Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Thrilled we get to watch him in Europe for another year.

I need to go and watch a PSG game live just so I can say I’ve watched him play in the flesh.
Watched him a few times for Barca, the 2014/15 season with Xavi, Iniesta and MSN and a few other seasons when they won the league, one against Atleti.

Had a mate watch him at Netherlands vs Argentina too, when you see him in the flesh its much different to TV, you appreciate how good he is.

When I first saw Messi play you realise nobody can get the ball off them, you dont see it as well on TV but its really insane, different class I fully recommend going to a game this season whilst you can and he's in this form.

Neymar was special on those occasions too but its unbelievable somebody can be so good at football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maradona was hired due to massive, and i mean, massive, popular demand, the AFA didn't want to hire him, the journalists thought it was stupid, but if they hired anyone else as soon as they failed to win one game the situation would quickly become untenable, so they caved. He was massively criticized by those few journos with enough balls/nothing to live for :D

Even after the WC argentinians still far and wide wanted him to continue, Batista(his successor) was pretty much persona non grata in Argentina even leading up to the home Copa America a year later, and when they went out to Uruguay(and the 2011 failure had a lot to do with Messi - first Batista tried to accomodate him by playing the team he wanted, didn't work at all and Bolivia and Colombia effectively erased him, so Batista went with the team he wanted to play for the final must win game against Costa Rica, won convincingly and repeated it against Uruguay, where Messi was a ghost and blew the chance to win the game. He was under colossal pressure and caved completely)

Btw, this is the team argentina should have played in SA: GK- Zabaleta, Samuel, Demichelis, Zanetti- Mascherano, Cambiasso- Di Maria, Messi, Lavezzi- Milito. This is if not the most talented team in the tournament, then at least a close second. It's also complete, and with good depth almost everywhere, but especially in attack. Alas

Also, the idea that Martino and Valverde were poor managers is insane and denotes a complete lack of understanding of football. Martino did good, the team just wasn't as good as people thought anymore, and competed against Atletico and Real Madrid. Valverde, well, we've actually seen exactly how good of a job he did just by looking at how bad his successors were in comparison

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Also, the idea that Martino and Valverde were poor managers is insane and denotes a complete lack of understanding of football. Martino did good, the team just wasn't as good as people thought anymore, and competed against Atletico and Real Madrid. Valverde, well, we've actually seen exactly how good of a job he did just by looking at how bad his successors were in comparison
Insane and complete lack of understanding of football…ok.
Perhaps compared to league one coaches they are good/fantastic, but at the cream of the crop top of the top tier level?

This is a United forum, ask them, how many would want either Tata or Valverde to be their manager, my guess is it is closer to 0% than 50%

Mexico is a mid tier intetnational team, go ask the mexican fans if Tata was a good coach.

Actually nevermind, you are a Real Madeid fan, are you ok if either of them become your manager? If its a yes then we are done here, agree to disagree

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Insane and complete lack of understanding of football…ok.
Perhaps compared to league one coaches they are good/fantastic, but at the cream of the crop top of the top tier level?

This is a United forum, ask them, how many would want either Tata or Valverde to be their manager, my guess is it is closer to 0% than 50%

Mexico is a mid tier intetnational team, go ask the mexican fans if Tata was a good coach.

Actually nevermind, you are a Real Madeid fan, are you ok if either of them become your manager? If its a yes then we are done here, agree to disagree
Madrid and Barcelona have different requirements but yeah, wouldn't have had a problem with Valverde, he's actually really really good

I also never said they were fantastic, obviously there are better managers out there, but not many - btw Tata was in 2013/14 and 2015 and 2016 btw, and Argentina looked the best they have in the last 15 years before Scaloni under him

cafecillos

"There are better managers than Tata Martino out there, but not many". Right. And not agreeing with this "denotes a complete lack of understanding of football". Right.

Eddy_JukeZ

Argentina were pretty good under Tata tbf.

They were unlucky not to win 1 Copa under him.

As for Tata with Barcelona, I don't think he was great and Messi had his worst club season in his prime under Tata at Barca.

And Valverde was a good Barca manager despite their fans hounding him. He didn't adhere to Cruyffian/positional play principles, but they got amazing results and they've not come close to winning La Liga since he was sacked(unfairly too).

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Argentina were pretty good under Tata tbf.

They were unlucky not to win 1 Copa under him.

As for Tata with Barcelona, I don't think he was great and Messi had his worst club season in his prime under Tata at Barca.

And Valverde was a good Barca manager despite their fans hounding him. He didn't adhere to Cruyffian/positional play principles, but they got amazing results and they've not come close to winning La Liga since he was sacked(unfairly too).
Valverde is a very good coach. The issue is that he had to adapt to Messi too much which was one of the achilles heels of Barcelona in Messi's last few seaosns. You simply could not play a functional positional play system with Messi anymore because he did not occupy space correctly, he did not press and he did not move off the ball. Valverde had to adapt as did Quique Setién, whose teams have played some fantastic football.

For international football, Messi's work rate won't be as big of an issue because there is a team deficit tactically. That won't fly at Club level which is why all the clubs that have won the European Cup in the last few years work hard and run. Even Madrid last year worked hard and compressed space efficiently when they sat back. I'm not going to blame Messi for Barcelona's failures in the last few years in the European Cup, but he was a major issue tactically.

Eddy_JukeZ

Valverde is a very good coach. The issue is that he had to adapt to Messi too much which was one of the achilles heels of Barcelona in Messi's last few seaosns. You simply could not play a functional positional play system with Messi anymore because he did not occupy space correctly, he did not press and he did not move off the ball. Valverde had to adapt as did Quique Setién, whose teams have played some fantastic football.

For international football, Messi's work rate won't be as big of an issue because there is a team deficit tactically. That won't fly at Club level which is why all the clubs that have won the European Cup in the last few years work hard and run. Even Madrid last year worked hard and compressed space efficiently when they sat back. I'm not going to blame Messi for Barcelona's failures in the last few years in the European Cup, but he was a major issue tactically.
Yes Messi was a big issue towards the end tactically. He kept vacating the right in possession and out of possession. It forced Rakitic/Vidal to occupy the right flank usually, but when they lost the ball, they became outnumbered in central midfield. If Rakitic didn't cover for him, then their right side could be overloaded. It was a recurring theme in some of their games and probably why Ter Stegen was their 2nd best performer that season(2018-2019). Teams were creating more chances than their goals-conceded tally would indicate.

They had to defend in a 442 shape to cover for Messi, but with Messi/Suarez refusing to work off the ball out of possession and Messi's reluctance in possession to make even economical runs to open up space for teammates, they kept getting 'exposed' in CL games. That said, they still could have won the CL in 2019 if they didn't capitulate at Anfield.

And yeah international football isn't as structured as club football, so I'm not really surprised Messi has thrived more in international play lately compared to club football at the highest level. International football does present its own challenges though. Less structure makes it arguably harder to thrive and there's more pressure on you to perform if you're from certain countries.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Everything we get from Messi now is just pure bonus. He is a joy to watch. But as mentioned above, playing with the front trio rises alot of questions tactically. I think their only chance of winning the CL is to outscore its opponents. But against Bayern? They will tactically outsmart Psg. Unless Psg dare to bench Messi or Neymar.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
24 goals and 18 assists this season (which is what the Ballon D’Or is based on) for club and country.

World Cup title too while playing a key role.

Truly remarkable at age 35.

IFC 1905

Sweet and also kind of weird.

No way that's the same ribbon. Argentines are too much superstitious. Way too much. It's pretty normal to use a red ribbon like that or in the wrists. I have one myself. It's believed to save yourself from bad energies caused by envy.

Ladron de redcafe

During his niece's quinceañera, Messi was singing "Muchchos" with his wife and the rest of the family.

He's enjoying the celebrations so far after completing football.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina

During his niece's quinceañera, Messi was singing "Muchchos" with his wife and the rest of the family.

He's enjoying the celebrations so far after completing football.
Time to try some side quests, like winning the 5th UCL, breaking some CL goal scoring records, win another Copa for a 3 peat combo, rescuing a broken Barca, make MLS great for once, winning yet another ballon dor

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Looked tidy today, Ramos will give them a set piece threat too since he seems to be back fit now.

No idea what they will do in the midfield, hoping they beat Bayern would love Messi to get a 5th Balon d'or but city are obvious favourites.

Nero

Looked tidy today, Ramos will give them a set piece threat too since he seems to be back fit now.

No idea what they will do in the midfield, hoping they beat Bayern would love Messi to get a 5th Balon d'or but city are obvious favourites.
Why are City favourites? This has been said every year for the past decade.

Ladron de redcafe

He won his 5th 8 years ago. He's chasing his 8th right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why are City favourites? This has been said every year for the past decade.
Squad wise they are the strongest. They lack what PSG lack - CL pedigree. Once they manage to overcome that mental hurdle their potential in that competition is frightening. Long may it continue so we don't have to suffer.

Ladron de redcafe

He means the CL surely
Yeah that makes more sense. He could also win a 12th title in a top 5 league that would bring him within 1 of Giggs's all time record.

Either way, the next trophy gives him 43 to tie Alves's all time record and winning 2 this May makes him the most decorated player ever.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah that makes more sense. He could also win a 12th title in a top 5 league that would bring him within 1 of Giggs's all time record.

Either way, the next trophy gives him 43 to tie Alves's all time record and winning 2 this May makes him the most decorated player ever.
The league dominance coming in what was the best league in the world for that decade against an excellent rival in RM is particularly impressive. I know many tend to only cares about the CL but for me league success is incredibly important (which is why the Pl has always been the priority in my mind).

Ladron de redcafe

The league dominance coming in what was the best league in the world for that decade against an excellent rival in RM is particularly impressive. I know many tend to only cares about the CL but for me league success is incredibly important (which is why the Pl has always been the priority in my mind).
A lot of people see it the way you do, which is why Sir Alex Ferguson is rated as highly as he is.
I agree with your comment. Not sure how it compares to Giggs's titles on the balance, but a lot of the Liga titles Messi led Barcelona to (particularly when they didn't have the same squad that Madrid did) are going to weigh a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Its crazy he might win a 8th Ballon D'dor at 36. Still think Mpabbe and Haaland are more likely.

Pintu

Here are the PSG fans chanting Messi's name in yesterday's match:
Yes. That's when he scored the goal.. But apparently they were expecting them to go thank the fans after the game and they didn't. If I'm not mistaken, it is the first home game for both him and Neymar since the WC... Or Neymar case, it is the first one he has the opportunity to share with the fans afterward (Got red card in the previous one).