driven athlete with little regard to this ‘one club’ ideology. All I see is just a pretentious human being with an innocent poker face.
who is mahomes?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
or without legs,

i would love to see what would have been of Ronaldo without exercising
Yes, that weird exercise thing that Ronaldo does and very few other players do. Definitely comparable with being prescribed human growth hormones as a teenager.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
1: It seems like Barcelona just threw their star player under a bus and then publicly denied it. Wow.
2: Whatever they choose to pay him is their problem. It isn't Messi's fault it's stratospheric.
3: How did City ever think they could get his signature? Offer him all the oil they pump for the next 50 years?
I'd fecking throw him under the bus as well given how much shit he's talked for the last 12 months. This will shred his legacy in alot of barca fans eyes.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'd fecking throw him under the bus as well given how much shit he's talked for the last 12 months. This will shred his legacy in alot of barca fans eyes.
And yet every Barca fan and the club themselves support him and rightfully so. He’s done so much for the club and we had the most toxic board in history. Messi hasn’t tarnished anything in the fan’s eyes at all.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Worth mentioning that Messi claimed he could've earned more in his career had he switched clubs. According to him he decided against money at multiple contract renewals because he wanted to stay at Barca.
:lol:
Well, there are some reports of him considering demanding people from the club who knew about his contract, the club also immediately released a statement saying they didn't leak it which is kind of funny and, personally, it leads me to believe it was in fact someone from the club. It's not a very smart decision but this are the same people that didn't let him leave when this summer already, it could also been someone from Messi's camp but that would be even weirder.
Well I’m not denying the fact that the club could’ve leaked it but them disclaiming any responsibility is just them playing safe. They couldn’t have denied that this isn’t his contract. So next best option is to accept yes that is his latest contract but they aren’t the ones to leak it. They want him to stay so they wouldn’t want any bad blood between the club and Messi. They also said they plan to sue the source of article leak so if it’s them that leaked it, it could backfire on them.
What interest would Messi have in leaking it? Lawyers could literally lose their jobs - permanently - over it, and la liga, again, what for?(for the record la liga is the one possible source el mundo denied)
I never said Messi would leak it. I just meant there are many people in all these organizations who must’ve seen the contract. My bet is on someone lower in the chain trying to make some money by leaking it. But again, I could be wrong. Just my guess.
who is mahomes?
American football player playing for Kansas City Chiefs.

Pocho

Cheap. He is the heart and soul of Barcelona, and the club earned tons of millons because of him.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
And yet every Barca fan and the club themselves support him and rightfully so. He’s done so much for the club and we had the most toxic board in history. Messi hasn’t tarnished anything in the fan’s eyes at all.
You're literally a billion in debt (and growing at a rapid rate), on the verge of bankruptcy, you're far from the best team in europe. You've sold your soul to the devil and you will pay for it in the long term massively. You should be livid because the return on that investment in the last 4 years has not been worth it.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
You're literally a billion in debt (and growing at a rapid rate), on the verge of bankruptcy, you're far from the best team in europe. You've sold your soul to the devil and you will pay for it in the long term massively. You should be livid because the return on that investment in the last 4 years has not been worth it.
do you have the numbers? or like most caftards you are just saying?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Please use English on the forum and try to avoid insulting everyone.
https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/messi-genera-cuesta-11489183

The club gets more than what they spend in Messi. When he leaves it will devastate not only the Club's economy but la Liga's too.
esta lleno de bobos este lugar, por eso deje de postear hace tanto

de vez en cuando vengo a pelearme un ratito

igual, aunque Bartomeu aparezca en televisión y en perfecto inglés les diga que Messi genera el doble de lo que cobra, a estos tipos no les interesa

NoPace

So seems like Barca were worth around 500 to 600M when Messi broke into the team and now they're valued at close to 4B. My question is what does that effectively mean? The club can't be sold I assume without a majority of voters approving it, which they wouldn't, so do they pay out dividends or just spend more on La Masia or wages and transfers?

But yeah, overall, if they've paid Messi half a billion and he's brought back say 1B in endorsement deals and such I'm not sure I see the problem, except that he should have, like any worker, been transparent about his wages, set a line for himself (say 3M a year to live comfortably and support his family and hire his team of chefs, trainers and advisers) and redistributed the rest down to fight the hellscape (income inequality, climate change, rising tide of fascism). But that's true of 99% percent of people who make over even 5K a week.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No surprise Barcelona are in financial trouble. I wonder what the boardroom guys were paying themselves?

It's hardly Messi's fault for being paid so much. This is on the decision-makers.
Agreed. The CEO/board is at fault for allowing Messi to be in a position to hold the club at ransom. Instead of reducing key man risk, they doubled down tied the future of the club to one person.

I fear the mismanagement of Barcelona will be a Netflix documentary one day.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
It kind of is actually. Barcelona work under a salary cap too
ah, the cap

what cap? as far as i know Barcelona can pay whatever they want to the player they want

in fact, that's exactly what they did in this case

so unless you tell me that messi put a gun on bartomeus head i don't see why messi is being accused