Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Gonna spend a year in the shadow of Mbappé

Let's see if Kylian will be nice enough to gift him a CL
:lol:
Seriously though, Messi is in a very different setting, he is not a golden boy that he was at Barcelona and Argentina. Mbappe isPSG's biggest priority and he has a ego of Jupiter size, will Messi be able to adjust in that conditions, is something interesting to see.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I doubt he will.
Seems bit lost in that team, but than again he is Messi, might score a worldie and make me look like an absolute tool.
But I will be bold and say he will have a fairly forgettable game.
Good prediction but the worldie thing almost did happen.

Eddy_JukeZ

Might be a very bold take, but I have a nagging feeling he'll have the worst season from MNM.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
His detractors are going to have a field day if he has the worst season from the front 3. It will matter somewhat for his legacy.
I don’t think so. If they don’t win the CL then maybe so. But if they win the CL it’s all gravy. People are getting carried away with a few meh performances at the start of the season. Nothing important happens in September.

Eddy_JukeZ

Especially if Ronaldo does well with us. :angel:
Yeah I don't want to bring Ronaldo vs Messi in a Messi thread solely, but it'll definitely matter for his legacy if he didn't play well and Neymar AND Mbappe outshone him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Im actually here to say it's sad to see Messi this way.

However I think his talent and Ligue 1s low level will eventually break open the flood gates. I still think he'll probably the highest in goals and assists for Ligue 1 eventually.

A success or not will matter if they win the champions league .

If they win the champions league and he's a part of the team more or less that's all that will matter

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

However I think his talent and Ligue 1s low level will eventually break open the flood gates. I still think he'll probably the highest in goals and assists for Ligue 1 eventually.

If they win the champions league and he's a part of the team more or less that's all that will matter
No arguments there

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah I don't want to bring Ronaldo vs Messi in a Messi thread solely, but it'll definitely matter for his legacy if he didn't play well and Neymar AND Mbappe outshone him.
Nah, it won’t. Ronaldo has been outshined plenty of times in finals by his teammates. Great players with great teammates usually will flourish. I’m sure Messi will get his goals soon as he’s hit the woodwork a fair bit.

Eddy_JukeZ

Nah, it won’t. Ronaldo has been outshined plenty of times in finals by his teammates. Great players with great teammates usually will flourish. I’m sure Messi will get his goals soon as he’s hit the woodwork a fair bit.
I didn't say the final.

I said throughout the season that I think he'll be outshone by both. But it is a very bold take.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I didn't say the final.

I said throughout the season that I think he'll be outshone by both. But it is a very bold take.
I think it’s possible mbappe or neymar will outscore him, especially if Messi isn’t on penalties, but it would let surprise me if Messi still leads in every other category like key passes and assists.

but let’s see. PSG have won all their league games but should be playing better. Still early days for Messi with the new club.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think it’s possible mbappe or neymar will outscore him, especially if Messi isn’t on penalties, but it would let surprise me if Messi still leads in every other category like key passes and assists.

but let’s see. PSG have won all their league games but should be playing better. Still early days for Messi with the new club.
Their game vs City will be telling.

shamans

I didn't say the final.

I think in game play he probably will be but what matters more is how far they make it in the season particularly in the champions league .

Anyway, was their actual tension between him and poch or was that just Twitter drama ?

Eddy_JukeZ

I think in game play he probably will be but what matters more is how far they make it in the season particularly in the champions league .

Anyway, was their actual tension between him and poch or was that just Twitter drama ?
I don't think Messi was too pleased with getting subbed, but it's a bad look. He could have shook Poch's hand.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I can bet my life's savings that he won't get the scoring record in France this season or any other ones.

Eddy_JukeZ

I can bet my life's savings that he won't get the scoring record in France this season or any other ones.
I'd bet it too. He won't take pens going forward and Mbappe will outscore him this season.

tenpoless

I dont think he is very motivated. He didnt really want the transfer, he wasnt prepared and has lived all his adult life in Barcelona. Its Di Maria all over again.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's an all time great for suee but certain things are beyond him. He lacks the physicality to impose his will on games consistently.
He's also become a bit of a tactical headache lately. The best way to utilize him now is probably in a 442(like Valverde basically did) or a 3 back with wing-backs.

He wants to play in the center, but doesn't really offer movement off the ball. He comes deep to collect the ball unnecessarily at times. People kept blaming the Barcelona midfield(but their midfield is probably better than PSG's in terms of ball-carriers and penetrative passers)for him dropping deep, but that's what Messi wants to do. During losses of possession, he will refuse to track back and doesn't really press(Mbappe is also guilty of this).

I feel like he should adapt how he plays slightly and stay a bit further up the field, but I doubt he will. I don't think 'MNM' are an optimal fit at all either.

Individually, he is easily the best player in the world, but in the confines of a team now, he probably isn't. Which sounds paradoxical I know.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's also become a bit of a tactical headache lately. The best way to utilize him now is probably in a 442(like Valverde basically did) or a 3 back with wing-backs.

He wants to play in the center, but doesn't really offer movement off the ball. He comes deep to collect the ball unnecessarily at times. People kept blaming the Barcelona midfield(but their midfield is probably better than PSG's in terms of ball-carriers and penetrative passers)for him dropping deep, but that's what Messi wants to do. During losses of possession, he will refuse to track back and doesn't really press(Mbappe is also guilty of this).

I feel like he should adapt how he plays slightly and stay a bit further up the field, but I doubt he will. I don't think 'MNM' are an optimal fit at all either.

Individually, he is easily the best player in the world, but in the confines of a team now, he probably isn't. Which sounds paradoxical I know.
I can only agree with everything you said there. He's more than 1 player, he's an entire system if you wanna get the best out of him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t think he would have any problem performing in the French league at all, it’s really low standard there and he has too much quality for not being success. Once he get going he would be performing.

But the only problem I could see is, he used to play in Barca system which is build entirely around him, with everything go through him. Whether he would enjoy the same freedom in PSG with Neymar and Mbappe up front, and his new teammates who are not familiar with his approach, would be something I am not too sure about. He has a habit of strolling around the pitch when without the ball, and being always the focal point of attack for his team. These things are not common in any other team except Barca, and would need more time for his teammates to learn how to cover his back, and to adjust on how to play alongside him.

Last edited:

shamans

I don’t think he would have any problem performing in the French league at all, it’s really low standard there and he has too much quality for not being success. Once he get going he would be performing.

But the only problem I could see is, he used to play in Barca system which is build entirely around him, whether he would enjoy the the same thing in PSG with Neymar and Mbappe up front, and his new teammates who are not familiar with his approach, would be something I am not too sure about. He has a habit of strolling around the pitch when without the ball, and being always the focal point of attack for his team. These things need time for his teammates to learn and adjust on how to cover his back and to play alongside him.
One of Neymar or suarez would also really have to sacrifice their own play.