Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

bimalos

Messi will play a very important role for PSG and finally win champion league

I'm wondering whether he's still potentially the best player in the world. Think based on last season it's easy to say Mbappe and some others might have overtaken him but he's looked great this season and can still do things that Mbappe can't.
Neymar has as many assists as him, and double the amount of goals, Mbappe has clearly started the season better also.

So hard to claim he’s the best in the World when he’s currently 3rd best at his own club.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No man Mbappe covered all the positions on the pitch. No but really idiots recognize that it's a team game but not Barca post iniesta and xavi or Argentina for that matter.
and Barcelona has the most team built philosophy of any team all over the world - from Cryuff to Van Gaal to Guardiola to Koeman.

It’s why this ‘team’ aspect never impressed me much with a pure Barcelona built player destroying the La Liga.

kthanksbye

Greatest player of all time, Messi. One of the greatest, Ronaldo.
There's no need for these exercises, better teammates, better system, better coach, easier/tougher league, proven in multiple leagues etc... Been watching them since they made their debut, Ronaldo's biggest achievement as a footballer is that he gets mentioned with Messi, the little genius is so far ahead.

There's no need for these exercises, better teammates, better system, better coach, easier/tougher league, proven in multiple leagues etc... Been watching them since they made their debut, Ronaldo's biggest achievement as a footballer is that he gets mentioned with Messi, the little genius is so far ahead.
Wrong thread.

antk

Neymar has as many assists as him, and double the amount of goals, Mbappe has clearly started the season better also.

So hard to claim he’s the best in the World when he’s currently 3rd best at his own club.
Mbappé has been quite poor so far (according to his own absurdly high standards and his insane last season ofc) and has certainly not started the season better than Messi. Neymar is head and shoulders above anyone else though.
and Barcelona has the most team built philosophy of any team all over the world - from Cryuff to Van Gaal to Guardiola to Koeman.

It’s why this ‘team’ aspect never impressed me much with a pure Barcelona built player destroying the La Liga.
Please stop.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol: There should be a probation period wherein mods are encouraged to reverse their mistakes
:lol:
Mbappe can do things Messi can’t like win a World Cup.

Messi regarded as best in the world by his fans when playing for Ligue 1 is why a lot of us wanted to see him in a more competitive league.
:lol: gosh, are these the kinds of arguments its come down to.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Messi regarded as best in the world by his fans when playing for Ligue 1 is why a lot of us wanted to see him in a more competitive league.
Mbappe can win the WC cause France is a better team than Argentina, not because he is better than Messi.

If only Messi had peak Kante and peak Pogba in the midfield, or Varane instead of Otamendi, or
Lucas Hernandez instead of Marcos Rojo.

Anduin

I'm wondering whether he's still potentially the best player in the world. Think based on last season it's easy to say Mbappe and some others might have overtaken him but he's looked great this season and can still do things that Mbappe can't.
Neymar has been immense so far this season, not only based on his stats, but also the shift he is putting in. If he keeps fit, he’ll be a strong contender for the Ballon D’Or, obviously also depending on Brazil’s World Cup performance.

Messi has been very good though as well, not quite peak version, but he has clearly settled in now and enjoys his football again. I’d say he's been comfortably better than Mbappe this season.

kthanksbye

Yup. Not to mention the idiocy of reducing someone's impact to just goal production.
I find it absolutely baffling that people who watch, understand and even at times play football are still of the opinion that Ronaldo can be compared to Messi.

Ronaldo had to sacrifice everything from his game to become a player who could be compared to Messi. Without Messi, Ronaldo would still be a winger, probably the best in the world in his position, but he had to drop all of that and focus solely on scoring goals. Without Ronaldo, Messi would still be the same player.

Bebestation

There are a bunch of people who pick their wives purely on beauty and beauty alone.

Then there’s a different group of people that not only look for beauty in a woman but also a women’s mentality because they realize that there will be times where beauty is simply not enough to get out of a hard place. Or even A new place.

Messi is the most beautiful footballer in the world to me, but he is not the greatest footballer that I would rest all my laurels on. That goes to Ronaldo. The man that is able to play anywhere, any time, any league and be consistent to win the highest things over a decade.

PS. Why did the Messi Vs Ronaldo thread stop? It’s never going to be stopped talking about and has only worsened threads like this. Bring it Back!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I find it absolutely baffling that people who watch, understand and even at times play football are still of the opinion that Ronaldo can be compared to Messi.

Ronaldo had to sacrifice everything from his game to become a player who could be compared to Messi. Without Messi, Ronaldo would still be a winger, probably the best in the world in his position, but he had to drop all of that and focus solely on scoring goals. Without Ronaldo, Messi would still be the same player.
I honestly don't think Ronnie scoring 42 goals in 2008 as a wingforward had anything to do with Messi. It was more when he moved to Madrid that the rivalry became a thing. Ronnie is better at penalties, maybe the best header ever, is more two footed, more atletic. That's it really, his record in the CL knockouts is impressive, but Messi is S tier in Dribbling, playmaking, passing, vision, decision making and as good a goalscorer as any player ever. Messi has something in common with the best ever that goes beyond goals. Ronaldo in his prime had a impressive range of attributes but he wasn't up there with the rest apart from his goal scoring.

Of course it just reverts to comfort zone arguments for like forever.

Pocho

There are a bunch of people who pick their wives purely on beauty and beauty alone.

Then there’s a different group of people that not only look for beauty in a woman but also a women’s mentality because they realize that there will be times where beauty is simply not enough to get out of a hard place. Or even A new place.

Messi is the most beautiful footballer in the world to me, but he is not the greatest footballer that I would rest all my laurels on. That goes to Ronaldo. The man that is able to play anywhere, any time, any league and be consistent to win the highest things over a decade.

PS. Why did the Messi Vs Ronaldo thread stop? It’s never going to be stopped talking about and has only worsened threads like this. Bring it Back!
Marcos Rojo has a great mentality, that doesn't make him better tha VVD. Sorry.

Gehrman

Anyone who starts making a analogies about wives, girlfriends and women when talking about footballers aren't to be listened to.

Pocho

Anyone who starts making a analogies about wives, girlfriends and women when talking about footballers aren't to be listened to.
Kind of lame what Ronaldo fans are doing, he is great, maybe the best goalscorer ever, he is just not in Messi's League, they need to get over it.

kaku06

:lol: There should be a probation period wherein mods are encouraged to reverse their mistakes
Agreed.

Also, there should be a system which can be used to demote main posters to newbies with dumb comments like this.

Bebestation

:lol:

Mentality & Beauty - not just Mentality alone! That’s what makes VVD better than Rojo - the physicality of life and the mentality of life. Best of both.

Ligue 1!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Yes because the only metric to judge who has been better is goals and assists... This kind of outlook is ruining the beauty of the game.

You probably haven't even watched many of the PSG games but are instead just looking on Google.

KeanoMagicHat

Just left throwing out random buzz words without any argument now.

Yes because the only metric to judge who has been better is goals and assists... This kind of outlook is ruining the beauty of the game.

You probably haven't even watched many of the PSG games but are instead just looking on Google.
Yep, Messi has been man of the match 5 times this season already.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mbappe can win the WC cause France is a better team than Argentina, not because he is better than Messi.
He isn't better than Messi, of course (he's miles off) - but Argentina hasn't been anywhere near bad enough in Messi's time for the "he just didn't have the foundation" argument to genuinely work. He's hardly in the George Best category.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Messi has been a bit underwhelming as a big time, grab the game by the scruff, impose yourself as the best in the business...player for Argentina.

How much emphasis should be placed on national team performances in this day and age can be debated, of course. And people need to understand that "a bit underwhelming" isn't a savage criticism - it's relative to his immense potential. Stating stats and numbers (and MOTM awards and whatnot) in order to "disprove" that he didn't truly step up in 2014 (which is what he should have done, that was his time to shine - like Diego did in '86) is just silly at the end of the day. He wasn't truly convincing - and, yeah, they didn't win.

Gehrman

Messi has been a bit underwhelming as a big time, grab the game by the scruff, impose yourself as the best in the business...player for Argentina.

How much emphasis should be placed on national team performances in this day and age can be debated, of course. And people need to understand that "a bit underwhelming" isn't a savage criticism - it's relative to his immense potential. Stating stats and numbers (and MOTM awards and whatnot) in order to "disprove" that he didn't truly step up in 2014 (which is what he should have done, that was his time to shine - like Diego did in '86) is just silly at the end of the day. He wasn't truly convincing - and, yeah, they didn't win.
I think its true that Messi's lack of iconic WC performances is something lacking in his resume, but still I'd say that Argentina has been knocked out every time by a better team. He hasn't done a WC Maradona, only Maradona has so far. It's fair enough if that's a deal breaker for some.

I doubt you’ll find a single PSG fan who would deny Neymar has been their best player so far this season. If you’d watched you wouldn’t even be making the ridiculous argument that Neymar has only been better due to goals and assists.

Ladron de redcafe

He hasn't watched any. Google and Livescore are his friends.

Anyone who makes the argument that a footballer is better due to goals and assists (as if their the only factors in someone's impact) as that poster did, doesn't understand or doesn't watch football.

Yep, Messi has been man of the match 5 times this season already.
The highest average match rating out of anyone in the top 5 leagues.

Incidentally:

Jacob

Went searching for the Messi vs Ronaldo thread and found this gem from 2006.
Mate, that's breaking the Geneva convention. Don't mention the war :lol:

Besides, those who know me know me as a provoker.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's actually a weird one, I have missed some games but saw the majority and wouldn't be able to easily state which one of Messi or Neymar has been the better player simply because they are not competing with each others. The easiest cop out would be to say that they have been both as good as the other and feed each others.

Gehrman

He hasn't watched any. Google and Livescore are his friends.

Anyone who makes the argument that a footballer is better due to goals and assists (as if their the only factors in someone's impact) as that poster did, doesn't understand or doesn't watch football.

The highest average match rating out of anyone in the top 5 leagues.

Incidentally:

It says take ons completed not highest match rating.

wangyu

Aaron Lennon was a lovely player and I often make ridiculous statements but saying he is better than Messi is one of the worst opinions one could ever have.
Jacob wasn’t alone though, the spurs coach back then ( can’t remember his name) compared him with Cristiano Ronaldo as well

mshnsh

That’s just performing under Guardiola which is arguably to this date is still his best achievements for Barcelona (+ the ensuing succession at Enrique).

Id love to have seen Messi under managers like Mourinho, Ancelotti, Serie A managers, SAF and more.
Aguero performed very well at City under a variety of managers as did Silva. Messi is a much better footballer than them. What makes you think he wouldn't perform even better?

In addition, Messi played under very average managers at Barcelona some of whom were defensive (Velverde), others played vertical counter attacking style (Enrique), others were clueless (the Argentine fellow) yet his star shone brightly even if the levels of others around him dropped. Your point on managers is therefore quite absurd.

Pocho

Aaron Lennon was a lovely player and I often make ridiculous statements but saying he is better than Messi is one of the worst opinions one could ever have.
Jacob wasn’t alone though, the spurs coach back then ( can’t remember his name) compared him with Cristiano Ronaldo as well
Well, that was pretty much accurate though

mu4c_20le

It's simple. If you could have any player right now for just one season, would Messi still be on top of that list?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He humlliated every single engliah team he played against, so that argument is almost pathetic.
While playing for Barca and not playing for an English team. Messi is always going to be considered a system based player. If I was coaching Barca/City I’d pick Messi but if I was coaching Sunderland/Nantes/Fiorentina I’d pick Ronaldo. Infact Ronaldo would be a success in every team in the league.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Don't want to get into this headache of a debate on who's better as it's a losing battle for either side.

But why is the goals excluding penalties even a thing? Should there be a stat excluding left footed goals? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

These two are probably top 2 players of all time, it's crazy that they both came through at the same time, we need to marvel at the fact but everyone's too busy arguing who's better.

Messi the more naturally talented while Ronaldo worked on his insane talent to get the most of it, it's impressive that he started his career as a winger but evolved into the statistical beast that he currently his.

The player Messi is you wouldn't expect that sort of productivity either, both are just crazy players and we'll likely not see any player match them, including Haaland and Mbappe (longevity wise).