Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Skills

Snitch
It's so weird watching this era of football now, having watched him for 10 years before. It's a bit underwhelming in terms of individual talent?

I mean the talk of Salah being the best player in the world earlier in the season almost made want to throw up - imagine how relatively poor the talent pool is if that was actually true?

GuyfromAustria

What did he mean then? His peak years were certainly after ronaldo's if we go by my 2008/9 definition.
Ronaldo's ballon d'or win came earlier as well.
He's talking about the times when Messi was leading 4-1 or 5-3 in Ballon d'Ors or 3-1/4-2 in CLs. Ronaldo's peak wasn't at United 13-14 years ago ffs.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's talking about the times when Messi was leading 4-1 or 5-3 in Ballon d'Ors or 3-1/4-2 in CLs. Ronaldo's peak wasn't at United 13-14 years ago ffs.
Fair enough I thought he meant peak playing ability.

I didn't mean his peak was only at United per say , more that he had been in his peak from 2007 till 2017, while for Messi that would have been from 2009 to 2018.

Last edited:

GinobiliTheGOAT

Fsir enough I thought he meant peak playing ability.

I didn't mean his peak was only at United per say , more that he had been in his peak from 2007 till 2017, while for Messi that would have been from 2009 to 2018.
way off, 2019 was one of the best seasons of Messi’s career. He also set an assist record in 2020.

He was also amazing in 2008

GuyfromAustria

Fsir enough I thought he meant peak playing ability.

Yeah fair enough, but i'm sure he meant the time when Messi was pulling away a bit before Ronaldo exploded again going into his 30s, creating some recency bias for younger (and older) fans.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's so weird watching this era of football now, having watched him for 10 years before. It's a bit underwhelming in terms of individual talent?

I mean the talk of Salah being the best player in the world earlier in the season almost made want to throw up - imagine how relatively poor the talent pool is if that was actually true?
Post-Ronaldo/Messi is going to feel really weird. These 2 are legends.

I see no other player at the moment that seems capable of reaching their level. Not even Mbappe.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can someone one enlighten me on what the Finalissima is? Never heard of it before. Am I having a stroke?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah fair enough, but i'm sure he meant the time when Messi was pulling away a bit before Ronaldo exploded again going into his 30s, creating some recency bias for younger (and older) fans.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense for folk between 20 and 30 I reckon but not those older I think.

I don't think their peak playing ability changed much its just that the Madrid team became much better as a team with the inclusion of modric and kroos while Barcelona dropped a level after 2015, just shows you how circumstantial these awards can be but that's another topic for discussion.

Skills

Snitch
Post-Ronaldo/Messi is going to feel really weird. These 2 are legends.

I see no other player at the moment that seems capable of reaching their level. Not even Mbappe.
It's worse in sprinting. Nobody gives a shit now Usain Bolt's gone.

I feel like tennis might head that way once the big 3 are done.

Being the best player in the world in any of those sports doesn't really hold much value, if you've watched the actual GOATs dominate them in unprecedented fashion.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Has been world class in the Italy game.
Psg could do some serious damage if the get squeeze that little bit of quality out of him.
He recently said in an interview that he was really badly affected by covid, it left damage on his lungs. Apparently he could barely run for months. One can only hope that with a decent physical preparation this summer he could be much better and not out of gaz after 50 minutes.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Can someone one enlighten me on what the Finalissima is? Never heard of it before. Am I having a stroke?
Never heard of it either, but it means something, i guess.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
It's worse in sprinting. Nobody gives a shit now Usain Bolt's gone.

I feel like tennis might head that way once the big 3 are done.

Being the best player in the world in any of those sports doesn't really hold much value, if you've watched the actual GOATs dominate them in unprecedented fashion.
Ironic, isn't it? The guy essentially ruined all competition in sprinting for years by being so incredible fast, but now that he is gone and there is competition again, few bothers to watch it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He recently said in an interview that he was really badly affected by covid, it left damage on his lungs. Apparently he could barely run for months. One can only hope that with a decent physical preparation this summer he could be much better and not out of gaz after 50 minutes.
Honestly I think it was mostly a motivational problem, must have been hard for him to change scenery after so many years at Barcelona.
I think he could be much more motivated for the upcoming season, you just need someone who can make him perform at his best or at least close to it and you'll be set.
Ah. Cheers!
They're reviving an older idea i think, there were 2 other instances of a similar match in 1985 (france/ Uruguay) and in 1993 (Argentina / Denmark).

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
New trophy winning opportunity created for Messi. Probably will be discarded by the next Euros conveniently. :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ironic, isn't it? The guy essentially ruined all competition in sprinting for years by being so incredible fast, but now that he is gone and there is competition again, few bothers to watch it.
To be fair, I doubt anyone watched it before either.
Not much room for enjoyment watching a bunch of lads run in an straight line for 12 seconds.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Interesting late-career peak with the NT.

Starting to believe that Argentina can win the Qatar Cup 2022.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Interesting late-career peak with the NT.

Starting to believe that Argentina can win the Qatar Cup 2022.
Weren't you a full member?

But yeah they're one of the favorites especially considering their piss easy group.
Them, Britain (unlikely as they have a bottling soul), France and Brazil are favorites.
Spain and Germany are there as well but a lot more unproven.

Corey

Finally got to see Messi live today and he didn't disappoint! Some of his touches and his general spatial awareness were next level.

wr8_utd

:'(
New comp they created - Winner of Copa America vs Winner of Euro's
It was actually held twice before around the early 1990s or something and Maradona won it too. Think it's been brought back now.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
amazing performance..

Argentines are very hopeful of their chances in the WC, not the most talented Argentina NT ever but definitely one of the best with the winner's mentality..

wr8_utd

:'(
Finally got to see Messi live today and he didn't disappoint! Some of his touches and his general spatial awareness were next level.
He honestly isn't as bad for PSG as it's made out but he was 100x more motivated for Argentina today. He was all over the place, putting in tackles, pressing from the front, winning the ball back, making super runs and running the game.

Rojow

New trophy winning opportunity created for Messi. Probably will be discarded by the next Euros conveniently. :lol:
It's not NEW. It's OLD. Older than confederation cup that doesn't exist anymore.

Smithy89

He has always been on another planet on his own, pure magic. Ronaldinho is the most exciting player i've ever watched but Messi is by far the greatest.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just proof that he didn’t age for Ligue 1.
He just can’t adapt to another team outside the ones he grew in to and are playing towards him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just proof that he didn’t age for Ligue 1.
He just can’t adapt to another team outside the ones he grew in to and are playing towards him.
Yep, this trophy is an indictment on his ability to adapt.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Got a link to the interview?