Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahzy

He wanted to leave last year, they didn't let him. People were complaining about how he was a one club wonder and didn't want to leave, now you're seeing comments like this because he is leaving. Why the feck should he play for free. Would you work for free? He's a fecking professional, this is his job. Regardless of if he loves the club or not is irrelevant.

This best for both parties, he gets to move to a club where he isn't the only hope of winning anything and Barca get heaps more breathing space to begin their imo long as feck rebuilding process.
I think most reasonable people are saying he shouldn't be demanding the wages he asks for. There's 2 clubs in football that can afford that. That's oil clubs only. When a normally run club tries to match those expectations they'd be bled dry as has been the case

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No idea what he says but still it’s funny to see.

Womp

idiot
I think most reasonable people are saying he shouldn't be demanding the wages he asks for. There's 2 clubs in football that can afford that. That's oil clubs only. When a normally run club tries to match those expectations they'd be bled dry as has been the case
The key point here being: he most likely doesn't want to be there, hasn't wanted to since last year. He knows they are done as a footballing project (at least in his career), as a result, to stay, which they basically forced him to do btw, he wanted financial compensation. He also brings in a shit load of interest into a league which by all accounts is beginning to struggle in that regard.

If they can't pay him, there are others who will. I don't see how it's reasonable to expect someone to stay at a club who he knows won't compete in Europe, won't pay him what he's expecting and threatened to take him to court to force him to stay. There is very little benefit to staying there for him at the moment. If anything, it's impacting his perception as a footballer too - if he doesn't leave, the fact that he 'never did it at another club' will always be that argument that won't feck off.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that he supposedly was willing to take a pay cut to stay.

It's not his fault they are broke, he's done shit loads for that club, as they have done for him. No-one owes anyone anything further. He's completely in his right to leave, just like any other professional has the right to pursue better career opportunities. Barcelona very clearly were happy to pay his wages, that's what negotiation is for, if they weren't, they shouldn't have accepted his/his agent's terms, that simple imo.

432JuanMata

This is amazing. It's a shame the closest we have to something like this in Ireland/UK is gobshites on Talksport.
I can understand to be fair. If you are spainish or a La liga fan for the past 10+ years you had arguably the 2 best teams in the world with some of the best defenders and especially midfielders, one with Messi one with Ronaldo performing every week. Most would tune in too see Messi score 2 and assist 2 then Ronaldo later score a hat trick it was peak football.

Now it’s the end of a era, La Liga is declining. Ronaldo has been gone 2 years and Mr Barca is leaving when it seemed he would spend his whole career there. Both clubs are dealing with issues Real have Kroos/Modric declining Ramos gone they lost Ronaldo 2 seasons ago and don’t have the money to replace them. Barca budget over the last few years has been spent on Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann all having been let downs.

This announcement has been big news. Within 6 mins of been announced on Twitter Messi had more tweets than the next talked about thing in the world for that day. 6 mins !!!

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Imagine united being the only club to have both ronaldo and messi play for them in their careers :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Never happen but wow.

I'd be more thrilled if a team managed to get him while also keeping Ronaldo, or any other team for that matter. Despite being compared a lot at this stage of their careers they aren't as similar in terms of playstyle and at such I think they could both play for the same team without overlaping.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I still believe hes staying and all this will be remembered as a theater play

The Firestarter

Some people over there have really drank the kool aid, and I just hope they don't follow through with how that phrase began.

Gandalf

Honestly, you can't compare American pseudofootball to European football. American football and sport in general (and everything else in America) is about money money money.

It is the blue print for the proposed super league. Closed shop leagues designed to maximise income.

So, regardless of where the pseudo footballer Brady goes, he is sure to earn a tone of money. Just look at the advertisements to play time ratio in the superbowl.
Brady earns less than Messi despite playing in a richer sport. You are entitled to your opinions here but it doesn’t change the fact that you are completely wrong.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
City will save themselves the £160m for Kane, sign Messi and then Haaland next season for £65m. Sorted.
City will definitely go for Messi. I don't think they will pursue Haaland even next year. Kane and Zaha will be stuck at their current clubs for the rest of their best years.

He’ll remain at Barcelona, I absolutely guarantee it.

You heard it here first (aside from the many other posters on Redcafe, Twitter, Facebook etc that have already said this).

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Not really a surprise, considering they simply couldn't register him. Will be really interesting where he ends up now, though still a chance that La Liga cave and allow Barca a loop hole to register him somehow.

Either way he is going to have to take a bit of a pay cut. Well at least on paper.

Dan-Utd

He's been out of contract for some time... They are now saying he's leaving... They say they wanted him to stay... They say he wanted to stay.

As a free agent Barca can sign him anytime they want? the transfer deadline doesn't apply... So I think he will stay as I just can't see Mr Barcelona's reign ending in this way.

The thing I find the most strange about Messi is the astronomical wages he is rumoured to have been getting... the man who apparently loves and supports the club which usually means you want the club to be successful and in a healthy financial position... is one of the reasons that they are in such a devastating financial position.

I can't think of any other time when a one club man has contributed towards the financial downfall of his club, it's bonkers.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think La Liga will cut Barca a deal at this point. If Tebas was willing to relax the spending caps, surely he would have done so in a less obvious way earlier in the summer, framing it as a decision that wasn't about any one club and was about helping Spanish football clubs in general, etc. If he reverses course now specifically to help Barcelona after he has said over and over that he would not do exactly that, the favoritism and cronyism is just too obvious.

RedDevil@84

:lol:

Saint Messi was kind enough to be in Barcelona and go all the way there to sign. But Barcelona were not ready. So Messi forgave them and blessed them for their honesty.

It is completely unbelievable that Messi's entourage had discussed everything on the contract and was on verge of signing, when it was public knowledge that La Liga was not going to allow any signings.

432JuanMata

Man, this is some clip. I don't know how to feel about this (pity or cringe).
I wouldn’t say cringe he is Mr Barcelona. This is a huge moment in there history especially considering they don’t have the money to replace him and are miles off the pace of the top teams in Europe.

wise_old_man

Obviously we should sign Messi as soon as possible.

Then, out of nowhere, announce Ronaldo as well.

The prospect of Ronaldo and Messi on the same team will effectively break the internet. We can manufacture a shirt with both of their names on it, and probably sell ~50m of them. At £40 per shirt, that's £2bn which will pay both of their wages for the next two years.

Also, we can play them either side of Edinson Cavani and have a front three with a combined age over 100, so they'll get a telegram from the Queen.
Not sure if complete lunacy or pure genius. :drool:

peridigm

Didn't Barca approach several players to renegotiate their contracts and take a pay cut so they could meet Messi's wage demands, only to not be able to extend a contract to Messi?
So they've essentially trimmed the wage bill buy negotiating down players who are staying, but also weaseled out of a ridiculous contract for Messi.
Did they know all along they could not extend his contract? If so, that's rough on the players who took one for the team.

432JuanMata

Didn't Barca approach several players to renegotiate their contracts and take a pay cut so they could meet Messi's wage demands, only to not be able to extend a contract to Messi?
So they've essentially trimmed the wage bill buy negotiating down players who are staying, but also weaseled out of a ridiculous contract for Messi.
Did they know all along they could not extend his contract? If so, that's rough on the players who took one for the team.
I’m not sure what Barca where thinking as surely they knew the La Liga rules. I feel bad for them players also for Aguero who’s best friend is Messi and joined because of him now he’s gone :lol::lol:

Cloud7

I will genuinely only believe this when I see him actually wearing the jersey of another club

Wittmann45

Posted by @Hoof The Ball in the transfer thread and I didn't see it in here. It's an interesting little twist

Until this afternoon, everything indicated that Messi was going to sign his new contract with Barça. Then Javier Tebas announced to Joan Laporta that if he refused the agreement with the CVC investment fund, the Argentine would not be registered in La Liga.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He has so much money already he could sign on for free for 5 years and still be set for several lifetimes.

If he really loved Barca he would at least play for free for one year. But he's so greedy he'd prefer to tarnish his legacy at the club by basically leaving them when they are almost bankrupt, largely based on his own salary for the last few years.
Yes, he's so greedy. Barcelona gave him everything and he did absolutely nothing for them in all his career. What a cnut.

Hoof the ball

As reported, Messi offered to play at 30% his usual wage. Messi's contractual wage isn't the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.