Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I hate to say it but Messi looks absolutely washed at PSG.

I'm watching him against Lille and he hasn't done anything right at all.

He just looks slow and weak these days, sad to see.
To be fair he looked pretty bad at the beginning of the season last year as well. But yeah, he is disapointing so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@Adam-Utd

Yeah, I am one of his biggest fans but it's actually painful to watch how poor he is.

Strolls around the pitch, doesn't do any work off the ball, loses the ball and lets the guy walk past him like he doesn't even care few times already, if I was his teammate I'd be seriously pissed with that.

It will be interesting to hear the stories one day why wasn't he doing any running without the ball, I could understand it when he was a forward who was scoring for fun and doing lot of dribbling so he had to save energy for that, but these days there's really no point, it's like they are playing with 10 men, I am surprised he doesn't look embarassed in front of his teammates who are doing the running around him.
Agreed. There was 1 counter where he was right next to Sanches and he just stopped and let him run off.

I get Messi needs to retain his stamina for attacks but it's crazy how much of a free ride he gets. He really needs to be putting up big numbers to make up for it.
To be fair he looked pretty bad at the beginning of the season last year as well. But yeah, he is disapointing so far.
I didn't see much of him at Barca in the last year or 2, but he's certainly dropped a level. People talk like Ligue 1 is is a farmers league but he seems to be struggling way more here than he ever did in Spain.

Messi is injured, subbed off at halftime
tactical injury no doubt.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I can't see PSG games with my tv package. But Messi's transfer has been really dissapointing so far.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Even before today, he's looked poor.

He has declined a lot this season.
Players like Messi don't decline in 2 months, there is several factors. As I previously said, he really started his season in december last year at Barcelona. He takes him more time to get back in shape now that he's aging, especially since he signed in another club and COPA took a toll.

Eddy_JukeZ

Players like Messi don't decline in 2 months, there is several factors. As I previously said, he really started his season in december last year at Barcelona. He takes him more time to get back in shape now that he's aging, especially since he signed in another club and COPA took a toll.
It doesn't matter if it's Messi.

Sometimes the legs just can't do what the mind wants.

It can happen out of nowhere.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It doesn't matter if it's Messi.

Sometimes the legs just can't do what the mind wants.

It can happen out of nowhere.
He was amazing against Uruguay 2 weeks ago, you're burrying far to quickly in my opinion. As I said, it's not the 1st time Messi has a slow start.

Pickle85

Could it be something to do with him playing outside of his Barca comfort zone too?

Pickle85

With different coaches and players all the time. And a different system to Barca.
But one over which he casts an enormously long shadow and one that has, again, been built around him. All I'm saying is it's possible that he struggles outside of setups he's grown up being the centre of. No shame in that

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Has he declined from his peak Barcelona days? Of course. But that isn't the issue. The issue is how he's being used by Poch, IMO.

Zen

Nah, after like 4 seasons of being in a team that was ultra reliant on him to even remotely compete on a domestic level.... he's loving the coasting he can now do to free medals and then he'll rock up in the CL/WC a bit more. Though I'm pretty certain this PSG team will hit a brick wall at some point in the CL given they'll have 3 forwards who well.... don't want to press. Although I'd guess by the time it matters, Poch will be able to drop one of them(Mbappe as he'll be clearly leaving by then) for ADM.

It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as Sunday as United had more or less 4 forwards who don't really wanna press..... but I'd fancy Liverpool to handle them with relative ease, as well as Chelsea. Unless exceptional talent comes through and everything comes off.... and given you got 3 exceptionally talented players, there's potential for that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nah, the reality is that Ligue 1 has always been the best league in Football and Messi is discovering it the hard way.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Maybe he just loved Barca an Argentina and couldn’t give two shits about PSG?
It’s possible, I feel like he’s a lot more focused with the NT than club level these days. But I also thing Poch is playing him way too far out near the touch line.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nah, the reality is that Ligue 1 has always been the best league in Football and Messi is discovering it the hard way.
Those are some world class farmers there that's for sure

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nah, after like 4 seasons of being in a team that was ultra reliant on him to even remotely compete on a domestic level.... he's loving the coasting he can now do to free medals and then he'll rock up in the CL/WC a bit more. Though I'm pretty certain this PSG team will hit a brick wall at some point in the CL given they'll have 3 forwards who well.... don't want to press. Although I'd guess by the time it matters, Poch will be able to drop one of them(Mbappe as he'll be clearly leaving by then) for ADM.

It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as Sunday as United had more or less 4 forwards who don't really wanna press..... but I'd fancy Liverpool to handle them with relative ease, as well as Chelsea. Unless exceptional talent comes through and everything comes off.... and given you got 3 exceptionally talented players, there's potential for that.
By the time it will matter, if they don't use Mbappe then they will have no chance of winning the CL.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Played the false 9 role today and didn't look that great. Seems like I might be wrong in my initial assumption and Pochettino was right to test him as the inverted right winger. But, one game is just a small sample. Some fans think this is like playing fifa. It is much harder to strike a balance in the real world and it will be interesting to see which position Messi thrive in, if he does ever thrive at psg.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This. He is honestly struggling with the physicality. So many times I've seen him get brushed aside :eek:
It's because he is hardly moving, not because he is weak in general, IMO. At his best he would push aside very strong defenenders, we all know he is usually very strong on his feet, but these days he is not even trying.

Btw, French league has always been good defensively though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This. He is honestly struggling with the physicality. So many times I've seen him get brushed aside :eek:
Always thought the French league was a very physical league. Don’t think Messi has come to terms with it yet. But I’m sure he will

Hoof the ball

Posted this in the cesspit that is the Messi Vs. Ronaldo thread. @Daysleeper and the Barca boys might find this interesting.

-------------------------------

Ok. We should probably keep in mind that Appearances Made is an unusual stat to go on since not all appearances are equal. So, let's go with minutes played and then base them on that.

Minutes Played
Ronaldo - 88,469
Messi - 77,076

Messi has roughly 11,000 less career minutes than Cristiano. That's about 122 full 90 minute games more that Ronaldo has played than Messi. You have to keep this in mind when you look at stats. It's all relative to minutes they actually played that matters.

Career Goals
Ronaldo - 798
Messi - 755

Ronaldo has more goals, however, having played around 10,000 more minutes, Messi has the superior goals per game ratio. I'll further highlight who statistically comes out on top in each category in bold.

Goals Per Game
Ronaldo - 0.73
Messi - 0.80

Minutes Per Goal

Ronaldo - 110.9
Messi - 102.1

Career Assists

Ronaldo - 227
Messi - 315

Mins Per Goal/Assist

Ronaldo - 86.3
Messi - 72.0

Hattricks

Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 55

Free Kick Goals
Ronaldo - 56
Messi - 58

Outside the Box Goals (Non free-kick)

Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 78

Inside the Box

Ronaldo - 543
Messi - 518

Headers
Ronaldo - 139
Messi - 26

Expected Goals (XG)
Ronaldo - 214.41 (Scored 9 more goals than he should have.)
Messi - 192.37 (Scored 36.8 more goals than he should have.)

Shots Per Goal

Ronaldo - 6.41
Messi - 5.09

% of Shots on Target

Ronaldo - 41.3%
Messi - 48.0%

Successful Dribbles

Ronaldo - 1,615
Messi - 2,895

Key Passes

Ronaldo - 863
Messi - 1,207

Free Kick Conversion

Ronaldo - 5.9%
Messi - 9.2%

Man of the Match Awards

Ronaldo - 163
Messi - 291

Statistically, based on performances on a minute-per-minute basis, as well as absolute basis, Messi currently is ahead on 13 of 17 categories. Ronaldo is ahead on some statistics that are heavily skewed in his favour due to absolute minutes played over and above the minutes Messi has played. If Messi had played 11,000 more minutes then just about every statistic would be won by Messi with the exception of headers and possibly penalty conversion rate.

What about CL Groups and Knockout?

Ronaldo - 114 mins per goal. 88 mins per goal contribution.
Messi - 102 mins per goal. 80 mins per goal contribution.

CL Finals?

Ronaldo - 158 mins per goal. 126 mins per goal contribution.
Messi - 135 mins per goal. 135 mins per goal contribution.

Also, lest anyone forgets, Messi just won the Copa America with:

5 games.
4 goals.
5 assists.
4 MOTM awards.

That's before anyone who saw Barca last season, 8 points down at December, reminds you about how many game winning goals and assists Messi provided from December until end of season. There was no dispute about Messi scooping up Ballon D'or after the Copa America; not until the PSG move.

What sort of utter loon brings that shit from a thread he calls a "cesspit" to try turning poor Leo's PSG thread into the same bollocks? "hey look, that thread is a fecking cesspit, let's bring that wank discussion in here" :houllier:

Or did you just think that crap load of stats was just that important it was worth ruining another thread for? :rolleyes:

Back on track, how long is Messi out for? Was hoping it was just a slight twinge when he had to come off but see he's missing again tonight?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What sort of utter loon brings that shit from a thread he calls a "cesspit" to try turning poor Leo's PSG thread into the same bollocks? "hey look, that thread is a fecking cesspit, let's bring that wank discussion in here" :houllier:

Or did you just think that crap load of stats was just that important it was worth ruining another thread for? :rolleyes:

Back on track, how long is Messi out for? Was hoping it was just a slight twinge when he had to come off but see he's missing again tonight?
:lol:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Posted this in the cesspit that is the Messi Vs. Ronaldo thread. @Daysleeper and the Barca boys might find this interesting.

Ok. We should probably keep in mind that Appearances Made is an unusual stat to go on since not all appearances are equal. So, let's go with minutes played and then base them on that.

Minutes Played
Ronaldo - 88,469
Messi - 77,076

Messi has roughly 11,000 less career minutes than Cristiano. That's about 122 full 90 minute games more that Ronaldo has played than Messi. You have to keep this in mind when you look at stats. It's all relative to minutes they actually played that matters.

Career Goals
Ronaldo - 798
Messi - 755

Ronaldo has more goals, however, having played around 10,000 more minutes, Messi has the superior goals per game ratio. I'll further highlight who statistically comes out on top in each category in bold.

Goals Per Game
Ronaldo - 0.73
Messi - 0.80

Minutes Per Goal

Ronaldo - 110.9
Messi - 102.1

Career Assists

Ronaldo - 227
Messi - 315

Mins Per Goal/Assist

Ronaldo - 86.3
Messi - 72.0

Hattricks

Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 55

Free Kick Goals
Ronaldo - 56
Messi - 58

Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 78

Inside the Box

Ronaldo - 543
Messi - 518

Headers
Ronaldo - 139
Messi - 26

Expected Goals (XG)

Shots Per Goal

Ronaldo - 6.41
Messi - 5.09

% of Shots on Target

Ronaldo - 41.3%
Messi - 48.0%

Successful Dribbles

Ronaldo - 1,615
Messi - 2,895

Key Passes

Ronaldo - 863
Messi - 1,207

Free Kick Conversion

Ronaldo - 5.9%
Messi - 9.2%

Man of the Match Awards

Ronaldo - 163
Messi - 291

Statistically, based on performances on a minute-per-minute basis, as well as absolute basis, Messi currently is ahead on 13 of 17 categories. Ronaldo is ahead on some statistics that are heavily skewed in his favour due to absolute minutes played over and above the minutes Messi has played. If Messi had played 11,000 more minutes then just about every statistic would be won by Messi with the exception of headers and possibly penalty conversion rate.

CL Finals?

5 games.
4 goals.
5 assists.
4 MOTM awards.

That's before anyone who saw Barca last season, 8 points down at December, reminds you about how many game winning goals and assists Messi provided from December until end of season. There was no dispute about Messi scooping up Ballon D'or after the Copa America; not until the PSG move.
Awesome find man! Some really interesting tidbits in there.

@Regulus Arcturus Black your comments crack me up haha :lol:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

He’s not going to be playing with Argentina during the international break so maybe the hamstring is a little bit worse than first thought.

Hoof the ball

Although not conclusive, stats under Koeman had Messi pressing more (and more effectively) than he'd done under both Setien and Valverde, as well as doing more defensive work, which might explain why his hamstring was ripe for injury in the Copa semi-finals. I think Pep even said that Messi had to be managed for the sake of maintaining his his injury frequency. French league is also quite tough and Poch isn't known for low-running players in his teams.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Minutes Played
Ronaldo - 88,469
Messi - 77,076

Career Goals
Ronaldo - 798
Messi - 755

Goals Per Game
Ronaldo - 0.73
Messi - 0.80

Minutes Per Goal

Ronaldo - 110.9
Messi - 102.1

Career Assists

Ronaldo - 227
Messi - 315

Mins Per Goal/Assist

Ronaldo - 86.3
Messi - 72.0

Hattricks

Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 55

Free Kick Goals
Ronaldo - 56
Messi - 58

Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 78

Inside the Box

Ronaldo - 543
Messi - 518

Headers
Ronaldo - 139
Messi - 26

Expected Goals (XG)

Shots Per Goal

Ronaldo - 6.41
Messi - 5.09

% of Shots on Target

Ronaldo - 41.3%
Messi - 48.0%

Successful Dribbles

Ronaldo - 1,615
Messi - 2,895

Key Passes

Ronaldo - 863
Messi - 1,207

Free Kick Conversion

Ronaldo - 5.9%
Messi - 9.2%

Man of the Match Awards

Ronaldo - 163
Messi - 291

CL Finals?

5 games.
4 goals.
5 assists.
4 MOTM awards.

Where's the data from?

tomaldinho1

Please don’t derail this. Keep the Ronaldo v Messi never ending bickering to that thread.