Lionel Messi Has No Intention Of Renewing Paris Saint Germain Contract - Reports

RedDevil@84

Firstly, Messi did not leave Barca for money. He was forced to leave because Barca could not keep him due to the financial rules in La Liga.
True. Messi left because Barca could no longer afford him.

jm99

Firstly, Messi did not leave Barca for money. He was forced to leave because Barca could not keep him due to the financial rules in La Liga.

Secondly, he was actually playing very very well before the world cup and was arguably their best player and still is although currently that has also to do with others around him being in poor form. PSG have alot of problems that a 35 year old Messi was never going to solve.
I've seen this said a lot, but I'm sure I remember reading that the rule about players can't take more than a certain amount of pay cut only applied to the segunda, and in la liga, if he'd wanted to, he could have played for free. I'm not one of those people who think he should have, but I'm pretty sure it was possible

Partridge

I believe the resigning of messi will help the club when they move stadiums temporarily. if i remember correctly, its a 56 thousand seater. I'd imagine the revenue loss could be mitigated slightly by ensuring the stadium is full, and messi would help with that..barca could build an emotional homecoming type scenario. We will see how they go after the meeting with la liga.

mshnsh

I've seen this said a lot, but I'm sure I remember reading that the rule about players can't take more than a certain amount of pay cut only applied to the segunda, and in la liga, if he'd wanted to, he could have played for free. I'm not one of those people who think he should have, but I'm pretty sure it was possible
Not allowed to play for free.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Bernardo to Barca. Messi to City.

I think Manchester in general is a good shout. If Messi bags an EPL, that’s 3 leagues conquered! I’m sure that would slot just underneath his World Cup winners medal….
Poor Messi signing for City in hope of collecting a PL medal without knowing it would be us lifting that next season.

jm99

Not allowed to play for free.
Yes again, I've seen this said, but I've also seen it said that this rule only applies to the segunda and not la liga, and tbh the people i see saying Messi couldn't play for free, aren't very objective when it comes to Messi. I did say though, I don't think he should have played for free, but obviously his fanboys like to claim he would have if it was possible

dinostar77

If Messi retires without playing professional football in argentina, would he be the first footballing "superstar" to have never played professional football in the top flight league in the country of his birth, excluding those with dual nationality options before they made their international debut?

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Yes again, I've seen this said, but I've also seen it said that this rule only applies to the segunda and not la liga, and tbh the people i see saying Messi couldn't play for free, aren't very objective when it comes to Messi. I did say though, I don't think he should have played for free, but obviously his fanboys like to claim he would have if it was possible
Those are two different things. The rule applies to the segunda devision and lower is about a certain percentage of your last salary. But LaLiga has also minimum wage (around €150.000/y). Technically Messi could play for the minimum wage, but neither will he do it understandably, nor has Barca asked him to.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Laporta is the reason, because he didn't sign Tebas' CVC deal. Tebas even said back in the days, that Messi could have stayed if Barca had signed his deal. But the CVC deal was way worse than Laporta's levers, so he made the decision for the club and against Messi in the end.
The real reason is money.

jm99

Those are two different things. The rule applies to the segunda devision and lower is about a certain percentage of your last salary. But LaLiga has also minimum wage (around €150.000/y). Technically Messi could play for the minimum wage, but neither will he do it understandably, nor has Barca asked him to.
Right, yeah I thought was something like that. No, I wouldn't expect him to play for that when it's almost a 1000x reduction on his previous contract, it's just annoying seeing people on here basically saying he would have played for that if it was allowed

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Gerard Romero:

"At the end of March, FCB sent a viability program to the League for the arrival of Messi but it is still not enough to fit the FairPlay.

During the next few days the FCB will present an update of the program."

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Gerard Romero:

"At the end of March, FCB sent a viability program to the League for the arrival of Messi but it is still not enough to fit the FairPlay.

During the next few days the FCB will present an update of the program."
Romero also said LaLiga's marketing team is already working on Messi's image. He just milks that topic now for clicks and twitch subs. The downside of it is, he gives many fans too much hope. I don't like his klick baits.

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Romero also said LaLiga's marketing team already working on Messi's image. He just milks that topic now for clicks and twitch subs. The downside of it is, he gives many fans too much hope. I don't like his klick baits.
Romero is very well connected within Barcelona. In January he said that Messi was far from renewing and all of France called him a liar and now we see how the issue is.

He also anticipated the agreement with Iñigo Martínez and Gundogan (they only disagree on one clause).

He always says it; When he has information he gives it, and when he does not have it he does not invent it. That's why he announces few moves.

He is super tier 1.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Romero is very well connected within Barcelona. In January he said that Messi was far from renewing and all of France called him a liar and now we see how the issue is.

He also anticipated the agreement with Iñigo Martínez and Gundogan (they only disagree on one clause).

He always says it; When he has information he gives it, and when he does not have it he does not invent it. That's why he announces few moves.

He is super tier 1.
I know he is well connected, but he also baits klicks and views in twitch. Over the past summer, he nearly wrote daily "something's happening" and in every 10th stream there was actually new information. In all other streams he was 2 hours on the phone, teasing another 2 hours if he's allowed to say this information and nothing happened in the end.
Right now, nobody knows if Messi is possible. The club works on a plan and LaLiga and Tebas need to approve it, which is nearly impossible given Tebas' hatred of Laporta. But I expect him to ride the Messi wave as long as he can, information or not, because he makes money out of it keeping the topic alive.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

He is super tier 1.
I know he is well connected, but he also baits klicks and views in twitch. Over the past summer, he nearly wrote daily "something's happening" and in every 10th stream there was actually new information. In all other streams he was 2 hours on the phone, teasing another 2 hours if he's allowed to say this information and nothing happened in the end.
Right now, nobody knows if Messi is possible. The club works on a plan and LaLiga and Tebas need to approve it, which is nearly impossible given Tebas' hatred of Laporta. But I expect him to ride the Messi wave as long as he can, information or not, because he makes money out of it keeping the topic alive.
Remember where you are. Journos do the same with our club as well - one day everything is going according to plan, the next day that plan is going to shit, rinse and repeat.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Remember where you are. Journos do the same with our club as well - one day everything is going according to plan, the next day that plan is going to shit, rinse and repeat.
All information should be taken with caution. From the information about signings that comes out, in this case from Barcelona, there is always a tendency to believe a little more people who have been right in the past.

That said, who knows what's going to happen.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
All information should be taken with caution. From the information about signings that comes out, in this case from Barcelona, there is always a tendency to believe a little more people who have been right in the past.

That said, who knows what's going to happen.
It adds to the drama I guess. Although I don't see why this story needs anymore drama. If Messi goes back to United, after the season he's just had proving he isn't washed up, it's like Return of the King levels of hype.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
It looks more serious now.

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
It looks more serious now.
- The economic plan that Barcelona presented to LaLiga was for four arrivals and two important sales.

- Among the important sales, it is speculated that the most likely could be Ansu Fati and Raphinha.

- The economic income that Messi generated before leaving was between €70-120M annually according to information from people from the previous board.

Rojow

Now you can see for real how much was the income he brought to Barcelona when he was un team and the years he wasn’t.

jm99

Now you can see for real how much was the income he brought to Barcelona when he was un team and the years he wasn’t.
How does that work

22/23 - 1.26 billion revenue

https://frontofficesports.com/barcelona-posts-111m-profit-for-2022/

18/19 (the last pre covid season for Messi at Barca) 990m revenue

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news...-revenue-2018-19-season/?zephr_sso_ott=otmtXi

The idea that any player generates tens of millions of revenue or over a hudnr3d is for the birds.

This myth abiut shirt sales and the like that a player pays for themselves, it doesn't happen no matter who you are because the companies take the lions share of shirt sales clubs get a fixed rate

redshaw

" Leo to get a % of what he generates to the club "

What did Barca's revenue drop down to while he's been away from the club?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How does that work

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news...-revenue-2018-19-season/?zephr_sso_ott=otmtXi

The idea that any player generates tens of millions of revenue or over a hudnr3d is for the birds.

This myth abiut shirt sales and the like that a player pays for themselves, it doesn't happen no matter who you are because the companies take the lions share of shirt sales clubs get a fixed rate
When the contracts with sponsors has it that they have to pay less when Messi doesn't play, shirt sales are irrelevant.

Moreover I wouldn't underestimate the economic impact superstars produce. Is it really that absurd that a player of Messi's (or Cristiano's) stature generates ~15% of a club's revenue? I mean, the team as a whole generates 100%. The attention his homecoming would generate woulf be absurd.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
How does that work

That comparison includes the Levers ?

It also probably includes a catch up boost as everything opened again after Covid.

What is the revenue from normal operations only ?

More importantly, I strongly doubt Barcelona can afford Messi unless he plays for free. More so if they face a lengthy UEFA ban for paying the refs, which is probably.

Messi probably goes to Saudi or Florida next, depending on if he wants the Saudi $$$ or not.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
That comparison includes the Levers ?

It also probably includes a catch up boost as everything opened again after Covid.

What is the revenue from normal operations only ?

More importantly, I strongly doubt Barcelona can afford Messi unless he plays for free. More so if they face a lengthy UEFA ban for paying the refs, which is probably.

Messi probably goes to Saudi or Florida next, depending on if he wants the Saudi $$$ or not.
The 18/19 budget included sales. The one of the 22/23 levers.
I think the ordinary income this season was about €800M.

In the event that Uefa punished Barcelona a year without playing Champions would be within 2 seasons. For this year there is no time.

jm99

When the contracts with sponsors has it that they have to pay less when Messi doesn't play, shirt sales are irrelevant.

Moreover I wouldn't underestimate the economic impact superstars produce. Is it really that absurd that a player of Messi's (or Cristiano's) stature generates ~15% of a club's revenue? I mean, the team as a whole generates 100%. The attention his homecoming would generate woulf be absurd.
I don't know, I think barcelona and real are such financial juggernauts that a player no matter how big is not generating 100m extra revenue.

Same as when Ronaldo came here, obviously past his peak but still one of the most marketable players ever, it didn't really move the needle in terms of sponsorship.

If i recall correctly barcelona landed their biggest ever sponsorship deal, after Messi left, with Spotify. I'm sure these players bring in a big extra, but look at people on here talking about ronaldo's wages here at 500,000 a week, that's only 26m a year but I highly doubt Ronaldo paid for himself in that respect. So much of clubs revenue comes fro, matchday and tv deals that doesn't change really regardless of one player. I doubt Messi was worth 120m extra in sponsorship revenue for barcelon, that sounds ludicrous.

van Nistelrooy

Will certainly leave PSG this summer following his suspension and his contract being up.

Assuming Barcelona can't bring him home with their financial nightmare, would we entertain bringing Messi in on a free?

Doesn't seem a logical signing, but perhaps for one season under a billionaire owner? Could be interesting.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
It's either Barcelona or Al Hilal at this point. Depends on LaLiga and their answer to Barca's plan to fit in Messi for the spanish ffp.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
According to reports Messi doesn't want to retire from european football yet. Only the disgusting €400m/y offer from Al Hilal could change his mind. If he wants to join MLS, then I believe at a later stage.