Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

Because that's only true for 2020 due to covid, outside of it it's not higher than their revenue. Also they can perfectly afford his wage if they don't have the likes Coutinho and Griezmann who weren't needed and cost them an absolute fortune. Keep in mind that Messi contract predate those deals.
From what I've read costs were outstripping revenue in the four years leading upto covid? Wages were already 70% of revenue pre covid? Which is crazy high anyway.

I'm not as up on this as others but also a big chunk of existing debt is also due to be paid soon? It looks like covid added fuel to the fire but they were always heading into major problems.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
From what I've read costs were outstripping revenue in the four years leading upto covid? Wages were already 70% of revenue pre covid? Which is crazy high anyway.

I'm not as up on this as others but also a big chunk of existing debt is also due to be paid soon? It looks like covid added fuel to the fire but they were always heading into major problems.
The ratio was high but not uncommon in football a lot of smaller clubs are above 70%, people seem to not realize how football finances actually are. Regarding loans some of them have been renegotiated earlier this year, they don't have short term issues on that front.

Here you have an example of wage ratio in the PL from Deloitte

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
No space for a 37 year old Ronaldo in that line up.
No, there isn't.

I just think the idea of being the man who stuck Messi and Ronaldo on the same team would be incredibly alluring for someone with endless cash and a massive ego.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Lionel Messi will not arrive in Paris tonight. The Argentine is waiting for full agreement to be reached with PSG to come to the French capital. This is not yet the case tonight.

Rolaholic

Their new president said that without Messi on the books wages would represent 95% of their income, with Messi on the books it would've been 110% :houllier:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No, there isn't.

I just think the idea of being the man who stuck Messi and Ronaldo on the same team would be incredibly alluring for someone with endless cash and a massive ego.
That's been the mission, to get one or the other, but even ego can't take away how dumb of an idea it would be to add CR7 to that PSG team now, even if Mbappe leaves next season.

Marwood

The ratio was high but not uncommon in football a lot of smaller clubs are above 70%, people seem to not realize how football finances actually are. Regarding loans some of them have been renegotiated earlier this year, they don't have short term issues on that front.

Here you have an example of wage ratio in the PL from Deloitte
But their salary cap review was done before those renegotiations I think?

Some of those wage rations are higher than expected, thanks for highlighting them, but I was aware of the possible disaster many clubs are heading into. However Bournemouth being insane high doesn't mean Barcelona were doing ok. Even 70% seems incredibly risky, as we've now seen.

But still, when costs are outstripping revenue year after year before covid, I find it difficult to say they could afford Messi.

Yeah they've made disastrous signings all over the place and offered stupid wages but Messi's contract to me is part of that.

It seems to be how football is. One guy gets a stupidly high amount and the next guy uses that to inform his demands. We're probably seeing that now with Pogba.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Their new president said that without Messi on the books wages would represent 95% of their income, with Messi on the books it would've been 110% :houllier:
I read somewhere that his impact on revenue generated for the club before was around 30%, so makes sense he represents half of that in cost after negotiating his deal. Now I wonder if those figures quoted would be with the new contract or the old one. I believe he said he offered a 30-50% pay cut with 50% being the maximum allowed under Spanish law.

Rolaholic

'Messi in the black car? No but that didn't stop supporters from believing it anyway'

He's really bigger than their club :lol: :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What a fecking boring and obvious move. I always thought that if Messi left it would be huge. And him leaving Barca is huge, but going to PSG...come on. It's so dull. There's just nothing exciting about the prospect of him going there and walking the league (yes, I'm aware that they didn't win it last year for the first time in forever), and then probably going on to win the Champions League. But so what. What does it mean, really?

Disappointed that he chose them. He was always going to, but come on Lionel

Marwood

I read somewhere that his impact on revenue generated for the club before was around 30%, so makes sense he represents half of that in cost after negotiating his deal. Now I wonder if those figures quoted would be with the new contract or the old one. I believe he said he offered a 30-50% pay cut with 50% being the maximum allowed under Spanish law.
I wonder how they work out the revenue generated by an individual player. Got my doubts about that, that it could accurately be done.

JPRouve

Scout
But their salary cap review was done before those renegotiations I think?

Some of those wage rations are higher than expected, thanks for highlighting them, but I was aware of the possible disaster many clubs are heading into. However Bournemouth being insane high doesn't mean Barcelona were doing ok. Even 70% seems incredibly risky, as we've now seen.

But still, when costs are outstripping revenue year after year before covid, I find it difficult to say they could afford Messi.

Yeah they've made disastrous signings all over the place and offered stupid wages but Messi's contract to me is part of that.

It seems to be how football is. One guy gets a stupidly high amount and the next guy uses that to inform his demands. We're probably seeing that now with Pogba.
What do you mean by that?

And the reason cost outstripped revenues is because they added ridiculous expenses after 2017. To put it simply if I purchase a house today, a house that I can afford and then decide to purchase several cars and appartments that I don't need and put my expensive above my revenues, it doesn't mean that I couldn't afford the house, it means that I failed to make and follow a budget.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I wonder how they work out the revenue generated by an individual player. Got my doubts about that, that it could accurately be done.
Accurately? Probably not. There's definitely simple accounting things they can do with products like jersey sales, etc but it's assumed to be a very rough estimate.

Marwood

What do you mean by that?

And the reason cost outstripped revenues is because they added ridiculous expenses after 2017. To put it simply if I purchase a house today, a house that I can afford and then decide to purchase several cars and appartments that I don't need and put my expensive above my revenues, it doesn't mean that I couldn't afford the house, it means that I failed to make and follow a budget.
Don't they assess the overall health of the club before imposing the salary cap? Part of that being the loans that were maturing soon? That will have formed part of the cap? Those loans were renegotiated after that calculation? I could well be wrong, I haven't followed it too closely.

I get your analogy about the house and yeah had they not offered silly wages to other players then they could afford Messi.

But if your house was still incredibly extravagant in its price, so much so that it pushed you close to a limit and also dictated your other costs(Griezmann doesn't get his salary without Messi) you have to question overall was it wise to spend that much? Even if technically you could afford it.

I think a club has to take a stance at times. Even if technically they can afford something, how does it fit with the ethos of a well run organisation. Bayern probably the best example of this.

JPRouve

Scout
Don't they assess the overall health of the club before imposing the salary cap? Part of that being the loans that were maturing soon? That will have formed part of the cap? Those loans were renegotiated after that calculation? I could well be wrong, I haven't followed it too closely.

I get your analogy about the house and yeah had they not offered silly wages to other players then they could afford Messi.

But if your house was still incredibly extravagant in its price, so much so that it pushed you close to a limit and also dictated your other costs(Griezmann doesn't get his salary without Messi) you have to question overall was it wise to spend that much? Even if technically you could afford it.

I think a club has to take a stance at times. Even if technically they can afford something, how does it fit with the ethos of a well run organisation. Bayern probably the best example of this.
Who is they? The salary cap is a standard ratio of 70%, there is no assessment of a club health.

And your point makes little sense because in the case of Messi, your house generates revenues, it contributes to your overall wealth and is actually the best investment that you can afford. Griezmann shouldn't be a cost at all, it's totally superfluous as was Coutinho. It's important to make a distinction between frivolous spendings like Griezmann and Coutinho and a crucial investment like Messi and it makes absolutely no sense to link one to the other or try to make the point that a spending that shouldn't exist at all is the fruit of the best player in the world being paid like the best player in the world. Messi is irreplaceable while Griezmann and Coutinho are useless for Barcelona, I'm not using useless as a derogatory term but literally useless which is why Coutinho was eventually loaned while Griezmann was a questionable starter since Barcelona didn't use a system that made good use of him.

I get that you think that Messi earned too much, it's a point that can be made based on personal opinions. But in the context of judging what Barcelona could afford, it's not debateable, they could afford it and do it while having one of the best teams in the world instead they somehow added players that put them over their budget that also didn't contribute to positive on-field performances.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Success shouldn't be dependent on how many fans you have.

If you bring through youth, are very prudent with transfers, you deserve a shot at glory without being asset stripped by big clubs.

Here in the states, big teams like the Knicks and Cowboys have not been able to win for decades because of stupid management,
while small teams win all the time. I get the different dynamics of the sports and markets and what not but that is what sport should be about. It shouldn't be about traditional big clubs having a virtual oligopoly. It shouldn't be about oil clubs buying their way to the top. My issue is that many fans close their eye to one issue (because they benefit from it) while attacking the other. If both can't fall let both stand then, is my stance

Well you're describing the counter-problem to the financial doping in European football: Franchies in America, or more importantly: Draft picks. and no competition through qualification.

The Super League was an attempt at mimmicking American franchies sports and it was rejected outright.

There are plenty of teams that are up and coming thanks to their own hard work, teams like Leicester, Aston Villa and West Ham are sniffing on joining the old boys club.

JPRouve

Scout
Well you're describing the counter-problem to the financial doping in European football: Franchies in America, or more importantly: Draft picks. and no competition through qualification.

The Super League was an attempt at mimmicking American franchies sports and it was rejected outright.

There are plenty of teams that are up and coming thanks to their own hard work, teams like Leicester, Aston Villa and West Ham are sniffing on joining the old boys club.
And the small help of a sugar daddy. :angel:

Eddy_JukeZ

I do not believe Laporta ever wanted Messi to stay.

It's very convenient for both parties to blame La Liga for this exit.

I do not believe Laporta ever wanted Messi to stay.

It's very convenient for both parties to blame La Liga for this exit.
Plenty of us been arguing this for weeks, was obvious Barça could not afford him, yet the gimps on here kept banging on about how he makes Barça more than he costs :lol:

I guess this gullible bunch had a hell of a shock yesterday when they finally realised that no, Messi doesn’t make 30% of Barça’s revenue for fecks sake.

Last edited:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Plenty of us been arguing this for weeks, was obvious Barça could not afford him, yet the gimps on here kept banging on about how he makes Barça more than he costs :lol:

I guess this gullible bunch had a hell of a shock yesterday when the my finally realised that no, Messi doesn’t make 30% of Barça’s revenue for fecks sake.
Absolute muppets

RedStarUnited

'Messi in the black car? No but that didn't stop supporters from believing it anyway'

He's really bigger than their club :lol: :lol:
“their club”

Just for a second Imagine Messi was flying in to Manchester to sign for us…

RedStarUnited

I guess this gullible bunch had a hell of a shock yesterday when the my finally realised that no, Messi doesn’t make 30% of Barça’s revenue for fecks sake.
Theres no way to calculate this but if you only looked at the footballing aspect, he is probably worth 30% of revenue.

Its better to pay Messi than to pay Coutinho, Dembele and Griezeman the salaries they are getting.

Jacob

Wonder which the other two clubs are that have made offers to Messi.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Signing Greizmann, Coutinho and Dembele for ridiculous fees when in truth they didn't really need any of them really has come back to bite them hard. They could be keeping Messi without those awful awful mistakes and brought in some younger exciting player who didn't cost them an arm and a leg.

Shambles of a club. They almost make Woodward look semi competent.

dinostar77

Wonder which the other two clubs are that have made offers to Messi.
Alledgedly via intermediaries it was us and chelsea. Our offer was nowhere near what PSG offered. Just to add i dont believe we made an offer via intermediaries but thats what was reported by football correspondant Ian Mcgarry.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I guess this gullible bunch had a hell of a shock yesterday when they finally realised that no, Messi doesn’t make 30% of Barça’s revenue for fecks sake.
:lol:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I can actually pretty easily picture Messi in a PSG jersey.

I'd have thought it'd be difficult to adjust mentality to the idea of him playing somewhere else but I can make sense of him at PSG surprisingly quickly. Anywhere else and it would've been too weird but PSG just kind of makes sense.

dinostar77

No space for a 37 year old Ronaldo in that line up.
Agreed. Wonder if Messi at PSG changes Pogba's mind about his prefered destination when he runs down his contract. PSG with neymar and messi etc or Madrid with maybe Mbappe.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I can actually pretty easily picture Messi in a PSG jersey.

I'd have thought it'd be difficult to adjust mentality to the idea of him playing somewhere else but I can make sense of him at PSG surprisingly quickly. Anywhere else and it would've been too weird but PSG just kind of makes sense.
It's because our colors are red and blue ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.