Lionel Messi Has No Intention Of Renewing Paris Saint Germain Contract - Reports

Shark

@NotShark
Could he return to Barca? he's achieved everything now, why not retire there now.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not even Chelsea can pay the wages he is gonging to ask for… Probably Asia or a very special kind of deal in the MLS (like him
owning a stake in the franchise or something)…
Only the middle eastern countries team can afford him in Asia. China no longer offering big money after the government started clamping down.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It would be hilarious if he went to the Saudi league, got a bigger contract than Ronaldo, outscored and outassisted him and beat him to the titles and the poster boy fame. It would be a fitting end to their legacy.

None of those things are unlikely.

Probably nonsense but one of the Ladbible type websites (I forget exactly which) published an article saying City had posted a picture of a blue Messi shirt on Instagram and deleted it a few seconds later.

In reality its probably the US. Galaxy or Inter Miami. Nice paycheck and an incredible place to live for a couple of years. He gave up on serious club football when he left Barcelona.

Pintu

Probably nonsense but one of the Ladbible type websites (I forget exactly which) published an article saying City had posted a picture of a blue Messi shirt on Instagram and deleted it a few seconds later.

In reality its probably the US. Galaxy or Inter Miami. Nice paycheck and an incredible place to live for a couple of years. He gave up on serious club football when he left Barcelona.
I have to disagree with th…. Winning the CL with Paris, being the main man, would be huge... Specially for his age.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well he has already achieved everything inn the biggest stage, hasn't he? Time to follow Ronaldo's footstep to move for oil money.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't think he'll renew with psg if they're knocked out by bayern in the coming week but if not psg then where? A Barcelona return seems unlikely due to the relationship breakdown with Laporta but he's still too good to go to MLS or Saudi Arabia.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't think he'll renew with psg if they're knocked out by bayern in the coming week but if not psg then where? A Barcelona return seems unlikely due to the relationship breakdown with Laporta but he's still too good to go to MLS or Saudi Arabia.
That’s why I think he should still renew with PSG. Unless he wants to start his retirement planning and opt for most money option.

But who who knows, maybe he worry sooner or later he will decline sharply, as he is approaching 36, and may no longer be able to perform as main man for his team, and then could even end up receiving Ronaldo kind of “treatment”.

So it might be wiser to leave European football at high note and start to cash in elsewhere. With most club trophies ever won, a WC, Copa and incoming 8th Ballon D’or, he should have nothing else to achieve and could as well start cashing in now.

And it’s naive to think he doesn’t want more money, remember he was in tax fraud before, and he was also part of reason Barca got into this financial mess with insane contract of 550m in 4 years. If he moves to Saudi he could even double his wealth there, so anything is possible.

Last edited:

Strelok

Could he return to Barca? he's achieved everything now, why not retire there now.
Could be real fun to watch how their fans react if so.

Personally I'd love to see him in our shirt. We'd be the only club that have both Ronaldo and Messi play for. But tbh don't think ETH would fancy the idea.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Personally I'd love to see him in our shirt. We'd be the only club that have both Ronaldo and Messi play for. But tbh don't think ETH would fancy the idea.
Don't just assume for me. :wenger:

Milo2035

Miami. Great place for his children.
Then on loan to United for the second half of the season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

As amazing as he is, we should steer well clear.

It’s an odd one for Messi. I mean now nothing will come close to what he achieved in the summer at the WC. Winning the CL one last time would mean a lot to him I’m sure but he’s at a club that’s not in a position of harmony and he’s 36. If I were him I’d either move to a different team (like a Napoli or Dortmund) in a new league or back to Argentina. But these players are more ambitious than I am and don’t like pay cuts!

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It could be possible but as with the Ronaldo they're on massive wages so it's more a matter of giving up to a ton of money and accept a part time role. Personally at this point I think is more likely he decides to retire, go to Argentina than going back to Barcelona.

Strelok

It’s an odd one for Messi. I mean now nothing will come close to what he achieved in the summer at the WC. Winning the CL one last time would mean a lot to him I’m sure but he’s at a club that’s not in a position of harmony and he’s 36. If I were him I’d either move to a different team (like a Napoli or Dortmund) in a new league or back to Argentina. But these players are more ambitious than I am and don’t like pay cuts!
Agree.

He's still an amazing, very amazing player. Imo problem is he doesn't run and press. Very hard to fit him in a pressing and high intensity side unless you have a midfield levels above the rest. Which we clearly don't have. Let alone the off field issues he might bring.

Imo his options are pretty limited if he'd like to keep his current wages.

City might be one but with the current charges hanging over their head it's a no go imo.

Bayern won't take him his wages would destroy their wages structure and cause internal issues. It's not their culture either.

Barca is still recovering from their financial crisis, and they're probably about to have another huge scandal with their recently reported buying refs.

Which basically leaves him us, the ME and maybe Chelsea I think. But Chelsea doesn't look like they'd have CL football next year. Would be interesting to see his next choice. He might simply renew with PSG I think.

Napoli would be a great one, going full circle with his (and every other Argentinian's) idol. Plus they are actually looking like winning something so it wouldn't be a waste of his time.

We should stay well away. Old, expensive and unmotivated for the rigours of the PL.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Bernardo to Barca. Messi to City.

I think Manchester in general is a good shout. If Messi bags an EPL, that’s 3 leagues conquered! I’m sure that would slot just underneath his World Cup winners medal….

Zen86

I could definitely see him coming here if Qatar take over before the summer window, whether ETH wants him or not. Keeps Messi on the Qatari books and fits the statement signing criteria.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I could definitely see him coming here if Qatar take over before the summer window, whether ETH wants him or not. Keeps Messi on the Qatari books and fits the statement signing criteria.
Mbappe would serve better as a long-term statement signing.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can’t and it would make little sense given his decline. Especially when Mbappe is their jewel

Strelok

I'd doubt this.

They're already under a lot of pressure and scrutiny from owning the two clubs. On a free or not another player coming direct from PSG to United would simply make the situation much worse.

Plus if they have a bit of brain they'd realise what they did at PSG will only create a mess for the manager. And if they have any PR consultant working for them with an ounce of ability they'd know how much United fans rate and support ETH. Then a 36 yo Messi on a free imo is not remotely anything resemblance to a statement signing. A 150m for Osimhen might.

stoinz

It would be hilarious if he went to the Saudi league, got a bigger contract than Ronaldo, outscored and outassisted him and beat him to the titles and the poster boy fame. It would be a fitting end to their legacy.

None of those things are unlikely.
what would be more hilarious is he coming to us and we win bot the champion league and premiere league with him as top scorer. There will be a flood of biblical portions in Saudi.

Not that I want Messi to come, still a great player but we just unleashed Rashford. We should focus on grooming the next generational talent than worshiping false gods and goats.

gormless

Napoli would be a great one, going full circle with his (and every other Argentinian's) idol. Plus they are actually looking like winning something so it wouldn't be a waste of his time.

We should stay well away. Old, expensive and unmotivated for the rigours of the PL.
Don’t Napoli press high up? He would be very unsuited

Don’t Napoli press high up? He would be very unsuited
He's unsuited for any top league now i think. He won't fit any team but rather do whatever he wants whilst the rest of the team plays their game. I don't think his ability alone is enough for the PL any longer but Serie A is slow enough for him.

Bwuk

He’d have games where he’d look unstoppable, but we’d need to totally change our line up cover his lack of legs.

He’d have to play at 10, he wouldn’t defend off RW.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I doubt he would be happy to get low paid at Napoli, he probably wont even get half of his current salary there. He deserves to have a huge pay out in his retiring years.

Zen86

I'd doubt this.

They're already under a lot of pressure and scrutiny from owning the two clubs. On a free or not another player coming direct from PSG to United would simply make the situation much worse.

Plus if they have a bit of brain they'd realise what they did at PSG will only create a mess for the manager. And if they have any PR consultant working for them with an ounce of ability they'd know how much United fans rate and support ETH. Then a 36 yo Messi on a free imo is not remotely anything resemblance to a statement signing. A 150m for Osimhen might.
It remains to be seen how they would operate, hopefully we wouldn't become PSG II.

I guess it depends on what Messi wants to do. If he wanted to try his hand in the PL for a year or so (unlikely, but possible), I could see Qatar intervening to stop him from going to City. It would invite scrutiny, but they could probably get away with it. They wouldn't get away with Mbappe doing the same. For what it's worth, I really wouldn't want Messi to come here.