Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's 2 trophies away from Alves's all-time record, and there's a good chance he can tie it by next May if PSG have a good season, so that must be his main target, world cup-aside. Beyond that, he's extending his all time goals/assists record.
I know that people obsessed by stats care about this, but don't you think the only thing that matters to him is a final shot at cl and wc?

Ladron de redcafe

I know that people obsessed by stats care about this, but don't you think the only thing that matters to him is a final shot at cl and wc?
The world cup is by far his biggest target. Who said otherwise? He's repeatedly stated he'd give up all his individual awards for the world cup.

Gehrman

The world cup is by far his biggest target. Who said otherwise? He's repeatedly stated he'd give up all his individual awards for the world cup.
I was just questioning that whether at this stage he cares about all the other stuff apart from those 2 trophies.

Pocho

We are not. Ronaldo fans respect Messi more then Messi fans respect Ronaldo. Nobody should care when these guys perform or do amazing things. They are two of the greatest of all time, in my view arguably the two greatest.

I was actually rewatching the game this morning as I didn’t get to watch it fully yesterday and he looks to have his quick first step back or even a little more burst of pace. He seems more loose and just enjoying the game again. If he can keep this level of performance along with the fact Argentina seem that have finally figured it out they are certainly one of the 3 favorite for the World Cup in my view.

This very well could be Lionel Messi last season in Europe so I’m going to enjoy it before this era is over.

Now for some light hearted banter, that first goal was more of a tricycle kick then a bicycle kick but well done ;)
fair enough, but I wasn’t talking about you. On Twitter they are comparing Ronaldo’s bicycle with this one, everybody knows that was better but it is not the point.
Great player that little guy Vitinha, btw.

GinobiliTheGOAT

You see similarities between PL fodder and a side like Clermont? I said league 2 for a reason, although I actually mean the division below Championship which is now league 1.

Just find the footage odd - how many times over is the disparity between the squads last night?
We’ve seen far more lopsided scores in epl than ligue 1. Obviously epl is the better league but we’ve seen ridiculous scores like 7-1 in epl nearly every year. As a of fact we’ve had scores of 9-0, 9-0, 7-0, 8-0, and 7-0 in the last 3 seasons of EPL alone.

Clermont is a rubbish side for sure but so is a massive gap at the top of the epl table vs the bottom. Again, epl is a far stronger league obviously but just saying.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
fair enough, but I wasn’t talking about you. On Twitter they are comparing Ronaldo’s bicycle with this one, everybody knows that was better but it is not the point.
Great player that little guy Vitinha, btw.
Vitinha is excellent, he has had quite a rise in the past year !

El Jefe

Different class. His first half has been a clinic in playmaking. 10/10

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Which is funny, because Ronaldo is probably not even a blip on Messi’s radar anymore.
I doubt Messi ever cared about Ronaldo he always struck me as the kinda of guy to just enjoy what he does.

Ronaldo on the other hand is super competitive which is mostly a good thing in terms of football .

MetoTTT

I doubt Messi ever cared about Ronaldo he always struck me as the kinda of guy to just enjoy what he does.

Ronaldo on the other hand is super competitive which is mostly a good thing in terms of football .
That's a joke, right?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
PSG are on absolute fire this year. I saw them last year even when they were winning matches easy in France and they just looked like a team not bothered. This season is different. They all look seriously arsed and we've seen the results of that. Seriously scary stuff.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's a joke, right?
I mean not really, j don't follow his personal life but he doesn't look like the obsessive type to me, he's still obviously super professionals to play at this level but I doubt he's anything like Ronaldo who just seems obsessed with winning and training.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean not really, j don't follow his personal life but he doesn't look like the obsessive type to me, he's still obviously super professionals to play at this level but I doubt he's anything like Ronaldo who just seems obsessed with winning and training.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe Setien gave an interview after his sacking claiming that Messi and co. are super cometitive and very disappointed when losing, even if it doesn't look like it. It was.a rather critical interview. I don't believe you get to this level without being like that. Still, I'm fully convinced this rivalry was more important to Ronaldo than it was to Messi. I doubt for instance that Messi would ever.make.such a fuss about his CL goal record as Ronaldo is.doing. Such records seem to mean less to him

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I believe Setien gave an interview after his sacking claiming that Messi and co. are super cometitive and very disappointed when losing, even if it doesn't look like it. It was.a rather critical interview. I don't believe you get to this level without being like that. Still, I'm fully convinced this rivalry was more important to Ronaldo than it was to Messi. I doubt for instance that Messi would ever.make.such a fuss about his CL goal record as Ronaldo is.doing. Such records seem to mean less to him
Oh I'm sure he's competitive as all pros must be, just not to the degree some other player without his talent might have to be.

I also think he harbored a lot more animosity toward madrid than he ever did to Ronaldo, he doesn't really seem bothered with him at all while ronnie can be quite petty at times.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He did look cooked about 70 minutes in, but he's put on a passing display that was about as good as it gets from him at times. Just ridiculous vision and execution.

Gehrman

Looks like Messi has the same role and position as last season. I thought he was finished last season, but he's still very good without being prime Messi. His goal was nice and his assist to Mpabbe was quality. The team chemistry of PSG this season really speaks volumes about the importance of having the right manager.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He did look cooked about 70 minutes in, but he's put on a passing display that was about as good as it gets from him at times. Just ridiculous vision and execution.
Think he was just in energy saving mode. I recently saw a short interview of I believe Henrichs who was asked who was the best out of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe after having played them once with Monacco. And he said that he "has to say Messi" although when Henrichs came on, the game was already decided and took it lightly while Neymar and Mbappe were still at it. Interestingly, he named Neymar as second because he had more to his locker than Mbappe who beats you with pace but is less surprising.

Gehrman

Think he was just in energy saving mode. I recently saw a short interview of I believe Henrichs who was asked who was the best out of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe after having played them once with Monacco. And he said that he "has to say Messi" although when Henrichs came on, the game was already decided and took it lightly while Neymar and Mbappe were still at it. Interestingly, he named Neymar as second because he had more to his locker than Mbappe who beats you with pace but is less surprising.
Messi is 35 and not known for his stamina. He always seems to be in energy saving mode.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi is 35 and not known for his stamina. He always seems to be in energy saving mode.
By that standard, he already was in energy saving mode at 20. Messi rarely ran more than 7-8 km per match. I believe the difference is, these days he's not willing to invest energy to pad his statistics when the game is already decided.

Gehrman

By that standard, he already was in energy saving mode at 20. Messi rarely ran more than 7-8 km per match. I believe the difference is, these days he's not willing to invest energy to pad his statistics when the game is already decided.
Where do you get those stats from. Messi at 20 still ran full pelt at the defenders.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Where do you get those stats from. Messi at 20 still ran full pelt at the defenders.

Here's for isntance a source from 2014 that has him at 6.8 km in a match against Atletico: https://www.marca.com/2014/04/09/futbol/equipos/barcelona/1397079222.html

Here's a source that has him at an average of 7.9 km over all his CL games: https://www.besoccer.com/new/the-10...ran-the-least-kilometres-during-the-champions

Can't find the articles now but Messi adjusted his nutrition in ~2012 or so and back then his kilometres per match were at their lowest, regularly below 7 km per 90.

Adidas used to publish them when they were selling those tracker chips in their boots. I used to run more in a game than Messi, he was never doing more than 8 or 9km. Other players like Alonso were doing 12 or 13km plus.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ironically, one of the games Messi ran the most in was probably the 2011 CL Final vs us.

I've re-watched that final a few times and was surprised by how much Messi was running.

Just our luck.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Messi was very good off the ball in his younger days. Maybe not statistically great by today's standards but he used to press and aid the Barcelona press effectively.

Gehrman

Messi was very good off the ball in his younger days. Maybe not statistically great by today's standards but he used to press and aid the Barcelona press effectively.
Yeah his tenacity was great.

Gehrman

Adidas used to publish them when they were selling those tracker chips in their boots. I used to run more in a game than Messi, he was never doing more than 8 or 9km. Other players like Alonso were doing 12 or 13km plus.
So this was back in 2007?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
So this was back in 2007?
I mean it's been a known fact that pretty much his whole career he has been one of the lowest running players on the pitch, but he's been catered to because he's just that good.

Him and Ney seem up to it this year, clearly have the WC in mind. They'll probably disconnect in the second half of the season.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah, the guy is just sublime. As good a playmaker as he is a goalscorer. It's an absurd combination.
he would probably have been the best no10 and best no 8 in the world for the last 15 years if he had chosen to play those positions

Could even one day see him dropping back and basically doing a pirlo (standing in the centre circle just running the game at walking pace)

Gehrman

They sold them up to 2018 I believe though player data stopped a couple of years before that.
Anyway it's not that important, I just think than young Messi was far less static than older Messi. He definitely looked pretty explosive back then, but I don't have data on km's covered and all that.