Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Mowinckel

Accurately? Probably not. There's definitely simple accounting things they can do with products like jersey sales, etc but it's assumed to be a very rough estimate.
The 30% of revenue myth was not just a rough estimate, it was pure rubbish. Its practically impossible to find the full study, but from what i remember from the tidbits that the authors revealed, the methods involved an evaluation based on simply removing all of messi's goals and assists and comparing where they would end up in the league - so effectively basing the estimate on the assumption of Barca playing with 10 players every match if Messi left. Also there was an assumption that because Messi was on the back of 80% of Barca's shirt sales, selling Messi would result in a 80% decrease in shirt sales. It definitely seems to be little more than a PR justification for his salary.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
As a PSG fan what is the best XI that poch can put out if everyone is fit and available? (Including Messi).
That's a VERY tough question since our team remains very unbalanced. In the CL, i'd probably play like that :

or

Rojow

I just read that by La Liga rules, a new contract cannot be less than 50% of the one that already existed. For the same Messi lowered his contract to the maximum allowed by the rules, but, in addition, to that is added the fact that Barcelona's salary mass was over 70%, which is the maximum that is required since this year. Even if Leo had decided to play for free, he would not have been able to, since the rules of La Liga do not allow it. On the other hand, as has already been said countless times on this topic, they are still over 70% in wages.

Now we will have to see what happens with all those players who continue to earn a lot for what little they do.

Griezzman, Coutinho and Pjanic are the top earners in Barcelona right now. A joke.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I just read that by La Liga rules, a new contract cannot be less than 50% of the one that already existed. For the same Messi lowered his contract to the maximum allowed by the rules, but, in addition, to that is added the fact that Barcelona's salary mass was over 70%, which is the maximum that is required since this year. Even if Leo had decided to play for free, he would not have been able to, since the rules of La Liga do not allow it. On the other hand, as has already been said countless times on this topic, they are still over 70% in wages.

Now we will have to see what happens with all those players who continue to earn a lot for what little they do.

Griezzman, Coutinho and Pjanic are the top earners in Barcelona right now. A joke.
Won't stop the "play for free" brigade.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

This statement is heavily disputed, see the comments under this tweet :

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Any idea if a left back will be signed or can be signed?
No credible news about that for now, there was rumors about Hernandez from Milan but it seems too expensive so as of today, no conclusive lead. Personnally, i'd go for Tagliafico (affordable and well rounded) but i haven't read anything about that.

Marwood

Is that true though when the previous one has ended and therefore the player is a free agent?

I get the 50% rule when the new contract is replacing a current, ongoing deal.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The 30% of revenue myth was not just a rough estimate, it was pure rubbish. Its practically impossible to find the full study, but from what i remember from the tidbits that the authors revealed, the methods involved an evaluation based on simply removing all of messi's goals and assists and comparing where they would end up in the league - so effectively basing the estimate on the assumption of Barca playing with 10 players every match if Messi left. Also there was an assumption that because Messi was on the back of 80% of Barca's shirt sales, selling Messi would result in a 80% decrease in shirt sales. It definitely seems to be little more than a PR justification for his salary.
I see, I wasn't even thinking of his goals/assists when talking about this but purely financial revenue based on the fact they had Messi, I don't think you'll ever find an actual set of data to prove or disprove that, but I wouldn't be shocked that Messi is directly responsible for 30% of their revenue, players like him have such a huge impact on the economy. I remember Lebron leaving the Cavaliers for the first time and the damage to the economy of Cleveland was estimated at over $200m. How they figured that? Who knows? Could it all be sensationalist bs? Maybe.

dinostar77

That's a VERY tough question since our team remains very unbalanced. In the CL, i'd probably play like that :

or

Thanks for that. Appreciated. The three man midfield looks a must with the lack of tracking back from the front three. If Mbappe leaves this summer then he gets replaced in formation A by icardi and formation B by Di Maria?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's going to be a strange moment if Messi ends up in Paris because speaking to my friends there, obviously everybody is super excited, and his presentation will be one of the most epic moments in Paris in a long time, but he's obviously crushed and saddened by all of this. The polarity of a sad Messi presented in front of thousands of rabid fans who couldn't be more excited would be really strange experience.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Thanks for that. Appreciated. The three man midfield looks a must with the lack of tracking back from the front three. If Mbappe leaves this summer then he gets replaced in formation A by icardi and formation B by Di Maria?
Probably yes, but replacing Mbappé by Di Maria would mean playing Messi as false 9 and i'm not really sure i like this option much.

The Firestarter

There is something missing here and I wonder if we are ever going to find out the whole story. Surely these la liga rules were known long before , and for some reason Barca delayed signing the contract, even signed more players . So was it always the case they could never register all of them unless the league changed regulations ? Seems like a strong Batman gambit if so. Or someone within the club actually wanted this to happen.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There is something missing here and I wonder if we are ever going to find out the whole story. Surely these la liga rules were known long before , and for some reason Barca delayed signing the contract, even signed more players . So was it always the case they could never register all of them unless the league changed regulations ? Seems like a strong Batman gambit if so.
Well, they were the part orchestrator of the Super League, so gambit is not so far-fetched from them. They wanted to either pressure La Liga by using the threat of Messi leaving, or they wanted Messi to leave all along but knew they couldn't survive the PR nightmare it would be for the fans so they've made this whole 'aw shucks' play where everybody all wanted the same thing but somehow could not make it happen.

dinostar77

Wtf?!? Barcelona are trying to block PSG from signing Messi.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2021/08/08/610fd80d22601db24f8b46bf.html

FC Barcelona
They threaten to denounce and block Messi's contract with PSG

Demand already issued before the Court of Appeals of Paris on behalf of culés partners.

Messi's soap opera, his departure from Barcelona and his next destination has a new chapter. A complaint has been lodged with the European Commission so that the possible contract that Leo could sign with Paris Saint-Germain is not carried out . And they are based on economic facts. "PSG's ratios in terms of 'Financial Fair Play' are worse than those of Fútbol Club Barcelona. In the 2019 season/20 the ratio between salaries and income of the Parisian team was 99%, while that of Barça was 54%....

Andy_Cole

FC Barcelona

Demand already issued before the Court of Appeals of Paris on behalf of culés partners.

Messi's soap opera, his departure from Barcelona and his next destination has a new chapter. A complaint has been lodged with the European Commission so that the possible contract that Leo could sign with Paris Saint-Germain is not carried out . And they are based on economic facts. "PSG's ratios in terms of 'Financial Fair Play' are worse than those of Fútbol Club Barcelona. In the 2019 season/20 the ratio between salaries and income of the Parisian team was 99%, while that of Barça was 54%....
If we can’t have him no one can

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

FC Barcelona

Nah it's a french celebrity lawyer and activist, Juan Branco, suing on behalf of a socios group on the grounds that it'll infringe financial fair play. He posted his statement on twitter earlier today, it's terrible, full of mistakes and it won't stick for a second. He doesn't know what he's talking about and is totally out of his depth.

dinostar77

Nah it's a french celebrity lawyer and activist, Juan Branco, suing on behalf of a socios group on the grounds that it'll infringe financial fair play. He posted his statement on twitter earlier today, it's terrible, full of mistakes and it won't stick for a second. He doesn't know what he's talking about and is totally out of his depth.
Cheers for clearing that up.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's almost cruel as there are some degenerates like the grown man who was crying at the gates of the Camp Nou that will hang on to this false hope for dear life.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's almost cruel as there are some degenerates like the grown man who was crying at the gates of the Camp Nou that will hang on to this false hope for dear life.
Yeah, it's pretty terrible, and as a lawyer it really pains me to see colleagues filing lawsuits like that without even doing basic research on how it works. He confused local FFP rules and UEFA's FFP.

I used to have a lot of respect for Branco a couple of years back when he was representing Julian Assange but celebrity really got to him. Too bad, he's a brilliant man.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Things were fixed a time ago, what we are seeing now...Drama

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Things were fixed a time ago, what we are seeing now...Drama
It seems its about some TV rights but I don't know more, could be about Messi who knows. Either way, if he doesn't come we'll actually be able to spend some money on players that are more suited for our lineup.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It seems its about some TV rights but I don't know more, could be about Messi who knows. Either way, if he doesn't come we'll actually be able to spend some money on players that are more suited for our lineup.
He will surely play for Paris. He has no other choice.
It is known what happens with the galactic model. It doesn't always work out, although PSG fans are going to enjoy it a lot, as we Madrid fans did in their day.
Thinking about Ramos/Messi I inmediately think of Ronaldinho / Beckham in their Milan version. Galácticos, but old galácticos, and I thought that after Beckham years ago they had already passed that phase.

I think there is a team that wants to give you fresh money so that you can complete the squad with more suited players

Cloud7

There is something missing here and I wonder if we are ever going to find out the whole story. Surely these la liga rules were known long before , and for some reason Barca delayed signing the contract, even signed more players . So was it always the case they could never register all of them unless the league changed regulations ? Seems like a strong Batman gambit if so. Or someone within the club actually wanted this to happen.
I think them (And to a lesser extent Madrid) put all their eggs in the Super League basket. They continued in their unsustainable manner from before because they thought the Super League was going to take effect and their issues would be solved, and they wouldn't be governed by any rules besides the ones them and the other big clubs made for themselves.

Pocho

Surely the Barcelona salary isn't his only source of income and he gets paid millions from sponsorship deals? I'm not sure if you can equate footballers to the common folks like us because our jobs are most likely our only/main source of income and we haven't been paid 500m in the last 5 years.
For a guy who's stayed at Barcelona for 20+ years where they've done everything to keep him happy including hiring the likes of Tata Martino, the best he can do is agree to reduce his weekly wage from 2m to 1m?
I mean all this is if he could have kept Barca afloat by playing for free. It's a moot point if even registering him for free isn't possible due to financial regulations.
Messi didn’t ask for Martino, on fact, they didn’t get along well at all

The Firestarter

I think them (And to a lesser extent Madrid) put all their eggs in the Super League basket. They continued in their unsustainable manner from before because they thought the Super League was going to take effect and their issues would be solved, and they wouldn't be governed by any rules besides the ones them and the other big clubs made for themselves.
I would ordinary think no one can be that delusional but with the leaked Flo audio , it makes perfect sense.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea

FC Barcelona

Didn't Barca and the Spanish FA try to pull the same stunts when PSG signed Neymar? It is kind of hilarious that the whole Barca meltdown started with PSG buying Neymar. Sometime in 2013, PSG threatened to buy Messi if Barca didn't stop openly tapping up Thiago Silva, and it appears there have been bad blood between the clubs ever since.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea

Jericho

It's like something out of Fifa where you've maxed out your resources on the transfer fee only to realize during the contract negotiation that you left nothing aside for the salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.