Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
So, another Messi chokejob. Why is he still designated penalty taker is beyond me.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Ego. Ronaldo kept taking free kicks despite being shit at them. Messi keeps taking penalties despite being shit at them. Its for their ego.
Messi has given up plenty of penalties to teammates. Laturo would be the 2nd best penalty taker but he wasn't on the pitch at the time of the penalty.

Either way it really was a great save by Szczesny.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Pace has completely gone (unless he’s carrying a bit of an injury?)

GOAT.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He has lost a yard of pace but his dribbling skill is still incredible, as is his passing. All that was missing tonight was a goal.

wangyu

Decent game nothing more nothing less, a 7 but since the name is messi it has to be upgraded to GOAT game I guess.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Yea some of the praise is going OTT. He was good with Poland being absolutely abject.

Malone_Post

I honestly find it incredible just how many people can’t bring themselves to just enjoy watching the guy play.

I have absolutely no affiliation to him. I’m not Argentine, I don’t support Barca or PSG, but watching him is just magical. The technique, touch. vision, artistry, balance, passing, skill…it’s as close as you will get to poetry in motion. He’s 35, his legs have gone, he’s years past his best…and he can still enthral you with the things he does on a football pitch.

If you’re a football fan, and you can’t enjoy Messi, you might as well just give up.

Reactions: oates

Scottynaldinho

Absolutely colossal. All missing was a goal or an assist and a piss poor penalty.

Apart from that, best performance I've ever seen from anyone in a WC game. Not GOAT, he's the God.

RedDevilMachine

My biggest regret of not being able to make it to Qatar is to watch him live. It's one of those experience you can say you can tell your children and grandchildren one day. He offers so much more than just goal scoring, a bit concerned with how he has been missing penalties frequently for Argentina though. Would have been nice to see him score in his 7th consecutive match for Argentina, breaking his personal record.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I honestly find it incredible just how many people can’t bring themselves to just enjoy watching the guy play.

I have absolutely no affiliation to him. I’m not Argentine, I don’t support Barca or PSG, but watching him is just magical. The technique, touch. vision, artistry, balance, passing, skill…it’s as close as you will get to poetry in motion. He’s 35, his legs have gone, he’s years past his best…and he can still enthral you with the things he does on a football pitch.

If you’re a football fan, and you can’t enjoy Messi, you might as well just give up.
Totally agree

What the feck.
He was good, Argentina were ridiculously dominant. De Paul 145 passes for heaven’s sake :lol:

He also got caught up in multiple foot races like never before, was very slow releasing the ball on plenty occasions, and missed another pen.
A solid 7.5 performance.
But apparently that was a religious experience and him being the best player in the World.

People lose their minds with these pair.

wangyu

The hyperbole is strong with some of the comments. I’m not even sure I watched the same game now

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Decent game nothing more nothing less, a 7 but since the name is messi it has to be upgraded to GOAT game I guess.
It's the other way around - it was a very good display display (albeit against poor opposition), but because it's Messi it's "just okay".

God forbid Bruno Fernandes plays the way Messi did today on Friday, we'll never hear the end of it on here.

ROFLUTION

The praise of him is over the top, but would be great if he waited till the summer on switching sides or extensing, hanging Ronaldo out to dry with picking a new club.

cyberman

Played well but didn’t really stand out amongst the other Argentinian attackers

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was ridiculously good. Poland had no intention to tackle him or even play football. Probably one of the easiest games they ever had. Even worse than Saudi.

Scottynaldinho

It's the other way around - it was a very good display display (albeit against poor opposition), but because it's Messi it's "just okay".

God forbid Bruno Fernandes plays the way Messi did today on Friday, we'll never hear the end of it on here.
Bruno almost scored a hat trick following a performance where he assisted two goals and all of his contributions coming in at the crucial moments. What's wrong what a Utd forum cherishing that?

mshnsh

He was good, Argentina were ridiculously dominant. De Paul 145 passes for heaven’s sake :lol:

He also got caught up in multiple foot races like never before, was very slow releasing the ball on plenty occasions, and missed another pen.
A solid 7.5 performance.
But apparently that was a religious experience and him being the best player in the World.

People lose their minds with these pair.
He is an artist on the pitch. There are and have been many great goalscorers but Very few, if any, footballers in history have/had his artistry combines with his goals.

Today he was an artist, vs Mexico he scored a goal that was so typical of him. He doesn't rely on poaching.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You gotta be gutted about Lautaro though

That's why Maxi Meza went to the WC in 2018 :lol: :lol:
To be honest he's had a poor tournament thus far.

I thought he would kick on after the Copa but it didn't happen.

The team looks much better with Alvarez in there so I can't see Lautaro starting again this tournament without injury.

wr8_utd

:'(
Ego. Ronaldo kept taking free kicks despite being shit at them. Messi keeps taking penalties despite being shit at them. Its for their ego.
This is just not true. Messi has in the past given up plenty of penalties to Neymar and Suarez at Barcelona. Similarly, at PSG, after his miss vs Real Madrid, he has given up penalty duty there also as there are better options. He also used to share free kick duty with Alves and Xavi at Barcelona when there were alternatives. As far as Argentina goes, who would you replace as a penalty taker? Messi has a conversion rate of 78% while Lauturo is at 68%, Di Maria at 58% and only De Paul stands out at 77%. Mac Allister ofcourse has scored 6 out of 7 but would you really put him on penalty duty at a World Cup? Messi has also probably scored more than double of the penalties the rest of the lot have attempted. I think Messi shouldn't be first choice taker but there really is no alternative for Argentina.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
They had a chat though.
Yeah after the final whistle they did that weird cover their mouth talk for ages.

This was in the last couple of the minutes of the game where Messi beat Lew twice in the space of a couple of seconds and the Lew fouled him twice to stop him running away and the ref blew for the second foul.

Lew was apologising and Messi ignored him.

wr8_utd

:'(
Alternatively, other players having games like this would be hailed as amazing performances. For Messi, this is just standard.