Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

GinobiliTheGOAT

Sounding pathetic because of stating the obvious fact that your guy was shite last season?

Not everybody has to enjoy what you supposedly enjoy although you're here defending him and getting triggered at posts so I doubt you're "enjoying" him....:lol:

"Couldn't care less".....well that's exactly the response and logic you expect from that fanbase. Thanks for illustrating that once again. :lol:

Enjoy watching the Paris game. Cheers.
In fairness your fanboying of Lewandowski has led to him being quite the flat track bully this season and last as well

wr8_utd

:'(
He's easily going to be back to Ballandor reckoning this year. Been so good.

GinobiliTheGOAT

I think Messi will head to Argentina after this season. Also think he will retire from international football. Sad to see a former GOAT’s career fizzle out in a poor league. Ajaccio, Clermont, Angers, Brest, Troyes, Strasbourg :lol::lol::lol:
I guess he will want yo ho all out in the CL.
Ronaldo’s career has fizzled out much worse

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo’s career has fizzled out much worse
You forgot to add ... "at the ripe old age of 38, while fighting in a league regarded as much 'harder' than the French league and playing for a team worse than Messi".

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
But the decline was already obvious even at Juventus. He lost his pace, couldn't skip past former Serie B defenders, his free kicks deteriorated to a point where he was a laughing stock not to mentiont he whole team had to be setup for him. In 3 years at Juve he scored 28 goals just from pens alone.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
In 3 years at Juve he scored 28 goals just from pens alone.
Even after deleting his penalty goals, he hit 73 from open play in 134 matches. That's better than 1 in 2 for a side with poor managers and an ageing squad.

Pocho

Who cares who scored more?? Messi is so much more than goals, except you know shite about football you have to reckon that

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Even after deleting his penalty goals, he hit 73 from open play in 134 matches. That's better than 1 in 2 for a side with poor managers and an ageing squad.
So did Lukaku. His overall play was getting worse the older he got. There were games where he was absolute shit and then scored a header, tap in and his fanboys here went SIUUUU...

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
So did Lukaku. His overall play was getting worse the older he got. There were games where he was absolute shit and then scored a header, tap in and his fanboys here went SIUUUU...
A young Lukaku at his peak scored 15 penalties at Inter Milan 19-21. That would mean he scored 49 non penalty goals in 95 matches. That is a rate of 51.5% vs Ronaldo who has 54.5% (73 in 134).
So ... no - old Ronaldo outperformed peak Lukaku in the same League.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought this was the Messi thread.
I'm sorry ... I just can't help myself ... I'm going to a 12-step program for this but I feel I will only be cured when both retire. Then its the Haaland v Mbappe debate.

mshnsh

I'm sorry ... I just can't help myself ... I'm going to a 12-step program for this but I feel I will only be cured when both retire. Then its the Haaland v Mbappe debate.
You need to get over it. I'm sure Messi’s goal last night must have given you sleepless nights.

GinobiliTheGOAT

You forgot to add ... "at the ripe old age of 38, while fighting in a league regarded as much 'harder' than the French league and playing for a team worse than Messi".
"fighting a league" :lol: 25% of his PL goals last year were against Norwich. His erasure from football has been brutal and swift.

Ladron de redcafe

It's okay. Just try to remember that your meltdowns won't help him close the balon dor or Golden boots lead, and you'll realize how frivolous it is.

Still the best in the business.

Playmaker and goalscorer.
Who cares who scored more?? Messi is so much more than goals, except you know shite about football you have to reckon that
8 goals and 8 assists now, and if he continues at this pace, he'll have a chance to add another 20 goals/20 assists season, 2 years after his 31 goal/25 assist campaign.

Hammondo

A young Lukaku at his peak scored 15 penalties at Inter Milan 19-21. That would mean he scored 49 non penalty goals in 95 matches. That is a rate of 51.5% vs Ronaldo who has 54.5% (73 in 134).
So ... no - old Ronaldo outperformed peak Lukaku in the same League.
It's basically the same though.

Mshafeek

Just saw his individual highlights for the benfica game. Was very very good - a performance that reminded of the past.

wr8_utd

:'(
They've played with a man down because of Ramos' red card but absolutely zero creativity from PSG today without Messi on the pitch.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
@Gehrman you still think Messi doesn’t make the team better ?
I said I wasn't convinced, but that was also based on last season. Considering his consistency this season I think he does, but in high stake games like the CL knockouts, I think its problematic to have a 35 year old Messi who's so static off the ball combined Mbappe and Neymar who also don't do much work off the ball. Messi was meh vs Juventus in their last match, and was average vs Madrid last year and missed a penalty. He's done very well considering his age this season, but he's still nothing like 2015 Messi or even 2018-2019 Messi which is why tactically I wasn't sure how I felt about his stint at PSG. However I hope he keeps up his current form so he can have a grand finale if this is his final season in European football. But in short yes, I believe he makes PSG better this season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I said I wasn't convinced, but that was also based on last season. Considering his consistency this season I think he does, but in high stake games like the CL knockouts, I think its problematic to have a 35 year old Messi who's so static off the ball combined Mbappe and Neymar who also don't do much work off the ball. Messi was meh vs Juventus in their last match, and was average vs Madrid last year and missed a penalty. He's done very well considering his age this season, but he's still nothing like 2015 Messi or even 2018-2019 Messi which is why tactically I wasn't sure how I felt about his stint at PSG. However I hope he keeps up his current form so he can have a grand finale if this is his final season in European football. But in short yes, I believe he makes PSG better this season.
2015 and 2019 Messi were just as static off the ball..

Pocho

right, but it’s unfair to judge Messi comparing him to his 2015 performances. He still have to prove himself in a big stage match. But he is doing great so far.

Gehrman

2015 and 2019 Messi were just as static off the ball..
I don't remember Messi jogging towards the opponents goal during counterattacks, but you're probably a bigger expert on Messi than I am, so I'll yield

Gehrman

right, but it’s unfair to judge Messi comparing him to his 2015 performances. He still have to prove himself in a big stage match. But he is doing great so far.
He is doing well this season and as I said considering his age and I hope it continues. Everyone said his PSG stint would be judged by his CL performances. I don't think many of them have been that great especially against strong opposition. I agree it's unfair to compare him to his 2015 version, but that was more about the MSN comparison and the current trio.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Watching Haaland, I've been reminded of why Messi is special and almost unprecedented in the history of the game. Haaland is scoring at a ridiculous rate but you can sort of see how he does it. He's bigger, stronger and faster than his opponents, has great movement and he lives in the penalty area. Ronaldo at his most prolific was similar, you could understand how he scored so much even though you could also appreciate how difficult it was to be that consistent.

With Mess, there's a kind of bewildering element to him because it's not clear how someone that small and so far fromm being an out and out striker can score so many goals. It's like a magic trick. The only other example I can think of is Pele, and it's still not quite the same because Pele was an astonishing athlete in a way that Messi is not.

Pat Cat

Watching Haaland, I've been reminded of why Messi is special and almost unprecedented in the history of the game. Haaland is scoring at a ridiculous rate but you can sort of see how he does it. He's bigger, stronger and faster than his opponents, has great movement and he lives in the penalty area. Ronaldo at his most prolific was similar, you could understand how he scored so much even though you could also appreciate how difficult it was to be that consistent.

With Mess, there's a kind of bewildering element to him because it's not clear how someone that small and so far fromm being an out and out striker can score so many goals. It's like a magic trick. The only other example I can think of is Pele, and it's still not quite the same because Pele was an astonishing athlete in a way that Messi is not.
Agree with most of your post but Messi is, or certainly was until about a year ago, a physical monster. The low center of gravity, granite like core strength and speed was absolutely breathtaking.

IFC 1905

In my vision Messi is the only player I’ve seen taking the right decision constantly. Like the normal thing is making mistakes but he always chooses what’s correct between passing, scoring, dribbling. He plays as if he was watching from the stands.

Gehrman

In my vision Messi is the only player I’ve seen taking the right decision constantly. Like the normal thing is making mistakes but he always chooses what’s correct between passing, scoring, dribbling. He plays as if he was watching from the stands.
True his decision making has always been outstanding.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think Messi will head to Argentina after this season. Also think he will retire from international football. Sad to see a former GOAT’s career fizzle out in a poor league. Ajaccio, Clermont, Angers, Brest, Troyes, Strasbourg :lol::lol::lol:
I guess he will want yo ho all out in the CL.
Why does people always asume him and ronaldo are going back to their local League.

Nobody there could have afforded their salary, he has no need to go there to cement his standing etc.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But the decline was already obvious even at Juventus. He lost his pace, couldn't skip past former Serie B defenders, his free kicks deteriorated to a point where he was a laughing stock not to mentiont he whole team had to be setup for him. In 3 years at Juve he scored 28 goals just from pens alone.
Actually his avg dribble stats at Juventus was around 1.8 per game, that’s even slightly better than Antony at Ajax.

His scoring record there is also relatively phenomenal, fastest player to reach 100 goals there, in just 3 years. Juventus is also known to be defensive team and he broke 80+ years long scoring record over a season there too.

His freekick was very bad though.

In comparison with other top goalscorer over the same period in Italy:

18-21:
1. Ronaldo - 101 goals in 133 games
2. Immobile - 83 goals in 131 games
3. Lukaku - 64 goals in 95 games
4. Quagliarella - 51 goals in 101 games
5. Insigne - 46 goals in 134 games

Also, the summer before he arrived Man Utd, at age 36, he was golden boot winner in Euro.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

I think you and I had our disagreements regarding what order Messi and Maradona go in the all time list (1 or 2). I'm sure Copa America and the 7th balon dor helped sway some of those on the fence in favor of Messi.

I'm not sure how much recency bias is at play. For a single tournament peak, i'm not sure there will ever be someone with a higher level of play than Maradona in 86. For a single season or calendar year, obviously Messi's goals production records will likely never be touched.

Pocho

I think you and I had our disagreements regarding what order Messi and Maradona go in the all time list (1 or 2). I'm sure Copa America and the 7th balon dor helped sway some of those on the fence in favor of Messi.

I'm not sure how much recency bias is at play. For a single tournament peak, i'm not sure there will ever be someone with a higher level of play than Maradona in 86. For a single season or calendar year, obviously Messi's goals production records will likely never be touched.
I’m fine with Maradona in first place and Messi second if it was the case but i think it’s fair to appreciate Messi’s longevity as a top player