Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

Hopefully Messi would like to go to a club like the one he spent his career at.
You know, one with culture and history.

Should he reduce his wage demands, the door shouldn't even just be open. We should set the door on fire. Then we should blow it up for good measure.

mshnsh

Chelsea are going to pay North of €120M for Lukaku. If I were Abramovic, I'd rather use that money to pay Messi's wages and get a historic footballer playing for my club.

But PSG are favourites unless la liga feel the pressure to change their stance on the fair play rules.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
you should work for free for your love of your employer first.
This is ludicrous reasoning, similar to when the government compares the country's finances and ability of a country to borrow to the ability of a family to borrrow for a house.

Messi was made by Barcelona. They paid him well and he became a superstar with them. Then they paid him better and finally they paid him ludicrous amounts, so big that the club is basically bankrupt.

So stop this bullshit comparing normal people working on a wage to a billionaire who's bled the club he supposedly loves dry. If you want to play these games, go join a politics forum. They're not asking him to stay for free and would still pay him well in excess to other players on a 5-year contract.

Seems like nowadays it's never enough.

mshnsh

No, Brady likes to win and has spent his whole career taking lesser contracts so that the team can be built around him. Messi lacks the humility to do the same.
Honestly, you can't compare American pseudofootball to European football. American football and sport in general (and everything else in America) is about money money money.

It is the blue print for the proposed super league. Closed shop leagues designed to maximise income.

So, regardless of where the pseudo footballer Brady goes, he is sure to earn a tone of money. Just look at the advertisements to play time ratio in the superbowl.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If Messi now moves to PSG this is going to have so many remifications for different players and teams;

1. In the last few weeks there been more indications Ronaldo will go to PSG (Another league to add to his tally). If Messi goes there now, surely they cant afford both their wages + Neymar + Mbappe?!
There hasn't been any credible news linking Ronaldo to PSG for while now, it was pretty much announced he'd stay a Juventus, this move isn't going to happen.

This is ludicrous reasoning, similar to when the government compares the country's finances and ability of a country to borrow to the ability of a family to borrrow for a house.

Messi was made by Barcelona. They paid him well and he became a superstar with them. Then they paid him better and finally they paid him ludicrous amounts, so big that the club is basically bankrupt.

So stop this bullshit comparing normal people working on a wage to a billionaire who's bled the club he supposedly loves dry. If you want to play these games, go join a politics forum. They're not asking him to stay for free and would still pay him well in excess to other players on a 5-year contract.

Seems like nowadays it's never enough.
And on top of that, he earns 30M+/year in endorsement so it's not as if his bank account was in any kind of trouble... As you righfully mentionned, being a billionaire and a football player for a club he's supposed to love with millions of fans treating him like a god is not like working in a mine, i'm pretty sure he could spare a few millions to fulfill to finish his career there if he wanted to.

Oranges038

He has so much money already he could sign on for free for 5 years and still be set for several lifetimes.

If he really loved Barca he would at least play for free for one year. But he's so greedy he'd prefer to tarnish his legacy at the club by basically leaving them when they are almost bankrupt, largely based on his own salary for the last few years.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Honestly, you can't compare American pseudofootball to European football. American football and sport in general (and everything else in America) is about money money money.

It is the blue print for the proposed super league. Closed shop leagues designed to maximise income.

So, regardless of where the pseudo footballer Brady goes, he is sure to earn a tone of money. Just look at the advertisements to play time ratio in the superbowl.
And yet, there's a lot of stories of NBA players taking a huge pay cut on purpose to build a better team. When Lebron and Bosh joined Dwayne Wade in Miami, the three of them each left 15M+ on the table because they wanted to win more than they wanted a bigger paycheck.

Blood Mage

As some others have said, I'll believe this when I see it. I think La Liga will cave and issue rule changes to allow Barca to pay Messi what he wants.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Pedrerol's job may be at stake (in kayfabe i.e. I'm not taking this too seriously) given Messi's situation:

Womp

idiot
He has so much money already he could sign on for free for 5 years and still be set for several lifetimes.

If he really loved Barca he would at least play for free for one year. But he's so greedy he'd prefer to tarnish his legacy at the club by basically leaving them when they are almost bankrupt, largely based on his own salary for the last few years.
He wanted to leave last year, they didn't let him. People were complaining about how he was a one club wonder and didn't want to leave, now you're seeing comments like this because he is leaving. Why the feck should he play for free. Would you work for free? He's a fecking professional, this is his job. Regardless of if he loves the club or not is irrelevant.

This best for both parties, he gets to move to a club where he isn't the only hope of winning anything and Barca get heaps more breathing space to begin their imo long as feck rebuilding process.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Business has just picked up.

I wonder how far PSG's commercial partners will go to allow Messi to join PSG.

Eternitiy

Signing the best player of all time is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Do whatever it takes. United can afford him.

caleb2003

If we were truly the 'biggest club in the world' as the Glazer marketers make out then we would be top of the queue in for him immediately. Of course we know that won't happen but hopefully he goes to France and not Beswick

Frank Sinatra Fan

And yet, there's a lot of stories of NBA players taking a huge pay cut on purpose to build a better team. When Lebron and Bosh joined Dwayne Wade in Miami, the three of them each left 15M+ on the table because they wanted to win more than they wanted a bigger paycheck.
Hasn't Messi already agreed for a 50% salary reduction, but it wasn't low enough for La Liga to accept?

Anyway, I would never expect this current situation. I always thought that the moment Messi left Barcelona would have every big european club willing to kill their mother to buy Messi. It's Messi, no need to say more. But seems that only PSG or City might buy him. If they don't, it would a terrible waste for football to have Messi not playing for one season.

choccy77

Messi loves Barcelona, but the truth is, he loves money more.

PSG will sign him and his salary is going to be pathetic.

Messi could have stayed for a minimum salary and helped Barca recover over time & build younger team around him in the next 4 to 5 years.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
As opposed to European football which is all about team pride and the integrity of the clubs involved?

To be fair, these comparisons are most always frivolous; I’m not sure how much they apply to Messi’s case.

The Firestarter

Obviously the only reason he is going to PSG is to be coached by the brilliant Mauricio Pochetino.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
If only the Glazer's cared about what the fans thought of them, then they would move heaven and earth to get Messi to Old Trafford to make up for at least some of the shit housery they've been up to since they bought the club.

Womp

idiot
Messi loves Barcelona, but the truth is, he loves money more.

PSG will sign him and his salary is going to be pathetic.

Messi could have stayed for a minimum salary and helped Barca recover over time & build younger team around him in the next 4 to 5 years.
He is 34 years old. He doesn't have that kind of time anymore. He's stayed for years despite them being uncompetitive. He also agreed to a pay cut did he not?

Simply put at PSG he has better footballing and financial circumstances. Seeing some outlandish takes here, as if the people suggesting he should play for free etc. would do their job for free. How much he earns is irrelevant, he isn't operating a charity. He's a professional, this is his job. People move from organisation to organisation all the time, regardless of their feelings towards it.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If only the Glazer's cared about what the fans thought of them, then they would move heaven and earth to get Messi to Old Trafford to make up for at least some of the shit housery they've been up to since they bought the club.
I would rather bring Ronaldo back than go for Messi. I’m actually very curious about where he goes next summer. Rumours were he’d go to PSG and if Messi goes there than it’s out of the question.
I guess he could be a plan B if for some reason we can’t get Haaland next summer.

MUFC OK

Changed my mind on this. la Liga will not want to lose its largest marketable asset and will enforce a rule change to allow messi to register.

Bookies odds are just above evens for him to stay. Reckon he’ll sign a mew contract :boring:

USREDEVIL

Changed my mind on this. la Liga will not want to lose its largest marketable asset and will enforce a rule change to allow messi to register.

Bookies odds are just above evens for him to stay. Reckon he’ll sign a mew contract :boring:
Even after the official club announcement saying he's not staying? I think it's over johnny.

edcunited1878

Asking commercial partners to simply pony up more cash just as most companies are entering Q3 or at least well into their budgets for next year is hilarious and a complete oversight.

PSG are in the same boat as City where they can and have fudged commercial numbers to inflate their earnings and fall within "FFP" (or what is left of it). To that, Qatar Sports Investment will make this Messi deal happen. It's been examined for well over a year now.

PSG are going to these commercial partners and saying, hey look, we can sign Messi, but only if you're able to stump up tens of millions of Euros in a matter of 40 or so days. Then on top of that, commercial brands will have to redo their activation and commercial strategies to compliment Messi. Commercial partners will have a say, but not as big of a financial push as the club are making it out to be.

PSG are the only side that can afford Messi, or more specifically...at state owned and run investment program like QSI. They got the World Cup, they will get Messi.

shahzy

Well £64m a year wasn’t enough for him so I doubt it..
Yeh tbh this is why I actually don't want him. He's just too expensive. Will cause unrest. Great player who's absolutely priced him out of every club bar 2 which happen to be oil clubs

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Hasn't Messi already agreed for a 50% salary reduction, but it wasn't low enough for La Liga to accept?

Anyway, I would never expect this current situation. I always thought that the moment Messi left Barcelona would have every big european club willing to kill their mother to buy Messi. It's Messi, no need to say more. But seems that only PSG or City might buy him. If they don't, it would a terrible waste for football to have Messi not playing for one season.
The salary deduction was for his basic salary only. Included in the contract was a bunch of easily achievable bonuses that would make his overall contract about the same. Pay cut my ass.

redpatron

I would rather bring Ronaldo back than go for Messi. I’m actually very curious about where he goes next summer. Rumours were he’d go to PSG and if Messi goes there than it’s out of the question.
I guess he could be a plan B if for some reason we can’t get Haaland next summer.
i would avoid both. its too much of a circus with two declining players on absurd wages.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He fits in like OJ Simpson's glove with that bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.