Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Doesn't matter, because he was the best player on the pitch in pretty much every game he played, including the fin
Unless you didn't watch the games in 2014, you know that isn't true. Players like Rodriguez, Kroos, probably even Neuer were better than him in that tournament. It was pretty widely acknowledged that him getting that prize was absurd.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For Messi there are different expectations. People expect him to play like an absolute magician, score the most goals and win everything. Always. For other players a couple of tap ins are enough to be the best player. So telling.
A name can be as well. :lol:

Lay

Messi fails: :lol: can’t cut it in a farmers league

Messi succeeds: it doesn’t count, it’s a farmers league

Messi has only one way to succeed and that’s to win the UCL which won’t happen with this club.

LoneStar

Magician? If you count useless stepovers as magic, maybe. Ronaldo mainly scores tap ins , its the foundation of his career tbh. From Messi people expect moments of genius and not just simple goals. But yeah thats probably what makes him the best.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank feck the newbie system exists, this place would be filled with jokers like this otherwise.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Magician? If you count useless stepovers as magic, maybe. Ronaldo mainly scores tap ins , its the foundation of his career tbh. From Messi people expect moments of genius and not just simple goals. But yeah thats probably what makes him the best.
Clueless

Zen

Unless you didn't watch the games in 2014, you know that isn't true. Players like Rodriguez, Kroos, probably even Neuer were better than him in that tournament. It was pretty widely acknowledged that him getting that prize was absurd.
Odd one - because a lot will say the opposite too... so people are watching for two different things.

He's set the bar so ludicrously high that, even though he could like one of the greatest playmakers of all time, he can't get away without a goal or assist for some - even if they are watching. If he had more modest stats, he might get more credit for the games where he doesn't actually score or directly assist.

Tony247

Say what now?

Suedesi

Rich coming from a poster calling themselves ryadmahrez

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Widely acknowledged doesn't make it true ;) As I said, give him another face and jersey and we wouldn't have this discussion. Convincr yourself and rewatch his highlights in every game. He was easily better than everyone else bar Robben and even that's debatable

Suedesi

VanKenny

Gotta love the hate Messi gets on redcafe. The good thing is that if there is one player that you dont really have to argue for and defend him, thats Messi. Been watching every game of him for close to 15 years now, and people that have done the same will tell you that he's playing just as good as he always has, he simply has not gotten lucky.

Yes, he still has to settle in a bit more, but thats not the problem. He has been playing great, been hitting the post, goalkeepers making amazing saves, etc.

The start of last season with Barcelona was very similar, he couldnt score for the first 4-5 games and people were already questioning his commitment to the club after the whole burofax saga. I couldnt understand what they were talking about, since i was seeing him play amazing, putting shots on the post, keepers making the saves of their lives etc. I thought that it was only a matter of time until he started scoring like usual and sure enough, he ended up being pichichi, being the best player statwise in the world etc.

People are too quick here to judge him because of course, it fits their agenda. When Messi won the cup this summer and CR7 got eliminated, people werent nearly half as vocal about that as they are right now about CR7 scoring a few tap ins for Utd and Messi failing to score after 2 games. Suddenly one is the GOAT and the other one is finished :lol:

I love watching both players TBH. I do question people that make comments like that, sometimes wonder if they stop and read what they wrote before hitting "post reply".

ryadmahrez

A name can be as well. :lol:
Thanks its my real name. The first name. You can spell it different ways;)

But Ronaldo fans are a bit sensitive of banter about his tap in style of play I see. Probably because you guys know there is some truth to it, deep down.

The things I’ve read here about Messi after a couple minutes at PSG, are just as crazy, if not more. Offcourse Ronaldo isn’t soley about his tap ins. Honestly he is one of the best penalty takers in the world. Probably the best.

mu4c_20le

But Ronaldo fans are a bit sensitive of banter about his tap in style of play I see. Probably because you guys know there is some truth to it, deep down.

The things I’ve read here about Messi after a couple minutes at PSG, are just as crazy, if not more. Offcourse Ronaldo isn’t soley about his tap ins. Honestly he is one of the best penalty takers in the world. Probably the best.
You don't make sense. You said there are high expectations for Messi, and then call the expectations for him over the last 2 starts....crazy

Tony247

Agree. I was surprised Kroos didn't get the prize.

Tony247

"Tap in style"... since when you started watching football?

Viral United

:lol::lol:
Nice try to make 180 degree swing, keep it up.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Joining PSG was always going to be that double edged sword though, and Messi knew that full well.
Maybe he doesn't care tbh. I don't know of any great players who hadn't sealed their legacy before they were 34. Fergie and Guardiola already talked had Messi in the GOAT bracket in 2011 after the CL final. In fact most did by that time.

Gonçalo Motta

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't really be more biased than this tbf. Ronaldo these days operates more in the box, that's a fact but saying that is the foundation of his career it's just clueless :lol:
The foundation of his career was him being a tricky winger causing havoc against any team but lacking focus in the end product. When he started to be more driven by his output, he just became a different beast altogether and for me the most complete offensive player I have ever seen. For me, his real peak in his overall game was the last 2 seasons for us and the 2 first seasons for Madrid. After that he just became a crazy goal score machine but other aspects of his game declined, like his freekicks for example.

He only started to play more inside the box after his 30s and by the time he left RM (he was 32 or 33 by then), he was still playing as an inside forward winger and in some games, he would play a more central role closer to the box to connect with Benzema.

You have the right to rate Ronaldo or any other player as you wish but at least call it as it is instead of pretty much trying to fit a narrative that isn't remotely true.

With that said, for me, it's a matter of preference because I do rate Messi highly as well for everything he has done and the player he is/was.

Anduin

Thought Messi did well yesterday, he’s still settling in. Should have scored after Neymar’s back heel, but that was an amazing save by the Lyon keeper. Linked up well a couple of times with Di Maria and almost scored a fantastic free kick yet again, only to be denied by the woodwork. He might need some time, but he’s still every bit as good as last season.

Gehrman

The cult of Messi fanboys need to hear it. :lol:
Well TBF it took over in the Ronaldo thread as well, so it's not surprising since Ronaldo has been off to flying start whilst playing for us after all.

darioterios

Must be the same foundations LvG laid here at United.

Pocho

No, in the same way getting to the WC final in 2014 is irrelevant to those who actually watched him in that tournament.

Playing great AND winning is what the greats do.
hahahahaha Messi was by far the better player of the tournament, some people need to actually watch the games before coming here and throw bs.

sebsheep

Writing Messi off after a couple of games and referring to Ronaldo as a tap in merchant are both equally daft really.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Messi fails: :lol: can’t cut it in a farmers league

Messi succeeds: it doesn’t count, it’s a farmers league

Messi has only one way to succeed and that’s to win the UCL which won’t happen with this club.
And even if he could win it, the criticism would be him joining a big team in order to do it. When some players are truly hated, there will always be a way to criticize them harshly

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
hahahahaha Messi was by far the better player of the tournament, some people need to actually watch the games before coming here and throw bs.
Nonsense, Robben was obviously the best player.

And Dirk Kuyt.

Gehrman

And even if he could win it, the criticism would be him joining a big team in order to do it. When some players are truly hated, there will always be a way to criticize them harshly
Unlike United. Who aren't a big club.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Nonsense, Robben was obviously the best player.

And Dirk Kuyt.
There was no clear cut best player in that tournament, and Messi had an excellent tournament.
While obviously the reason he won was due to the sponsorship thingy, but people sound really ignorant when they say Messi was crap in the knockouts. As if Messi does not score= he is crap.