Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Pocho

He is doing very well in the CL but suddenly it 's
irrelevant.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They bought him for the CL, they don't give a toss about the Ligue 1 because their 2nd/3rd choice attackers can walk that for them.

He's a part-time footballer essentially.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Waiting for the excuses his fans come up with when PSG are inevitably knocked out of CL round of 16 or quarters.

Early predictions: They'll blame it all on Poch

They're looking worse in the CL than they did in previous years. No balance in the lineup. Will cost them when it matters the most.

mu4c_20le

Does he still play professional football?

He needs to take better care of himself

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Does he still play professional football?

He needs to take better care of himself
He just started playing professional football recently. Before that, he played a wholly different sport to everyone else. Personally I hope he reverts to playing whatever you want to call the thing he did for the majority of his career once he's been fit for a.sustained period of time.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Honestly, what a waste. PSG are wrecking teams without him. He wasn't even needed there. Messi really blew it by not joining city. The premier league would have been quite exciting with Messi playing every week.

Pocho

Nothing to prove to anybody in any aspect of the game. He's been the best since 2007 and all he gives now is just a bonus. Same for CR. He was the best goalscorer and now he has nothing to prove at 37. Just enjoy that they are still playing.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He rarely gets a consistent run of games. His goal return in the league is abysmal though considering that it's Messi we are talking about. I had expected somewhere between 20-25 goals. I doubt he'll get 10 goals in the league atm.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Moving at his age to the most physically demanding league in Europe was pretty silly. PSG could carry him easily. But not while carrying Neymar and Mbappe alongside him.

dinostar77

Scored 1 goal in the league.

People expected him to shit on Ligue 1, but it just shows it's never as simple as that.

It really does make you wonder why he's struggling out there so badly.
Wow. 1 goal. Jees. Flop of the season then?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow. 1 goal. Jees. Flop of the season then?
I'd definitely say so considering he's probably the goat. I know he was slowing down a little but that was a shock to anybody I think.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I'd definitely say so considering he's probably the goat. I know he was slowing down a little but that was a shock to anybody I think.
Not really, his second half of last season + COPA was top tier after a pretty rough start. I wouldn't burry him yet.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Scored 1 goal in the league.

People expected him to shit on Ligue 1, but it just shows it's never as simple as that.

It really does make you wonder why he's struggling out there so badly.
1. He is in poor form.
2. Having played in same team same league under same style over past 17 years, he may have found it a bit difficult to adapt to another team/league/style, especially when it isn’t build around his strength.
3. He is getting old, and is approaching retirement.
4. He doesn’t care Ligue 1, it’s a pointless league anyway.
5. He has not been fully recovered from injuries.

Those are the main reasons most would believe to be the case. Pick one, or any, or all of it. I think it’s probably a bit of both.

Last edited:

WButlerMU

In my opinion, if we call things by their proper names, Lionel is simply not interested in playing in the French league after the Primera, he is only motivated for the Champions League games. And for Paris themselves, it's more of a commercial transfer than a sporting one...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
2. Having played in same team same league under same style over past 17 years
Not really true. Barca played different styles throughout the years and Messi's roles varied greatly at times.

I think people underestimate the risks of a change of clubs. It doesn't matter how good you are, there's always a certain probability that it takes a bit of time to connect with your new team mates.

Also, Messi has had a few slow starts into the season since turning 30. Especially after international tournaments.

Rojow

I wonder if people who are posting really see how he is playing or are only seeing stats. Stats meaning goals only.

Gehrman

In my opinion, if we call things by their proper names, Lionel is simply not interested in playing in the French league after the Primera, he is only motivated for the Champions League games. And for Paris themselves, it's more of a commercial transfer than a sporting one...
I think he's definitely underperformed, but he's also struggled to get a consistent run of games due to injury/covid and stuff. However he's not getting any younger either.

Jericho

I wonder if people who are posting really see how he is playing or are only seeing stats. Stats meaning goals only.
I get the sense it's the latter. The numbers are bad (for him). But what are people taking from that? That Messi only appeared so good because he was in that Barca team, and that in reality he couldn't even cut it in the French league?

I would imagine it's a combination of him being 34, it's a new team after so many years as a one club man, and he isn't asserting himself as the player everything must go through (he doesn't have the personality I don't think) like it did at Barca.

Gehrman

I get the sense it's the latter. The numbers are bad (for him). But what are people taking from that? That Messi only appeared so good because he was in that Barca team, and that in reality he couldn't even cut it in the French league?

I would imagine it's a combination of him being 34, it's a new team after so many years as a one club man, and he isn't asserting himself as the player everything must go through (he doesn't have the personality I don't think) like it did at Barca.
He's actually done very well in creating chances and that kind of stuff. Its just his usual profilic goalscoring that hasn't happened yet.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Apparently goals is the the most notable stats. But not only that, this season his dribbling stats has dropped significantly too as compared to his previous years. He was on avg 4 to 5 dribble per game in previous years, this season he was on 2.2 in Ligue 1 and 2.8 in CL.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He gets paid and rated according to his "Messi abilities", so yeah relative to that he has indeed underperformed and hasn't been upto that mark. He contributes absolutely zilch off the ball so the output/end product for him is necessary.

But the critical moment in judging his Paris move would be in CL knockout stages. By then there won't be room for any of these excuses. The jury is still out.

Maybe playing against Real Madrid will motivate him further and bring him back to life perhaps...

Gehrman

Apparently goals is the the most notable stats. But not only that, this season his dribbling stats has dropped significantly too as compared to his previous years. He was on avg 4 to 5 dribble per game in previous years, this season he was on 2.2 in Ligue 1 and 2.8 in CL.
He had 1 game though where beat 12 players during a match in 13 attempts so he still has it in him.

Gehrman

He gets paid and rated according to his "Messi abilities", so yeah relative to that he has indeed underperformed and hasn't been upto that mark. He contributes absolutely zilch off the ball so the output/end product for him is necessary.

But the critical moment in judging his move would be in CL knockout stages. By then there won't be room for any of these excuses. The jury is still out.

Maybe playing against Real Madrid will motivate him further and bring him back to life perhaps...
Tbh he hasn't scored against Madrid since 2018 I think. IMO the last season of Messi's prime was 18/19 and even then he lacked the quickness he had at his peak.

Bogdannn

He was arguably carrying Barca and PSG have better players in most if not all positions. The difference is the system is less suited to Messi's strengths.
Not only the system, but also the league and the way the play the game.
Ligue 1 is very physical, with more body contacts and interactions, and that wears you down, you get tired faster.

I must admit I am taking delight in this move not working out good for either party.

Messi has better talent than Ronaldo but for me he’s not a better player, just my opinion. Atleast Ronaldo had the courage to come back to the PL at his age. It’s not all about skills, need heart and desire to be a true champion.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I must admit I am taking delight in this move not working out good for either party.

Messi has better talent than Ronaldo but for me he’s not a better player, just my opinion. Atleast Ronaldo had the courage to come back to the PL at his age. It’s not all about skills, need heart and desire to be a true champion.
Wrong thread, but just to reply to yet another CR7 fanboy/marketing brigate detailing the thread, no Ronaldo is not the superior player just because he plays in the EPL.
Messi is the superior player because he is not only about goals, he executes at an elite level for almost all the key areas in attack, whereas Ronaldo is just mostly about goals and marketing.

Now go to the right thread

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

The courage take is absolute BS, he just wanted out of Juventus and United were the ones who gave him a deal after City were wavering. Ronaldo just went to whoever offered and still had a CL spot which ironically may see him In Europa next season. If he leaves united after they fail to get a CL spot then that will explain a lot.

Wrong thread, but just to reply to yet anothrr CR7 fanboy detailing the thread, no Ronaldo is not the superior player just because he plays in the EPL.
Messi is the superior player because he is not only about goals, he executes at an elite level for almost all the key areas in attack, including goals, whereas Ronaldo is just mostly about goals and marketing.

I am in the correct thread! I am saying that Messi made a mistake in joining PSG (from a fan opinion point of view, not his). Was just using Ronaldo as the comparison since he’s old and just come to Pl but could also have said Cavani to be fair.

I am a huge fan of Messi. That’s why I am so bitterly disappointed that he didn’t come to the best league to prove himself because he isn’t finished yet and still has plenty to offer. Anyway he has chosen an easy early retirement at a plastic club, that will reflect on his legacy.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I am in the correct thread! I am saying that Messi made a mistake in joining PSG (from a fan opinion point of view, not his). Was just using Ronaldo as the comparison since he’s old and just come to Pl but could also have said Cavani to be fair.

I am a huge fan of Messi. That’s why I am so bitterly disappointed that he didn’t come to the best league to prove himself because he isn’t finished yet and still has plenty to offer. Anyway he has chosen an easy early retirement at a plastic club, that will reflect on his legacy.
Ronaldo joined Juventus and they had their lowest of lows in the last decade, and now united are having their worst season since he joined. Now, this isn’t Ronaldo’s fault but nobody is going to be looking at Ronaldo’s Juventus and second united time fondly

mu4c_20le

Wrong thread, but just to reply to yet another CR7 fanboy/marketing brigate detailing the thread, no Ronaldo is not the superior player just because he plays in the EPL.
Messi is the superior player because he is not only about goals, he executes at an elite level for almost all the key areas in attack, whereas Ronaldo is just mostly about goals and marketing.

"I know this isn't the right thread but let me just squeeze out my thoughts before I finish this"

The courage take is absolute BS, he just wanted out of Juventus and United were the ones who gave him a deal after City were wavering. Ronaldo just went to whoever offered and still had a CL spot which ironically may see him In Europa next season. If he leaves united after they fail to get a CL spot then that will explain a lot.
It’s not BS. He could have gone to PSG or America, he chose to challenge himself, that’s the type of guy Ronaldo is. Similar to Ibra in that mindset.

Messi has chosen to end his career in a sad way for us fans but that’s his choice so not saying he’s wrong. He’s achieved everything in the game and obviously isn’t up for the challenge anymore.

Ronaldo joined Juventus and they had their lowest of lows in the last decade, and now united are having their worst season since he joined. Now, this isn’t Ronaldo’s fault but nobody is going to be looking at Ronaldo’s Juventus and second united time fondly
I agree with you mate. Just saying that I respect Ronaldo for at-least trying and challenging himself right up until the end of his career. It’s been great to see Ronnie score for us again and I really would of wanted to see Messi vs Ronnie I’m the premier league. However Messi has chosen to end his career early, I’m bitter because I wanted to see more of him!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I agree with you mate. Just saying that I respect Ronaldo for at-least trying and challenging himself right up until the end of his career. It’s been great to see Ronnie score for us again and I really would of wanted to see Messi vs Ronnie I’m the premier league. However Messi has chosen to end his career early, I’m bitter because I wanted to see more of him!
Fair enough, Messi has been very disappointing in the French league for sure so far

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It’s not BS. He could have gone to PSG or America, he chose to challenge himself, that’s the type of guy Ronaldo is. Similar to Ibra in that mindset.

Messi has chosen to end his career in a sad way for us fans but that’s his choice so not saying he’s wrong. He’s achieved everything in the game and obviously isn’t up for the challenge anymore.
No, in fairness he and his agent were struggling to find a team when he wanted out of Juventus due to his wages. United only got involved once city was thinking about him. ronaldo was hardly on anyone else’s radar for 500,000 a week. Highest paid in PL history.