Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

AlPistacho

He didn’t score in the final. Argentina were a very good team.
True. Argentina still had a good team to say he “carried them” is a myth, he might have made a difference the same way Messi did to peak Barca. Argentina historically usually produce good teams Vs (say) Brazil that (historically)produced 8 outstanding individuals.

Look at the variety of Argentinian players over the years across the various positions, they are almost structured like Europeans but with South American flair. From FB who could defend like Heinze, aggressive CDM like Mascherano, creative CDM’s like Redondo, complete number 9s like Batistuta, to geniuses like Maradona and Messi.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Really doubt it. France as usual have the squad to go all the way. Argentina are like Stoke but relying on a 35 year old Messi to create. Also Mbappe is a better goalscorer at this point in time.
Like Stoke??

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Will be curious to see how he does vs the Netherlands, but he has had a impressive WC. He started off poorly vs Saudi Arabia, but he's picked it up since then.

If he snatches the Golden Ball from Mbappe with improved performances, his legacy will be truly cemented(as it should be already).
I don't think he will, as Mbappé is on another level in this WC. He's Argentina's best player but I don't think this team has what it takes to win it.

IFC 1905

Really doubt it. France as usual have the squad to go all the way. Argentina are like Stoke but relying on a 35 year old Messi to create. Also Mbappe is a better goalscorer at this point in time.
So... GK Martinez, Romero, Otamendi, Lisandro, Paredes, Enzo Fernandez, Di Maria, Dybala, Lautaro, Alvarez are all stoke level? :lol:

Righteous Steps

I think R9's passing is a bit underrated. Saw a few crazy through balls by him. But he's definitely less of a playmaker - but the way he played, he didn't need to be. Could create chances for himself and others all by himself through his sheer technique and explosiveness.

Generally, I find it very hard to decide between Messi, Maradona, Pelé and Ronaldo. You watch one of them and think "there's no way somebody else was that good" but then you watch one of the other three and think the same. The only four players that make me feel that way.
Agree.

Flexdegea

So... GK Martinez, Romero, Otamendi, Lisandro, Paredes, Enzo Fernandez, Di Maria, Dybala, Lautaro, Alvarez are all stoke level? :lol:

People get totally ridiculous when trying to prop up players they are total fanbois about.

They Martinez on the bench too. But some ladz will keep the are championship outfit

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Paredes definitely and no I don't have a negative bias toward him. :D

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You’re absolutely nuts you :lol:

Di Maria has created 6 chances, has one assist for what it’s worth.
Zero big chances created though. Anyway i was exaggerating, but Argentina are not really an impressive team to watch at all.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Zero big chances created though. Anyway i was exaggerating, but Argentina are not really an impressive team to watch at all.
Yup agree with you for the most part.

Without DiMarias direct running style (and goal threat) it does feel a little one dimensional at times.

Di Maria wasn't on the pitch to help out vs Australia and he's been an important part of Argentina's recent run of good results pre tournament.

I'd say Di Maria was a bit crap vs Saudi, good for 20/30 minutes vs Mexico (average apart from that) and had a good game vs Poland personally.

Hopefully he's back and continues his good form vs the Netherlands.

Last edited:

Theo88

Cruyff is top 5 of all time. R9 is not top 10.
R9 at 21 was probably better than CR7 apart from his absolute peak years - 14/15 and perhaps 15/16 ? People will hate me for this but I’ve watched them both play, the time between R9’s retirement and CR7 isnt 4 decades hence comparisons can be made. R9 was that good. The player Real got was at best 50% of the pre injury version. And he was still banging in 20 goals a season in la ligua for fun.

but it feels like you haven’t watched him play. This isnt the 60’s and semi pro leagues, R9 was a demigod against good defenders

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
R9 at 21 was probably better than CR7 apart from his absolute peak years - 14/15 and perhaps 15/16 ? People will hate me for this but I’ve watched them both play, the time between R9’s retirement and CR7 isnt 4 decades hence comparisons can be made. R9 was that good. The player Real got was at best 50% of the pre injury version. And he was still banging in 20 goals a season in la ligua for fun.

but it feels like you haven’t watched him play. This isnt the 60’s and semi pro leagues, R9 was a demigod against good defenders
He was better than CR7 at any year, including his peak. The league and offense wasn't the same, he didn't have a team that was massively better than 18+ of the other teams in his league like CR7 got to enjoy in his prime, it was just a different sport with far less money involved, but there isn't a single version of CR7 I'd put over that R9, especially with what he was doing against the top defenders in the world which were some of the best of all-time.

Theo88

He was better than CR7 at any year, including his peak. The league and offense wasn't the same, he didn't have a team that was massively better than 18+ of the other teams in his league like CR7 got to enjoy in his prime, it was just a different sport with far less money involved, but there isn't a single version of CR7 I'd put over that R9, especially with what he was doing against the top defenders in the world which were some of the best of all-time.
I would agree but at the same time i know people hate absolutes :lol: Just trying to moderate my view. R9 had CR7s finishing (and better) messi’s dribbling and ball control and dinho’s flair(some of it anyway). At 21. How people rate him outside the top 10 I don’t get. Anyway. We’re old. Back to tik tok
:lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I would agree but at the same time i know people hate absolutes :lol: Just trying to moderate my view. R9 had CR7s finishing (and better) messi’s dribbling and ball control and dinho’s flair(some of it anyway). At 21. How people rate him outside the top 10 I don’t get. Anyway. We’re old. Back to tik tok
:lol:
Well, for sure the consistency and being able to stay healthy, fair or not, is a factor. This is why I roll my eyes at anybody who mentions Ronaldinho as a top 10 player, he didn't maintain it long enough to warrant it, and neither did R9 unfortunately (though R9 lasted much longer as a top player than Ronaldinho did IMO), but if we're just talking about peak R9, there's no version of CR7 that I'd take over that R9, especially if I stack the deck as much as CR7 got to enjoy in Madrid.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You can do the same for CR7 and it doesn't disprove my point.

The other 3 are simply a notch above R9 when it comes to passing.
Cristiano has his fair share of backheel and trick passes as well as cut backs/crosses but I doubt you find many through balls as good as R9's. Plus R9 managed to do that in probably a third of the career minutes.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Undisputed GOAT..
GOAT level playmaking, passing, creativity, goal scoring, dribbling etc. etc. etc.

Hoof the ball

That is one of the greatest assists I have ever seen
There's a video on Youtube compiling 20 minutes worth of through-balls that resulted in 1-on-1 chances which didn't end in a goal and you wouldn't (or would?) believe how many were of this kind of quality.

However many assists he's ended up with, it doesn't even begin to tell the story of how many more he could have had depending on the quality of the recipient.

Irwin99

Could be player of the tournament again at this rate (Mbappe might have something to say about that though)

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
There's a video on Youtube compiling 20 minutes worth of through-balls that resulted in 1-on-1 chances which didn't end in a goal and you wouldn't (or would?) believe how many were of this kind of quality.

However many assists he's ended up with, it doesn't even begin to tell the story of how many more he could have had depending on the quality of the recipient.
Well it's not like he's been unluckier than other players. I often see this brought up when it comes to Messi but same can be said for any player. Only a certain percentage of your chances are going to get converted.

Either way, incredible assist and more importantly in the context of the game one of the best I've seen.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Could be player of the tournament again at this rate (Mbappe might have something to say about that though)
He's definitely among the best, but i just think prime Mpabbe with that team behind scares defenders more than anyone.