Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

most asissts in all of Europe so far this season but yes he’s “finished” :lol:
In fairnsss he plays for the most dominant team in Europe in a league that’s a level below the best.
He’s not finished at that level, but at the very highest level he’s been lacking for a good few years now, age gets the better of all of us eventually so to be expected.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Narrow offside stops him from scoring 2 in 20mins probably on route to a 5 or 6 niller, yet the forum has written him off again. Amazing.

Narrow offside stops him from scoring 2 in 20mins probably on route to a 5 or 6 niller, yet the forum has written him off again. Amazing.
They just got beat 2-1 by Saudi Arabia man :lol:

Good spin though mind. Shows how far he’s dropped if people are excusing a Saudi Arabia performance from the once greatest player on Earth who in his prime would’ve chewed these up and spat them out.

As for narrow offside, that’s like me saying “if the ref doesn’t give a pen, he doesn’t even score”.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Just doesn't have the legs or energy anymore. The talent in short bursts is the best we're going to get.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
So if he was allowed to not adhere to the rules of the game, he’d probably have 2 goals & an assist.

You realise how odd that sounds right ?
They make it sound like he scored twice and gave an assist against a big team and it was just a poor performance against Saudi Arabia.

And the goal was a quite debatable pen...

KeanoMagicHat

One thing I don’t like about the World Cup is people making sweeping generations after one game. Argentina went 30+ games unbeaten and Messi has been great all season but now they’re ‘bang average’ after one game. At least wait until the group stage is over ffs.

GinobiliTheGOAT

In fairnsss he plays for the most dominant team in Europe in a league that’s a level below the best.
He’s not finished at that level, but at the very highest level he’s been lacking for a good few years now, age gets the better of all of us eventually so to be expected.
Very fair I hear you

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They just got beat 2-1 by Saudi Arabia man :lol:

Good spin though mind. Shows how far he’s dropped if people are excusing a Saudi Arabia performance from the once greatest player on Earth who in his prime would’ve chewed these up and spat them out.

As for narrow offside, that’s like me saying “if the ref doesn’t give a pen, he doesn’t even score”.
I'm the last person who wants Argentina to win, and certainly don't want Messi winning the world cup, even with Ronaldo's little situation.
But to not admit they were well on top in the first half and had countless near misses and chances to get well in the lead is a bit dim.

The second half was something quite different, one of the most amazing 5min turn arounds in World cup history, and a superb defensive job married with poor Argentina attack.

I did wonder why Argentina were so heavily backed to win the world cup, with a light years beyond peak Messi, and aging Di Maria as their key guys. But assumed the expert cafeites knew their stuff :wenger:

GinobiliTheGOAT

Ligue 1 proving once again it's a piss take of a league where Messi ran off to. Ronaldo is washed up too now but atleast he doesn't hide probably because his ego is too big to play in a 'lesser' league haha
Ronaldo does hide though. 25% of his goals last season were against Norwich who would get destroyed in ligue 1. Ronaldo also got eliminated by Lyon not long before joining united.

and Ronaldo does hide on the bench

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not sure if serious but football is a team effort and lets face it, Argentina is not good enough. Off course he is past his prime.
But he did score today, so if the defenders\Goalie did their job, Messi would be Mom then? Short line between heaven and hell.
Not buying this one bit. Argentina not good enough? To beat Saudi Arabia?

Give me a break. This is a capable team but they played terribly there is no short line here Messi was strolling about the pitch with his head down once again. He's done this a thousand times before when his team trails.

GlasgowCeltic

He's got such a strange way about him at times, like he's mentally not fully present in the game

Idxomer

Whoscored would rate Messi an 8 even if he had a heart attack in the first minute of the game.
Well, it is an algorithm which favours certain stats like key passes and dribbles which guarantees that Messi usually gets a high rating on it.

I don't think he did have a good game though and at this stage, he needs quicker players than what Argentina have at the moment to shine.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm the last person who wants Argentina to win, and certainly don't want Messi winning the world cup, even with Ronaldo's little situation.
But to not admit they were well on top in the first half and had countless near misses and chances to get well in the lead is a bit dim.

The second half was something quite different, one of the most amazing 5min turn arounds in World cup history, and a superb defensive job married with poor Argentina attack.

I did wonder why Argentina were so heavily backed to win the world cup, with a light years beyond peak Messi, and aging Di Maria as their key guys. But assumed the expert cafeites knew their stuff :wenger:
You look at Argentina's squad and its really average. I said this before the WC. However I understand that their unbeaten streak made them dark horses, but today they were beaten by a team that pressed the hell out of them, defended well and scored a worldie. Obviously I'm not going to big up Saudi Arabia but today they as good as they could be.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Not buying this one bit. Argentina not good enough? To beat Saudi Arabia?
They literally weren't good enough today?

You watched the game I assume?

You would place the defeat on Messi? That's a little strange IMO as he without a doubt carried most of the attacking threat.

You want to rip all the credit from Saudi Arabia and turn it into blame for Messi? But not for any of the other players? That seems a little agenda driven to be honest.

I would count Messi as one of the better players today (on a poor day all round).

VP

This place is really infested with Ronaldo fanboys. Finally a good day for them I guess.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This place is really infested with Ronaldo fanboys. Finally a good day for them I guess.
If Ronnie had scored that penalty they'd all be going SIIIUUUU

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah and some of them are really transparent :lol:

It's really bitter and weird to try and turn that loss into Messi's problem IMO, there are a bunch of things I'd throw under the bus before I arrived at him today*.

* First and foremost I'd credit SA but that's an alien concept it seems.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
It so satsfying watching Messi playing like sh*t. Just another embarrassment in the long list of failures in the last five or so years :D.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah and some of them are really transparent :lol:

It's really bitter and weird to try and turn that loss into Messi's problem IMO, there are a bunch of things I'd throw under the bus before I arrived at him today*.

* First and foremost I'd credit SA but that's an alien concept it seems.
Not saying he wasn't to blame since I didn't see the game. But this line of thinking (his team lost -> bottler) is really common and so incredibly superficial and stupid that it only frustrates the shit out of you to talk with these brains. So better avoid it and let them have their fun. It's literally like discussing with conspiracy theorists.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Not saying he wasn't to blame since I didn't see the game. But this line of thinking (his team lost -> bottler) is really common and so incredibly superficial and stupid that it only frustrates the shit out of you to talk with these brains. So better avoid it and let them have their fun. It's literally like discussing with conspiracy theorists.
It's the same with all players or people there is an agenda against. It's really annoying that someone 'bottling' is a thing, especially in a team sport with 11 of you.

KeanoMagicHat

It's the same with all players or people there is an agenda against. It's really annoying that someone 'bottling' is a thing, especially in a team sport with 11 of you.
Also surely if he missed his penalty that would have been more grounds for ‘bottling’ but he scored it and played reasonably.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I agree.

Also surely if he missed his penalty that would have been more grounds for ‘bottling’ but he scored it and played reasonably.
Scores / plays well/ win : they don't appear or say "Lads it's Saudi Arabia"

Scores/ Plays ok / loss : mental gymnastics to avoid the fact that he scored the pen so they can call him a bottler.

Misses/ Plays shit/ Loss : he's washed

Righteous Steps

It’s credit to Ronald that he’s pushed himself to a level he could be compared to Messi cause anyone with a football brain would understand that an elite playmaker + elite goal scorer is better than a player who is just an elite scorer, it’s only in this modern world of fanboyism where people could make an argument for the inferior player being better based on non quantifiable things like ‘Mentality’ give it a rest.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
More or less the same probably. I was too busy watching my own team than come here to talk about Messi's poor form.
You seem to only be interested in coming in here to talk about Messi's poor form :lol: why else are you in here?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
To point out that it's only Clermont Foot and Troyes when this place gets out of hand
I was just confused why you would say that this isn't r/Soccer regarding the fanboyism when your main contribution is that :lol: you would fit right in on there.

It's kind of the ultimate fanboy pursuit?

Like you are obviously entitled to do what ever you like but it's funny you put down the soccer subreddit while dragging Redcafe debate down to that level.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

I was just confused why you would say that this isn't r/Soccer regarding the fanboyism when your main contribution is that :lol: you would fit right in on there.

Like you are obviously entitled to do what ever you like but it's funny you put down the soccer subreddit while dragging Redcafe debate down to that level.
I found his complaint, and expectation, to be more suitable on reddit where there is expected to be more neutrals. This is a united forum, and it's uncommon to see or expect Messi worship on any united forum not just the caf.

I also didn't put down the soccer subreddit, because like I said, its more of a neutral ground where fanboys of either are the norm.

RedDevil@84

If we go down that route, Rashford will probably have so many more goals in his career.

bakalhau

I thought he was Argentina's best player. Not a comment on whether he played well or not.

Lots of people have been waiting almost 20 years to finally 'be right' and have laugh at Ronaldo and Messi.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Scores / plays well/ win : they don't appear or say "Lads it's Saudi Arabia"

Scores/ Plays ok / loss : mental gymnastics to avoid the fact that he scored the pen so they can call him a bottler.

Misses/ Plays shit/ Loss : he's washed
I think this is fair, but the opposite is also true:

Scores / plays well/ win : "he's the GOAT. Look at all those assists in the Uber Eats League"

Scores/ Plays ok / loss : "Higuaín didn't score his chances, the team is too bad, the coach is worse,..."

Scores/ Plays shit/ Loss :
"At least he scored the pen against Saudi Arabia. His teammates are just too bad, refs disallowed 2 offside goals,..."

Misses/ Plays shit/ Loss : "football is too unfair, he deserves a World Cup,..."

RedDevil@84

Not sure if serious but football is a team effort and lets face it, Argentina is not good enough. Off course he is past his prime.
But he did score today, so if the defenders\Goalie did their job, Messi would be Mom then? Short line between heaven and hell.
Revisionism.
Argentina were marked as favorites to win the WC or at least make it to the finals. Brazil was another one. Popular opinion also put that one of those teams were winning this WC.
Now we are back to oh poor Messi, doesn't have quality team mates.