Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I am not clued up on this, but isn't it likely that this is all about the power politics in Barcelona, about elections and getting Bartomeu out? Nobody can afford Messi's wages in these tough times even if he leaves on free. Or to put it other way, to afford his wages, that club will have to make significant changes to their existing plans at last minute.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does feel like this is the season he goes tbh.

Has that sort of feeling around when Ronaldo wanted to leave Real.

Much like when Juve were the surprise club to take Ronaldo, I think Inter will be the ones to get Messi.
Messi playing with Lukaku will be quite something.

I think he'll stay at Barcelona.

DarkLord

Did he hand in a transfer request? If not, I don't believe he actually wants to leave Barca. And who can realistically afford him? Would be funny if Real Madrid bid for him.

DevilRed

Is this actually real?

Honestly would spend the money to sign him if he actually wanted to come here (doubtful due to language barrier etc.).

It would be amazing to have him for a couple of seasons. Maybe we'd actually win something for once.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Anyone knows what his contract situation is? Read that his clause to leave on a free has expired or has he actually activated it in foresight?

I believe if he hasn't, there's no chance since Barca won't let him leave. If he has, then everything's possible.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd be amazed if Messi was to leave Barcelona. Although if it was to happen I'd guess Man City would be one of the most likely places he would go.

DarkXaero

It's never going to happen but even now, I would love to see him play for United. Still the best in the world for me. Also, we should be concerned about his chances of ending up at City if he does leave Barca.

croadyman

It's never going to happen but even now, I would love to see him play for United. Still the best in the world for me. Also, we should be concerned about his chances of ending up at City if he does leave Barca.
We should but there is no way in a million years we can pay him the sort of wages that they would be able to

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol:

Like Sir Alex didn't leave his "comfort zone". Should have been more like Mourinho. Such a shame.
I don’t mean to be pedantic but Sir Alex left his comfort zone 3 times.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
City, Bayern, PSG IMO. Or a lucrative move to USA/China/Argentina (any oil-drenched Argentinian clubs?)
One of the three mentioned is not comparable to the other two. Bayern would never be able to/want to finance a Messi deal, whereas City or PSG could, if they really wanted. Although average wages are pretty high in Munich, it's still nothing compared to what Messi is earning at Barcelona - sponsored financing or not. For those reasons, the chance of Messi going to Bayern and me winning the lottery are pretty much the same.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I mean, like, sure. But, no.
You’re trying to use an analogy where Messi and Ferguson are both the GOATs who achieved greatness at a single club, only Ferguson’s achievements extend beyond United and he left 3 clubs he could have comfortably stayed at.

amolbhatia50k

You’re trying to use an analogy where Messi and Ferguson are both the GOATs who achieved greatness at a single club, only Ferguson’s achievements extend beyond United and he left 3 clubs he could have comfortably stayed at.
Nope. The analogy is perfectly apt as SAF stayed at United when he could have moved elsewhere as the likes of Mourinho and Pep did, and you were being a tad pedantic.

Of course if Messi was at Rangers, he wouldn't have remained "in his comfort zone" when bigger clubs came calling as that would have been genuinely absurd. The question is are you willing to leave a giant club that you clearly love and is leaving that club inherently a positive/staying a negative. That is what is common.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Realise it would never happen because we're all horribly selfish individuals, but if Messi's ridiculous wages are a barrier to him having 1 or 2 more good years at Barcelona, why wouldn't the man just agree a paycut to stay at his club, and use the money to ensure he has a great last season or two by buying new talent? He will be absolutely filthy rich for the rest of his life, and has ensured his family will be too for who knows how many generations.

What does an extra 15-20m a year for 2 years mean to him now? Wouldn't it mean more to get one more major trophy? In 20 years if he were to look back, I know what the answer would be.

Pep's Suit

He's got two or three years left so if he moves he can only join a 'complete' team (City or PSG).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The question is are you willing to leave a giant club that you clearly love and is leaving that club inherently a positive/staying a negative.
Another question is whether people actually believe that Messi would've been "found out" (insert any other silly buzz phrase if you like) if he had left Barcelona at any point after he broke through?

"Comfort zone" is a nice term to throw around, but the relevance is dubious. A football player isn't better - as a football player - for leaving his "comfort zone". As a human being? Possibly, yes - but depending heavily on the circumstances.

amolbhatia50k

Why do you even bother amol :lol:
I know, really should refrain!

It's like WhatsApp family groups where you have to tell yourself not to respond to the rubbish posted by uncles and aunties :D

UpWithRivers

I have no idea how Messie supposedly has so much power over Barca. 'Give me what I want or Ill leave' 'Eh...ok. Good luck with that!'
100 mill a year or whatever he's on. No one will pay that. Not even PSG or City

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I know, really should refrain!

It's like WhatsApp family groups where you have to tell yourself not to respond to the rubbish posted by uncles and aunties :D
:lol:
I have no idea how Messie supposedly has so much power over Barca. 'Give me what I want or Ill leave' 'Eh...ok. Good luck with that!'
100 mill a year or whatever he's on. No one will pay that. Not even PSG or City
Think he's on a million euros a week, gross. If it's within FFP - I am sure both those clubs would gladly pay that. The problem would be the transfer on top of the wage.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Nope. The analogy is perfectly apt as SAF stayed at United when he could have moved elsewhere as the likes of Mourinho and Pep did, and you were being a tad pedantic.

Of course if Messi was at Rangers, he wouldn't have remained "in his comfort zone" when bigger clubs came calling as that would have been genuinely absurd. The question is are you willing to leave a giant club that you clearly love and is leaving that club inherently a positive/staying a negative. That is what is common.
This is a gowly post.

Stop with the gowly posts.

You're wrong.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
One of the three mentioned is not comparable to the other two. Bayern would never be able to/want to finance a Messi deal, whereas City or PSG could, if they really wanted. Although average wages are pretty high in Munich, it's still nothing compared to what Messi is earning at Barcelona - sponsored financing or not. For those reasons, the chance of Messi going to Bayern and me winning the lottery are pretty much the same.

I imagine Bayern win the CL and in their exuberance decide to offer Messi a 100m a year contract lasting until 2025 despite their Covid 19 pressured finances. He comes to the Bundesliga, proves every hater wrong with inspiring performances of unprecedented brillance only to then accomplish the greatest deed in his whole career, his last present to the world of football: Driving Bayern into bankruptcy.

UpWithRivers

Think he's on a million euros a week, gross. If it's within FFP - I am sure both those clubs would gladly pay that. The problem would be the transfer on top of the wage.
I think he is one of very few players that also is in control of his image rights. Also he has other benefits. Plus yeah there is the actual fee. Lets say if they get him and give him a 3 year contract that will cost 300 - 400 mill maybe more. For a 33 year old that would be bat sht crazy for any team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think he is one of very few players that also is in control of his image rights. Also he has other benefits. Plus yeah there is the actual fee. Lets say if they get him and give him a 3 year contract that will cost 300 - 400 mill maybe more. For a 33 year old that would be bat sht crazy for any team.
I guess that, too. If he really wants out, he has to wait another year or he's willing to accept pay cuts. But if the reports are true and he really does want to leave as urgently as it seems, he may even be okay with that.

LoneStar

If he really wants to go, I think Barca would let him go for a reasonable amount. But even then the transfer fee + wages for him would put him out of reach for most clubs.

Think his best chance is to leave on a free next season.

Zlatanator

If we are going to make one signing in this window then rather be it Messi. He will simply lift the spirits up in the camp instantly and every other team member would look forward to training with him. I can see us winning a major cup within two seasons.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Depends on his transfer fee but I assume Barca would let him go for a "reasonable" fee due to his age, and years of service.

Not disputing that he'd cost a bomb at this age, but he'd do a lot for the profile of those 2 clubs, on top of his productivity on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.