Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ronaldo has dominated all 3 of the biggest leagues on the planet ... that includes adjusting to playing philosophy, external environment, country culture, teammates, languages, food, club management, training systems, etc.
Messi on the other hand has remained in his pond, hunting the likes of Huesca, Gijon and Las Palmas ... God forbid should he have to make even a minor tactical adjustment (see Zlatan, Griezmann) in order to play with others. Now he joins a totally stacked team in a third rate division.
There's a specific thread for those Messi vs Ronaldo discussions we've heard a million times.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I felt that Neymar partly left Barcelona because he wanted to show that his success wasn't only from playing with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi - that he could do it himself at another club. It's questionable if this has happened or not.

I wonder if Neymar has some bad mentality pop up in the future from Messi joining PSG.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Kind of incredible he is already training with PSG and meanwhile Varane is still nowhere to be seen.
I felt that Neymar partly left Barcelona because he wanted to show that his success wasn't only from playing with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi - that he could do it himself at another club. It's questionable if this has happened or not.

I wonder if Neymar has some bad mentality pop up in the future from Messi joining PSG.
I think Neymar realized you can't win a CL that easily and being the main man. He had four years to try, and the understanding him and Messi had was so special, I can completely understand wanting that back. I don't think it will become a problem anyways because Messi will potentially be gone halfway through Neymar's contract with PSG, but even if he stuck around, I don't think being in Messi's shadow (for however long Messi can keep dominating in his mid-30's) will be as much of an issue for him now than it may have been when he was a younger man.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Neymar as been publicly pushing for Messi at PSG for 2 years now, and before that he wanted to go back to Barcelona to play with him again. So i wouldn't worry too much about that.

VanKenny

There are 10 year old kids making millions on youtube and twitch, fortnite tournaments awarding 5M to the winner (usually teenagers), and you still have people on redcafe doubting that Messi joinging PSG could get them that amount of money reported:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There are 10 year old kids making millions on youtube and twitch, fortnite tournaments awarding 5M to the winner (usually teenagers), and you still have people on redcafe doubting that Messi joinging PSG could get them that amount of money reported:lol:
Being a teenager is irrelevant, youtube and twitch videos can be monetized and when they are you can earn a fair bit of money. Social media engagements are for the most part not monetized.

VanKenny

Being a teenager is irrelevant, youtube and twitch videos can be monetized and when they are you can earn a fair bit of money. Social media engagements are for the most part not monetized.

My point wasnt to directly compare how the two make money, i know its not the same exact way. My point is to put things into context and change the old timer's perspective in here, we live in an era where people make a pretty damn good living by posting or uploading random things to the internet, which engages people into viewing more things.

If you think businesses like football clubs, especially PSG out of all clubs, cant find ways to maximize this effect and heavily monetize from it, then i dont know what to tell you. The greatest of all time, current best in the world and Balon D or most likely winner, right after being the name of the summer after winning his first national team trophy, leaving his lifetime club and joining PSG making it the best club in the world team-wise. Thats going to have a huge effect on their marketing, and online marketing is the most productive one right now.

JPRouve

Scout
My point wasnt to directly compare how the two make money, i know its not the same exact way. My point is to put things into context and change the old timer's perspective in here, we live in an era where people make a pretty damn good living by posting or uploading random things to the internet, which engages people into viewing more things.

If you think businesses like football clubs, especially PSG out of all clubs, cant find ways to maximize this effect and heavily monetize from it, then i dont know what to tell you.
Most of the links and tweets are not created nor driven by PSG,, they don't lead to them and they are not the ones getting money from it, for the most parts it's newspapers and it's nowhere near 48m in 24 hours. This is somehow worse than the shirt sales myth.

Just to put in context, if I'm not mistaken Youtube made around 55m/day in 2020.

Skeezix

Would love it if we end up in the same group with PSG for CL again.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Most of the links and tweets are not created nor driven by PSG,, they don't lead to them and they are not the ones getting money from it, for the most parts it's newspapers and it's nowhere near 48m in 24 hours. This is somehow worse than the shirt sales myth.

Just to put in context, if I'm not mistaken Youtube made around 55m/day in 2020.
I don't really know where the confusion is from, i specifically said it was not to be mixed up with real revenues. The numbers are just a rough estimate of the exposure the brands benefited from.

If accurate, it can be used as a sale argument to negotiate with new partners though but there's not a lot more than that.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't really know where the confusion is from, i specifically said it was not to be mixed up with real revenues. The numbers are just a rough estimate of the exposure the brands benefited from.

If accurate, it can be used as a sale argument to negotiate with new partners though but there's not a lot more than that.
Unless you have two accounts the post wasn't for you.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
Would love it if we end up in the same group with PSG for CL again.
Not possible, PSG and MU are in the same pot.
Pot 2 seems stronger than pot 1:

Pot 1 (Champions League and Europa League title holders, and top six champions by association rank)
Pot 2

kc7

Ronaldo has dominated all 3 of the biggest leagues on the planet ... that includes adjusting to playing philosophy, external environment, country culture, teammates, languages, food, club management, training systems, etc.
Messi on the other hand has remained in his pond, hunting the likes of Huesca, Gijon and Las Palmas ... God forbid should he have to make even a minor tactical adjustment (see Zlatan, Griezmann) in order to play with others. Now he joins a totally stacked team in a third rate division.
Yeah, he totally dominated La Liga with 2 league titles and 2 Copa Del Rey's vs Messi's total of 6 La Liga & 7 Copa Del Rey's in 9 years. Another reflection of his domination of La Liga is his single best player of the year award (the same number as Griezmann has) vs Messi's 6, again in 9 years))..

And as if Juve needed someone to dominate the league.. if anything, Juve lost their complete domination with Ronaldo in Serie A after 10 years barely making it to the CL finishing 4th.. Not surprising as the guy has a very poor league record considering the teams he is playing for and managers he is working with.. Interestingly, they also lost their edge (2 CL finals in the last 4 years prior to his arrival) in the CLs transforming into a team that could not go beyond QFs (losing against likes of Lyon, 10-man Porto, Ajax)... Really impressive domination..

Finally, if you wanna discuss your boy's achievements vs Messi's, there is another thread as someone else said..

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Get this Ronaldo vs. Messi crap out of this thread please.

Ladron de redcafe

This isn't the thread to discuss Ronaldo, who isn't relevant in a Messi thread, but your boy certainly didn't dominate La Liga because it was Messi winning all those Ligas when Ronaldo was there, and most definitely hasn't dominated Italy in any capacity whatsoever.

You're free to argue how trailing Messi statistically, in Pichicis, in La Ligas means that your boy dominated La Liga in the Messi Vs Ronald thread, if you'd like.

mshnsh

You spout ALOT of Nonsense.

Its not like Ronaldo joined Inter and helped them over come Juventus. Its the other way round and he did not improve them at all.

Same for his time in Spain. Its not like he joined Atletico and help break the duopoly. If anything, he was never the outstanding player in la liga (but for possibly 1 season?) whereas Messi was always the single most dominant force there regardless of his teammates or opponents.

At Manchester United, he was playing for one of the best teams in Europe and England. United made it to a final of UCL and won Premier league titles even after he left.

Your attempt to downplay Messi's greatness is laughable and is only suggests that you are a Cristiano fan boy.

Having said that, unlike you, I actually also appreciate Ronaldo's greatness in what he has achieved though his career. Ronaldo is top 5 ever, Messi is top 2 or best ever in my eyes.

Last edited:

mshnsh

He left because he is stupid. It makes sense to move to PSG in twilight if his career but he moved in his prime.

Neymar wanted to return to Barcelona to play with Messi hence was holding off signing his contract but he obviously realised they could no longer afford him so instead he stayed (this is what I think happened when the contract talks had been stopped for a while last season) and has been pushing for Messi to move the other way since last season.

Pocho

Interesting but wrong thread.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Now he will hunt the likes of Angers and Brest.

mu4c_20le

This isn't the thread for messi vs ronaldo, but first let me write a six page thesis on why you are wrong and why Messi is indeed the greatest since Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin.

kc7

This isn't the thread for messi vs ronaldo, but first let me write a six page thesis on why you are wrong and why Messi is indeed the greatest since Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin.
Yeah, right, maybe that is because this thread is specifically about Messi and his PSG journey?? It is very normal to receive a reaction if you start talking BS like a provoking troll about Messi in a Messi focused thread..Also, just wondering if you have any complaints about his trolling attitude in this thread... the level of hypocrisy..

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

My suspicions have been proven correct that it was indeed Messi who was holding back Martin Braithwaite at Barca.

tomaldinho1

My suspicions have been proven correct that it was indeed Messi who was holding back Martin Braithwaite at Barca.
Braithwaite on track to smash Messi’s LL goals record. All whilst Messi has 0 goals and 0 assists in the farmers league.

Skeezix

Not possible, PSG and MU are in the same pot.
Pot 2 seems stronger than pot 1:

Pot 1 (Champions League and Europa League title holders, and top six champions by association rank)
Pot 2
Completely forgot PSG failed to win Ligue 1 this time. Hah!

Knockout stages it is then!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Delusional. Now jog on to the Messi vs Ronaldo thread.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mate, Messi showed much more tactical flexibility over the course of his career than Cristiano and if you don't see this, you really shouldn't talk about tactics.

VanKenny

He's most likely going to play a few minutes on friday, despite everything that is being said about him playing until the 29.

He's as competitive as it gets, and hes training with the rest of the team's schedule like normal. After seeing Barca's game last weekend, im sure he cant wait to play too.

tomaldinho1

Mate, Messi showed much more tactical flexibility over the course of his career than Cristiano and if you don't see this, you really shouldn't talk about tactics.
No derailing the thread! Messi v Ronaldo can stay firmly in the festering pit of its own thread please.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hatrick for Argentina. First two goals were just absurd. The nutmeg and curler for the first and dummy for the second. Incredible.

Edit - it wasn't a dummy, the shot was blocked and he got another chance. It seemed a little too perfect tbh.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

That 1st goal he scored is one of his best ever which is saying something.

Absolutely ridiculous placement of the shot.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really love that first goal. It’s like peak Messi.