Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We’re not gonna get to find out how good Pochettino is, then.

Ixion

And so Messi turns out to only give a shit about money.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
So will the great Poch be able to elevate his PSG side to the title this season or will Lille still have the edge?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He doesn't have much to prove against top English teams, he's given every one of them a top performance at least once in his career.
Whilst playing with the Spanish National team playing peak possesion football.

Compare that to the 4-0 losses he had vs Liverpool etc recently, people talk like English teams never beat Messi.

Such poor ambition and its why I never been wowed by his achievements, more just the technique of his football.

DutchCruijff

Regardless of what some say here, his legacy WILL take a hit for many if he doesn't deliver a UCL for PSG. I don't think Argentina have a chance for WC '22 so can scratch that out, European nations just too far ahead.

As for PSG, it's a bit of a dent that he's gone to a "plastic", soulless club but no UCL, despite the talent he's surrounded with, will feed into the argument of "very dependent on Barca quality, Xavi-Iniesta".

For many, of course, it will make no difference. But on the other hand, for many, a failure in the UCL will mean his legacy is damaged.

It's a shame he never moved to the PL. Most competitive league in the world and the strongest league I've seen since Serie A 90s-early 00s. A behemoth as it stands.

And for what it's worth, I don't think PSG do it this year. Poch isn't good enough to deliver a UCL and the team is very unbalanced, a front three who are very defensively negligent.

Reactions: Penna

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Compare that to the 4-0 losses he had vs Liverpool etc recently, people talk like English teams never beat Messi.

Such poor ambition and its why I never been wowed by his achievements, more just the technique of his football.
Didnt he play in the game before that where he was the key reason Barca beat Liverpool in the first place?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

So his excellent personal performances are only due to his team, and his weaker performances are due to him alone?

Ok.

MadMike

He doesn't have much to prove against top English teams, he's given every one of them a top performance at least once in his career.
Prove =/= challenge.

He's obviously proven. He's also clearly chosen the money over a continuing challenge. I don't blame him for it, I'm just stating facts.

Hughes35

Works out at over 1million a week in wages..... Absolutely bonkers.

TheLiverBird

And so Messi turns out to only give a shit about money.
There may have been other interest, but as far as I’m aware PSG were the only Club to put a formal package offer on the table

The new seasons about to start…..what’s Messi supposed to do? Sit and wait?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Interesting team to say the least. That CL campaign next season will be Awesome. If he wins it with them, he will be even more legendary
Agreed, he can’t win. If he’d gone to city people would accuse him of trophy whoring/stat padding. If he wins PSG their first CL though he’ll enhance what he’s already done, and they’re not far away.

Ladron de redcafe

Prove =/= challenge.

He's obviously proven. He's also clearly chosen the money over a continuing challenge. I don't blame him for it, I'm just stating facts.
What facts? He's laid waste to every top English team. Why would joining City, for example, be more of a challenge than joining a team that didn't win league 1 last season?

The premier League isn't the be all, end all.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Actually saddens me a bit towards Messi. All about the money. Earned astronomical wages at Barca and now they are in a financial mess he wouldnt drop to an average wage to see out his career there and instead goes to the oil money club in the French league because they offer the most money

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So his excellent personal performances are only due to his team, and his weaker performances are due to him alone?

Ok.
Exactly everyone rides him up as if he did it all by himself when beating these English teams after they see a wonder goal vs getafe.

LALiga only ever had 2.5 competitive teams a year. That is all he played. Now he is going to Ligue 1 where there is not a single competitive team in that league in equality to quality.

Such a poor league. So so poor. There are benefits to playing in such a league because when Lukaku has started losing his confidence after playing vs Leicester, Manchester United Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and the new bred Aston Villa - he will struggle vs this new PSG who have hardly had anything competitive to compete in and everyone will be talking about how Messi is fantastic vs the English teams :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's interesting because players are criticized when they don't move to a better team because they allegedly fear competition, they are criticized when they move to better teams because they lack loyalty or shy away from challenge, they are laughed at when they don't maximize their revenues and are called dummies, they are also criticized when they do maximize their revenues because they are greedy.

Basically if a player doesn't join your club, he has a character flaw.

cyberman

What facts? He's laid waste to every top English team. Why would joining City, for example, be more of a challenge than joining a team that didn't win league 1 last season?

Because France has a 4th tier league. Compared to France, England is the be all and end all.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
If he had come to the EPL for City then he'd be challenging himself against United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.

France doesn't have any teams at that level beyond PSG. He's actually chosen to "challenge" himself against the Brentfords and Norwichs of France. He's gone to a farmers' league in a Bugatti.
He wrecked every single team you mentioned in the CL. He's got nothing to prove.

He's going to PSG for a last shot at the CL and stay fit for the WC 2022. After that maybe a season at Newell Old Boys (his boyhood club) and that's it imo. Enjoy him and CR7, there's not much time left.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Because he would be facing better players in the PL. However I find the couldn't do it in the PL mute when he's destroyed the top English teams in the PL multiple times throughout his career. He even has the most completed dribbles in a CL match ever against the best defensive Man Utd side of all time.

Matt007a

If he'd gone there at 29/30 then the digs about the weaker league would be fair, but at 34 I don't blame him for going to PSG given their chances of winning the CL.

His legacy is already cemented and the weird agenda that it only counts if he does it in the PL is nonsense.

SuperiorXI

Who is gonna track back in their team? Messi is another one that isn't arsed to track back. Surely they're wide open to the counter.

Maybe they're not arsed due to the firepower.

Ixion

This deal was concluded really fast for someone who's contract's must be really complicated for all the sponsorship deals and things and was crying 1.5 days ago saying he didn't know which club he was going to.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Isn't that still only half of what he was making at Barca or something?

Messi for two years at 60m a year doesn't seem that bad to me!

RUCK4444

PSG paying Messi, Neymar, Ramos and Mbappe wages. What a piss-take FFP is.
This, tbh I have zero interest in Messi battering pub teams in a farmers league.

At least Ronnie went to a respectable club in a decent-ish league to test himself a bit.

Would love the latter to come to the PL and win it one more time with us whilst PSG continue to struggle to win a CL.