Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Going by how they have played together so far Mpabbe has been far better in the biggest cl games. Messi has been average or poor tbh.
Well, Messi's age is more noticeable in the UCL since the game is way faster there than in international football.

I still think Messi is favoured to win Balloon D'Or because of the World Cup, only an insane knockout stage performances by Mbappe ending with PSG winning the whole thing would take the balloon from a fresh WC winner Messi...but i don't even think PSG will beat Bayern, so Messi 8th balloon is secured.

IFC 1905

Eight BDO is absolutely insane. Ronaldo's 5 is already insane, but think about 8.

In 20 years time we will get the real dimension these guys had.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Mpabbe has been the standout performer in the big games in the cl they have shared. Apart from Messi's debut goal vs City he's been average or wank against the biggest teams in the cl. If he starts performing to his best level against the biggest teams Messi will win another Ballon D'or for sure though.
He will win it anyway

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Doesnt count because he did it with his comfort zone team

jm99

Messi is still top five but at this point surely Mbappe is the best in the world.
Martinez at 20 is the real ridiculous one from that list, I think I remember the stats showed he wasn't anything special except for penalty shoot outs, but he's in the top 20 in the world. Mbappe should be top for the calendar year 2022, Messi probably deserves it if it's just for the first half of this season but that doesn't seem to be the case

Last edited:

slored1

Messi is still top five but at this point surely Mbappe is the best in the world.
Kolo Muani scores in the final and Mbappe would take the top spot. That's how ridiculous and arbitrary these rankings are.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Kolo Muani scores in the final and Mbappe would take the top spot. That's how ridiculous and arbitrary these rankings are.
Yeah, Mbappe is better than Messi now, but Messi is still a top 5 player for sure.

Anyways this balloon D'Or is for Messi, the WC just gave him the award, Mbappe would need an insane run in the UCL scoring in every game until the final, and ending the run lifting the UCL with PSG... that's the only way he wins the next Balloon.

Ladron de redcafe

Doesnt count because he did it with his comfort zone team

The way he's toying with them there is just insane :lol:

Anyways this balloon D'Or is for Messi, the WC just gave him the award, Mbappe would need an insane run in the UCL scoring in every game until the final, and ending the run lifting the UCL with PSG... that's the only way he wins the next Balloon.
Yeah he's deservedly the front runner for a record extending 8th Ballon dor.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yeah, Mbappe is better than Messi now, but Messi is still a top 5 player for sure.

That won't work either because every trophy Mbappe wins, Messi also wins. And most of the goals he would be scoring on this 'insane run' would be set up by Messi.

Gehrman

Doing the top 5 leagues thing is just a way to make Ronnies 5 goals for Sporting not count.

cyberman

Is there a specific time frame when top 5 leagues become thing? Does it become top 6 when Portugal overtakes France?

Ladron de redcafe

I am amazed that we still find records for him to break.
I don't think he's concerned about any of these cumulative records. He completed football. His biggest goal was to lead his country to the world cup and he not only did it, but did it by becoming the all time world cup leader in goal contribution, by becoming the only man with multiple golden balls, by becoming the only man to score in every KO round, and by becoming the only man to MOTM in every round.

It's fun to see the latest records that he breaks, but as you put it, it's really "us" finding the latest records for him to break.

The only 2 records of importance for him left to break are the all time Ballon d'or record (to break the tie with Pelé's retrospectively awarded 7) and the all time trophies record (which he'll tie or surpass at the end of the season, barring a catastrophic end to the season).

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think he's concerned about any of these cumulative records. He completed football. His biggest goal was to lead his country to the world cup and he not only did it, but did it by becoming the all time world cup leader in goal contribution, by becoming the only man with multiple golden balls, by becoming the only man to score in every KO round, and by becoming the only man to MOTM in every round.

It's fun to see the latest records that he breaks, but as you put it, it's really "us" finding the latest records for him to break.

The only 2 records of importance for him left to break are the all time Ballon d'or record (to break the tie with Pelé's retrospectively awarded 7) and the all time trophies record (which he'll tie or surpass at the end of the season, barring a catastrophic end to the season).
I absolutely agree, especially on the bold part.
For example he never clung to the idea that he had to take every penalty and often let others shoot them.

Ladron de redcafe

I assumed Ronaldo but have more club goals than Messi if we include Sporting.
If we include the Sporting years, then Messi is 4 goals away having played 116 less matches than the other guy. So he will break that within a month or so. He'll shatter it.

But not sure why it matters, given that the Portugese league wasn't a top 5 league those days. And the latest record was the all time record for most goals in top 5 leagues.

Ladron de redcafe

I absolutely agree, especially on the bold part.
For example he never clung to the idea that he had to take every penalty and often let others shoot them.
And it's amazing to see his scoring record despite the fact thay as you mentioned, he never seemed bothered about stuff like penalties and he has given plenty of his teammates spot kicks.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A player like him typically doesn't score that much. In contrast to others who have such goal records (Cristiano, Salah (over a short period), Mbappe, Haaland, Lewandowski, Suarez), his goals almost happen as a byproduct while he's more focused on making the right plays than scoring bucket loads of goals. Almost as if you take a 5 goals 10 assists playmaker from a first division team and drop him into a five division team where he scores 40 goals a season just because it's so easy for him. Only that Messi already played at the highest level possible.

Gehrman

Pelé was never awarded any ballon dors in retrospect, they just acknowledged that he would have won 7. You could say its the same thing, but i dont quite think they are.

jm99

Pelé was never awarded any ballon dors in retrospect, they just acknowledged that he would have won 7. You could say its the same thing, but i dont quite think they are.
Its definitely not the same thing, you just have to look at 2018 to see someone, who was good, but only won because people didn't want the same winners, Messi wasn't the 5th best player in that calendar year either even ignoring the winner so voter fatigue would have affected Pele in the same way it has for the two of this generation

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
messi fanboys, come back when your boy manages to level the tie with a last minute penalty in the pressure cooker environment of the saudi league.

Idxomer

Another one to his collection.

He really is the best finisher of all time.

Gehrman

Guy scores so many goals outside the box.

IFC 1905

Could have an olympic goal today, post denied.

And another one at the end, post denied.

I feel he's been so unlucky with the posts in PSG era.

Ladron de redcafe

Either way, the 8th this year would settle that and has a really good chance of doing that.

Another one to his collection.

He really is the best finisher of all time.
That was his 88th (!) goal from outside the box, not including penalties. He really is ridiculous :lol:

Bondathon

Either way, the 8th this year would settle that and has a really good chance of doing that.

That was his 88th (!) goal from outside the box, not including penalties. He really is ridiculous :lol:
How many penalties has he scored from outside the box?