Lionel Messi

MS4

Not in top3 for ballon dor. Still funny :-)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It just depends on your definition of 'best player' really. If it's in terms of ability, then I'd agree with you 100%. I prefered the younger Ronaldo, especially the dribbling one for us circa 2005-2008. And I'd agree that Messi is the better player, at times it looks like running with a ball is easier for him than running without.

I was just making the point that for a lot of people 'best player' is also dependant on performances on the big stage and trophies won - which is reflected in the Ballon D'or haul over the last couple of years. Ronaldo's goals and all round performances in the CL knockout stages of the last 3 years were far superior to Messi's. That said though I like both and I think both tend to get underrated and overrated by those who like one too much, so I won't argue for or against either and leave it that.

Must say it is impressive that Messi's kept up his level at 31, a lot of attacking players start to decline past 30 especially in dribbling but Messi still looks very good. Curious to see how many years he can keep it up for, I'm guessing as long as Ronaldo's around that'll be a motivator for him.
By definition it is ridiculous to use team performances as a criterion for individual quality. You are not doing it directly but the participation in the knockout stages is highly dependant on your team's quality, so at the very least it affects your rating indirectly. Ronaldo could be the exact same player but if he played for a weak team he wouldn't have achieved anything in the last three years.

But yes, there are obviously a lot of people who think that way. If you ask me, this is just being lazy as they only apply these criteria in this particular debate. If I'd argue that Keylor Navas or whoever was a better goal keeper than De Gea in the past five years because he had better performances in the late CL stages, you would also call that idiotic because obviously this logic has many flaws.

So yeah, I don't really care how many goals they scored from the semis onwards. I rate their abilities and the impact they have for their teams and Messi is just a prodigy in these regards.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I was just making the point that for a lot of people 'best player' is also dependant on performances on the big stage and trophies won - which is reflected in the Ballon D'or haul over the last couple of years.
When people think this way, though, it's completely lacking in logic.

You cannot cite trophies won as evidence that one player is better than another, in a sport in which not only are there 22 players on the field, but also squads of 22 players are increasingly critical. There are too many factors over which the individual player has no control, or even influence.

Ronaldo won the Champions League last season despite not playing particularly well in the semi-finals or final (which Messi didn't have the opportunity to play in). If Liverpool's keeper hadn't had a stinker and Bale hadn't scored a wonderful goal, Ronaldo very well might not have won the Champions League. Would this have made him a worse player? Obviously not.

Such is the absurd emphasis on winning the Champions League, Messi is now apparently not one of the best three players in the world! According to UEFA, Luka Modric is a better player than Messi. Modric is a very fine player, but even his mum doesn't think he's better than Messi! He's scored 3 goals in the last 2 seasons, and only 13 in his Real Madrid career, from his playmaking role, while Messi has scored 106 in his last 112 appearances in his playmaking role. And I have absolutely no doubt that Modric's key contributions have been considerably less than Messi as well, while he obviously can't dribble like Messi (no-one can).

Messi has scored more free-kicks in the 2018 calendar year than Modric has scored total goals since 2014! Yet UEFA deem Modric to be better than Messi. We are to understand that Messi, because Barcelona did not win the Champions League, is not one of the best three players in the world, and not as good as Modric.

The guy played an absolute f*cking blinder for Barcelona last season, being decisive in match after match, making passes, assists, dribbles, goals, free-kicks, he was unbelievable. But because Barcelona didn't win the Champions League, he now suddenly becomes a lesser player.

This is the idiocy of the age we're living in.

MrEleson

Such is the absurd emphasis on winning the Champions League, Messi is now apparently not one of the best three players in the world! According to UEFA, Luka Modric is a better player than Messi. Modric is a very fine player, but even his mum doesn't think he's better than Messi! He's scored 3 goals in the last 2 seasons, and only 13 in his Real Madrid career, from his playmaking role, while Messi has scored 106 in his last 112 appearances in his playmaking role. And I have absolutely no doubt that Modric's key contributions have been considerably less than Messi as well, while he obviously can't dribble like Messi (no-one can).
Are you really gonna compare Modric's role to Messi's and simplify it down to "playmaking role?" :confused:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Hes just so good at football its mind boggling. His passing is unreal yet he does it with such ease and consistency. Must admit i do miss the younger more selfish aggressive version circa 2010-2013. The one who played futher forward and drove toward goal more. He used to dribble past so many teams with ease and much more frequently than now. Even with the gradual slowing down his intelligence has increased. You run out of superlatives for this guy.

Aloysius's Back 3

I do admire people who claim Messi isn't the best player they've ever seen. It's the type of fighting spirit needed in every successful forum.
Zlatan said it perfectly for me -

Messi is the greatest player because he is natural. Whilst C. Ronaldo is hard work.

To me - that's why I find C. Ronaldo better - he wasn't just born with the ability that messi had with his low centre of gravity- worked harder & it has shown in the different leagues & he international stage.

I'm no way calling messi lazy - just that C. Ronaldo is the type of player I'd want my kid to idolise - Messi may play more beautiful type of football but Ronaldo vs Messi is science vs Religion to me.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Messi is the greatest player because he is natural. Whilst C. Ronaldo is hard work.

To me - that's why I find C. Ronaldo better - he wasn't just born with the ability that messi had with his low centre of gravity- worked harder & it has shown in the different leagues & he international stage.

I'm no way calling messi lazy - just that C. Ronaldo is the type of player I'd want my kid to idolise - Messi may play more beautiful type of football but Ronaldo vs Messi is science vs Religion to me.
I never get involved in this messi vs ronaldo debate and neither should this thread be derailed onto it. However, this one sentence is the one that has rung in my head conclusively for the past 5-6 years. I love it.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Are you really gonna compare Modric's role to Messi's and simplify it down to "playmaking role?" :confused:
Show me anything that Modric does better than Messi.

Messi is a better passer. Messi creates more chances. Messi has better control. Messi is a better dribbler. Messi beats far more players. Messi is a better free-kick taker. Messi scores far more goals.

That applies to every other player on the planet as well, except Ronaldo has scored marginally more goals over the last couple of years because he plays as a pure poacher (yet is still compared to Messi, and people somehow think it's legitimate to point out that he scored slightly more goals than Messi, despite the fact that Messi plays far deeper).

How could anyone possibly consider Modric to be the superior player? It's literally laughable.
I'm no way calling messi lazy - just that C. Ronaldo is the type of player I'd want my kid to idolise.
I'd want my kid to have a brain, and recognise that Messi is the superior footballer. Not only that, but superior in virtually every department. The only attributes in which Ronaldo is superior to Messi are physical ones, such as strength. In every attribute related to the ball, Messi is better, and in several he is palpably better.

Even Ronaldo's son recognises that!

ArseHat

No questioning Cristiano’s mentality, but the bit about Messi’s smaller stature giving him a low center of gravity which gives him an advantage goes both ways. Cristiano has a physique that allows him to do things Messi can’t (like a towering header or a more powerful shot from distance, etc.) and vice versa.

Either way, both were supremely talented, but everyone knows talent only gets you so far. How many “next Messi/Ronaldo’s” do we hear about who fade into oblivion, meaning they displayed similar ability at a certain age, but for whatever reasons couldn’t fulfill their potential when they had all the ability. What’s clear is both have put in the work to get where they are and have used their god given abilities to their full potential for their and our benefit.

Sally Cinnamon

Very impressive how he has mastered free kicks in the last 2-3 years.

Pretty much at Beckham levels now. You just expect him to score.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I see your point, but feel that it would be difficult for my kid to live normally after developing a Narcissistic personality disorder.

Abhinav

Messi is a once in a lifetime genius. He is no longer the player he was in his prime but is still so effective. He doesn’t dribble like the way he used to but his passing and playmaking skills add another dimension to the game. The fact that he still goes and scores all these goals on top of everything else is just mind boggling. Ofcourse, the Barca team is tailored to enhance his talents but when you have a gem like him, it would be a crime not to do so.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's preposterous he wasn't shortlisted for the UEFA POTY nor the FIFA POTY.

I don't know how someone could watch his games last season and conclude 3 players performed better than him throughout the season.
Exactly. Looks like some journalists got carried away with the hype of other players. He was the reason why Barca won La Liga.

Hamadovich86

People take his performances for granted (same with Ronaldo), we will not see players at this level for some time. Mbappe has a real shot but it would take immense performances at the highest level for +10 years and so many trophies to do so.

Back to Messi, im in awe of him tbh the way he plays in attack amazes me I try to catch as many Barcelona games as I can just to watch him.

Cal?

CR7 fan
When people think this way, though, it's completely lacking in logic.

You cannot cite trophies won as evidence that one player is better than another, in a sport in which not only are there 22 players on the field, but also squads of 22 players are increasingly critical. There are too many factors over which the individual player has no control, or even influence.

Ronaldo won the Champions League last season despite not playing particularly well in the semi-finals or final (which Messi didn't have the opportunity to play in). If Liverpool's keeper hadn't had a stinker and Bale hadn't scored a wonderful goal, Ronaldo very well might not have won the Champions League. Would this have made him a worse player? Obviously not.

Messi has scored more free-kicks in the 2018 calendar year than Modric has scored total goals since 2014! Yet UEFA deem Modric to be better than Messi. We are to understand that Messi, because Barcelona did not win the Champions League, is not one of the best three players in the world, and not as good as Modric.

The guy played an absolute f*cking blinder for Barcelona last season, being decisive in match after match, making passes, assists, dribbles, goals, free-kicks, he was unbelievable. But because Barcelona didn't win the Champions League, he now suddenly becomes a lesser player.

This is the idiocy of the age we're living in.
That may have a lot to do with the incredible bottle job he was involved in against Roma.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have not mentioned the best player in the world even once in this thread, just discussing Messi like this thread is supposedly for.
If you know he's the best player, why do you always have to argue with others who don't share your view ? Insecure much ?

Cal?

CR7 fan
If you know he's the best player, why do you always have to argue with others who don't share your view ? Insecure much ?
I haven't argued about that at all in this thread, merely pointing out the incredible flaws in posts above, such as "Messi didn't get to play in the CL SF or final".

That has everything to do with him losing in the QF year after year, no?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I haven't argued about that at all in this thread, merely pointing out the incredible flaws in posts above, such as "Messi didn't get to play in the CL SF or final".

That has everything to do with him losing in the QF year after year, no?
But it all goes back to the same point, it's always the same thing.

Cal?

CR7 fan
But it all goes back to the same point, it's always the same thing.
That thing being the Messi fans overlooking all his flaws (eg the recent CL QFs) and just drool about him?

Micky Targaryen

Aside from his goal scoring prowess, his eye for an assist, the through balls, and his freekicks truly look effortless. I love our CR7, but Messi is truly the best player of this generation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just watched his goals, his second goal was just so good. It's like he is playing the game in easy mode and slow motion. Just passed the ball to the net.

Brilliant player, don't think we will see such a player again (at least in my life time).

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just like you do with your player, why does it bother you if some think Messi is the best ?
It's called having an opinion, just like having an even bigger issue with those who think Trump is a good president.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.