Lionel Messi

Oldham

Yeah me too. So lucky to be able to see this genius play every week...Cheered me up a bit after our performance to see how football should be...

VanKenny

Messi 2020/2021 in La Liga

1st in goals
1st in assists
1st in dribbles
1st in shots
1st in opportunities created
1st in key passes

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
His finish for the second goal is just beautiful - it's so simple, yet it's perfect. Most would whack it, or go far post.
He's ridiculous.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Insane and this is declined version.

MS4

Ridcolously good, unbelievable how people can question him

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a brilliant goal, all started from halfway line, with some good one two and intelligent move, great control and fine finish.

And winning a cup trophy is not too bad this season too, during the so called rebuild process.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Great goal, but one of the worst co-commentators I've ever heard.
This.

Anyway do we think Messi is staying at Barcelona for now? He looks a lot happier these days compared to early season and they are still in the title race although it will be hard to nick it.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It really struck me yesterday how happy he looked on the pitch.. Genuine smiles, celebrating with his teammates.. Sincere words after the game as well.. This seemed so far away a couple months ago... Im so hoping he will stay at Barca.. Just how it should be..

Gehrman

Already on 2 goals before half-time. Think he'll get a hattrick tonight.

Hoof the ball

Already on 2 goals before half-time. Think he'll get a hattrick tonight.
Also, probably should have had an assist when he put Griezmann through who just lost his footing. Not to mention the curler from the edge of the box that clipped the underside of the bar. When he's on it, which is most of the time, there's not much you can do.

DaGOAT

Ronaldo 32 goals and 4 assists all competitions.

Messi 33 goals and 14 assists in all competitions.

I still think Messi is the better and more complete player.

Gehrman

Ronaldo 32 goals and 4 assists all competitions.

Messi 33 goals and 14 assists in all competitions.

I still think Messi is the better and more complete player.
Wrong thread though isn't? Also Messi is about 2,5 years younger. Messi will always be on top of things like dribbling, keypasses and chance creation. Also he has 21 motm awards vs Ronaldo's 7.

Last edited:

Bole Top

I'm kinda used to what he is and how good he is, but those stats are simply insane.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Wrong thread though isn't? Also Messi is about 2,5 years younger. Messi will always be on top of things like dribbling, keypasses and chance creation. Also he has 21 motm awards vs Ronaldo's 7.

To be fair that Shearer and Rooney stat doesn't look at the full picture. La Liga defences in the teams at the bottom are not as good as in the PL and never have been.

Obviously Messi is a better goalscorer than both of them and the amount of seasons he has played, if he was in the PL would have still broken Shearers record.

Gehrman

To be fair that Shearer and Rooney stat doesn't look at the full picture. La Liga teams in the teams at the bottom
I'm not sure what you mean? I mean obviously there is some nuance here such as Alan Shearer played for Newcastle and Blackburn, Rooney was rarely played as a pure striker, the relative strength of the PL etc. However despite Messi not having defensive duties, he's not a pure striker in the first place. He's always drop far deeper than pure 9's and even more so after the creative burden has been put on him.

Anyway as you can see here, he's scored more goals against the strongest teams than the weaks ones.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/lionel-messi/bilanz/spieler/28003

He's scored the most of his goals against.

1. Sevilla
2. Athletico Madrid
3. Athletic Bilbao
4. Valencia
5. Real Madrid
6. Betis.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To be fair that Shearer and Rooney stat doesn't look at the full picture. La Liga defences in the teams at the bottom are not as good as in the PL and never have been.

Obviously Messi is a better goalscorer than both of them and the amount of seasons he has played, if he was in the PL would have still broken Shearers record.
Is there any basis for this claim? Because I really don't see why EPL teams should be better at defending. I'd say it's harder to score in the EPL because there are 6-9 teams with enough quality for European competitions while in Spain, the peak is much thinner. But the bottom? Nah. If anything, the underdog teams in Spain, Germany and Italy are better organized and drilled.

Shark

@NotShark
Is there any basis for this claim? Because I really don't see why EPL teams should be better at defending. I'd say it's harder to score in the EPL because there are 6-9 teams with enough quality for European competitions while in Spain, the peak is much thinner. But the bottom? Nah. If anything, the underdog teams in Spain, Germany and Italy are better organized and drilled.
More drilled how? If anything you could say more of them actually attempt to play football rather than putting ten men behind the ball like they do in England. Leeds are a prime example of more of the sort of lower half teams you see in Spain. I'm sure United for one would prefer to play them every week over Burnley.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I used to be one of those folks in the Ronnie camp instead. No longer - how he just keeps going is amazing. The way he picked himself back up after some dark days - and then did a 180 it seems in finding a lot of joy in the game and his teammates again is amazing to watch. It's like he went back in time 5 years.

Gehrman

I used to be one of those folks in the Ronnie camp instead. No longer - how he just keeps going is amazing. The way he picked himself back up after some dark days - and then did a 180 it seems in finding a lot of joy in the game and his teammates again is amazing to watch. It's like he went back in time 5 years.
He looks reborn without the beard. I don't know why he ever ditched the long hair. That was the coolest looking Messi.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
More drilled how? If anything you could say more of them actually attempt to play football rather than putting ten men behind the ball like they do in England. Leeds are a prime example of more of the sort of lower half teams you see in Spain. I'm sure United for one would prefer to play them every week over Burnley.
That's part of being well drilled. In modern football you defend with the ball as much as you do without it.

Moreover, teams park the bus in those leagues, too. Bielefeld for example had 22% possession against Leverkusen and 18% against Leipzig just a few weeks ago. They simply aren't doing it all the time - it's a question of game plans. If you guys struggle against deep blocks, you'd encounter plenty of them in other leagues, too.

And I doubt United would prefer playing Leeds over Burnley. People put too much emphasis on snapshots. Proactive approaches to football pay off at all levels.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

I’m curious: what is the actual evidence for this statement? If you can provide something concrete, then I’ll accept it. If not, then we just have to accept that Messi has scored more goals than the two all-time best premier league goalscorers (combined) against the same level of competition. In 400+ less games

Gazza

I’m curious: what is the actual evidence for this statement? If you can provide something concrete, then I’ll accept it. If not, then we just have to accept that Messi has scored more goals than the two all-time best premier league goalscorers (combined) against the same level of competition. In 400+ less games
shearer was scoring against some crap defences in the early 90s too

VanKenny

He's having a Balon D'or worthy season. If Barcelona manage the impossible and win the league after the horrible 2020 start of the season, then i think its a given.

Rojow

Anyone calling farmers league La Liga is being sarcastic or i don't know. At technical level it's been the best for years. Only now is weaker.

I doubt he wins another Ballon D'or. He should, but it's a routine for him to have this kind of level, people are just used to it. I literally will cry when he retires.