Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Idxomer

He took a while to get going last season, it's not a surprise he isn't hitting top form right away.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yeah, two games, he has hit the wood work twice.
Yesterday he looked much sharper and involved tbh than the last two times.
But that end product is missing, and good for Ligue 1 defenses, because if he gets going, than might hit the 40s.
It will come with time. People (understandably) want this team to fail but I don’t think it will.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think they will win the Champions League
They've got a good chance, but Poch has been incredibly unimpressive for them and I fancy any of the strongest clubs to knock them out. Neymar will go sleep with his sister in spring, Mpabbe is imo their best player at this stage, but he doesn't even want to be there. We've yet to see whether how much of an impact a 34 year old Messi will make. Personally I think United, Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Real Madrid can take them on.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
They've got a good chance, but Poch has been incredibly unimpressive for them and I fancy any of the strongest clubs to knock them out. Neymar will go sleep with his sister in spring, Mpabbe is imo their best player at this stage, but he doesn't even want to be there. We've yet to see whether how much of an impact a 34 year old Messi will make. Personally I think United, Bayern, Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Real Madrid can take them on.
Dafaq?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is this the source of his power? :nervous:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think he's still settling in. Pocchetino hasn't found the ideal formation for the team. I believe when he will, Di Maria will probably be out of the starting line up with Hakimi playing on the right behind an inverted winger Messi. Probably a three man midfield, too, to provide more defensive stability and patience in the build up. Mabye, Di Maria could even play there like he did for Argentina.

Thought they were a bit too impatient. Messi, too. Tried to play Mbappe through too often, even if the pass wasn't on.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
All those teams are good (especially City and Bayern) but I reckon PSG will get much stronger as the season progresses and they figure out how they’re going to play and integrate the new signings into the side. I think they’ll win the CL. I’m not a massive Poch fan but he can get it done.

mu4c_20le

I think he's still settling in. Pocchetino hasn't found the ideal formation for the team. I believe when he will, Di Maria will probably be out of the starting line up with Hakimi playing on the right behind an inverted winger Messi. Probably a three man midfield, too, to provide more defensive stability and patience in the build up. Mabye, Di Maria could even play there like he did for Argentina.

Thought they were a bit too impatient. Messi, too. Tried to play Mbappe through too often, even if the pass wasn't on.
Agree with the first five words, not sure about the rest. Everyone deserves some time to get settled, sure, but this is Messi we're talking about. One of the greatest playmakers ever. Can you imagine having to find the 'ideal' formation for Maradona to perform in? That and the antics against his own manager who was being supportive, doesn't really help his legacy much.

Gehrman

Agree with the first five words, not sure about the rest. Everyone deserves some time to get settled, sure, but this is Messi we're talking about. One of the greatest playmakers ever. Can you imagine having to find the 'ideal' formation for Maradona to perform in? That and the antics against his own manager who was being supportive, doesn't really help his legacy much.
He's only played for 190 minutes so far and he's 34. I understand that Ronaldo hitting the ground instantly at united kind of provides a perspective, but it took Ronaldo 4 matches at Juve to score. As regards to his legacy well he's already remembered as a top contender for the best of all time and his mentioned as the goat of the current crop by the vast majority of players, managers and pundits. That's a fairly good legacy.

Pocho

Great game from Messi last night. Brilliant first half.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is he still worse than Ronaldo?

Dante

Average bang
He's finished.

Messi is only still playing in order to try and keep up with the stat monster that is Cristiano Ronaldo. Both care so much about their legacies that they're refusing to quit first out of fear that the other will eclipse them.

The difference is that Messi isn't the superhuman athlete that Ronaldo is. He's relying on his talent alone, whilst his body is beginning to break down just like it does for the rest of us ordinary mortals.

Messi went to France so that future generations would always be able to cleanly separate his prime La Liga years from his declining Ligue Un years. He knows there's nothing left in the tank. PSG is just a last hurrah to pad out his numbers so that his rival doesn't get too far away from him.

Of course, he'll still put in some decent performances here and there like any ageing legend. He's the best player of all time, for me. But this is the French league we're talking about. It's about as meaningful as winning the title with the reserves.

Gehrman

He's finished.

Messi is only still playing in order to try and keep up with the stat monster that is Cristiano Ronaldo. Both care so much about their legacies that they're refusing to quit first out of fear that the other will eclipse them.

The difference is that Messi isn't the superhuman athlete that Ronaldo is. He's relying on his talent alone, whilst his body is beginning to break down just like it does for other ordinary mortals.

Messi went to France so that future generations would always be able to cleanly seperate his prime La Liga years from his declining Ligue Un years. He knows there's nothing left in the tank. PSG is just a last hurrah to pad out his numbers so that his rival doesn't get too far away from him.

Of course, he'll still put in some decent performances here and there like any ageing legend. He's the best player of all time, for me. But this is the French league we're talking about. It's about as meaningful as winning the reserves title.
He's well past his prime, but I mean he's still this years favourite to win the Ballon D'or. He's been starting seasons slowly for a while and it might be the case this year. But yeah I agree that PSG is his retirement option, but it's not really a bad option. You're right that Messi does not have the superhuman athletics that Ronaldo has. I don't believe he's built better than Xavi or Iniesta are but I suspect his supreme talent will keep him going for another 2 years.

Bole Top

Everyone deserves some time to get settled, sure, but this is Messi we're talking about. One of the greatest playmakers ever.
which is why it's not easy to make him fit in only 2 games. Ronaldo for example won't affect our setup that much neither he will clash with Bruno or Pogba in the middle. Ole expects from him everything he wanted from Cavani, just better.

Messi's role at PSG isn't that simple neither he is direct replacement for certain player. there are three players of Ronaldo level at PSG and they all want their share of glory. it's all on Poch.

mu4c_20le

which is why it's not easy to make him fit in only 2 games. Ronaldo for example won't affect our setup that much neither he will clash with Bruno or Pogba in the middle. Ole expects from him everything he wanted from Cavani, just better.

Messi's role at PSG isn't that simple neither he is direct replacement for certain player. there are three players of Ronaldo level at PSG and they all want their share of glory. it's all on Poch.
This is pure hindsight. There was no shortage of people predicting he would make us worse, either because he doesnt run or because hes selfish and past it. Most people expected Messi to dominate when the move was first announced.

"Messi's role at PSG isn't that simple"... what? He was played in the 10 behind Mbappe yesterday. I expect special players to make an impact anywhere they play, not the other way around. His best moments were hitting the post a few times, but he's being outshone by Herrera so far.

Bole Top

There was no shortage of people predicting he would make us worse, either because he doesnt run or because hes selfish and past it.
and they are in the same boat with those who think one league start is enough, yes. ;)

Banat

I watched extended PSG highlights (I'm aware how misleading highlights can be) against Lyon and he looked very sharp and invovled in most of their attacks.
And this thing with Pog is obviously exaggerated, from what I can see, he didn't ignore his handshake, just missed it :lol:

mu4c_20le

and they are in the same boat with those who think one league start is enough, yes. ;)
Well, it's enough to see certain things, like being out of his comfort zone. Again, he seems to be the only legend in the game that gets so much leeway that he needs special coaches and special formations to make him perform.

Revan

Assumptionman
I watched extended PSG highlights (I'm aware how misleading highlights can be) against Lyon and he looked very sharp and invovled in most of their attacks.
And this thing with Pog is obviously exaggerated, from what I can see, he didn't ignore his handshake, just missed it :lol:
He ignored it, and also did not celebrate with the other players after the match.

Pocho

He's finished.

The difference is that Messi isn't the superhuman athlete that Ronaldo is. He's relying on his talent alone, whilst his body is beginning to break down just like it does for the rest of us ordinary mortals.

Messi went to France so that future generations would always be able to cleanly separate his prime La Liga years from his declining Ligue Un years. He knows there's nothing left in the tank. PSG is just a last hurrah to pad out his numbers so that his rival doesn't get too far away from him.

Of course, he'll still put in some decent performances here and there like any ageing legend. He's the best player of all time, for me. But this is the French league we're talking about. It's about as meaningful as winning the title with the reserves.
Icardi is better. He scored and Messi didn't. I think he should retire.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Filthy rich yet a miserable, "never happy" club. Actually run from Qatar, proven by that threatening twitter against Poch.

Neymar is just there for the money, Mbappé wanted to leave in August and Messi didn't even want to be there to begin with.

His reaction refusing (or making no effort) the handshake tells you that Messi's mind is in Castelldefels.

He went to France because apparently Neymar is a friend and is a relatively weak league; but CR is one year older and already scoring in the most competitive league in the world. CR is a fitness monster and I think LaLiga/FCB was better for Messi's stats (and he was the absolute leader there). I don't think he will score 30 goals this season. I could be wrong.

If PSG don't win this UCL (I would absolutely love seeing us knocking them out this season, QFs if possible) and Mbappé finally leaves, Messi's second season at PSG will be bitter indeed. And if they sign Haaland, Messi will be eclipsed/forced to assist him.

I can see him in Beckham's Miami in August 2023.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Well, it's enough to see certain things, like being out of his comfort zone. Again, he seems to be the only legend in the game that gets so much leeway that he needs special coaches and special formations to make him perform.
He's literally excelled in more different roles than most players in his career. He's expected to do more than just get on the scoresheet. And well so far he's played 190 minutes at his new club. Perhaps he'll turn out to be a flop or mediocre, but it's a bit too soon to tell. About special coaches I don't know, all his coaches apart from Guardiola have been wank or fairly mediocre.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The GOAT, my ass! Can't even cut it in the 'farmer's league' after stat-padding at Barca for over a decade. Wimped out of a real challenge and just wait until Mbappe moves on to Real Madrid next season.

Oranges038

No doubt he'll come good.

But at the minute he looks extremely unhappy and disinterested on the pitch.

mu4c_20le

He's literally excelled in more different roles than most players in his career. He's expected to do more than just get on the scoresheet. And well so far he's played 190 minutes at his new club. Perhaps he'll turn out to be a flop or mediocre, but it's a bit too soon to tell. About special coaches I don't know, all his coaches apart from Guardiola have been wank or fairly mediocre.
Well in the first sentence of my post I did say he deserves time to settle. But I'm also questioning the people who are blaming Poch and tactics.

youmeletsfly

He didn't have a preseason, it's normal he looks tired.
Also his teammates look rather dumb, especially when he's on the ball and facing the opposition's goal. It's obvious they're not playing in sync yet, which is normal as well, he just joined them. On the other side, Neymar and Mbappe seem to hog the ball a lot which kinda fuks Messi a bit.

Gehrman

Well in the first sentence of my post I did say he deserves time to settle. But I'm also questioning the people who are blaming Poch and tactics.
I'm not sure I would blame Poch for Messi's performance, but he is the one most responsible for PSG results unless we are going down the route where managers are pointless when Messi is involved.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's clearly finished.

Ron's the GOAT, the debate is officially over.

Surely nobody's stupid enough to bite, but you never know.

Ixion

Some nonsense in here. He could not score a single goal for PSG and he'd still be the greatest ever.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't see the game but he seemed rather annoyed at being subbed off last night.