Lionel Messi

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ballon D’Or is based on calendar year accomplishments, not season.

Most goals+assists (top 5 league players) in year 2021 (club+country)

35 - Messi (26+9)

29 - Lewandowski (26+3)

26 - Gerard Moreno (19+7)

26 - Haaland (20+6)

26 - Mbappe (23+3)
Sure, but as mentioned, this is also Euro year, and winning big trophies and CL progression would always count more than just scoring a few more goals in the league. At this moment Messi is lacking in those. I’d think Mbappe has far bigger chance as France is more likely to win Euro than Argentina winning Copa (and Euro>Copa anyway), while Mbappe also had far better CL campaign than Messi too. (8 goals to semi final vs 5 goals to last 16).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Remember that Balon D Or is for the calendar year. Nobody has had a 2021 even near as good as Messi's. He tops every chart across all leagues for 2021.

Lewandowski was great last year, but he got injured this year and hasnt seen much playing time. Bayern will win the league which is a 1 horse unexciting race (opposed to La liga which is being one of the best and closest top league we have had in a long time). Has no chance of winning the Euro either so i dont think he's a contender. Sad for him because he should have won the last one.

If Messi wins the double, he's by far the favorite, all his transfer saga, the horrendous start of the season, only to come back and win those two trophies mainly thanks to Messi's ridiculous top form at 34, that put hims #1 easily. Catching Atletico and Madrid after being so far behind would be incredible.

Only one i can see snatching it from him is Mbappe, but so far ligue 1 and CL seem unlikely for him, which would leave the Euros as a last resort. Remember Messi has Copa America too.

Ronaldo, Bruno etc shouldnt even be mentioned in the conversation IMO.
Don’t count them out, if Portugal won Euro (or France) I would be very surprise if one of them didn’t win it (Ronaldo, Bruno, Mbappe). Also if Barca couldn’t win La Liga (they are currently 3rd) then there’s very slim chance for Messi winning it, unless Argentina won Copa. It’s all if and buts at the moment, the biggest decisive factors hasn’t been tabled out yet, so it’s rather pointless to predict who would win. Well, don’t be surprise even Lukaku could have a chance to win it if Belgium win Euro (Serie A + Euro + 27 goals + 10 assists), or De Bruyne (Treble + Euro + top class performance in Euro)

It’s could just be another 2018 situation, when no one could imagine the possibility of Modric winning it before the WC.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
According to ESPN, Messi will renew for 2 years and they will try to sign Neymar(not going to happen). And then apparently Messi will go to the MLS.

Rojow

He has said he would like to live in US at some point, so it could be. I really don't think he will play until his late 30s in Europe, even if he could. He is not that type of player.

VanKenny

Don’t count them out, if Portugal won Euro (or France) I would be very surprise if one of them didn’t win it (Ronaldo, Bruno, Mbappe). Also if Barca couldn’t win La Liga (they are currently 3rd) then there’s very slim chance for Messi winning it, unless Argentina won Copa. It’s all if and buts at the moment, the biggest decisive factors hasn’t been tabled out yet, so it’s rather pointless to predict who would win. Well, don’t be surprise even Lukaku could have a chance to win it if Belgium win Euro (Serie A + Euro + 27 goals + 10 assists), or De Bruyne (Treble + Euro + top class performance in Euro)

It’s could just be another 2018 situation, when no one could imagine the possibility of Modric winning it before the WC.

Well yeah, many things can happen, its only the start of May afterall.

All im saying, is that if Barcelona pull off the double, its going to be extremely hard for anybody to snatch it from Messi. Mbappe's CL + Eurowin would be the closest contender but still, even then it would be a tough one.

Ladron de redcafe

Another goal today to give him 30 league goals again to become the first player ever to score that much in 9 different seasons in the history of the top 5 leagues, as well as extending his pichici record to 8.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When will he actually make a decision? His contract expires in 6 weeks but seems little speculation.

He will also be playing for Argentina for most of June aswell with World cup qualifiers and then Copa America.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well yeah, many things can happen, its only the start of May afterall.

All im saying, is that if Barcelona pull off the double, its going to be extremely hard for anybody to snatch it from Messi. Mbappe's CL + Eurowin would be the closest contender but still, even then it would be a tough one.
They didn’t pull it off, so I think Messi must win Copa now to have any real chance.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

France winning the Euro is more realistic than Belgium winning it tbf.So i guess Mbappé has more chances.
Belgium record at Euro is pretty bad except for 1980, they would have to go against the odds, so it's a tough run for Lukaku and De Bruyne.But i reckon they have the quality to win the tournament now, hope they deliver, and don't choke like in 2016 when they got knocked out by Wales.
If they somehow get eliminated it should be only by the likes of Netherlands,France,Germany, Spain, or maybe Croatia...not by some tier 3 team like Wales.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not as bad as having your team go from winning the league 9 Straight times and ending up in Europa :lol: :lol: :lol:
nah mate.

la liga is all he has played all his life.

the same tactics. The same technique. The guys at 33 can’t win the league anymore whilst Barcelona continue to have better team than Real Madrid andAtheletico Madrid.

I just love it. Karma. Everybody loves Ronaldo for failing at Juventus but everyone rides Messi for continuing to fail season after season at the only league he has only ever played in. Bloody 5-6 years younger that Ronaldo. Ronaldo was winning CL’s with an average tactical coach like zidane at the same age when Messi is losing to celta vigo.

Hopefully he is depressed and he leaves and leaves for a good competitive league and let’s see what happens if he has a VDB like season :lol:

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
nah mate.

la liga is all he has played all his life.

the same tactics. The same technique. The guys at 33 can’t win the league anymore whilst Barcelona continue to have better team than Real Madrid andAtheletico Madrid.

I just love it. Karma. Everybody loves Ronaldo for failing at Juventus but everyone rides Messi for continuing to fail season after season at the only league he has only ever played in.

Hopefully he is depressed and he leaves and leaves for a good competitive league and then has a VDB like season :lol:
:lol: You sound like a moron

Bebestation

same like the Ronaldo haters every day after a match. I will come here after every loss this season he has had to celta vigo, every match that Messi has to break a sweat against and lose against Grenada, draw against Cadiz, draw against eibar, lose against Cadiz, draw against alaves, lose against getafe, draw against espanyol, loss against levante, loss against granada- all in a single year and that is missing results against Sevilla or athletic Bilbao which I felt can be accepted a bit more. That is some crazy crap results.

like look at those results. Goat my arse. More like a sheep. Every day we see the same people come to the Ronaldo thread tolaugh at him struggling at a defensive league he conquered last season - acting like Ronaldo has failed after after being the a top scorer for the team. Well the same shit foryour goat who has failed for Barcelona’s expectations with arguably the best players /players costing over 100m still wondering in the shirts of Barcelona.

meh your just as a moron as me plus a traditional never been to old trafford complainer seen from your fresh batch of dead wood thread calling a youth player like Williams deadwood when then every team has under 23 deadwood.

See you on the next Barcelona and Messi failure results guys. Been a real enjoyment to get one back from the consistent crap on the Ronaldo thread :D

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
same like the Ronaldo haters every day after a match. I will come here after every loss this season he has had to celta vigo, every match that Messi has to break a sweat against and lose against Grenada, draw against Cadiz, draw against eibar, lose against Cadiz, draw against alaves, lose against getafe, draw against espanyol, loss against levante, loss against granada- all in a single year and that is missing results against Sevilla or athletic Bilbao which I felt can be accepted a bit more. That is some crazy crap results.

like look at those results. Goat my arse. More like a sheep. Every day we see the same people come to the Ronaldo thread tolaugh at him struggling at a defensive league he conquered last season - acting like Ronaldo has failed after after being the a top scorer for the team. Well the same shit foryour goat who has failed for Barcelona’s expectations with arguably the best players /players costing over 100m still wondering in the shirts of Barcelona.

meh your just as a moron as me plus a traditional never been to old trafford complainer seen from your fresh batch of dead wood thread calling a youth player like Williams deadwood when then every team has under 23 deadwood.

See you on the next Barcelona and Messi failure results guys. Been a real enjoyment to get one back from the consistent crap on the Ronaldo thread :D
:lol: What the actual feck?! Gutter level posting

Pep's Suit

I refuse to believe that the majority of posters in these threads is older than 12 years.
I agree.

Anyway: "Messi completed (15) dribbles against Celta Vigo, equalling La Liga record (as far as data can go) set also by Messi (15 vs Betis, 2007/08)" :eek::eek:

Bebestation

I agree.

Anyway: "Messi completed (15) dribbles against Celta Vigo, equalling La Liga record (as far as data can go) set also by Messi (15 vs Betis, 2007/08)" :eek::eek:
dribbles vs celta vigo & betis what an easy career this guy has had 300 days per 365 days
:lol:
It’s why I say the goal vs getafe is one of the most overrated of all time.

one of the weakest teams. Maradona at least did it vs England

Ladron de redcafe

I refuse to believe that the majority of posters in these threads is older than 12 years.
:lol: What the actual feck?! Gutter level posting
Pretty much echoing everyone's posts. There really ought to be some quality control because some of these posts are just embarassing to read and don't belong on a moderated forum that has a high standard of posting.

Bebestation

Pretty much echoing everyone's posts. There really ought to be some quality control because some of these posts are just embarassing to read and don't belong on a moderated forum that has a high standard of posting.
I pretty much echo this. For the Ronaldo thread that is. Beautiful stuff.

Ronaldo in Europa wow

siiiiiuuuuu I guess?
Why Messi fans shouldn’t get moderated I have no idea.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
the same tactics. The same technique.
I have to agree on the technique bit. So far we have only seen Messi play with a football but what if he played with a square ball? He didn't even try a Rugby ball. Really needs to prove himself under different circumstances. CR7 can handle all sorts of balls.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Bebestation: I don't think Messi should've gotten his medical treatment as a youngster, so what if it had rendered him disabled.

Also Bebestation: You called Williams 'deadwood'? How dare you? The guy is below 23 you despicable human being.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
@Bebestation Are you being hypocritical/showing double standards on purpose, or are you genuinely just trying to be a WUM in this thread?
It’s fine to prefer a certain player over Messi if that’s how you see things - but you seem to paint a picture that Messi shouldn’t even be considered a top 5 player.

Bebestation

Bebestation: I don't think Messi should've gotten his medical treatment as a youngster, so what if it had rendered him disabled.

Also Bebestation: You called Williams 'deadwood'? How dare you? The guy is below 23 you despicable human being.
Is it hunny? You think I’m protecting williams because he is young with potential to grow? No. I’m Not protecting him at atoll. I’m saying that he didn’t cost us anything so he is hardly dead wood because that means every single young player who doesn’t make it to first team level is dead wood which I don’t agree with.

also Messi needs growth hormones or would have struggled Haha. Talk about natural ability eh. Is that doping if he took it when he was older ;)

anyway I’m done for today! Nice talking with the meh-ssi fans!

Bebestation

@Bebestation Are you being hypocritical/showing double standards on purpose, or are you genuinely just trying to be a WUM in this thread?
It’s fine to prefer a certain player over Messi if that’s how you see things - but you seem to paint a picture that Messi shouldn’t even be considered a top 5 player.
im just doing what the Messi boys do in the Ronaldo threads.

messi is the most technical player I’ve seen but he has also played in the league that allows technical on the floor football a lot like la liga all his life whilst he has always played for BRcelona who still after xavi and iniesta are able to hold on to possession football in number no matter how crap the tactics or the manager is.

he is the best technical player I have seen, but I have always felt that he has had elements of playing towards that technique that makes people drop their mouth a little bit.

he Is the best player I have technically seen but c Ronaldo is the best player I have mentally seen. this goes with his ambition toward wanting to try different teams and leagues out. Different leagues that play in different tactics and styles so he has to change the way he plays and adapt his game etc. just so much more that just the technical style of dribbling past 6 players of getafe.

I’m only here because I feel like people laugh at Ronaldo and the Ronaldo fans so i will do the same at the Messi fans because it’s a normal and fine thing to do that is allowed to happen.

take care.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
im just doing what the Messi boys do in the Ronaldo threads.

messi is the most technical player I’ve seen but he has also played in the league that allows technical on the floor football a lot like la liga all his life whilst he has always played for BRcelona who still after xavi and iniesta are able to hold on to possession football in number no matter how crap the tactics or the manager is.

he is the best technical player I have seen, but I have always felt that he has had elements of playing towards that technique that makes people drop their mouth a little bit.

he Is the best player I have technically seen but c Ronaldo is the best player I have mentally seen. this goes with his ambition toward wanting to try different teams and leagues out. Different leagues that play in different tactics and styles so he has to change the way he plays and adapt his game etc. just so much more that just the technical style of dribbling past 6 players of getafe.

I’m only here because I feel like people laugh at Ronaldo and the Ronaldo fans so i will do the same at the Messi fans because it’s a normal and fine thing to do that is allowed to happen.

take care.
I understand that, but surely it’s better to not stoop down to the pettiness of the “Messi fan boys”. You’re just as bad, if not, appear worse than them given the wording of some of your posts. Be nice if we can cut the toxicity/childish nature of the Messi and Ronaldo threads.
I’d like to think that the majority of people on the forum is mature enough to prefer one player or the other and not feel obliged to shit on the other player.

If you persist on going for the “I’m only doing it because they are doing it!”, then it’ll never end and it’ll just be the samey debate over and over again. Pages of regurgitation of why one person prefers one of the other.

It’s tiresome, from both sides. I just want to go to the individual Messi and Ronaldo threads to posts directly about the players themselves, including recent highlights of their quality. Not some shitshow of “MiNe’s BeTtEr tHaN yOuR’S”.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Is it hunny? You think I’m protecting williams because he is young with potential to grow?
Don't blame me. "Potential to grow" is clearly very important to you. I mean, you're the one who wants to ignore Messi's accomplishments because he wouldn't have had said potential without his hormone therapy.

But seriously, I don't think you're protecting him because of his potential. I think you're protecting him because you're naturally an incredibly biased individual with little to no capacity for self reflection. Instead, you're enormously tribal and very vulnerable to cognitive dissonances. If Messi had played for United and Cristiano for Barcelona, you'd be all over Messi instead. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how idiotic it is, but you my friend are taking it way too far, claiming that you can't take an athlete seriously because he was prescribed medication that prevented him from being disabled. This isn't your normal delusion, this is bordering contemptous. Literally everybody on this forum should call you out for this stuff. You wish disability on someone just because many people believe he's better at playing football than your favorite athlete. And not only that, by doing this you're also belittling people who suffer from the same condition but weren't as lucky as Messi. You're just a complete and utter disgrace of a football fan, the embodiment of the worst cliches one can find.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Don't blame me. "Potential to grow" is clearly very important to you. I mean, you're the one who wants to ignore Messi's accomplishments because he wouldn't have had said potential without his hormone therapy.

But seriously, I don't think you're protecting him because of his potential. I think you're protecting him because you're naturally an incredibly biased individual with little to no capacity for self reflection. Instead, you're enormously tribal and very vulnerable to cognitive dissonances. If Messi had played for United and Cristiano for Barcelona, you'd be all over Messi instead. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how idiotic it is, but you my friend are taking it way too far, claiming that you can't take an athlete seriously because he was prescribed medication that prevented him from being disabled. This isn't your normal delusion, this is bordering contemptous. Literally everybody on this forum should call you out for this stuff. You wish disability on someone just because many people believe he's better at playing football than your favorite athlete. And not only that, by doing this you're also belittling people who suffer from the same condition but weren't as lucky as Messi. You're just a complete and utter disgrace of a football fan, the embodiment of the worst cliches one can find.
unfortunately no. The reason I regard Ronaldo as the best I have ever seen is because he left Manchester United rather than played for Manchester United. He then also left Real Madrid. 3 top leagues .

anyway I have to go now due to quality control etc :) . I’m done here and will just be talking about messi’s performances for Barcelona, their results, their expectations and trophies

VanKenny

They didn’t pull it off, so I think Messi must win Copa now to have any real chance.
Yeah, i think its now between Lewa/Messi/De Bruyne/Mbappe. Individually, Messi has been by far the best this year, with 21 MOTM performances and an average rating of around 8.7. Closest one has like 10 MOTM performances.

So if things stay like this for the rest of the year, individual feats such as those ones may give Messi the edge, as there isnt really any clear winner this year on achievements and trophies.

Messi really needs a couple of great performances in Copa America though, dont think he can get away with another "just good" performance in a tourney with Argentina.